Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Funding and its Consequences
Bookmark and Share
tribeinexile Online
1st String

I Root For: William & Mary
I thought this warranted a separate topic. BillyMac mentioned a million dollar shortfall in fundraising this year (see his 7/26 post in the the Marching Band topic) and the last NoBidNation podcast mentioned the possibility that the last scholarship for MBB was not used due to financial considerations

Does anyone have any insight to the how the College is dealing with not hitting its athletic fundraising goals this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
08-01-2022 01:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DSL Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tribe
RE: Funding and its Consequences
The goal to increase Tribe Club donations from 4 million to 5 million this year resulted
in no significant increase. The increase was needed to improve all sports and to
preserve the sports that were previously considered for elimination.
Transparency is needed.
We shareholders want to know the potential consequences and solutions.
08-02-2022 10:24 AM
Tribe4SF Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M
Football made its goal of $1million.

Progress to FY’22 Fund Raising Goal

· Final FY’22 Football Fundraising = $916,413

o +10.3% increase over FY’21 ($830,962)

· NOTE: adjusted for donations received July 1-July 25, Football Fundraising = $1,005,000
08-02-2022 12:41 PM
Tribal Offline

That’s awesome

08-02-2022 01:30 PM
jonaerose Offline
Water Engineer

(08-01-2022 01:11 PM)tribeinexile Wrote:  I thought this warranted a separate topic. BillyMac mentioned a million dollar shortfall in fundraising this year (see his 7/26 post in the the Marching Band topic) and the last NoBidNation podcast mentioned the possibility that the last scholarship for MBB was not used due to financial considerations

Does anyone have any insight to the how the College is dealing with not hitting its athletic fundraising goals this year?

I'm wondering if there was maybe a lag of counting donations in time? Recent video from Mann counts us as having surpassed our annual goal

https://youtu.be/cGLxmwQJ2yo
08-03-2022 11:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tribe4SF Offline
1st String

(08-03-2022 11:47 AM)jonaerose Wrote:  
(08-01-2022 01:11 PM)tribeinexile Wrote:  I thought this warranted a separate topic. BillyMac mentioned a million dollar shortfall in fundraising this year (see his 7/26 post in the the Marching Band topic) and the last NoBidNation podcast mentioned the possibility that the last scholarship for MBB was not used due to financial considerations

I'm wondering if there was maybe a lag of counting donations in time? Recent video from Mann counts us as having surpassed our annual goal

https://youtu.be/cGLxmwQJ2yo

Alot of money came in at the end of the year and it's not surprising that it took the month of July to finalize the numbers. The goals for the year were ambitious and when you look at where we were two years ago the outcome is outstanding. With Brian Mann only a year into it and many new faces joining the team I give the Athletic Department an A+!
08-03-2022 12:09 PM
Advertisement

nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
08-04-2022 07:14 PM
Tribal Offline

(08-04-2022 07:14 PM)nj alum Wrote:  https://tribeathletics.com/news/2022/8/4...-2022.aspx

Thanks for sharing. Two things stood out:

1. I love this - “More than 6,000 donors gave us a vote of confidence with their gifts…” Promising language and well stated.

2. Very lofty goal for M/W Track and a very expensive sport to support. I suspect at least some of that goes into a coffer for track/equipment maintenance.
08-06-2022 09:01 AM
Tribe2011 Offline
2nd String

(08-01-2022 01:11 PM)tribeinexile Wrote:  the last NoBidNation podcast mentioned the possibility that the last scholarship for MBB was not used due to financial considerations

Is this true? If it is, then we badly need to cut sports, or drop down a level. If we can't field a full roster we simply aren't trying to compete in D1.
08-06-2022 06:33 PM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

This is pretty much a guess on my part. I dont think basketball or football not using their full allotment of scholarships is funding related. I think it has more to do with title ix compliance. If i remember correctly, it was reported that we operated out of compliance for a long time until the law suits came after the tribe 7 were cut and issues were brought to light. Around the time the school was trying to get compliant is around the time the scholarship shortfalls popped up for football and now basketball seemingly. If this is the reason, i suppose only way to change that is to add women's scholarships or cut some scholarship sports. I don't think the school is excited to add a new scholarship sport, and I'm pretty sure the AD doesn't want to tackle cutting sports the way it was received the last time.

