07-05-2022 07:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
RE: Looking ahead: Ranking Week SBC One Match Ups
So:

There are two scheduled beatings against P5 schools.
Three targetable P5 games that could be wins.
Three home games against G5's that are important
And a litany of FCS games.
07-05-2022 08:03 AM
ODU-Z8 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion, Sun Belt
I will try to watch every game I can.

I added the official betting lines listed on ESPN.
The Italics are games where I think the SBC will take care of business, so I put them lower on the list.
Now the bolded games ... we have an opportunity to make some noise.

I ordered them how I rank em. ODU has to be first, of course, but our matchup is also pretty exciting, right?

Virginia Tech @ ODU VT -8.0
-Cannot wait. Will be nationally televised on ESPNU. Winning this would be HUGE for us. It's at home, should be a packed stadium, and our team returns a lot of experience from last year. Extra drama: Rahne (ODU Headcoach) was the offensive coordinator at Penn State while the Hokies new Coach was their defensive coordinator. I wonder if their familiarity with one another will play a factor.

UNC @ Appalachian State UNC -3.0
-App did it last time. Mounting a 2-0 win streak against their dominate state P5? Wheww, big news. Will also be nationally televised on ESPNU, it's at home- love this opportunity for them.

Liberty @ Southern Miss Liberty -3.0
-A future CUSA team, a strong opponent, and a huge opportunity for USM to show off their progress and make a statement for both themselves and the Sun Belt.

Middle Tennessee @ James Madison JMU -7.0
-Another statement game, for JMU and the Sun Belt both. If the FCS call-up can lay the smack down, it sets a tone.

Nevada @ Texas State Nev -7.5
-MWC matchup and highly winnable. If Texas State can pull the upset, the SBC West immediately looks much stronger than non-SBC fans are giving them credit for.

Army @ Coastal Carolina CCU -3.5
-Great opponent, and a win would be awesome. However, Army is independent and that's not as dramatic (to me) as some of these other matchups. Still, hard to overstate how cool a win this would be.

Georgia State @ South Carolina SC -13.5
-The SBC Beast versus the SEC, but it's an away game for the Panthers and a difficult first game. If the Panther's pull this off, look out.

Troy @ Ole Miss Ole Miss -24.0
-This is a big matchup. A lot of the southern schools, USM particularly, would love nothing more than Troy to lay a beatdown ... but this is a good P5 team in their house. If Troy takes the lead in this game, this game skyrockets up this list

ULM @ Texas Texas -39.0
-Would be an amazing win, but this is by far the most difficult matchup of the SBC's first week, and the betting line agrees. Still, ULM could SHOCK THE NATION with this one, and that alone is cool.

I think the SBC wins these games handily. We get a glimpse of these SBC teams, and they have an opportunity to work out kinks, but nationally these are only notable if you lose.
Norfolk State @ Marshall
Nicholls @ South Alabama
Morgan State @ Georgia Southern
Grambling State @ Arkansas State
Southeastern Louisiana @ Louisiana
07-05-2022 08:20 AM
FrankyP Offline
All American

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns
(07-05-2022 08:20 AM)ODU-Z8 Wrote:  I will try to watch every game I can.

The Italics are games where I think the SBC will take care of business, so I put them lower on the list.

I ordered them how I rank em. ODU has to be first, of course, but our matchup is also pretty exciting, right?

Virginia Tech @ ODU VT -8.0
-Cannot wait. Will be nationally televised on ESPNU. Winning this would be HUGE for us. It's at home, should be a packed stadium, and our team returns a lot of experience from last year. Extra drama: Rahne (ODU Headcoach) was the offensive coordinator at Penn State while the Hokies new Coach was their defensive coordinator. I wonder if their familiarity with one another will play a factor.

UNC @ Appalachian State UNC -3.0
-App did it last time. Mounting a 2-0 win streak against their dominate state P5? Wheww, big news. Will also be nationally televised on ESPNU, it's at home- love this opportunity for them.

Liberty @ Southern Miss Liberty -3.0
-A future CUSA team, a strong opponent, and a huge opportunity for USM to show off their progress and make a statement for both themselves and the Sun Belt.

Middle Tennessee @ James Madison JMU -7.0
-Another statement game, for JMU and the Sun Belt both. If the FCS call-up can lay the smack down, it sets a tone.

