Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Steve Dodge - RIP
Bookmark and Share
billymac Offline
Heisman

I Root For: William & Mary
Steve Dodge - RIP
For Tribe fans of a certain age, we lost a brother recently, as Steve Dodge passed away after a battle with cancer.

Steve played from 1969 - 1971 (no freshman seasons back then), alongside the likes of Bob Sherwood and Tom Jasper. He averaged 14.2 ppg for his career and was the team captain, his Senior year. He was an excellent foul shooter and a tough rebounder.

RIP, Steve.
06-20-2022 10:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Sitting bull Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
RE: Steve Dodge - RIP
(06-20-2022 10:00 AM)billymac Wrote:  For Tribe fans of a certain age, we lost a brother recently, as Steve Dodge passed away after a battle with cancer.

Steve played from 1969 - 1971 (no freshman seasons back then), alongside the likes of Bob Sherwood and Tom Jasper. He averaged 14.2 ppg for his career and was the team captain, his Senior year. He was an excellent foul shooter and a tough rebounder.

RIP, Steve.

Sorry to hear this! I knew his father who was a very class act.
06-20-2022 11:44 AM
Florida tribe fan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tribe
[quote='billymac' pid='18280272' dateline='1655737242']
For Tribe fans of a certain age, we lost a brother recently, as Steve Dodge passed away after a battle with cancer.

RIP, Steve.
[/quote

My recollection is he was on a team that beat Richmond four times in a single season?
06-20-2022 07:22 PM
Blow Gym rat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: FUS
Those guys are among my earliest Tribe sports memories as a kid, even slightly before the Phil Mosser/David Knight football teams. Oh, to travel back in time and watch one more game in Blow Gym…. RIP Steve - I still remember you well.
06-20-2022 07:40 PM
Advertisement

Blow Gym rat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: FUS
(06-20-2022 07:22 PM)Florida tribe fan Wrote:  My recollection is he was on a team that beat Richmond four times in a single season?

I can't figure out how to post the article (it's in a childhood scrapbook), but yes, the 1970-71 team did beat Richmond four times (twice in the Big Five tournament and twice in the regular season). Unfortunately, in true Tribe style, they then lost to the Ticks by two points in their fifth meting of the season, in the Southern Conference tournament semifinals.

Quote from Coach Mitchell after the fourth win: "Next time we play, we better bring brass knuckles."
06-28-2022 02:16 PM
NC Tribe Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M, JMU
(06-28-2022 02:16 PM)Blow Gym rat Wrote:  
(06-20-2022 07:22 PM)Florida tribe fan Wrote:  My recollection is he was on a team that beat Richmond four times in a single season?

I can't figure out how to post the article (it's in a childhood scrapbook), but yes, the 1970-71 team did beat Richmond four times (twice in the Big Five tournament and twice in the regular season). Unfortunately, in true Tribe style, they then lost to the Ticks by two points in their fifth meting of the season, in the Southern Conference tournament semifinals.

Quote from Coach Mitchell after the fourth win: "Next time we play, we better bring brass knuckles."

How do you play the same twice in a tournament? Did they have the winner of the losers bracket play the undfeated team in the finals? In a wrestling tournamnet once you have lost, the best you can place is 3rd. So I guess the Tribe could have met Richmand again in a losers bracket game.
06-29-2022 09:14 AM
Sitting bull Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
(06-29-2022 09:14 AM)NC Tribe Wrote:  
(06-28-2022 02:16 PM)Blow Gym rat Wrote:  

How do you play the same twice in a tournament? Did they have the winner of the losers bracket play the undfeated team in the finals? In a wrestling tournamnet once you have lost, the best you can place is 3rd. So I guess the Tribe could have met Richmand again in a losers bracket game.

The “big 5” tournament had 5 teams: W&M, UR, VMI, UVA and VA Tech. I remember it in the 60s. The last one was played I think at the Hampton Coliseum which was brand new. With 5, you had eliminations and possibility to play one team twice.
06-29-2022 09:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.