Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Would Notre Dame consider signing with E$PN??
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
Would Notre Dame consider signing with E$PN??
I believe that it is common knowledge that Notre Dame will permanently be a football independent. However, would Notre Dame consider ditching NBC for E$PN, and keep everything else the same?? E$PN did do a similar one team deal with Texas.
04-11-2022 04:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PeteTheChop Online
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
RE: Would Notre Dame consider signing with E$PN??
(04-11-2022 04:06 PM)DawgNBama Wrote:  I believe that it is common knowledge that Notre Dame will permanently be a football independent.

Permanently is a quite a long time.
04-11-2022 05:51 PM
Wahoowa84 Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa
If ND and ESPN work it out, it would help with ACCN content.
04-11-2022 06:39 PM
domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
I do not think we will remain indy forever. But I would like to see us on CBS or Fox. With pro-ND announcers. No more USC, BC, Purdue, Michigan people.
04-11-2022 07:08 PM
Advertisement

Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
(04-11-2022 07:08 PM)domer1978 Wrote:  I do not think we will remain indy forever. But I would like to see us on CBS or Fox. With pro-ND announcers. No more USC, BC, Purdue, Michigan people.

At last! A ND fan that realizes that the days of independence being financially feasible are numbered.
04-13-2022 02:46 PM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(04-13-2022 02:46 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  
(04-11-2022 07:08 PM)domer1978 Wrote:  I do not think we will remain indy forever. But I would like to see us on CBS or Fox. With pro-ND announcers. No more USC, BC, Purdue, Michigan people.

At last! A ND fan that realizes that the days of independence being financially feasible are numbered.

But he still wants. It's going to be a long time before the "me" gets bred out of Notre Dame and it's fans.
04-13-2022 03:00 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame

(04-13-2022 03:00 PM)XLance Wrote:  

But he still wants. It's going to be a long time before the "me" gets bred out of Notre Dame and it's fans.

Lol, I was unaware that North Carolina and its fans were like Mother Theresa and were completely selfless about everything they do.

It had escaped me all these decades that every decision it ever makes is based solely upon how it will help others, not the Tar Heels.

I learn something new every day.

Actually, I think the difference between other fans and ND fans is that the former looks at "college football" as regional "conference brethren" competing for division and conference titles while ND fans look at "college football" as sort of a Harlem Globetrotters exhibition tour, with ND playing in NFL stadiums, playing all over the country, playing "Shamrock Series" home games in different cities and playing in places like Las Vegas, Lambeau Field, Soldier Field, Yankee Stadium and Dublin, Ireland.

Again, that results from the unique history of ND football having to barnstorm all over the country as an independent all those years ago. History matters.

ND and its fans are square pegs that others insist need to be pounded into the round holes of football conference membership.

Our view of "college football" is much different than your view of it. Our "perfect world" of college football is very much different than yours.

Having the freedom and ability to play in those places and play varied and different opponents in those venues is more important and interesting to many ND fans than competing for a Coastal Division or an ACC title.

ND fans want those types of games in interesting venues and wants to make the playoffs. Playing a conference schedule and trying to win a division title? Not so much. Not all that interesting to most ND fans.

ND fans found the 2020 season to be boring and a bit stifling playing 9 schools from the same conference/area, playing home/away at on campus stadiums only, despite going 9-0 in the ACC regular season and playing in the ACC title game.

It was much better than no season at all but it ironically reinforced the desire among ND fans to remain a football independent for as long as possible.
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2022 04:35 PM by TerryD.)
04-13-2022 03:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PeteTheChop Online

(04-13-2022 03:40 PM)TerryD Wrote:  I think the difference between other fans and ND fans is that the former looks at college football as regional "conference brethren" competing for division and conference titles while ND fans look at college football as sort of a Harlem Globetrotters exhibition tour, with ND playing in NFL stadiums, playing all over the country, playing "Shamrock Series" home games in different cities and playing in places like Las Vegas, Lambeau Field, Soldier Field, Yankee Stadium and Dublin, Ireland.

Again, that results from the unique history of ND football having to barnstorm all over the country as an independent all those years ago. History matters.

Our view of "college football" is much different than your view of it. Our "perfect world" of college football is very much different than yours.

Having the freedom and ability to play in those places and play varied and different opponents in those venues is more important and interesting to many ND fans than competing for a Coastal Division or an ACC title.

ND fans want those games in interesting venues and wants to make the playoffs. Playing a conference schedule and trying to win a division title? Not so much. Not all that interesting to most ND fans.

ND fans found the 2020 season to be boring and a bit stifling playing 9 schools from the same conference/area, playing home/away at on campus stadiums only, despite going 9-0 in the ACC regular season and playing in the ACC title game.

Any idea why ND chose to join the Big East beginning in 1995 after almost 100 years as a basketball independent?

Any chance — nearly 30 seasons of stifling conference membership later — that the Irish go back to their roots?
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2022 04:36 PM by PeteTheChop.)
04-13-2022 04:34 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame

(04-13-2022 04:34 PM)PeteTheChop Wrote:  
(04-13-2022 03:40 PM)TerryD Wrote:  I think the difference between other fans and ND fans is that the former looks at college football as regional "conference brethren" competing for division and conference titles while ND fans look at college football as sort of a Harlem Globetrotters exhibition tour, with ND playing in NFL stadiums, playing all over the country, playing "Shamrock Series" home games in different cities and playing in places like Las Vegas, Lambeau Field, Soldier Field, Yankee Stadium and Dublin, Ireland.

ND fans want those games in interesting venues and wants to make the playoffs. Playing a conference schedule and trying to win a division title? Not so much. Not all that interesting to most ND fans.

Any idea why ND chose to join the Big East beginning in 1995 after almost 100 years as a basketball independent?

Any chance — nearly 30 seasons of stifling conference membership later — that the Irish go back to their roots?

Because not being in a basketball conference was hurting recruiting and making scheduling very difficult.

Nah, the best of both worlds is the best overall. Indy in football and in a conference for minor sports.

(You have to understand that basketball is overall not that important to ND fans. It is something to follow between the end of football season and the beginning of spring practice. Also, many ND football fans are fans of other basketball programs. Its apples and oranges compared to football)
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2022 04:49 PM by TerryD.)
04-13-2022 04:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PeteTheChop Online

(04-13-2022 04:49 PM)TerryD Wrote:  You have to understand that basketball is overall not that important to ND fans ...

I'll match your "not that important" and raise you one.

Miami dropped basketball 1971 because the university adminstration said it couldn't find a suitable place to play.

The fan base and alumni were so upset that the program was revived ... 14 years later
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2022 05:26 PM by PeteTheChop.)
04-13-2022 05:15 PM
Advertisement

domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos

Of course I want independence. I just see massive changes that will happen that will force our hand.
04-13-2022 06:39 PM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(04-13-2022 06:39 PM)domer1978 Wrote:  

Of course I want independence. I just see massive changes that will happen that will force our hand.

For sake of argument, I will play along, although I seriously doubt that anything could challenge ND's independence, but as I said before, domer1978, , I will play along. What are the massive changes that will force ND's hand??
04-13-2022 11:56 PM
GTFletch Offline
All American

I Root For: Georgia Tech
(04-11-2022 04:06 PM)DawgNBama Wrote:  I believe that it is common knowledge that Notre Dame will permanently be a football independent. However, would Notre Dame consider ditching NBC for E$PN, and keep everything else the same?? E$PN did do a similar one team deal with Texas.

Yes, if the money is right! However do not be surprised to see CBS offer that 55M that they use to give SEC for game of the week and try and pluck ND off of NBC.
06-28-2022 07:06 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.