UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

BIG10 announces TV rights deals totaling over $7 Billion with Fox, CBS and NBC
Golden-Ticket Offline
1st String

I Root For: UAB
BIG10 announces TV rights deals totaling over $7 Billion with Fox, CBS and NBC
Only current article I saw was the athletic which is a subscription based website but here is the link : https://theathletic.com/3518414/2022/08/...ls-rights/

Here is a good blurb;
“The Athletic has confirmed that CBS and NBC are each paying around $350 million per year for their Big Ten packages, and sources said that the Big Ten’s new rights agreements are worth more than $7 billion over the seven-year term. That would make it the largest rights deal ever” also this is a 7 year deal meaning they will be open again before the SEC’s deal in 2034
08-18-2022 08:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Golden-Ticket Offline
1st String

RE: BIG10 announces TV rights deals totaling over $7 Billion with Fox, CBS and NBC
08-18-2022 08:55 AM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: BIG10 announces TV rights deals totaling over $7 Billion with Fox, CBS and NBC
The WSJ is reporting the deal to be 7.5 billion over 7 yrs.

WSJ - B1G new TV Rights Deal worth 7.5 billion

1. Fox does not have exclusive rights to the first pick of B1G games to show on their network.

2. An escalator clause allows the tv deal to go up to potentially 10 billion over 7 yrs if the B1G decides to expand.

3. The B1G Championship Game will rotate between the three major networks.
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2022 10:46 AM by HiddenDragon.)
08-18-2022 09:47 AM
C-Finder Offline
All American

Exclamation RE: BIG10 announces TV rights deals totaling over $7 Billion with Fox, CBS and NBC
Big 10 for the win! 04-rock

[Image: rick-ross-hell-yeah.gif]
08-18-2022 09:52 AM
DuelingDragon Offline
All American

The market has now been set for Notre Dame. They now know what is available if they cannot get the number they are looking for from NBC (or whomever)
08-18-2022 10:13 AM
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

Basketball basically on BTN, FS1 and Peacock will suck for them. Did Judy and CUSA help with that part of the negotiations?
08-18-2022 10:43 AM
Advertisement

DuelingDragon Offline
All American

Huge difference in the Big Ten fan bases and CUSA fan bases, though. The average C-USA school has a fraction of the potential audience of even the lowest B1G school. But yeah, could still be some visibility issues for Big Ten with this, I think. Maybe not with their own fans but definitely could see it hurting as far as reaching beyond that.
08-18-2022 10:46 AM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(08-18-2022 10:43 AM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  Basketball basically on BTN, FS1 and Peacock will suck for them. Did Judy and CUSA help with that part of the negotiations?

I don't think it suck for them at all. I can find all of those networks/streaming service with ease.
08-18-2022 10:48 AM
Golden-Ticket Offline
1st String

Heck I already have all those streaming services
08-18-2022 10:54 AM
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-18-2022 10:48 AM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  
(08-18-2022 10:43 AM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  Basketball basically on BTN, FS1 and Peacock will suck for them. Did Judy and CUSA help with that part of the negotiations?

I don't think it suck for them at all. I can find all of those networks/streaming service with ease.

Big difference from ESPN and those others, though, in terms of eas of access. Many folks put the TV on a channel and leave it or check the primary channels not wanting to hunt for a game. I watch a lot of sports and unless its a game I want to see I don't look for it. The typical sports fan is not going to switch channels 3-4 times on a Saturday or twice on a weekday. I went through this w/CUSA BB (and, to a lesser degree, FB) games as I had to search for the game. I eventually got tired of it and watched something else I could depend on.
08-18-2022 11:20 AM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(08-18-2022 11:20 AM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  
(08-18-2022 10:48 AM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  

Big difference from ESPN and those others, though, in terms of eas of access. Many folks put the TV on a channel and leave it or check the primary channels not wanting to hunt for a game. I watch a lot of sports and unless its a game I want to see I don't look for it. The typical sports fan is not going to switch channels 3-4 times on a Saturday or twice on a weekday. I went through this w/CUSA BB (and, to a lesser degree, FB) games as I had to search for the game. I eventually got tired of it and watched something else I could depend on.

