Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Does the SEC/ESPN deal benefit the SBC by osmosis?
Bookmark and Share
wwwyzzrd Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: stAte
Does the SEC/ESPN deal benefit the SBC by osmosis?
I ask because of streaming….
I read a while back that when the SEC/ABC deal starts, ESPN is looking to move more of the tier 2/3 SEC games over to streaming only, and would likely be discontinuing the SEC alternate channel entirely.

For the SBC, and especially the western division, does this bode well for us? In Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Alabama, there are fan bases that will already be paying to receive SBC content, and as a football fan I can attest to the fact that if I live in Alabama and my favorite team isn’t playing, I’m likely to watch Troy or South Alabama…….before I may not have had the option.

*Disclosure*
Please don’t bite my head off for the way I asked the question….I understand that it could come across as me calling the SBC schools “little brother”, but the higher viewership amongst SEC schools is the entire point of my asking.
08-24-2022 07:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TheOriginalBigApp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian
RE: Does the SEC/ESPN deal benefit the SBC by osmosis?
SBC is sitting a very good spot. Just be who we are and do what we do, have some patience and enough grit to keep improving.
08-24-2022 07:27 PM
Herdfan1 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: The Herd
(08-24-2022 07:08 PM)wwwyzzrd Wrote:  I ask because of streaming….
I read a while back that when the SEC/ABC deal starts, ESPN is looking to move more of the tier 2/3 SEC games over to streaming only, and would likely be discontinuing the SEC alternate channel entirely.

For the SBC, and especially the western division, does this bode well for us? In Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Alabama, there are fan bases that will already be paying to receive SBC content, and as a football fan I can attest to the fact that if I live in Alabama and my favorite team isn’t playing, I’m likely to watch Troy or South Alabama…….before I may not have had the option.

*Disclosure*
Please don’t bite my head off for the way I asked the question….I understand that it could come across as me calling the SBC schools “little brother”, but the higher viewership amongst SEC schools is the entire point of my asking.

More streaming...but we just got away from FB *exhausted giggle*
08-25-2022 12:48 AM
MUsince96 Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
I thought their contract said each team would only have one game on ESPN+. Like when Alabama plays The Citadel. Not sure there's going to be that many streaming only SEC games.
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2022 09:20 AM by MUsince96.)
08-25-2022 07:31 AM
Advertisement

wwwyzzrd Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: stAte
(08-25-2022 07:31 AM)MUsince96 Wrote:  I thought their contract said each team would only have one game on ESPN. Like when Alabama plays The Citadel. Not sure there's going to be that many streaming only SEC games.

I think that deal is in addition to content they already have through 2034……I wouldn’t expect to much disturbance to the current tv model until that date gets a bit closer.

When you couple the shuffling with the fact the SEC is adding at a minimum 2 more teams, and could possibly add more in the coming years, then the excess content will need a home, and that home can ONLY be an espn property.
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2022 09:11 AM by wwwyzzrd.)
08-25-2022 09:10 AM
MUsince96 Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
(08-25-2022 09:10 AM)wwwyzzrd Wrote:  
(08-25-2022 07:31 AM)MUsince96 Wrote:  I thought their contract said each team would only have one game on ESPN. Like when Alabama plays The Citadel. Not sure there's going to be that many streaming only SEC games.

I think that deal is in addition to content they already have through 2034……I wouldn’t expect to much disturbance to the current tv model until that date gets a bit closer.

When you couple the shuffling with the fact the SEC is adding at a minimum 2 more teams, and could possibly add more in the coming years, then the excess content will need a home, and that home can ONLY be an espn property.

Meant to say one ESPN+ game per SEC team, originally.

SEC is an ESPN only property anyway with the new deal starting in 2024.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2020/12...acing-cbs/

This says 1 ESPN+ football game per team and two men's basketball.
08-25-2022 09:24 AM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
ESPN will be looking for advertising dollars, and like or not, there are more dollars associated with any SEC game compared to SBC. That said, it won't hurt us any, might help, and there are a lot worse things to be considered than the SECs little brother. If we become the SEC of the G5, that aint so bad.
08-25-2022 09:27 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.