Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Andy Staples recommends SBC Commish Keith Gill to Big 12
Bookmark and Share
Steel Dragon Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UAB
Shy Andy Staples recommends SBC Commish Keith Gill to Big 12
I was listening to ESPNU radio on SiriusXM. Andy Staples he recommended that the commissioner of the Sun Belt Keith Gill would be an excellent choice for the big 12 commissioner. The job is done and the sun belt is amazing
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2022 05:53 AM by Steel Dragon.)
04-07-2022 09:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

sksmith1026 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: SOUTHERN MISS
RE: Andy Staples recommends SBC Commish Kevin Gill to Big 12
Andy Staples needs to keep his mouth shut!
However I never want to hold someone back from moving up or bettering their self.
BTW Who is Andy Staples asking for a friend.
04-07-2022 09:29 PM
APPdiesel Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
Andy Staples recommends SBC Commish Kevin Gill to Big 12
First time I’ve ever heard someone actively stan on behalf of Keith Gill. he was a ghost until about 2021.
04-07-2022 09:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

I Root For: Southern Miss
They can have Kevin Gill as long as we can keep Keith.
04-07-2022 10:03 PM
TealNation Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal Carolina
(04-07-2022 10:03 PM)HarborPointe Wrote:  They can have Kevin Gill as long as we can keep Keith.
Must be his brother. Sleeper candidate indeed.
04-07-2022 10:29 PM
EigenEagle Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
We'll be fine if Gill leaves. People act like we won our expansion with Gill beating Judy McCleod in a game of tiddleywinks. We're where we are because CUSA presidents were stupid in 2012 and 2013 and built their league around marketz, not because of some kind of magic Gill did.

BTW, the people that would argue Gill was such a good hire for basketball, you could argue that that the league has been going in the wrong direction in that sport since we had 2 straight seasons with an NCAA tournament win but you won't see me blaming Gill for that.
04-07-2022 10:43 PM
Advertisement

HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

I Root For: Southern Miss
(04-07-2022 10:43 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  We'll be fine if Gill leaves. People act like we won our expansion with Gill beating Judy McCleod in a game of tiddleywinks. We're where we are because CUSA presidents were stupid in 2012 and 2013 and built their league around marketz, not because of some kind of magic Gill did.

BTW, the people that would argue Gill was such a good hire for basketball, you could argue that that the league has been going in the wrong direction in that sport since we had 2 straight seasons with an NCAA tournament win but you won't see me blaming Gill for that.

The most important things a conference commissioner does is assemble a vision and get everybody pulling in the same direction toward it. Is success or failure entirely on them? No, but I have serious doubts that you could’ve given CUSA Gill in 2015 and the SBC McLeod in 2019 and still have had things end up where we are today.
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2022 11:09 PM by HarborPointe.)
04-07-2022 11:08 PM
Troy_Fan_15 Offline
Sun Belt Apologist

I Root For: Troy Trojans
Actually if Gill did go to the Big XII, which I imagine he won’t, then that’d be a big win in the sense it even more legitimizes how the SBC has moved up the ladder.
04-07-2022 11:52 PM
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

RE: Andy Staples recommends SBC Commish Keith Gill to Big 12
I think a lot of App fans would agree with me that we were VERY disappointed in 2019 when we were the first ever Sun Belt team to contend late in the season for a NY6 bowl berth, and we hardly heard a peep out of him. No promotion. No making the case for what was at the time the decided flagship program of the conference. Then, the very next year, he was all over the place promoting Coastal and Louisiana, and then once again last year with the Cajuns. I still don't completely understand it. I suppose it can be chalked up in large part to the fact he was brand new to the job and was getting a feel for his own style in how to lead.

That said,, I agree that Gill had a better deck of cards than McLeod did, but he completely outmaneuvered her. Not saying he was a magician, but his leadership was far better. He seems very approachable and accessible. He goes to podcasts and media Big and small to get the word out. I like him. After the first year or year and a half of, as Diesel might say, invisibility, I'd say he has come into his own.

And I do appreciate that he did go out of his way to promote Coastal and Louisiana. That was absolutely the right thing to do. I just wish he would have done that with App.

