Bill Clark needs rest, but hopefully this isn’t the end
blazerjay Offline

I Root For: UAB
Donators
https://www.al.com/uab/2022/06/bill-clar...e-end.html

Quote:Now what?

It’s late June. Is this the right time to hire a new coach? Depends on who it is. UAB will not be hurting for qualified candidates. It’s a great job.

For his part, Clark said he wants Bryant Vincent and the existing coaches to take over the program for the year. Those are Clark’s wishes, and he’ll be upset if they aren’t followed. Clark will be around, he says. He’s not going anywhere.

I’m sorry, but who the heck is Bryant Vincent?

[GOOGLES BRYANT VINCENT]

[PICTURE OF ROBERT EHSAN APPEARS]

[THROWS LAPTOP AGAINST THE WALL]
06-24-2022 03:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

The Answer UAB Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB!!!
RE: Bill Clark needs rest, but hopefully this isn’t the end
(06-24-2022 03:52 PM)blazerjay Wrote:  Bill Clark needs rest, but hopefully this isn’t the end

It’s late June. Is this the right time to hire a new coach? Depends on who it is. UAB will not be hurting for qualified candidates. It’s a great job.

For his part, Clark said he wants Bryant Vincent and the existing coaches to take over the program for the year. Those are Clark’s wishes, and he’ll be upset if they aren’t followed. Clark will be around, he says. He’s not going anywhere.

[GOOGLES BRYANT VINCENT]

Good article for the most part.

I hope like hell that UAB has learned its lesson after the absolute disastrous decision to hire Ehsan.
06-24-2022 04:09 PM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

(06-24-2022 04:09 PM)The Answer UAB Wrote:  
(06-24-2022 03:52 PM)blazerjay Wrote:  Bill Clark needs rest, but hopefully this isn’t the end

[GOOGLES BRYANT VINCENT]

Good article for the most part.

I hope like hell that UAB has learned its lesson after the absolute disastrous decision to hire Ehsan.

Ingram experienced that first hand and got burned. Hopefully we don't go that route again.
06-24-2022 04:16 PM
blazerblazer Offline
1st String

[GOOGLES BRYANT VINCENT]

I did chuckle when I read that. I'm not sure the best route. If Clark is good to go and wants to come back next year I could see Vincent and Reeves keeping the seat warm for him. If this was a situation where he retired and didn't coach again, then I could see us hiring a new coach and staff to get ready for the AAC.
Give Vincent the interim for 1 year and see what happens after Clark's recovery and then go from there.
06-24-2022 04:36 PM
demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
I don't even want Vincent as our Offensive Coordinator...let alone head coach.

I appreciate Coach Clark for everything he's done and I still want him to be our coach, but just like he has to take care of his own priorities first...we must do the same in the aftermath. Our priorities should not be to keep Clark happy by promoting his assistants to be his hand-picked replacements.

If this was a one-year deal and he announced a hiatus rather than full retirement, then it makes sense and we could make a call after the fact. But a line has been drawn in the sand and we need to put ourselves in the best possible position moving to a new conference - and I don't think that's Vincent.
06-24-2022 05:08 PM
blazerblazer Offline
1st String

If Bill Clark isn't able to coach after December, I would love to see him in some Senior Associate or Assistant Athletic Director type position and help him finalize his vision of the nutrition center, grass practice field, etc.

Let's say that Ingram goes on a head coaching search this year or next year after the interim year.
What are some names you would like to see on the short list to carry us into the AAC?
06-24-2022 05:18 PM
Advertisement

blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
(06-24-2022 05:08 PM)demiveeman Wrote:  I don't even want Vincent as our Offensive Coordinator...let alone head coach.

I appreciate Coach Clark for everything he's done and I still want him to be our coach, but just like he has to take care of his own priorities first...we must do the same in the aftermath. Our priorities should not be to keep Clark happy by promoting his assistants to be his hand-picked replacements.

If this was a one-year deal and he announced a hiatus rather than full retirement, then it makes sense and we could make a call after the fact. But a line has been drawn in the sand and we need to put ourselves in the best possible position moving to a new conference - and I don't think that's Vincent.

This is exactly how I feel. Vincent can do a lot of damage in one year. The job is attractive right now, if he goes 4-8, then what?
06-24-2022 05:58 PM
UABFRENCHY Offline
Heisman

Donators
UAB scheduled this year is not very difficult ......run the play and play defense and we win against every weak opponent on the schedule ,,,,
06-24-2022 06:02 PM
PaUABlazer Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: uab
I will start this off by saying I truly want nothing but the best for this university & it’s football program. Here is the truth and many of you might not want to hear it, but it needs to be said. What Bill Clark said today in his retirement release & interviews will hurt the UAB football program for the next decade. The statement of “ I’m just not going to say never” & “I am stepping down, but I am not walking away,” was selfish & a way to still control what is going on here & will hurt any coach moving forward at UAB because there will always be a part of the UAB population that will say bring back Bill Clark. UAB is the husband / boyfriend Bill Clark is the wife/girlfriend that left us. If you want to move forward you can’t let your ex control everything you do in the future & you cannot make decisions thinking she’s going to come back to me. The reasons why he left don’t really matter. He does not & should not have any say on what goes on here moving forward. He has no more control here, don’t let him become Phillip Fulmer. Because Clark is not just loyal to UAB, he is loyal to his coaching staff friends & UAB. And if he is allowed to be involved in the decisions moving forward at UAB it will hurt this program because of his clouded judgment.
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2022 07:31 PM by PaUABlazer.)
06-24-2022 06:04 PM
PaUABlazer Offline
Water Engineer

(06-24-2022 06:17 PM)BlazinBham Wrote:  Post of the day ^^

How am I off base? Please tell me why Bill Clark should have any say on what happens at UAB moving forward? He retired. He didn’t take a leave of absence. He retired. UAB football cannot move forward thinking Bill Clark is going to come back.
06-24-2022 06:27 PM
B'ham Blazer Offline
All American

(06-24-2022 06:27 PM)PaUABlazer Wrote:  

How am I off base? Please tell me why Bill Clark should have any say on what happens at UAB moving forward? He retired. He didn’t take a leave of absence. He retired. UAB football cannot move forward thinking Bill Clark is going to come back.

