Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2022 Women's Tennis
Bookmark and Share
Zorch Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
2022 Women's Tennis
Congratulations to the Women's Tennis Team for winning the CAA Championship 4-1 over Elon! Back to the promised land!
05-01-2022 11:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tribal Offline

I Root For: William & Mary
2022 Women's Tennis
Ahh, ol reliable WTen. How we appreciate thee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
05-01-2022 03:03 PM
Zorch Offline
All American

RE: 2022 Women's Tennis
The Tribe will play at #6 seed N.C. State. The other two teams in that group are VCU and Tennessee.

Go Tribe!
05-02-2022 05:54 PM
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

Why is tennis, a competition between individuals, treated as a team endeavor in college and high school? Imagine the best college tennis player in the country winning every individual match, but her team losing and not playing in the NCAA tourney. Doubles is a team, but thats just 2. Gymnastics at least has the same setup in the Olympics with team-aggregate scores. Swimmers and Track also can compete individually in the NCAA tournament without their "team."
05-03-2022 08:41 AM
Advertisement

wml33t Offline
1st String

I Root For: William and Mar
(05-03-2022 08:41 AM)nogretheogre Wrote:  Why is tennis, a competition between individuals, treated as a team endeavor in college and high school? Imagine the best college tennis player in the country winning every individual match, but her team losing and not playing in the NCAA tourney. Doubles is a team, but thats just 2. Gymnastics at least has the same setup in the Olympics with team-aggregate scores. Swimmers and Track also can compete individually in the NCAA tournament without their "team."

When I was a tennis player in HS in VA, it operated like gymnastics. Is that not the case anymore and/or with college tennis?
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2022 08:56 AM by wml33t.)
05-03-2022 08:54 AM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

NCAA tennis has separate brackets for teams, singles, and doubles. You can qualify for singles and doubles without your team qualifying. For example, there's a BYU player in the men's singles bracket, but BYU is not in the team bracket.

https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/tennis-women/d1/2022
https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/tennis-men/d1/2022

Edit: The nice thing about this men's tennis page is scrolling down to see the 2 NCAA championships & 1 runner-up won by W&M from 1946-1948.
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2022 09:10 AM by WMInTheBurg.)
05-03-2022 09:08 AM
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

Ahhh. I see. And it seems the singles tournament begins the day after the team final.
05-03-2022 11:45 AM
Advertisement

nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

(05-03-2022 11:45 AM)nogretheogre Wrote:  Ahhh. I see. And it seems the singles tournament begins the day after the team final.

And there it is...Saric selected to individual singles tourney
https://tribeathletics.com/news/2022/5/3...nship.aspx
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2022 05:53 PM by nogretheogre.)
05-03-2022 05:52 PM
Zorch Offline
All American

(05-03-2022 05:52 PM)nogretheogre Wrote:  
(05-03-2022 11:45 AM)nogretheogre Wrote:  Ahhh. I see. And it seems the singles tournament begins the day after the team final.

And there it is...Saric selected to individual singles tourney
https://tribeathletics.com/news/2022/5/3...nship.aspx

Great news! She made it as an automatic qualifier. I noticed that lately she has not been as ultra dominant as earlier in the year or previous years. Hopefully it is nothing more than a short-term bug and she will be back to her dominant self at the event.
05-03-2022 06:53 PM
Zorch Offline
All American

Tribe lose at N.C. State in NCAA tournament, 4-0. The Tribe highlight was the doubles team of Raffaela Alhach / Elisa Van Meeteren hanging with the #1 team in the country. They were trailing 5-4 when the match was abandoned.
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2022 04:57 PM by Zorch.)
05-07-2022 04:51 PM
Advertisement

Zorch Offline
All American

Congratulations to Mila Saric for playing well in the NCAA Women's Tennis Singles Championship! Mila won the first set 6-3 and lost in the second and third sets 6-4 (to #32 Carolyn Campana of Wake Forest). Only 6 out of the 32 matches even went to 3 sets, so Mila played well. Thanks for a stellar career representing William & Mary !!
05-24-2022 11:47 AM
Zorch Offline
All American

The NCAA Women's Tennis National Championship for Doubles just completed and it was won by Jaeda Daniel and Nell Miller of NC State (congrats).

Way back on May 7 in the first round of the team play W&M played NC State. State won the Doubles point but the match between both #1 teams was abandoned once the doubles point was won. In that #1 match Daniel/Miller (NC State) was leading Raffaela Alhach and Elisa Van Meeteren (W&M) by only 5-4! The Tribe hung tough and could have possibly won against the top doubles team in the country!
05-30-2022 08:55 AM
Blow Gym rat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: FUS
(05-30-2022 08:55 AM)Zorch Wrote:  The NCAA Women's Tennis National Championship for Doubles just completed and it was won by Jaeda Daniel and Nell Miller of NC State (congrats).

Way back on May 7 in the first round of the team play W&M played NC State. State won the Doubles point but the match between both #1 teams was abandoned once the doubles point was won. In that #1 match Daniel/Miller (NC State) was leading Raffaela Alhach and Elisa Van Meeteren (W&M) by only 5-4! The Tribe hung tough and could have possibly won against the top doubles team in the country!

I’ve never quite understood why they “abandon” events in tennis. I guess it could be compared to not playing the bottom of the ninth in baseball when it won’t affect the outcome - and maybe to avoid risk of injury, etc. But tennis isn’t strictly a team sport - individual/doubles team results also “matter” to some extent, and this is an example.

Our kids swim - they don’t stop the meet as soon as the team winner is decided. (Do they at the college level?). To me, tennis seems more analogous to that - a “team sport” composed of individual and “small group” events that have their own significance apart from the team outcome.

But I’ve never been much of a tennis guy.
05-30-2022 10:02 AM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

(05-30-2022 10:02 AM)Blow Gym rat Wrote:  
(05-30-2022 08:55 AM)Zorch Wrote:  The NCAA Women's Tennis National Championship for Doubles just completed and it was won by Jaeda Daniel and Nell Miller of NC State (congrats).

I’ve never quite understood why they “abandon” events in tennis. I guess it could be compared to not playing the bottom of the ninth in baseball when it won’t affect the outcome - and maybe to avoid risk of injury, etc. But tennis isn’t strictly a team sport - individual/doubles team results also “matter” to some extent, and this is an example.

Our kids swim - they don’t stop the meet as soon as the team winner is decided. (Do they at the college level?). To me, tennis seems more analogous to that - a “team sport” composed of individual and “small group” events that have their own significance apart from the team outcome.

But I’ve never been much of a tennis guy.

The reason they stop is to conserve energy since doubles is played before singles, and many (most?) players play both singles and doubles.
05-30-2022 09:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.