WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

"Facilities"
ess Offline
1st String

I Root For: The individual
"Facilities"
As we continue to look for excuses about why WMU BB can't compete.

I'm (semi) astounded that nobody has brought up the issue of NIL $$$.

Even at this level, WMU has lost recruits to other schools over the past 2 years because of this.

It's the world we live in now.

Thoughts?

Answers?
04-18-2022 07:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

65Bronco Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
RE: "Facilities"
True, WMU cannot compete with the "POWER 5" SCHOOLS due to the NIL. In fact even less now. But you need to look at the future. The Big Boys will break off by themselves (greed you know), and the "Group of 5" will be left to fend for themselves. So, WMU will not be competing with the power 5 group for players, but maybe the second group will be competing with each other. I like breaking off. We should not have to compete with Duke, Kansas, Mihigan State, North Carolina, etc. to get some national notariety. Lets have our own tournament. Lets compete with the USA, American, SunBelt, WAC, Mountain West, and the others that don't have the resources the big boys have. So what if we can' beat Duke, we may have a pretty good tournament with Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee, Troy, Alabama Birmingham, San Diego State, and on and on. There are so many TV networks looking for events, I'm sure this group could get some pretty good payouts.
P.S. I officially HATE the NIL. The word is out that one kid (still a senior in high school) has committed to Alabama for football, and already has taken in over 1 Million dollars through the NIL. I never thought it would come to the level where schools and their boosters could basically BUY the players they wanted, but that appears to be the future of college sports.
Too bad....I love the amateurs.
04-18-2022 07:21 PM
ess Offline
1st String

WMU BB has lost kids to other MM level schools, and/or other "MM +" schools because of NIL $$$.

What is the new AD's vision for this issue?

And how does he plan to accomplish his vision?

Has anyone asked him?
04-18-2022 07:36 PM
Nacho Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU
I've brought it up before. B. Artis White comes to mind as someone who could reap the benefits of NIL as he has over a million followers on TikTok. He can easily do brand deals and stuff now. He would be a good resource for the rest of the athletic department to lean on.
04-18-2022 08:07 PM
Liam9903 Offline
Field Marshal

I Root For: WesternMichigan
We can't even get people to buy a ticket, why would we expect someone to finance our players?
04-19-2022 08:02 AM
GRBRONCO Offline
1st String

It all comes back to alumni and community support. WMU has none.
04-19-2022 08:29 AM
Advertisement

okgc Offline
Heisman

My random thoughts-
For NIL to be successful here WMU athletics needs to “sell” their products to corporate SW Michigan. Hopefully new AD & staff have some ideas.

MAC ACTION Weeknight football games along with general lack of local WMU sports news coverage has certainly hurt sports attendance.
Does mlive even have one WMU article a week?
Why buy football season tickets with no interest or availability to attend two night weekday games?

Bronco hockey has it’s nitch fan interest but I would bet over 80% of SW Michigan knew nothing of this years WMU team getting to NCAA tournament.
04-19-2022 08:58 AM
HeatherF Offline
Bench Warmer

Eastern has a plan and a vision for NIL set up by former players,

https://www.gameabove.com/
04-19-2022 09:00 AM
Brownandgoldlaker Offline
1st String

I Root For: westernmichigan
(04-19-2022 08:58 AM)okgc Wrote:  I would bet over 80% of SW Michigan knew nothing of this years WMU team getting to NCAA tournament.

If true, that would be a real PR/Marketing failure.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2022 11:26 AM by Brownandgoldlaker.)
04-19-2022 11:23 AM
Liam9903 Offline
Field Marshal

I Root For: WesternMichigan
(04-19-2022 11:23 AM)Brownandgoldlaker Wrote:  
(04-19-2022 08:58 AM)okgc Wrote:  I would bet over 80% of SW Michigan knew nothing of this years WMU team getting to NCAA tournament.