Again, this is just speculation and i could be way off.
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2022 08:05 PM by mrjoolius.)
08-06-2022 08:02 PM
Tribal Offline

Not every men’s team offers scholarships so cutting, say, men’s track, won’t solve our compliance issue. We need to add softball and treat FB and MBB with the deserved respect.

Men
Football
Basketball
Soccer
Baseball
XC
Tennis
Gymnastics

Women
Everything we have now + softball
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2022 10:22 PM by Tribal.)
08-06-2022 10:17 PM
Advertisement

LeadBolt Offline
All American

Agree on Title IX issues

. Two other thoughts, upgrading women’s crew from club to varsity status could help without a large equipment cost, along with Tribal’s softball suggestion.

Also admission policies need examination since I’m told that only 39% of students are male. I believe that has a large impact on Title IX compliance as well.

08-07-2022 05:57 AM
Tribe17 Offline
Water Engineer

(08-07-2022 05:57 AM)LeadBolt Wrote:  Agree on Title IX issues

. Two other thoughts, upgrading women’s crew from club to varsity status could help without a large equipment cost, along with Tribal’s softball suggestion.

Also admission policies need examination since I’m told that only 39% of students are male. I believe that has a large impact on Title IX compliance as well.

This mostly comes down to who is applying to W&M. For context the class of 2015 had an acceptance rate of 42% for males and 33% for females even though 58% of the class was female. Clearly there are a lot mor females applying if a larger number are being accepted than males, but a smaller percentage of females get accepted. They are doing their best to keep things balanced, but they also have to work within the confines of their applicant pool. The number of men going to college in general is dropping and that’s resulting in demographic shifts at schools. Here is an article about how a lot of other top college are facing the same challenges:

https://hechingerreport.org/an-unnoticed...to-get-in/

According to this list W&M actually had one of the biggest gender gaps in acceptance rate in 2015:

https://money.com/colleges-men-higher-acceptance-rate/
08-07-2022 08:12 AM
LeadBolt Offline
All American

(08-07-2022 08:12 AM)Tribe17 Wrote:  
(08-07-2022 05:57 AM)LeadBolt Wrote:  Agree on Title IX issues

This mostly comes down to who is applying to W&M. For context the class of 2015 had an acceptance rate of 42% for males and 33% for females even though 58% of the class was female. Clearly there are a lot mor females applying if a larger number are being accepted than males, but a smaller percentage of females get accepted. They are doing their best to keep things balanced, but they also have to work within the confines of their applicant pool. The number of men going to college in general is dropping and that’s resulting in demographic shifts at schools. Here is an article about how a lot of other top college are facing the same challenges:

https://hechingerreport.org/an-unnoticed...to-get-in/

According to this list W&M actually had one of the biggest gender gaps in acceptance rate in 2015:

https://money.com/colleges-men-higher-acceptance-rate/

It is good to see that progress is being made to make the student body more representative of the general population.

I believe that in the 1970's when I attended there was also a larger female pool than a male pool even then, but somehow the student body had more balanced enrollment based upon gender.

I certainly don't know the answer, but since Title IX is based, at least partially on the enrollment %'s, a less female centric student body would seem to be a portion of the equation.
08-07-2022 08:22 AM
Tribal Offline

I fully support equality of opportunity but I do not support equality of outcome. If that many more qualified females apply, I have no complaint with more qualified females accepted and enrolled. I don’t think W&M should be on the hook to balance the sexes.

Title IX isn’t a guideline, compliance is mandatory. Good idea with crew, and, yeah, add softball. Whatever we need to do to comply with Title IV and give football and basketball full use of scholarships.