He is agreeing with you........and you are spot on!
06-24-2022 06:31 PM
Advertisement

ICB Offline
Heisman

This decision is too important to get wrong. If the current staff has a heck they should get serious consideration. Regardless, we should have the next coach in place by season end to limit as many defections as possible. If we are kicking off a search at the end of the season we are not doing something right.
06-24-2022 06:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PaUABlazer Offline
Water Engineer

(06-24-2022 06:31 PM)Bham Blazer Wrote:  
(06-24-2022 06:27 PM)PaUABlazer Wrote:  

He is agreeing with you........and you are spot on!

In my opinion yes Clark has back issues, but this is a way to leave UAB for a P5 DC job and still keep his holier than thou status with the fan base. Bill Clark is about control that’s why UAB never got a new OC. Because Bill Clark wants to control everything. And his statements today showed he still wants to control what goes on at UAB moving forward & give his buddy Vincent a little more time to be head coach here because people will believe he is going to come back to save the day. If we just keep Vincent a little longer. UAB has to move on. The top candidates should be Deion, Tom Herman, Zach Kittley, Kendal Briles, And Mark Freeman.
06-24-2022 06:55 PM
PaUABlazer Offline
Water Engineer

(06-24-2022 06:44 PM)ICB Wrote:  This decision is too important to get wrong. If the current staff has a heck they should get serious consideration. Regardless, we should have the next coach in place by season end to limit as many defections as possible. If we are kicking off a search at the end of the season we are not doing something right.

You can’t make decisions off of the 2022 schedule because it isn’t too difficult they should win no less than 9 games. But even if they win 8 or 7 & make a bowl. That doesn’t buy Vincent another season because things are about to get a lot tougher.
06-24-2022 06:59 PM
ICB Offline
Heisman

(06-24-2022 06:59 PM)PaUABlazer Wrote:  
(06-24-2022 06:44 PM)ICB Wrote:  This decision is too important to get wrong. If the current staff has a heck they should get serious consideration. Regardless, we should have the next coach in place by season end to limit as many defections as possible. If we are kicking off a search at the end of the season we are not doing something right.

You can’t make decisions off of the 2022 schedule because it isn’t too difficult they should win no less than 9 games. But even if they win 8 or 7 & make a bowl. That doesn’t buy Vincent another season because things are about to get a lot tougher.

I agree, so maybe heck of a season is 10 or 11 wins. This is not the team McGee left… we were fortunate to get Clark. I would bet Ingram is already getting interest.
06-24-2022 07:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PaUABlazer Offline
Water Engineer

(06-24-2022 07:10 PM)ICB Wrote:  

I agree, so maybe heck of a season is 10 or 11 wins. This is not the team McGee left… we were fortunate to get Clark. I would bet Ingram is already getting interest.

I don’t trust Ingram to make the Decision at all. Ingram will try to push someone like Jeremy Pruitt on us. It needs to be the alumni & boosters.
06-24-2022 07:16 PM
Advertisement

C-Finder Offline
All American

Can Joe Webb coach? 05-hide
06-24-2022 08:00 PM
stc Offline
If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong

I Root For: UAB!!!
(06-24-2022 07:16 PM)PaUABlazer Wrote:  

I don’t trust Ingram to make the Decision at all. Ingram will try to push someone like Jeremy Pruitt on us. It needs to be the alumni & boosters.

I fully trust Ingram to make the hire. He made a great basketball and baseball hire.

Right now we see what happens this year. It feels to me that Clark might be back. If he gets well. Let’s see what happens and just be thankful we are in a great position from Clark’s work.

Side point…..I wonder if Vincent would call plays different. Maybe Clark wanted it vanilla and he followed his wishes. Just a thought.
06-24-2022 09:06 PM
UABFRENCHY Offline
Heisman

Donators
We need a new FB coach asap ,,,,,the OC was never a star as an OC ,,dont expect him to be a start as HC
I wish the coach had announced a sabbatical
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2022 09:21 PM by UABFRENCHY.)
06-24-2022 09:12 PM
PaUABlazer Offline
Water Engineer

(06-24-2022 09:06 PM)stc Wrote:  
(06-24-2022 07:16 PM)PaUABlazer Wrote:  

I fully trust Ingram to make the hire. He made a great basketball and baseball hire.

Right now we see what happens this year. It feels to me that Clark might be back. If he gets well. Let’s see what happens and just be thankful we are in a great position from Clark’s work.

Side point…..I wonder if Vincent would call plays different. Maybe Clark wanted it vanilla and he followed his wishes. Just a thought.

You have to stop thinking like Clark is going to come back. He did UAB wrong with the way this played out. It was selfish. He stated he couldn’t stand for more than 10 minutes after BYU. And that he couldn’t work the last month. He knew about this for some time but waited on making a decision because Bill Clark believes he has the right to pick the next coach at UAB. He has no right. He even stated in his announcement. I feel like it’s time to pass the torch. If he told UAB about the back issues before the Bowl game UAB could have went out and got a new coach. But he didn’t he made it to where only his people can coach next season. Which I understand he wanted to do what is best for his coaching staff but that is not what is best for UAB moving forward. All UAB fans need realize Bill Clark can never come back now. It is over we need to look forward not back.
06-24-2022 10:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.