Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2 weeks out
Bookmark and Share
MUther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
CrappiesCrappies
2 weeks out
Should we get some game threads up in this biotch or what?
08-20-2022 12:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WinstonTheWolf Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Arkansas State
RE: 2 weeks out
A-State opens on Saturday the 3rd against Grambling State. Should be favored 26 or so . . . won't learn much about the team except names of new guys starting/on two-deep. Interested in how speedy and shifty RB Brian Snead and slot WR Champ Flemings look. Also want to see how comfortable former DE Kivon Bennett looks at LB.
08-20-2022 07:30 AM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(08-20-2022 12:56 AM)MUther Wrote:  Should we get some game threads up in this biotch or what?

Usually we wait until game week, mainly because in the past some of the less important games will get hidden on like page 3 if it starts too early, and then we get duplicate threads

Still trying to figure out the best way to do this with 14 teams playing at the same time instead of 10.
08-20-2022 02:28 PM
MUther Offline
Heisman

CrappiesCrappies
(08-20-2022 02:28 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(08-20-2022 12:56 AM)MUther Wrote:  Should we get some game threads up in this biotch or what?

Usually we wait until game week, mainly because in the past some of the less important games will get hidden on like page 3 if it starts too early, and then we get duplicate threads

Still trying to figure out the best way to do this with 14 teams playing at the same time instead of 10.

Won't be too bad once we get into conference play. You'll have bye weeks and conference vs conference so it's only 5-6 games a week.

I agree with the same week thing, but thought first week might be different since we're all here waiting.

Could always make a game thread subsection and purge it on Mondays after the game into genpop.
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2022 03:49 PM by MUther.)
08-20-2022 03:46 PM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion

Well we’ve already got 2 started for VT @ ODU. We’ll try to limit it to no more than 3.
03-drunk
08-20-2022 04:21 PM
KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

I Root For: JMU

You guys have a particular person that normally does game threads and/or a particular format or is it just kinda whoever however? BDK normally does ours. Doesn't look like he's posted over here much or any, but he hasn't been real active over the summer anyway so maybe he and others will hop over here more once the season starts.
08-20-2022 04:21 PM
Advertisement

WinstonTheWolf Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Arkansas State
(08-20-2022 04:21 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  

You guys have a particular person that normally does game threads and/or a particular format or is it just kinda whoever however? BDK normally does ours. Doesn't look like he's posted over here much or any, but he hasn't been real active over the summer anyway so maybe he and others will hop over here more once the season starts.

I think it is mods/structured/consistent.
08-20-2022 06:41 PM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
(08-20-2022 06:41 PM)WinstonTheWolf Wrote:  

Hhhhmmm…..that’s different from the CUSA board, there the thread with the most asterisks in the title won the official status.
08-20-2022 08:11 PM
MUther Offline
Heisman

CrappiesCrappies
(08-20-2022 08:11 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  

Hhhhmmm…..that’s different from the CUSA board, there the thread with the most asterisks in the title won the official status.

That damn Charlotte admin came and added those even if you didn't put them in. I do think a game thread subsection would be nice to have them all in the same spot and not get moved down the board. Then you just free the old threads after the game and make the new ones for the week. That way the previous week could still be relevant and discussed without overwriting the following week's game. And for god's sake can we edit a final score into the thread title after the game? Nothing like sorting through 30 pages of game posts and not even knowing who won or lost.
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2022 11:43 PM by MUther.)
08-20-2022 11:41 PM
chiefsfan Offline

No policy on who starts it, though we request the formatting of the title indicate the same key things

1. It says "Game Thread" and lists the teams playing
2. It lists the kickoff time
3. It lists the TV network

For bigger games, such as like GS/App, we often will do a discussion thread the week of, and then start the game thread day of the game, to keep the threat from getting 30 pages before the game starts. The idea of the game threads is that fans can follow the game live and comment on it, not have to scroll 30 pages to find the first quarter.

The reason for this is simple: Game threads are more tightly moderated than discussion threads. We're less tolerant on arguments or random off topic tangents in those threads, and will quickly move or remove posts that go off topic. In discussion threads, we're a little more lenient on smack talk etc. We want the game thread to discuss the game...not how Beautiful Eagle Creek is likely an eradiated dump site.
08-21-2022 12:02 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(08-20-2022 11:41 PM)MUther Wrote:  
(08-20-2022 02:28 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Usually we wait until game week, mainly because in the past some of the less important games will get hidden on like page 3 if it starts too early, and then we get duplicate threads

That damn Charlotte admin came and added those even if you didn't put them in. I do think a game thread subsection would be nice to have them all in the same spot and not get moved down the board. Then you just free the old threads after the game and make the new ones for the week. That way the previous week could still be relevant and discussed without overwriting the following week's game. And for god's sake can we edit a final score into the thread title after the game? Nothing like sorting through 30 pages of game posts and not even knowing who won or lost.

Yeah, we don't do that here. Nor do we need asterisks. The thing to remember on game threads here is some games get little discussion because its an FCS opponent, or 90 percent of the fans of the teams involved are actually at the game and can't comment. VT/ODU is going to get a ton of discussion likely be very lengthy, and be watched by everyone because its a Friday game. Nichols vs South Alabama might get a few posts.