And, no need to cut non-scholarship sports/clubs if they foot their own bill.
08-07-2022 08:30 AM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tribe
I haven't weighed in on this topic for a while. The large number of sports that we sponsor goes farther than whether or not a team can self-support. There are a lot of overhead costs in terms of AD staff, training faciiities, and so forth. I don't think we'll ever be able to sustain everything we have now. It's just a matter of time. I hope that Mann is being proactive and finding a longer term solution.

My personal vision is that we make the hard decisions sooner rather than later and try to be excellent at the sports that we want to sponsor and don't look back. Things change. Shoot, we used to be excellent in fencing.
08-07-2022 09:54 AM
Advertisement

wmmii Offline
1st String

(08-07-2022 08:30 AM)Tribal Wrote:  I fully support equality of opportunity but I do not support equality of outcome. If that many more qualified females apply, I have no complaint with more qualified females accepted and enrolled. I don’t think W&M should be on the hook to balance the sexes.

Title IX isn’t a guideline, compliance is mandatory. Good idea with crew, and, yeah, add softball. Whatever we need to do to comply with Title IV and give football and basketball full use of scholarships.

And, no need to cut non-scholarship sports/clubs if they foot their own bill.

Title IX clearly was the reason for Football to not only lose scholarships plus walk-on players and Coach London has been vocal that the situation is not sustainable to be competitive in the CAA. The MBB scholarship in my opinion was more about balancing out the classes and saving the scholarship for opportunities since Dane added two freshmen preferred walk-on players to the roster which I think is a first in recent history.

The biggest Title IX issue is the imbalance of women to men students. It helps clearly to add more women athletes (who do not necessarily need to be with scholarships) and the best way to achieve that is softball plus women rowing which create a lot of female players. While this brings us closer to compliance, it cannot fix this issue alone as the ratio of men to women is too far apart. The good news is that the admission ratio for Class of 2025 started to correct the trend as it was 42% male compared to the 39% referenced in some prior years. We should be able to see the trend soon for the Class of 2026. Here is the link for the Class of 2025:

https://www.wm.edu/admission/undergradua.../index.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2022 12:59 PM by wmmii.)
08-07-2022 12:41 PM
wmmii Offline
1st String

(08-07-2022 09:54 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  I haven't weighed in on this topic for a while. The large number of sports that we sponsor goes farther than whether or not a team can self-support. There are a lot of overhead costs in terms of AD staff, training faciiities, and so forth. I don't think we'll ever be able to sustain everything we have now. It's just a matter of time. I hope that Mann is being proactive and finding a longer term solution.

My personal vision is that we make the hard decisions sooner rather than later and try to be excellent at the sports that we want to sponsor and don't look back. Things change. Shoot, we used to be excellent in fencing.

The cruel reality is that the AD cannot terminate any women sport without risking a Title IX lawsuit since it does not appear feasible to get the men head count low enough to reach compliance and we are using the justification that we are providing all women the opportunity to compete if needed to reach Title IX compliance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
08-07-2022 12:50 PM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-07-2022 12:41 PM)wmmii Wrote:  The MBB scholarship in my opinion was more about balancing out the classes and not having any good recruit to use it since the coach picked up two freshmen preferred walk-on players which I think is a first in recent history.
Unless you've heard something different, i don't think that is accurate. Any time ive inquired about the 13th scholarship, I've gotten the "it isn't available" response. While i like both walk-ons, there is zero chance the coaches would turn down bringing in another D1 caliber recruit or transfer. I don't buy that there weren't more guys the coaches were interested in. There were solid, productive d1 transfers looking for new homes that would definitely have helped that we stopped recruiting once number 12 was met .
08-07-2022 01:00 PM
Tribal Offline

It’s embarrassing that our two main sports are not fully supported.

We 1,000% did not grant the 13th scholarship because of Title IX. So, we need to cover more female scholarships so we can offer the full allotment for FB and MBB. Or, we need a dozen football players to identify as female.
08-07-2022 02:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.