Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

...and DOWN THE STRETCH they come.....
Bookmark and Share
BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Two weeks to go. Here's a capsule

Texas State 20-4, host Louisiana, at Georgia State--Bobcats have been the frontrunners all season, but the Cajuns are solid and Texas State is much better at home than the road. That last series shouldn't be taken for granted.

Georgia Southern 18-6 at Little Rock, UTA at home. On paper they have the easiest schedule. But Hayden Arnold is capable of beating anyone, especially at Gary Hogan Field.

Louisiana 17-7 at Texas State, Little Rock--If the Cajuns have a hope at an at large, they probably need to win the series this weekend.

Coastal Carolina (16-7-1) at Troy, South Alabama--Six tough ones to close it out, but the Chants are playing the best baseball in the Sun Belt right now.

South Alabama (13-11) ULM, at CCU--Jags hold the tiebreaker over Troy as of right now.

Troy (13-11) CCU, at App: Losing three hurt, but the Trojans are still in good shape for the top 6. It would help if they got at least one this weekend, because App is no slouch in Boone.

Georgia State (12-12) At Arkansas State, Texas State--Winning in Jonesboro in May is not a given. Everyone will be watching on the final weekend.

Little Rock (9-14) Georgia Southern, at Louisiana--Trojans have the toughest road in the final two weekends. Right now they're in good shape to finish in the Top Ten. They need to make sure it stays that way.

App State (7-17) at UTA, Troy--Sunday's win over GSU was big for the 'Neers. The loser of the series in Arlington will have a tough time finishing in the top ten.

ULM (6-17-1) @South Alabama, Arkansas State--Warhawks let one slip away against Texas State. They could really use one in Mobile, because A-State isn't going to lay down.

UTA (6-18) App, at Georgia Southern. It may all boil down to this weekend for the Mavericks.

Arkansas State (5-18) Georgia State, at ULM. They aren't out of it. But they need to steal a game or two this weekend and then be road warriors.
05-09-2022 11:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
RE: ...and DOWN THE STRETCH they come.....
Going by what Baseball America says, Georgia Southern can finish with an RPI high enough to host a regional but needs to win the regular season.

It would be the most Rodney Hennon thing ever for us on paper to have the inside track to the regular-season title on paper then take a series loss this weekend. The same way last season we got a big series win over South Alabama and then went on to Jonesboro and took a series loss.

Best-case scenario for us is UL taking 2 of 3. A Cajun sweep or Texas State series win puts us in a difficult spot to finish first in the regular season with no sweep over Little Rock.
05-09-2022 11:40 AM
GATA Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: GA Southern
We've put ourselves in pretty damn good position this year. Need to finish strong and with a little outside help possibly take our first baseball conference championship since joining

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
05-09-2022 01:03 PM
BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(05-09-2022 01:03 PM)GATA Wrote:  We've put ourselves in pretty damn good position this year. Need to finish strong and with a little outside help possibly take our first baseball conference championship since joining

A regular season title would be great. But for Georgia Southern, the good news is the Eagles will be in postseason for the first time as a member of the Sun Belt.
05-09-2022 01:24 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
That stupid tie between ULM and Coastal might keep us out of the league tournament...lol
05-09-2022 01:31 PM
GATA Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: GA Southern
(05-09-2022 01:24 PM)BirdofParadise Wrote:  
(05-09-2022 01:03 PM)GATA Wrote:  We've put ourselves in pretty damn good position this year. Need to finish strong and with a little outside help possibly take our first baseball conference championship since joining

A regular season title would be great. But for Georgia Southern, the good news is the Eagles will be in postseason for the first time as a member of the Sun Belt.
Getting in without having to go through you guys or USA in the finals is a huge relief.

Hopefully we end up with 3 or the outside chance of 4 teams in

05-09-2022 01:36 PM
Advertisement

FrankyP Offline
All American

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns
(05-09-2022 01:36 PM)GATA Wrote:  
(05-09-2022 01:24 PM)BirdofParadise Wrote:  

Getting in without having to go through you guys or USA in the finals is a huge relief.

