05-21-2022 06:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Ken Barna Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU
RE: OT I can't believe he said this with a straight face department
Dear Friends,
Did anyone in their right mind think the NIL would lead to anything, but the direct payment of monies to college athletes. This is out of control, and will ruin college athletics.
05-21-2022 08:10 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(05-21-2022 08:10 AM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear Friends,
Did anyone in their right mind think the NIL would lead to anything, but the direct payment of monies to college athletes. This is out of control, and will ruin college athletics.

At least NO one on this forum. I (and others) have been screaming from the roof tops that this is wild west, cheating, etc. etc. and can't be a good thing.

It was a matter of time before it metastasized and it blew up. It has gone well past the time that it can be ignored and college administrators need to clean it up.

As we have discussed, there is a SCOTUS case in favor of NIL so that sets some parameters and Congress needs to get its act together and codify some rules. Now it is state by state, BUT CFB/MBB, etc. are INTER-state commerce. As soon as one hears "Inter-state commerce" there is federal jurisdiction.
(This post was last modified: 05-21-2022 08:33 AM by emu steve.)
05-21-2022 08:29 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
05-23-2022 04:13 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(05-23-2022 04:13 AM)emu79 Wrote:  https://www.freep.com/story/sports/colum...870983002/

This in-fighting is a good thing.

When all of this crap is front page news, the motivation is there to make changes.

So long as Saban is happy and Fisher is happy, nothing changes.
05-23-2022 05:32 AM
dansplaining Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU - DCFC
(05-21-2022 08:29 AM)emu steve Wrote:  

At least NO one on this forum. I (and others) have been screaming from the roof tops that this is wild west, cheating, etc. etc. and can't be a good thing.

It was a matter of time before it metastasized and it blew up. It has gone well past the time that it can be ignored and college administrators need to clean it up.

As we have discussed, there is a SCOTUS case in favor of NIL so that sets some parameters and Congress needs to get its act together and codify some rules. Now it is state by state, BUT CFB/MBB, etc. are INTER-state commerce. As soon as one hears "Inter-state commerce" there is federal jurisdiction.

I think this is great. i think the transfer portal needs some guide rails but hell yeah buy some players. if i won the powerball emu football would make miami look like cub scouts.
05-23-2022 11:38 AM
Advertisement

Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(05-23-2022 11:38 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  

I think this is great. i think the transfer portal needs some guide rails but hell yeah buy some players. if i won the powerball emu football would make miami look like cub scouts.
Yawn. No one wants to win that way plus, I can think of a million things I'd do if I won the powerball and it doesn't include making it rain on a bunch of snot nosed 18 year old college football players, that I can tell you.
05-23-2022 05:23 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

FIRST OF ALL: HIRE A COMMISIONER OF NCAA SPORTS.

Forget about the pretense of academics and put the resume's of liberal arts PHD's like Miles Brand and Mark Emmert in the "circular file" next to the desk, commonly known as the wastebasket. NIL has obliterated the prior and often ridiculous mission to the NCAA as we currently know it.

Find someone on Roger Goodell's staff as they will be versed in business, legal and government operations.

That person will establish a plan to keep college athletics robust and establish the necessary guard rails, instead of the "wild, wild west" we have now.
05-23-2022 06:11 PM
Ken Barna Offline
All American

Dear Jerry,
Excellent point! President Theodore Roosevelt did the same thing to reform college football at the turn of the last century. Then, rules were made to control the "out of control violence" that had taken over the game. In my opinion, we started down this road with outrageous coaches salaries, which brought about a need to win at any cost.
05-23-2022 08:48 PM
masttg Offline
1st String

(05-23-2022 05:23 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  

Yawn. No one wants to win that way plus, I can think of a million things I'd do if I won the powerball and it doesn't include making it rain on a bunch of snot nosed 18 year old college football players, that I can tell you.
If you won the powerball then you’d finally be able to pay up to Weaver.
05-23-2022 09:49 PM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(05-23-2022 09:49 PM)masttg Wrote:  
(05-23-2022 05:23 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  

