Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

US News College Ranking contest: Rank JMU
Bookmark and Share
2Buck Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
Very exciting times for JMU, finally FBS and now getting press and attention at the national level. In the next few months we'll probably also see JMU finally ranked among "national" universities in the US News & World Report.

Save the blah, blah, blah about rankings being bullsh@t. Of course they're hardly perfect and get gamed by schools, regardless it's very prominent national exposure for JMU. Things have changed quite a bit for JMU since I attended, the mission to grow may not have affected the quality of education, but many metrics have diluted things compared to schools when I was looking. Schools like Maryland and U of Miami were a joke, now the likes Univ of South Florida sniffing the top 100 and George Mason at 148.

So, where does JMU rank?

Winner gets a case or bottle of their favorite intoxicant up to $100. It looks like USNWR clumps a lot of schools with tie rankings, so there could very well be a tie in this contest (some ranks have a dozen or more schools). If that's the case, I'll come up with an entertaining way to break the tie. By that, of course, I mean it will be entertaining for us and not the winners.

My guess: 130
04-29-2022 03:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jmutoml757 Offline
All American

I Root For: jmu
RE: US News College Ranking contest: Rank JMU
(04-29-2022 03:57 PM)2Buck Wrote:  Very exciting times for JMU, finally FBS and now getting press and attention at the national level. In the next few months we'll probably also see JMU finally ranked among "national" universities in the US News & World Report.

Save the blah, blah, blah about rankings being bullsh@t. Of course they're hardly perfect and get gamed by schools, regardless it's very prominent national exposure for JMU. Things have changed quite a bit for JMU since I attended, the mission to grow may not have affected the quality of education, but many metrics have diluted things compared to schools when I was looking. Schools like Maryland and U of Miami were a joke, now the likes Univ of South Florida sniffing the top 100 and George Mason at 148.

So, where does JMU rank?

Winner gets a case or bottle of their favorite intoxicant up to $100. It looks like USNWR clumps a lot of schools with tie rankings, so there could very well be a tie in this contest (some ranks have a dozen or more schools). If that's the case, I'll come up with an entertaining way to break the tie. By that, of course, I mean it will be entertaining for us and not the winners.

My guess: 130

04-29-2022 04:00 PM
bjk3047 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU DUKES.
04-29-2022 04:57 PM
purplesanman Offline
1st String

04-29-2022 04:58 PM
Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison Dukes
04-29-2022 06:32 PM
bridgeforthduke Offline
All American

04-29-2022 07:53 PM
Advertisement

JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
04-29-2022 08:36 PM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

04-29-2022 08:47 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

I also can't believe Tech is as high as 75th. Are they firmly ahead of JMU in the VA academic prestige ranking now? Is JMU a Tech student's safety school at this point? I haven't applied to college in almost 20 years, so I really have no idea anymore.

Also, how are the two major AZ schools 117th and better? I thought ASU was considered one of the worst P5 schools from an academic standpoint, equal to WVU and TX Tech? Are they benefitting from an exodus of So Cal high school students bringing the quality of their student body up?
04-29-2022 08:50 PM
jmu98 Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU
So much as changed with getting into school over last 20 years. Many of the big state schools that were a joke 20 years ago are now highly competitive to get into. I’m not sure they are any better schools but much more selective.

Florida State was one side of a piece of paper 30 years ago and if you had a pulse you were accepted. It now takes over 1200 on the SAT to get in.
04-29-2022 08:54 PM
jmu98 Offline
All American

Oh and university of Miami has never really been a joke to get into. Maryland on the other hand has gotten super competitive. Just for comparison to 30 years ago Villanova was my safety school and I wouldn’t sniff getting in there today.
04-29-2022 08:58 PM
Advertisement

Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-29-2022 08:58 PM)jmu98 Wrote:  Oh and university of Miami has never really been a joke to get into. Maryland on the other hand has gotten super competitive. Just for comparison to 30 years ago Villanova was my safety school and I wouldn’t sniff getting in there today.

Part of that is 1) media coverage of FBS and the exposure it brings but also 2) with each generation, more Americans are going to college than the last and you're quite literally competing with more people than past generations had to.
04-29-2022 09:00 PM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
(04-29-2022 09:00 PM)Potomac Wrote:  
(04-29-2022 08:58 PM)jmu98 Wrote:  Oh and university of Miami has never really been a joke to get into. Maryland on the other hand has gotten super competitive. Just for comparison to 30 years ago Villanova was my safety school and I wouldn’t sniff getting in there today.

Part of that is 1) media coverage of FBS and the exposure it brings but also 2) with each generation, more Americans are going to college than the last and you're quite literally competing with more people than past generations had to.
Much like UVA, Villanova wasn’t easy to get into but has gotten a lot more difficult due to their success in basketball.
04-29-2022 10:02 PM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
For a bottle of Makers I’ll go

I hope I’m dreadfully wrong, but after my chillin’s 3-1/2 years there (class of ‘20), I’m not sure that’s far off.
04-29-2022 11:33 PM
bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison!!
Feelin the 129.... 99 within 10 years
04-30-2022 12:08 AM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

I don't believe we'll get a lot of respect this first year.

04-30-2022 02:52 AM
Advertisement

Bawlmer Duke Offline
1st String

How about 166
04-30-2022 07:42 AM
JMU Offline
All American

04-30-2022 08:14 AM
JMUrcc06 Offline
1st String

04-30-2022 08:14 AM
purplesanman Offline
1st String

I thought I posted this the other day, but don't see it (sorry if it a dupe).

We were in the top 100 in Forbes last year, which is awesome!

Tech was in the top 75, and even gmu was a couple spots ahead of us. It looks like the second level of va schools (ie, not uva or w&m) are getting more respect as a whole, but the hierarchy within that group is not what it once was.

Oh, and in the forbes list, richmond was outside the top 100. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
04-30-2022 08:21 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.