Hopefully we end up with 3 or the outside chance of 4 teams in

Yes, that’s really nice. Congrats.
05-09-2022 02:15 PM
Big Buds Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
Really wish I could make the trip out to San Marcos this weekend. My son is coming in town to visit and I haven’t seen him in a few months. I’ll be cheering from the couch that’s for sure!
05-09-2022 03:02 PM
OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
(05-09-2022 01:31 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  That stupid tie between ULM and Coastal might keep us out of the league tournament...lol

The SBC should be very thankful. If we were to get in someone would have to waste a pitcher to boot us out.
05-09-2022 04:29 PM
FrankyP Offline
All American

(05-09-2022 03:02 PM)Big Buds Wrote:  Really wish I could make the trip out to San Marcos this weekend. My son is coming in town to visit and I haven’t seen him in a few months. I’ll be cheering from the couch that’s for sure!
Same here. High on our travel list yet it will remain elusive yet again.
05-09-2022 04:33 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(05-09-2022 04:29 PM)OsageJ Wrote:  
(05-09-2022 01:31 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  That stupid tie between ULM and Coastal might keep us out of the league tournament...lol

The SBC should be very thankful. If we were to get in someone would have to waste a pitcher to boot us out.

Well, we get a preview this weekend of who would be the poor soul forced to waste a pitcher against us.
05-09-2022 07:11 PM
Advertisement

slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
UL has two midweek games against Rice this week and TXST has no midweek games. It will be interesting to see how that affects weekend pitching for UL and TXST should be fully rested.
05-10-2022 07:24 AM
sdcritter Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
I'm hoping it's over for stAte soon so our new AD can get his feet wet by firing Raffo. Time to move on.
05-10-2022 07:45 AM
FrankyP Offline
All American

(05-10-2022 07:24 AM)slycat Wrote:  UL has two midweek games against Rice this week and TXST has no midweek games. It will be interesting to see how that affects weekend pitching for UL and TXST should be fully rested.

Not to mention how this will effect our RPI, even if we sweep.
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2022 08:19 AM by FrankyP.)
05-10-2022 08:19 AM
SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
(05-10-2022 07:24 AM)slycat Wrote:  UL has two midweek games against Rice this week and TXST has no midweek games. It will be interesting to see how that affects weekend pitching for UL and TXST should be fully rested.

South Alabama has two midweek games this week too. I think that accounts for some of the strange pitching decisions USA fans saw on Sunday. I was perplexed in the moment but then realized we had two midweek games. We don’t have the pitching depth we expected to start the season.. Several pitchers have been out for the season, including All American Jeremy Lee to injury and our closer Sam Knowlton. Jeremy Lee was there projected #1 pitcher, but that became Miles Smith, who himself has been out several weeks. He’s played sparingly in the last couple weeks, mainly coming out in relief. Here is who pitched for USA on Sunday
Eric Lin 65 pitches (3.1 innings pitched)
Jojo Booker 11 pitches (0.1 inning pitched)
Miles Smith 11 pitches (0.1 inning pitched)
Walker Johnson 49 pitches (2.2 innings pitched)
Seth Carter 9 pitches (0.1 innings pitched)
Eli Runyan 9 pitches (0.2 innings pitched)
Hunter Stokes 16 pitches (1.1 innings pitched)

So yeah, our 1B closed the game for USA on Sunday. We have Tulane in New Orleans tonight and UNO at home on Wednesday.
05-10-2022 08:34 AM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
(05-10-2022 08:19 AM)FrankyP Wrote:  

Playing Rice used to mean something. That program never survived losing their coach.
05-10-2022 08:37 AM
Advertisement

FrankyP Offline
All American

(05-10-2022 08:37 AM)slycat Wrote:  

Playing Rice used to mean something. That program never survived losing their coach.

Yes, what a shame that is. It is even more puzzling that with schools like Rice and Tulane, with the gobs of money these people have that they still mostly suck at every sport they play.
05-10-2022 09:33 AM
SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
And just like that, we are down to one midweek game:
UPDATE: Due to scheduling conflicts with the UNO baseball schedule, tomorrow 5/11 home baseball contest between the Jags and UNO has been canceled.
- South Alabama Ticket Office
05-10-2022 09:45 AM
FrankyP Offline
All American

(05-10-2022 08:37 AM)slycat Wrote:  

And *also* not to mention that we won’t even be able to watch either of the games since it’s only on that stooopid cooosa tv thingy.
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2022 02:14 PM by FrankyP.)
05-10-2022 01:18 PM
MBA2000 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Tx St & SBC
(05-09-2022 03:02 PM)Big Buds Wrote:  Really wish I could make the trip out to San Marcos this weekend. My son is coming in town to visit and I haven’t seen him in a few months. I’ll be cheering from the couch that’s for sure!

All 3 games will be on ESPN+. 6pm, 4pm and 1pm.
05-11-2022 07:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.