Ease of access is going to be the same across the board eventually. Again, if you have a streaming service with live tv you're going to get FS1 and the BTN. And Peacock is as easy to download than finding ESPN 2, 3, News, or Plus. Add to the fact NBC, Fox, and CBS are going to be pushing their streaming services so hard during their national broadcast of B1G games and whoever else they sign it's going to be pretty hard to ignore and not be able to find.

The ESPN thing is a non-starter now.
08-18-2022 11:43 AM
Advertisement

DuelingDragon Offline
All American

I think any existing big ten fan who is interested can find the games they are interested in wherever they are. What you risk losing is the random channel flipper who just stops on a game. I watch a ton of random college basketball games during the season but I am probably not going to Peacock to find them. But if I was a Minnesota fan and wanted to watch the gophers play iowa, pretty sure I’m there wherever if is streamed. This is what really hurt the cusa teams — the lack of visibility truly put the conference out of sight and out of mind with mainstream college football, not that their own fans were lost. I am guessing most people who really wanted to watch Southern Miss play FAU on Stadium found it just fine. But if it was a great game, nobody was calling it Fun Belt or whatever slogan came along …. This visibility on mainline media is way more important to a league like cusa than the big ten ….
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2022 12:40 PM by DuelingDragon.)
08-18-2022 12:38 PM
The Answer UAB Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB!!!
It's easy to find UAB games now.

Stadium, as janky of a channel as it is, is available on a lot of cable services, or is very easy to stream.

ESPN+ was like $5 a month last year, and is easy as opening the espn app on your phone to watch our games.

CBS sports/sports network is also on a lot of cable services, and is easy to stream.
08-18-2022 02:13 PM
C-Finder Offline
All American

$EC still cuffed up to ABC/E$PN 03-lmfao
08-18-2022 02:19 PM
demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
(08-18-2022 02:13 PM)The Answer UAB Wrote:  CBS sports/sports network is also on a lot of cable services, and is easy to stream.

I agreed with your post until this point. I have not found this easy to stream at all and I'm a long-time Paramount+ (CBS) subscriber.
08-18-2022 03:49 PM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(08-18-2022 03:49 PM)demiveeman Wrote:  
(08-18-2022 02:13 PM)The Answer UAB Wrote:  CBS sports/sports network is also on a lot of cable services, and is easy to stream.

I agreed with your post until this point. I have not found this easy to stream at all and I'm a long-time Paramount+ (CBS) subscriber.

This. If you don't have Spectrum (sucks) or pay for the sports tier package on cable or with a streaming service then you will not get CBSSN. The only way you can get it on Paramount Plus or the CBS Sports app is if your tv provider carries the channel.
08-18-2022 04:54 PM
Advertisement

UABFRENCHY Offline
Heisman

Donators
Roku tv where most channel is an app
08-18-2022 08:12 PM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
(08-18-2022 04:54 PM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  

This. If you don't have Spectrum (sucks) or pay for the sports tier package on cable or with a streaming service then you will not get CBSSN. The only way you can get it on Paramount Plus or the CBS Sports app is if your tv provider carries the channel.

I get it through YouTubeTV
08-19-2022 09:34 AM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(08-19-2022 09:34 AM)blazers9911 Wrote:  
(08-18-2022 04:54 PM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  

I get it through YouTubeTV

I forgot YouTube, I just dropped it and went with Hulu Live TV because it included Disney Plus. I liked YouTube but I couldn't figure out how to save my favorite channels.
08-19-2022 09:58 AM
GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

(08-18-2022 02:19 PM)C-Finder Wrote:  $EC still cuffed up to ABC/E$PN 03-lmfao

...kinda like the AAC? 03-phew03-shhhh ...I'm not sure if they have any other media deals - seems like I've seen a few AAC games on CBSSN or something...
08-19-2022 09:59 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.