Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big XII Media Days
Bookmark and Share
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
Big XII Media Days
Scheduled for this Wednesday and Thursday at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas. Commish Brett Yormark will make his first public appearance. Looking forward to hearing Yormark's comments on all things Big XII and conference realignment. It is my understanding that former Commish Bob Bowlsby will also make an appearance. The sessions can be streamed on ESPN+ beginning at 9:30 AM on Wednesday and 11:00 AM on Thursday.
07-11-2022 08:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HornFrogFan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: TCU
RE: Big XII Media Days
Never been that excited about media days (for any conference) as it's usually just a bunch of coach speak about their optimism for the upcoming season, great incoming class, etc., etc...

But I'm more interested than usual this year as I want to hear from Yormark. I know absolutely nothing about this guy, other than what was said when he was first hired, so I'm hoping he makes a good impression. He's got his work cut out for him.
07-11-2022 08:54 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

(07-11-2022 08:54 PM)HornFrogFan Wrote:  Never been that excited about media days (for any conference) as it's usually just a bunch of coach speak about their optimism for the upcoming season, great incoming class, etc., etc...

But I'm more interested than usual this year as I want to hear from Yormark. I know absolutely nothing about this guy, other than what was said when he was first hired, so I'm hoping he makes a good impression. He's got his work cut out for him.

I agree that he is what I am most interested in. From everything I've read, he's knocked it out of the park with his first impressions. Obviously, the proof will be in the pudding as he moves the conference forward.
07-11-2022 09:10 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
I don't expect to hear much on what is going on. If B12 is negotiating with teams we will hear nothing, If some back channel meetings are happening, we won't hear anything. If all conversations have ended, we won't hear very much about that either.
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2022 07:39 AM by goodknightfl.)
07-12-2022 07:39 AM
ArmoredUpKnight Online
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
Technically, I think Bowlsby is still the Interim Commissioner. Yormark’s official 1st day is August 1st. Although, we know Yormark has been working on realignment. We are just in an odd grey area at the moment.

https://big12sports.com/news/2022/6/29/c...ioner.aspx

Quote:Yormark’s official start date with the Big 12 is anticipated to be August 1. His initial contract term is five years. As announced in April, Bowlsby will transition to a new interim role with the Conference, subject to the mutual agreement of the new Commissioner and Bowlsby.
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2022 08:31 AM by ArmoredUpKnight.)
07-12-2022 08:31 AM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

07-12-2022 04:30 PM
Advertisement

UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

Introduction and opening remarks of Brett Yormark and press Q&A...

07-13-2022 10:26 AM
BraveKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
I think Yormark definitely gave a good impression from the press conference. Has my approval.
07-13-2022 11:46 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Does a good job in Press Conferences.
07-13-2022 01:39 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

From ESPN's Heather Dinich...

07-13-2022 01:49 PM
ArmoredUpKnight Online
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
07-13-2022 02:51 PM
Advertisement

KnightLight Offline
Legend

(07-13-2022 10:26 AM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  Introduction and opening remarks of Brett Yormark and press Q&A...

He is really a dynamic and engaging speaker...from either reading his prepared opening remarks and/or in the Q&A.

He is filled with new ideas and business relationships to help the conf EXPAND their brand nationally.

Loved it!

His press conf and Q&A is a must watch for any Big 12 fan.
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2022 04:35 PM by KnightLight.)
07-13-2022 03:47 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

(07-13-2022 03:47 PM)KnightLight Wrote:  He is really a dynamic and engaging speaker...from either reading his prepared opening remarks and/or in the Q&A.

He is filled with new ideas and business relationships to help the conf EXPAND their brand nationally.

Loved it!

His press conf and Q&A is a must watch for any Big 12 fan.

Agree. With all due respect to Bob Bowlsby, I'm glad Yormark is taking the helm. We need someone energetic and more in tune with the modern sports and marketing landscape. The timing of his hire couldn't be any better IMO.
07-13-2022 05:52 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

From CBS Sports...

Quote:The 2022 Big 12 season got underway on Wednesday as Media Days began its first of two days at AT&T Stadium in Arlington. Leading off the festivities was incoming conference commissioner Brett Yormark, whose background in branding and marketing at Jay-Z's Roc Nation helped paint a picture for his vision of the Big 12 in the future amid realignment and upcoming media rights deals.

In terms of the teams featured, Baylor coach Dave Aranda and Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy ranked among the top draws on the first day. Five different teams earned first-place votes in the preseason Big 12 media poll, with the Cowboys and Bears representing that group as the event opened.

With the first day of Big 12 Media Days in the book, let's look at the biggest storylines from Arlington.

The Big 12 pushes unified front

Talking to those around the Big 12, many believe that the league is more united than it was last year. After Texas and Oklahoma announced they were leaving for the SEC, the Big 12 was active to quickly add four quality brands in BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and UCF.