Nevada @ Texas State Nev -7.5
-MWC matchup and highly winnable. If Texas State can pull the upset, the SBC West immediately looks much stronger than non-SBC fans are giving them credit for.

Army @ Coastal Carolina CCU -3.5
-Great opponent, and a win would be awesome. However, Army is independent and that's not as dramatic (to me) as some of these other matchups. Still, hard to overstate how cool a win this would be.

Georgia State @ South Carolina SC -13.5
-The SBC Beast versus the SEC, but it's an away game for the Panthers and a difficult first game. If the Panther's pull this off, look out.

Troy @ Ole Miss Ole Miss -24.0
-This is a big matchup. A lot of the southern schools, USM particularly, would love nothing more than Troy to lay a beatdown ... but this is a good P5 team in their house. If Troy takes the lead in this game, this game skyrockets up this list

ULM @ Texas Texas -39.0
-Would be an amazing win, but this is by far the most difficult matchup of the SBC's first week, and the betting line agrees. Still, ULM could SHOCK THE NATION with this one, and that alone is cool.

I think the SBC wins these games handily. We get a glimpse of these SBC teams, and they have an opportunity to work out kinks, but nationally these are only notable if you lose.
Norfolk State @ Marshall
Nicholls @ South Alabama
Although I fully expect to win, I also do not think anyone should expect a blow-out, either. SELA is a good school, and program. They have ~14k students, and are therefore closer to us in enrollment than any of the other state schools. Plus with their location, they get a lot of wannabe tiggers that didn’t make that cut, but are still very good athletes.

Not to mention that we have a new coach, a lot of new staff/roster, lol.

(Ok, that last line is what is called sarcasm, for those who were not sure.)
(This post was last modified: 07-05-2022 08:56 AM by FrankyP.)
07-05-2022 08:45 AM
MUther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
CrappiesCrappies
We should get rubber stamps with the ODU logo. Then send the boys back to Norfolk St with an asswhippin' and ODU tattoos all over. That would be humorous.
07-05-2022 08:54 AM
APPdiesel Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
Looking ahead: Ranking Week SBC One Match Ups
Prediction time.

5-0 in the FCS games
1-4 in the P5 games with App beating UNC and Georgia State losing but giving South Carolina all they can handle. Troy will give Ole Miss a scare but the Rebels are too talented and will pull away in the second half, and
2-1 vs G5s with JMU and Coastal winning.

Texas State beating Nevada would be a really good win for the conference. Nevada went 8-5 last year. They’re a good program.
(This post was last modified: 07-05-2022 09:03 AM by APPdiesel.)
07-05-2022 08:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
We are playing at Nevada. So that might make it slightly tougher. Good news is the lost a ton from last year and their projected starting qb got arrested for a dui or something.
07-05-2022 09:09 AM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
Looking at the conference schedules the first few weeks, this is probably a pivotal week for how the non-conference season goes for us, which is unusual for an opening week

The plan: Win every FCS game, take 1 P5 win, get at least 2 of the 3 non-P5 FBS games.
07-05-2022 09:10 AM
KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

I Root For: JMU
(07-05-2022 08:45 AM)FrankyP Wrote:  

Although I fully expect to win, I also do not think anyone should expect a blow-out, either. SELA is a good school, and program. They have ~14k students, and are therefore closer to us in enrollment than any of the other state schools. Plus with their location, they get a lot of wannabe tiggers that didn’t make that cut, but are still very good athletes.

Last year's playoffs we started the fourth quarter with a score of SLU 13, JMU 59. They managed one fourth quarter TD against the second and third stringers for a 59-20 final. You guys will blow them out... Of course I understand wanting to respect your opponent though. Also I think Cig wanted to make a statement to the selection committee after they gave the softies the 1 seed and NDSU the 2, starters played the whole third quarter iirc.
(This post was last modified: 07-05-2022 09:19 AM by KickItToScotty.)
07-05-2022 09:12 AM
Herdfan1 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: The Herd
(07-05-2022 08:57 AM)APPdiesel Wrote:  Prediction time.