80% of the public counldn't tell you who won the Stanley Cup last year. College Hockey is a niche of a niche sport. The buzz that was generated for a team that as great as it was, didn't have a championship to hang its hat on is I think a pretty decent showing for the marketing team.
04-19-2022 12:51 PM
moe24 Offline
Original Lawson Lunatic

Do you have any idea how long that's been a problem at WMU?
04-19-2022 12:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

okgc Offline
Heisman

(04-19-2022 12:55 PM)moe24 Wrote:  

Since Graham Couch moved to Lansing ! ?
04-19-2022 01:00 PM
moe24 Offline
Original Lawson Lunatic

(04-19-2022 01:00 PM)okgc Wrote:  
(04-19-2022 12:55 PM)moe24 Wrote:  

Since Graham Couch moved to Lansing ! ?

04-rock05-stirthepot
04-19-2022 01:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Windycitybronco Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: WMU!
Marketing and PR are two things WMU has never done well. In regards to hockey, I live in Minnesota, a state where hockey is a religion, yet very few could tell you anything about Western Michigan. Maybe the die hard guys who go to the local rink to watch peewee games for the fun of it (they don’t have kids playing) can acknowledge WMU’s overall success, but outside of our current ranking, nothing.
I am still flabbergasted by the fact that most sports fans, if asked, can’t confidently say that WMU is a d1 football school, or basketball for that matter.
But yah, we don’t market well.
04-20-2022 05:43 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I think WMU did an adequate job promoting the hockey team's NCAA appearance, at least through social media and email.

It's just that relatively few people follow (or care about) college hockey. As others said, it's very niche.

Our Quick Lane Bowl, kicking off at a rough 11 am EST, had 1.1 million TV viewers. And that was among the least-watched bowls.

The NCAA hockey championship game had less than half of that (404,000 viewers).
04-20-2022 06:31 PM
Charm City Bronco Offline
Fights for Justice

(04-20-2022 06:31 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  I think WMU did an adequate job promoting the hockey team's NCAA appearance, at least through social media and email.

It's just that relatively few people follow (or care about) college hockey. As others said, it's very niche.

Our Quick Lane Bowl, kicking off at a rough 11 am EST, had 1.1 million TV viewers. And that was among the least-watched bowls.

The NCAA hockey championship game had less than half of that (404,000 viewers).

So what? Really sad that the WMU hockey team had its best season ever and has achieved consistent success and all the bitter WMU men's bball fans do nothing but 5hit on them. Again, for the millionth time, your beef is not with hockey, it's with football being the insatiable beast.

You know what? I went to a ton of hockey games but I also went to a lot of both men's and women's bball games at WMU. Show some support for other student athletes on campus instead of projecting your pathetic lives on them.

I am not attacking you Motown Bronco personally, unless you truly do feel this way, and more generally the complaint that hockey is successful at the expense of men's bball.
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2022 09:10 PM by Charm City Bronco.)
04-20-2022 09:09 PM
Advertisement

Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

My main point was that WMU did a good job in promoting, at least from what I saw, but the sport overall just doesn’t have the buy-in as it should/could.

I know this is within the basketball forum, but I wasn’t trying to tie it into basketball (or football, for that matter, despite the bowl mention). I kind of went OT.

But to your final point - no, I don’t necessarily think hockey’s success has been “robbing” basketball of theirs.
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2022 10:12 PM by Motown Bronco.)
04-20-2022 09:43 PM
Charm City Bronco Offline
Fights for Justice

(04-20-2022 09:43 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  My main point was that WMU did a good job in promoting, at least from what I saw, but the sport overall just doesn’t have the buy-in as it should/could.

I know this is within the basketball forum, but I wasn’t trying to tie it into basketball (or football, for that matter, despite the bowl mention). I kind of went OT.

But to your final point - no, I don’t necessarily think hockey’s success has been “robbing” basketball of theirs.

Fair enough, which is why I wanted to make the point that I was not attacking you personally.
04-21-2022 08:02 PM
ess Offline
1st String

How to get players.

The market

Receipt

What is the new AD's plan with respect to NIL for/at WMU?

Anyone?
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2022 03:57 PM by ess.)
04-23-2022 03:47 PM
okgc Offline
Heisman

Current NIL is pure craziness
04-23-2022 05:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.