BYU and UCF had representatives in Arlington, while other league officials spoke highly of the quality of league and competition heading forward. While the issue of expansion will be a continuous one over the next few months, the 12 teams that will remain part of the Big 12 heading forward remain committed to the future of the league.

Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy was particularly candid in saying that he believes the Big 12 will expand to 16 teams at some point. Others were less confident. Regardless, everyone believes the conference is negotiating from a position of strength -- especially after USC and UCLA announced their intentions to leave the Pac-12 for the Big Ten.

"This is a power struggle for long-term television money," Gundy said. "The Big 12 is better off today than it was at this time last year."

Appealing to a new audience

Yormark made his first public appearance during his transitionary period into the job of Big 12 commissioner, replacing the outgoing Bob Bowlsby, and quickly set out his vision for the conference. More than anything, Yormark centered on expanding the branding and marketing opportunities for the conference to best position the league for its upcoming television negotiations.

"I think there's opportunities to become a little bit more national, to position our brand a little younger, hipper, cooler," Yormark said. "How do we connect to a youth culture, diversify some of the things we're doing. I think we have a great opportunity."

It's unclear what kind of value the Big 12 can hope to gain in a world without Texas and Oklahoma, but people on the ground are optimistic about the upside. Three teams in the new Big 12 -- Cincinnati, Baylor and Oklahoma State -- finished in the top 10 last season. Three of the new additions are in the Cincinnati, Houston and Orlando media markets.

Yormark also addressed the potential for multi-platform revenue streams, noting that the 18-24 demographic is not as married to traditional media. However, it remains unclear what kind of plans Yormark could have to enter that market.

Baylor is now the hunted

For the first time in program history, Baylor was picked No. 1 in the preseason Big 12 poll. Bears coach Dave Aranda was his usual philosophical self when asked about what that meant for the the program, pointing instead to the nature of imperfection and reality.

"I think it goes back to just the task within a task," Aranda said. "Today, for example, they'll be running and lifting. So are we bringing a life energy to that, or are we running, we're lifting, we're in it, but we're not bringing any energy, we're actually taking away energy? ... I think to be real honest about your motivation and to be real clear about your intention, it's not about necessarily perfection. You have to move with imperfection, continue to move and continue to get better. I think that's the goal for us."

His players were similarly thoughtful, with linebacker Dillon Doyle noting that Aranda has taught him that football is not a zero-sum game, but instead an opportunity for everyone to gain by growing through football. Only Aranda could have found a program with this kind of culture to guide; we'll see how it turns out when live bullets are flying in the fall again.

Gundy remains bullish on Pokes' future

Gundy was asked about his comments from January, when he said that he believed that Oklahoma State could someday become a blue blood-type program after beating Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl. Wednesday, Gundy reaffirmed optimism at the future of the Big 12 and how it may impact Oklahoma State long term.

"I'm convinced the Big 12 will be here for a long time," Gundy said. "Who will be in it? I'm not sure. But the brand and what we have at this point moving forward, Oklahoma State will be a very, very marketable program in the future."

The Cowboys were six inches away from potentially reaching the College Football Playoff in 2021 -- in the same AT&T Stadium where media days are being held. Picked third in the preseason poll, the Cowboys hope to take that elusive next step in 2022.

B12 Media Days
07-13-2022 07:54 PM
HornFrogFan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: TCU
Caught the highlights of Yormark's opening remarks. He impressed me and I am hopeful we are moving in the right direction with him.

I will say that he strikes me as the type of hire that will either be a home run, or he's going to go down swinging quickly. Don't think there's a middle ground with him.
07-13-2022 08:00 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

This guy is a Kansas State fan and covers the B12. This is from his current live feed so you may have to move the time bar back to the beginning. Curious what his TV revenue numbers show between the B12 and P12. **EDIT** The TV numbers begin around the 35:00 mark.

(This post was last modified: 07-13-2022 08:55 PM by UCGrad1992.)
07-13-2022 08:27 PM
Advertisement

Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Really good stuff here too

Jackson
07-13-2022 08:35 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

(07-13-2022 08:35 PM)Jackson1011 Wrote:  

Really good stuff here too

Jackson

New Commish has a much more GLOBAL approach to branding...and that is eye-opening to all the Big 12 Presidents and one of the main reasons why he was hired.

For the past 20 years, he has developed business relationships with dozens of Fortune 500 companies, along with FOX and ESPN (who he mentions he speaks to several times per week).

I'm glad he is swinging for the fences...because even if it might fall short, you can still end up with triples and solid doubles.
07-14-2022 08:23 AM
BraveKnight Offline
All American

07-14-2022 10:42 AM
natibeast2.0 Offline
Banned

I Root For: -
Agree with all. Good first impression. I like him and he seems personable. Now for the dirty work!
07-14-2022 10:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.