As for final score. That's up to the author of the thread. I generally don't edit threads. I MIGHT edit a title to put the TV network in if the game is on like ESPNU or something and its not widely known. Any edit we make needs to benefit the conference in general, unless there's an obvious rule violation etc.
08-21-2022 12:11 PM
Advertisement

MUther Offline
Heisman

CrappiesCrappies
(08-21-2022 12:11 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(08-20-2022 11:41 PM)MUther Wrote:  
(08-20-2022 04:21 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  You guys have a particular person that normally does game threads and/or a particular format or is it just kinda whoever however? BDK normally does ours. Doesn't look like he's posted over here much or any, but he hasn't been real active over the summer anyway so maybe he and others will hop over here more once the season starts.

Yeah, we don't do that here. Nor do we need asterisks. The thing to remember on game threads here is some games get little discussion because its an FCS opponent, or 90 percent of the fans of the teams involved are actually at the game and can't comment. VT/ODU is going to get a ton of discussion likely be very lengthy, and be watched by everyone because its a Friday game. Nichols vs South Alabama might get a few posts.

As for final score. That's up to the author of the thread. I generally don't edit threads. I MIGHT edit a title to put the TV network in if the game is on like ESPNU or something and its not widely known. Any edit we make needs to benefit the conference in general, unless there's an obvious rule violation etc.

I think seeing the final score benefits the whole conference. I'd rather come here and see them than go to ESPN and look up the belt to see who won the games. Just a request but I'm good either way.
08-21-2022 12:24 PM
EigenEagle Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
I've never really had a problem with the volume of game threads on this board.

I do TBH find the use of all the asterisks on the CUSA board for game threads to be annoying and more distracting than helpful.

Generally I think games with an FCS or P5 where there's a heavy favorite don't need game threads (unless it's unexpectedly close) but that's usually not an issue here, either.

In short, I'm fine with what we've been doing and we don't need to change policy unless problems come up.
08-21-2022 12:38 PM
Goronic Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
(08-21-2022 12:38 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  I've never really had a problem with the volume of game threads on this board.

I do TBH find the use of all the asterisks on the CUSA board for game threads to be annoying and more distracting than helpful.

Generally I think games with an FCS or P5 where there's a heavy favorite don't need game threads (unless it's unexpectedly close) but that's usually not an issue here, either.

In short, I'm fine with what we've been doing and we don't need to change policy unless problems come up.

I would like a thread for every SBC game to be honest. Regardless of the opponent. Just my 2 cents...

Heck I would almost like to see it automated:

Thread title could be "Team A vs Team B - Date Time - Network"

"Every game counts"
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2022 02:23 PM by Goronic.)
08-22-2022 02:20 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(08-22-2022 02:20 PM)Goronic Wrote:  
(08-21-2022 12:38 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  I've never really had a problem with the volume of game threads on this board.

I would like a thread for every SBC game to be honest. Regardless of the opponent. Just my 2 cents...

Thread title could be "Team A vs Team B - Date/Time - Network"

"Every game counts"

Automated? You want a bot to create game threads? Why don't we just ask A40 to do it then, that's the closest thing to a bot I know.
08-22-2022 02:24 PM
Troy_Fan_15 Offline
Sun Belt Apologist

I Root For: Troy Trojans
(08-22-2022 02:24 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

"Every game counts"

Automated? You want a bot to create game threads? Why don't we just ask A40 to do it then, that's the closest thing to a bot I know.

I dare you guys or whoever to allow them back. Double-dog dare you. 05-stirthepot
08-22-2022 02:27 PM
Advertisement

Goronic Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State

"Every game counts"

I would prefer a person! :) - but I wouldn't care if it was a bot that created the thread. Again, I would much prefer a team FAN to do it.

Frankly, I love reading threads during games as I watch - and watch every SBC game I can. The thread chatter adds a lot for folks that aren't attending the games (and getting a few pics and comments from ones that are there during TV timeouts)
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2022 02:28 PM by Goronic.)
08-22-2022 02:27 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(08-22-2022 02:27 PM)Troy_Fan_15 Wrote:  

"Every game counts"

I dare you guys or whoever to allow them back. Double-dog dare you. 05-stirthepot

That goes well above my paygrade good sir.
08-22-2022 02:28 PM
Troy_Fan_15 Offline
Sun Belt Apologist

I Root For: Troy Trojans
Pre-Game Thread
1st Half thread
Halftime Thoughts thread
2nd Half thread
Immediate post-game thoughts thread
1 Week after post-game thoughts thread

Is that really too much to ask for? 03-wink

In all seriousness I second Goronic and say let there be a thread for each game. It'll eventually be less crazy when conference play begins.
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2022 02:30 PM by Troy_Fan_15.)
08-22-2022 02:30 PM
FairwayEagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
****SBC3 Will Have To Adjust To No Asterisks In Game Thread Titles****

So give us a week or two...
08-22-2022 02:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.