Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Welcome but really a note to JMU and a bit to Southern Miss
Bookmark and Share
McLeansvilleAppFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian St
Welcome but really a note to JMU and a bit to Southern Miss
I know the current players will be too young to remember this but I hope this plays before and during the game and anytime JMU gets near the endzone.

And I have no intention of discussing the 2008 game today. :-)

JMU at App State 2007 Playoff

Welcome to Marshall, ODU, Southern Miss, and yes, even JMU. I have been excited about all of this since it was announced.

(And SMU, we still owe you for messing up our 1937 season when App State was unbeaten and unscored on until the bowl game.)
07-01-2022 09:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

LotteryWinner1969 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: App State
RE: Welcome but really a note to JMU and a bit to Southern Miss
(07-01-2022 09:39 AM)McLeansvilleAppFan Wrote:  I know the current players will be too young to remember this but I hope this plays before and during the game and anytime JMU gets near the endzone.

Welcome to Marshall, ODU, Southern Miss, and yes, even JMU. I have been excited about all of this since it was announced.

(And SMU, we still owe you for messing up our 1937 season when App State was unbeaten and unscored on until the bowl game.)

And we don't hold grudges for more than 200 years....
07-01-2022 09:54 AM
KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

I Root For: JMU
Thrilled to be here, and a big thank you to Appy State for their contribution to my user ID on here.

Might as well throw in Bridgeforth East edition while I'm at it.
07-01-2022 12:19 PM
FairwayEagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
I had no idea we’d played that long ago. No biggie, but it’s USM, not SMU.
07-01-2022 02:22 PM
1st String

(07-01-2022 02:22 PM)FairwayEagle Wrote:  I had no idea we’d played that long ago. No biggie, but it’s USM, not SMU.

Kidd Brewer of Kidd Brewer Stadium fame was the coach for that glorious 1937 season.

Later in life he was arrested for big-rigging with government contracts for highway construction. I am not one to think lightly of white collar crime but his quote was classic.

"But when, in 1963, he was sentenced to 18 months in state prison for bid-rigging, Brewer responded with a gala "going-in party" at his fabulous house high above Crabtree Creek, to which everyone who was anyone in the Cap City was invited. And when he got out four months later (what's a little bid-rigging among friends?) and was asked about his future plans, he replied, "I'm going to peddle influence."
Source: https://indyweek.com/news/archives/mount...l-raleigh/
07-01-2022 02:47 PM
FairwayEagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
(07-01-2022 02:47 PM)McLeansvilleAppFan Wrote:  
(07-01-2022 02:22 PM)FairwayEagle Wrote:  I had no idea we’d played that long ago. No biggie, but it’s USM, not SMU.

Kidd Brewer of Kidd Brewer Stadium fame was the coach for that glorious 1937 season.

Later in life he was arrested for big-rigging with government contracts for highway construction. I am not one to think lightly of white collar crime but his quote was classic.

"But when, in 1963, he was sentenced to 18 months in state prison for bid-rigging, Brewer responded with a gala "going-in party" at his fabulous house high above Crabtree Creek, to which everyone who was anyone in the Cap City was invited. And when he got out four months later (what's a little bid-rigging among friends?) and was asked about his future plans, he replied, "I'm going to peddle influence."

That's a fun story. I can't wait to go to Boone for a game. This staff won't duck out due to a distant hurricane like the last one did.
07-01-2022 02:50 PM
Advertisement

JTApps1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
(07-01-2022 12:19 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  Thrilled to be here, and a big thank you to Appy State for their contribution to my user ID on here.

I still can't believe we kept kicking to Scotty McGee in 2008. The Dukes had no life until that second half KO return. It was almost as dumb as JMU handing off with 31 sec left in 2007.
07-01-2022 05:05 PM
1st String

(07-01-2022 09:54 AM)LotteryWinner1969 Wrote:  
(07-01-2022 09:39 AM)McLeansvilleAppFan Wrote:  I know the current players will be too young to remember this but I hope this plays before and during the game and anytime JMU gets near the endzone.

I only hold a grudge for 150 years so I can mention on the sesquicentennial of the grudge starting the word "sesquicentennial."
07-01-2022 06:57 PM
1st String

(07-01-2022 12:19 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  Thrilled to be here, and a big thank you to Appy State for their contribution to my user ID on here.

