Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How do you all feel about Naming Rights?
Bookmark and Share
HTOWN_HERD Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Marshall
How do you all feel about Naming Rights?
I would like to see Spears bid out the naming rights to our stadium. There could be some much needed revenue there, and we could still call the playing surface Edwards field.

I've always hated the nickname "The Joan". And no, not because it's a woman's name. Imo, it just sounds kind of stupid compared to App State and Southern Miss's "The Rock" among some of the others.

Thoughts?
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2022 02:45 PM by HTOWN_HERD.)
04-08-2022 02:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Surbadger Offline
1st String

RE: How do you all feel about Naming Rights?
I would prefer to keep it. It's a unique name and I've never really liked college stadiums getting corporate names.

That being said, if a company came in and paid for a $10mill+ renovation, I could change my mind pretty quickly. I honestly really like the nicknames for all our facilities. The Joan, The Cam, The Vet are all really cool IMHO
04-08-2022 03:07 PM
MarshallHerdFanz Offline
1st String

Nope I’ll always call it The Joan. The Joan essentially named after naming rights. They donated a lot of money to the school. Letting the basketball arena or new baseball have naming rights would be fine but DO NOT change the Joan. I’ll still call it the Joan if he were to do it tho
04-08-2022 03:24 PM
Advertisement

HTOWN_HERD Offline
Special Teams

(04-08-2022 03:24 PM)MarshallHerdFanz Wrote:  Nope I’ll always call it The Joan. The Joan essentially named after naming rights. They donated a lot of money to the school. Letting the basketball arena or new baseball have naming rights would be fine but DO NOT change the Joan. I’ll still call it the Joan if he were to do it tho

That's true. Something to the tune of $65 million to my understanding. There is a little more motive to it for me. This is really going to sound silly if you aren't a superstitious person, but ever since the name changed in 2003 there has been a stark difference in records.

After name change
Wins:129
Losses: 107

Before name change
Wins: 138
Losses: 29

I try to tell remind myself that prior to 2003 we have a run of Jim Donnan, Bob Pruett, Chad Pennington, Randy Moss, and Byron Leftwich. A bad coaching hire really set us back after Pruetts quick retirement.
04-08-2022 03:53 PM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
(04-08-2022 03:53 PM)HTOWN_HERD Wrote:  
(04-08-2022 03:24 PM)MarshallHerdFanz Wrote:  Nope I’ll always call it The Joan. The Joan essentially named after naming rights. They donated a lot of money to the school. Letting the basketball arena or new baseball have naming rights would be fine but DO NOT change the Joan. I’ll still call it the Joan if he were to do it tho

That's true. Something to the tune of $65 million to my understanding. There is a little more motive to it for me. This is really going to sound silly if you aren't a superstitious person, but ever since the name changed in 2003 there has been a stark difference in records.

After name change

Before name change

I try to tell remind myself that prior to 2003 we have a run of Jim Donnan, Bob Pruett, Chad Pennington, Randy Moss, and Byron Leftwich. A bad coaching hire really set us back after Pruetts quick retirement.

Not to mention scholarship reductions and NCaa sanctions while moving into a MUCH tougher conference. Nick Saban couldn't have won from 2005-2009.
04-08-2022 08:32 PM
Advertisement

MUther Offline
Heisman

CrappiesCrappies
(04-08-2022 08:32 PM)THUNDERStruck73 Wrote:  

After name change

Before name change

Not to mention scholarship reductions and NCaa sanctions while moving into a MUCH tougher conference. Nick Saban couldn't have won from 2005-2009.

I'd take that bet. Highly experienced motivational coach vs brand new spent all his time in a tanning bed coach. Snyder did win games. Saban would have doubled those wins and gotten better recruits more, fan engagement, kept the streak going, we never would have even been saddled with the Doc years. Whole different history if Saban takes over for Pruett or if Pruett stayed. I mean sanctions started in 2002 and Pruett was still winning in 2004.
04-09-2022 07:47 AM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
(04-09-2022 07:47 AM)MUther Wrote:  
(04-08-2022 08:32 PM)THUNDERStruck73 Wrote:  

After name change

Before name change

I'd take that bet. Highly experienced motivational coach vs brand new spent all his time in a tanning bed coach. Snyder did win games. Saban would have doubled those wins and gotten better recruits more, fan engagement, kept the streak going, we never would have even been saddled with the Doc years. Whole different history if Saban takes over for Pruett or if Pruett stayed. I mean sanctions started in 2002 and Pruett was still winning in 2004.

Lol. Okay, I was being a tad facetious. Yes, we were winning in 2003 and 04, but there was a clear drop off. Missed a bowl in 03 and got pounded in 04.

But I do agree with you. Snyder should not have been hired just because he was a Marshall guy.
04-09-2022 12:57 PM
Advertisement

CoachMaclid Offline
All American

I have never called it anything but Marshall Stadium. I don't believe fans are compelled to call it by naming rights name.

And the Edwards did already pay for the naming rights in a manner of speaking.
04-09-2022 04:31 PM
GreenBison Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall | SBC
(04-08-2022 02:44 PM)HTOWN_HERD Wrote:  I would like to see Spears bid out the naming rights to our stadium. There could be some much needed revenue there, and we could still call the playing surface Edwards field.

I've always hated the nickname "The Joan". And no, not because it's a woman's name. Imo, it just sounds kind of stupid compared to App State and Southern Miss's "The Rock" among some of the others.

Thoughts?

I'm fine with the current name. If we bid out the naming right we can end up with" Big Sandy Furniture Stadium" 03-puke

Too risky from a marketing standpoint. People like names to stay the way they've always been. Just look at the HUNTINGTON CIVIC CENTER (sorry, but I refuse to use the bought name). They've had like 3 or 4 different names in the past 20 years.
04-11-2022 07:16 AM
Surbadger Offline
1st String

(04-11-2022 07:16 AM)GreenBison Wrote:  
(04-08-2022 02:44 PM)HTOWN_HERD Wrote:  I would like to see Spears bid out the naming rights to our stadium. There could be some much needed revenue there, and we could still call the playing surface Edwards field.

Thoughts?

I'm fine with the current name. If we bid out the naming right we can end up with" Big Sandy Furniture Stadium" 03-puke

Too risky from a marketing standpoint. People like names to stay the way they've always been. Just look at the HUNTINGTON CIVIC CENTER (sorry, but I refuse to use the bought name). They've had like 3 or 4 different names in the past 20 years.

Just take the Miami Dolphins' Hard Rock Stadium for example. It has gone by these names in it's history.

Joe Robbie Stadium
Pro Player Park
Pro Player Stadium
Dolphins Stadium
Dolphin Stadium
Land Shark Stadium
Sun Life Stadium
Hard Rock Stadium
04-11-2022 08:04 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.