5-0 in the FCS games
1-4 in the P5 games with App beating UNC and Georgia State losing but giving South Carolina all they can handle. Troy will give Ole Miss a scare but the Rebels are too talented and will pull away in the second half, and

Texas State beating Nevada would be a really good win for the conference. Nevada went 8-5 last year. They’re a good program.

yeah but they lost some really good players to the draft..it's plausible to pull that one off
07-05-2022 09:23 AM
FairwayEagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
USM/Liberty game is huge for a number of reasons. The whole CUSA/SBC angle, Will Hall needing to put a progress marker in the ground after an unsteady beginning, giving our fans some hope and excitement that we've emerged from the dark ages of the mostly lost last decade.
07-05-2022 09:41 AM
Advertisement

OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
Every CUSA game is a must win or we will be covered up with coosa trash crowing. Zero patience with that. Especially the Jacksonville, Ark...Missouri...Florida..or wherever they are nobodies.
07-05-2022 09:59 AM
FrankyP Offline
All American

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns
(07-05-2022 09:12 AM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  
(07-05-2022 08:45 AM)FrankyP Wrote:  

Last year's playoffs we started the fourth quarter with a score of SLU 13, JMU 59. They managed one fourth quarter TD against the second and third stringers for a 59-20 final. You guys will blow them out... Of course I understand wanting to respect your opponent though. Also I think Cig wanted to make a statement to the selection committee after they gave the softies the 1 seed and NDSU the 2, starters played the whole third quarter iirc.
Well, this is only the 4th time we’ve played them in fb: we beat them in 1972, lost to them in 1982, and then last year beat them by only 3 pts. So, taking out the ancient games, we have reason to be wary, lol. You have to understand that 1) this a local game, and I’m sure they have us high up on their list to make a stmnt, and 2) esp since they came so close last year their expectations are even higher.

What could be so frustrating with Napier was that although we always won, and we never really feared losing too much during the game, it was often too slow to get that W. But get those W’s we certainly did.
(This post was last modified: 07-05-2022 10:12 AM by FrankyP.)
07-05-2022 10:10 AM
Troy_Fan_15 Offline
Sun Belt Apologist

I Root For: Troy Trojans
I want to be optimistic but I'm not sure if we will have what it takes to even give Ole Miss a scare. They're good.
07-05-2022 10:19 AM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(07-05-2022 07:21 AM)RamblinRedWolf Wrote:  9/2:
Virginia Tech @ ODU

9/3:
UNC @ Appalachian State

Norfolk State @ Marshall

Troy @ Ole Miss

Nicholls @ South Alabama

Middle Tennessee @ James Madison

Army @ Coastal Carolina

Georgia State @ South Carolina

ULM @ Texas

Nevada @ Texas State

Should read: Texas State @ Nevada
07-05-2022 10:21 AM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(07-05-2022 08:03 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  So:

So, I forgot Liberty was in FBS when I said this...Whoops.

Make that 4 G5 games, 3 at home.
07-05-2022 12:57 PM
Advertisement

CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
(07-05-2022 10:19 AM)Troy_Fan_15 Wrote:  I want to be optimistic but I'm not sure if we will have what it takes to even give Ole Miss a scare. They're good.

I think Troy's defense will be a big factor in this game. Troy could wind up having the best D in the SBC... and that's saying something since the SBC has had some top national D's over the past few years.

If Troy's QB situation is good, and the offense comes along pretty well before September arrives... then Troy will be in the game.

If the D is having to do all the work because O can't get going, it could get rough.
07-05-2022 08:25 PM
El Chanto Offline
1st String

I Root For: CoastalCarolina
It begins with the Monarchs setting the pace in an intriguing Week One kick off! If ODU opens up the season by choking the Hokies then all eyes will be on the dazzling all-stars of the Fun Belt league. I could definitely see another ACC loss with App. State looking down at beaten Tar Holes while saying, "Now, whose state?"...
(This post was last modified: 07-05-2022 09:10 PM by El Chanto.)
07-05-2022 09:08 PM
FairwayEagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
(07-05-2022 12:57 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(07-05-2022 08:03 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  So:

So, I forgot Liberty was in FBS when I said this...Whoops.

Make that 4 G5 games, 3 at home.

We pretty much owe SBC this one for taking us in. I hope it’s circled in our calendar. Huge opportunity.
07-05-2022 09:17 PM
APPdiesel Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
Looking ahead: Ranking Week SBC One Match Ups
(07-05-2022 09:23 AM)Herdfan1 Wrote:  
(07-05-2022 08:57 AM)APPdiesel Wrote:  Prediction time.

5-0 in the FCS games

yeah but they lost some really good players to the draft..it's plausible to pull that one off

Didn’t know that. Go get em Bobcats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
07-05-2022 09:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.