UNCW makes top 100 list
08-05-2022 12:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
RE: UNCW makes top 100 list
picked us to win CAA, WOW, Ballsy given the amount of talent we lost.
08-05-2022 12:49 PM
Proff Offline
1st String

UNCW makes top 100 list
Nice write up except for the fact that it seems Coach Saddle has replaced Coach Siddle as coach.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2022 01:03 PM by Proff.)
08-05-2022 01:01 PM
70shawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Brandon University
(08-05-2022 01:01 PM)Proff Wrote:  Nice write up except for the fact that it seems Coach Saddle has replaced Coach Siddle as coach.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Bold coaching change by move by Jimmy Bass. We went as far as we could with Siddle. Who know how far Coach Saddle can take us?
08-05-2022 04:31 PM
Advertisement

Seahawk2010 Offline
Special Teams

(08-05-2022 12:49 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  picked us to win CAA, WOW, Ballsy given the amount of talent we lost.

No other CAA team stands out after this past offseason. Why not UNCW? Siddle has proven he can coach. We added talent with the transfers and brought in two quality freshman. Once again this team may not shine early in the season but by CAA play we will be in contention for first place.
08-05-2022 08:04 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
This writer, unlike many, had a good grasp on the players who left and who are coming on board. It's at least nice to get an informed opinion on the team.
08-05-2022 08:20 PM
70shawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Brandon University
(08-05-2022 08:20 PM)82hawk Wrote:  This writer, unlike many, had a good grasp on the players who left and who are coming on board. It's at least nice to get an informed opinion on the team.

True. However, after all the machinations last season to make Phillps the SG, I doubt he gets moved back to point. I'm assuming Newby and Jamari Thomas both will run point.
08-06-2022 05:46 PM
Advertisement

82hawk Offline
Heisman

(08-06-2022 05:46 PM)70shawk Wrote:  
(08-05-2022 08:20 PM)82hawk Wrote:  This writer, unlike many, had a good grasp on the players who left and who are coming on board. It's at least nice to get an informed opinion on the team.

True. However, after all the machinations last season to make Phillps the SG, I doubt he gets moved back to point. I'm assuming Newby and Jamari Thomas both will run point.

That's what I'd expect.
08-06-2022 08:26 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-05-2022 08:04 PM)Seahawk2010 Wrote:  
(08-05-2022 12:49 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  picked us to win CAA, WOW, Ballsy given the amount of talent we lost.

No other CAA team stands out after this past offseason. Why not UNCW? Siddle has proven he can coach. We added talent with the transfers and brought in two quality freshman. Once again this team may not shine early in the season but by CAA play we will be in contention for first place.

I don't dislike what has been brought in at all, but when you lose as much as we did, usually you won't get picked to finish first that's all i was saying. We had substantial upper class leadership that accounted for a significant percentage of our scoring, that's all gone.
08-07-2022 07:39 PM
billthebighawksfan Offline
All American

See next post, my bad.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2022 08:07 PM by billthebighawksfan.)
08-07-2022 07:58 PM
Advertisement

billthebighawksfan Offline
All American

(08-07-2022 07:58 PM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  Interesting read. I don’t mind his projected lineup actually although I could easily see Kelly either starting or playing a bunch because he is solid.

Harvey has all the tools to be a great 2. He can really shoot it, can drive it now a bit and can defend pretty well too. Shy has to be on the court so he could move back to PG if need be.

I do like Thomas playing PG too. His defense really looked good in the CIT and you can envision him really being able to drive the ball ( like Shy) and do some good things. Hopefully he and Shy have continued to get 3 balls up because they are both so hard to stop that defenses will prefer to see them prove things a bit.

I would like to see White at 3 some. He can defend and is so athletic. If he can get his 3 ball rolling, he would really be a problem. I wouldn’t mind seeing Hayes get a look here too as he is so long and athletic.

Going big at the 4 would be interesting and Eric Van Der Heiden may be the answer. There are other options too like Hayes who is very athletic and skilled.

You have to weigh in 2 really good offensive players like Newby and Farrar too. Both can absolutely shoot the ball. Shooters find a way onto the court.

Who knows about the freshmen too? Both are reputably good and McGriff has had a year now.

Talent is definitely there but is it too early to project the Hawks # 1? We will see.
08-07-2022 08:04 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

(08-07-2022 07:39 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  

I don't dislike what has been brought in at all, but when you lose as much as we did, usually you won't get picked to finish first that's all i was saying. We had substantial upper class leadership that accounted for a significant percentage of our scoring, that's all gone.

This is where I thought the writers knowledge of what we lost and what we have coming in guided his evaluation. Yes we lost four seniors who played a lot, but we brought in far more than we lost. As I look at who we keep, and our new guys coming in, the talent and size is pretty substantial. Thomas, Phillips, Harvey, White and Kelly could be a decent starting five if we didn't add much, but we added a lot of size and talent. We'll see how they look together on the court, but this roster has an upside that far exceeds the team last year. And we have the size to compete in the NCAA tournament if we can get there. This is the biggest overall team size i've seen at UNCW in a long time.
08-08-2022 05:01 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-08-2022 05:01 AM)82hawk Wrote:  
(08-07-2022 07:39 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  

This is where I thought the writers knowledge of what we lost and what we have coming in guided his evaluation. Yes we lost four seniors who played a lot, but we brought in far more than we lost. As I look at who we keep, and our new guys coming in, the talent and size is pretty substantial. Thomas, Phillips, Harvey, White and Kelly could be a decent starting five if we didn't add much, but we added a lot of size and talent. We'll see how they look together on the court, but this roster has an upside that far exceeds the team last year. And we have the size to compete in the NCAA tournament if we can get there. This is the biggest overall team size i've seen at UNCW in a long time.
Again, I don't dislike what has been brought in, But a lot of it is unknown. Our last game last year guys that will no longer be on the roster had almost 85% of our points. That's a lot. Here's to hoping his pick is right!
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2022 07:25 AM by Seahawkhoops.)
08-08-2022 07:22 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.