If you won the powerball then you’d finally be able to pay up to Weaver.
Last I checked Joey Hauser has another year of eligibility and then he will join his bro Sam in the NBA. Go State!!!
05-24-2022 06:13 AM
Advertisement

Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(05-23-2022 08:48 PM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear Jerry,
Excellent point! President Theodore Roosevelt did the same thing to reform college football at the turn of the last century. Then, rules were made to control the "out of control violence" that had taken over the game. In my opinion, we started down this road with outrageous coaches salaries, which brought about a need to win at any cost.
A President Teddy Roosevelt reset! Got any factoids on Knute Rockne, Jim Thorpe, Abe Lincoln or the Louisiana Purchase? This place cracks me up.
05-24-2022 06:18 AM
Ken Barna Offline
All American

Dear Bob,
Yes, as a matter of fact! Knute Rockne was a chemistry professor before becoming football coach.
In any case, those that forget their past are bound to repeat it.
05-24-2022 08:55 AM
dansplaining Offline
All American

(05-24-2022 08:55 AM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear Bob,
Yes, as a matter of fact! Knute Rockne was a chemistry professor before becoming football coach.
In any case, those that forget their past are bound to repeat it.

Roosevelt got involved because people were dying because early footaball was a way to kill 19 year olds between war. players getting compensated for their labor hardly feels like the same level of issue.
05-24-2022 09:19 AM
Ken Barna Offline
All American

Dear dansplaining,
The point is that in both examples, if corrections are/were not made, the game as we know it could disappear.
05-24-2022 09:54 AM
dansplaining Offline
All American

(05-24-2022 09:54 AM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear dansplaining,
The point is that in both examples, if corrections are/were not made, the game as we know it could disappear.

the game as we know it disappears every few years. it disappeared when they let freshmen play. it disappeared when they let black people play. it disappeared when schools started spending unlimited money on facilities and coaches. it disappeared when they added the forward pass. the game as we know it will always disappear.
05-24-2022 10:25 AM
Advertisement

Ken Barna Offline
All American

Dear dansplaining,
Your definition of disappearing is different from mine. When I say disappearing, I mean gone. Yours is more of change then disappear.
05-24-2022 11:35 AM
dansplaining Offline
All American

(05-24-2022 11:35 AM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear dansplaining,
Your definition of disappearing is different from mine. When I say disappearing, I mean gone. Yours is more of change then disappear.

college football is more popular than the NFL
05-24-2022 12:24 PM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

(05-24-2022 12:24 PM)dansplaining Wrote:  

It is debatable which is more popular. And a big part of what makes college football popular (not necessarily more popular) is that it is amateur athletics associated people’s beloved alma maters (not necessarily all watchers, but many). If college athletics becomes a well paid professional league, I as well as many others will stop watching.

I understand and even agree with your ideals of how unfairly college athletes were treated/compensated historically especially given the big bucks that coaches, administrators, and media were dealing in. But there needs to be middle ground between requiring the players to be treated more equitably and allowing amateur athletics to become professional. Otherwise, many viewers will disappear.
05-24-2022 12:55 PM
dansplaining Offline
All American

(05-24-2022 12:55 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  
(05-24-2022 12:24 PM)dansplaining Wrote:  

It is debatable which is more popular. And a big part of what makes college football popular (not necessarily more popular) is that it is amateur athletics associated people’s beloved alma maters (not necessarily all watchers, but many). If college athletics becomes a well paid professional league, I as well as many others will stop watching.

I understand and even agree with your ideals of how unfairly college athletes were treated/compensated historically especially given the big bucks that coaches, administrators, and media were dealing in. But there needs to be middle ground between requiring the players to be treated more equitably and allowing amateur athletics to become professional. Otherwise, many viewers will disappear.

not wanting to watch college football because the players are getting paid is patently absurd.
05-24-2022 12:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.