Did you not read where I stated no discussion of 2008? :-)
07-01-2022 06:59 PM
1st String

(07-01-2022 02:50 PM)FairwayEagle Wrote:  
(07-01-2022 02:47 PM)McLeansvilleAppFan Wrote:  

That's a fun story. I can't wait to go to Boone for a game. This staff won't duck out due to a distant hurricane like the last one did.

I wonder when the last member of the 1937 team passed away. They might be 102 or so now if still alive at the youngest. Kidd Brewer passed away in the 1991.
07-01-2022 07:03 PM
1st String

(07-01-2022 05:05 PM)JTApps1 Wrote:  

I still can't believe we kept kicking to Scotty McGee in 2008. The Dukes had no life until that second half KO return. It was almost as dumb as JMU handing off with 31 sec left in 2007.

(I said no discussion of 2008. :-)

With that said, I will say this. Wife and I were there in the end zone. There was a JMU tuba player near us screaming "This is our year." It was a bit irritating to be honest as it started before the game as they were cramming into the stands and then he went crazy in the 2nd half.

Not sure if he retired but the department chair for the JMU Physics (& Astronomy) Department was an App grade so I can't get too upset with them. They have enough sense to hire the best.)
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2022 09:10 PM by McLeansvilleAppFan.)
07-01-2022 07:08 PM
Advertisement

KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

Hey, you said you have no intention of discussing 2008!
07-01-2022 07:12 PM
hburg Offline

I Root For: James Madison
Wasn't the Former Finance director of JMU Charlie King an App State grad?
07-01-2022 07:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
1st String

(07-01-2022 07:12 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  Hey, you said you have no intention of discussing 2008!

I placed parenthesis around it all so it is not so much a discussion as it is a stream of consciousness thought so may rule still applies. :-)
07-01-2022 09:14 PM
1st String

(07-01-2022 07:20 PM)hburg Wrote:  Wasn't the Former Finance director of JMU Charlie King an App State grad?

That may be the case and it sorta rings a bell. I mainly keep up with the physics. I do like the fact JMU has a planetarium on campus. That is something every college should have if only one that seats 30 people for an intro astronomy class.
07-01-2022 09:16 PM
KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

Charlie King is indeed an App State grad who's leaving huge shoes to fill at JMU in his retirement. Mettlen/Fleischman should've listed him under the notable alumni for App State in today's article introducing all our new conference mates. Certainly much more impressive than Eric Church.
07-01-2022 10:13 PM
Advertisement

Eagleyed Offline
1st String

I Root For: USM
(07-01-2022 09:54 AM)LotteryWinner1969 Wrote:  

I'm still salty about USM losing to the Hattiesburg boy scouts in the 1910s.
07-01-2022 10:44 PM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App. State/ECU

Did you all forget about 2006? 21-10. Real barn burner. Last game Trey Elder started for App before Armanti Edwards who started the next week against Mars Hill. It was actually Edwards' performance against JMU when Elder went down that solidified the decision for the staff to give him the reigns.

Obviously history is history and two national championships, 4 SoCon Championships, and 2 Walter Payton awards later, here we are.

Thanks JMU.
07-01-2022 11:03 PM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App. State/ECU
(07-01-2022 09:16 PM)McLeansvilleAppFan Wrote:  
(07-01-2022 07:20 PM)hburg Wrote:  Wasn't the Former Finance director of JMU Charlie King an App State grad?

That may be the case and it sorta rings a bell. I mainly keep up with the physics. I do like the fact JMU has a planetarium on campus. That is something every college should have if only one that seats 30 people for an intro astronomy class.

They are too busy thinking we will be on Earth forever while not understanding human history is older than 400 years to think Astronomy is important....

Anyway...
07-01-2022 11:05 PM
1st String

(07-01-2022 11:05 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  
(07-01-2022 09:16 PM)McLeansvilleAppFan Wrote:  

They are too busy thinking we will be on Earth forever while not understanding human history is older than 400 years to think Astronomy is important....

Anyway...
Who is the "they" that you are referring to? And do you mean 400 or 4000 years with a dropped "0" at the end?
07-02-2022 08:19 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.