I can see why he might make a good Big 12 commish candidate. He's young, so he wouldn't be retiring quickly. He's proven a good bit.
04-08-2022 06:23 AM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

That's a pretty big risk by the Big12 who will be fighting to remain in the P5 club. Good luck to Gill he's got a lot to learn though if he takes that role. Aresco would make more sense experience wise, then Gill backfills in the AAC.
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2022 07:25 AM by Saint3333.)
04-08-2022 07:23 AM
OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
I wondered how long it would take for Gill's name to come up. This recent drama has reflected well on him.
04-08-2022 07:28 AM
Advertisement

space orange Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UCF
(04-08-2022 07:23 AM)Saint3333 Wrote:  That's a pretty big risk by the Big12 who will be fighting to remain in the P5 club. Good luck to Gill he's got a lot to learn though if he takes that role. Aresco would make more sense experience wise, then Gill backfills in the AAC.

Aresco has the experience and connections that would work as the Big 12 commissioner. But he's 72, 2 years older than Bowlsby. They would probably want someone who can provide stability for around 10 years if possible.
04-08-2022 09:32 AM
kevinwmsn Offline
1st String

I Root For: South Alabama
Gill continued to build upon the success of Karl Benson of adding App State, Georgia Southern, and Coastal Carolina to the conference. I think Gill added more solid members to continue to build of perception of the conference as everyone else left CUSA. The Big 12 will have to fight to still be considered a P5 conference once Texas and Oklahoma move to SEC.
04-08-2022 09:49 AM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
Could we keep his other brother Johnny, or does he not rub you the right way?
04-08-2022 11:08 AM
JTApps1 Online
1st String

Benson and the school Presidents had the vision in place prior to Gill arriving. It's hard to say whether or not the expansion would be any different without Gill in charge. He has at least been visible the past year or two after a non-existent start to his career.
04-08-2022 01:13 PM
bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison!!
Seems to be running a very tight ship now, super consistent messaging, great branding, has made strides with ESPN, presents well, and he shows up in person for all the right events through this big change - let's see that splash on July 1 as well... can't imagine SBC keeps him for decades, but hope he won't go soon!
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2022 01:25 PM by bcp_jmu.)
04-08-2022 01:24 PM
Advertisement

THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
Andy Staples needs to shut his whorish mouth! JUDY to the Big XII. We will be assured to move up the pecking order in a matter of 2 or 3 years!!!
04-08-2022 09:12 PM
GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
(04-08-2022 09:12 PM)THUNDERStruck73 Wrote:  Andy Staples needs to shut his whorish mouth! JUDY to the Big XII. We will be assured to move up the pecking order in a matter of 2 or 3 years!!!

02-13-banana02-13-banana02-13-banana

...rumor is Beep Beep Jeep Judy will be the new FBS Playoff Committee Chairperson... 04-jawdrop03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao
04-09-2022 12:55 AM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-09-2022 12:55 AM)GreenFreakUAB Wrote:  
(04-08-2022 09:12 PM)THUNDERStruck73 Wrote:  Andy Staples needs to shut his whorish mouth! JUDY to the Big XII. We will be assured to move up the pecking order in a matter of 2 or 3 years!!!

02-13-banana02-13-banana02-13-banana

...rumor is Beep Beep Jeep Judy will be the new FBS Playoff Committee Chairperson... 04-jawdrop03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

If there were ever a time to call out sexism this appears to be it.
04-09-2022 06:30 AM
FrankyP Offline
All American

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns
(04-07-2022 11:08 PM)HarborPointe Wrote:  
(04-07-2022 10:43 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  We'll be fine if Gill leaves. People act like we won our expansion with Gill beating Judy McCleod in a game of tiddleywinks. We're where we are because CUSA presidents were stupid in 2012 and 2013 and built their league around marketz, not because of some kind of magic Gill did.

The most important things a conference commissioner does is assemble a vision and get everybody pulling in the same direction toward it. Is success or failure entirely on them? No, but I have serious doubts that you could’ve given CUSA Gill in 2015 and the SBC McLeod in 2019 and still have had things end up where we are today.

I can definitely see them having an interest in Gill. And if that should happen, I would think that Maggard from UL, or the App St AD would be highly considered to replace him. I think it was those 2 AD’s that really helped drive the ‘let’s stay together and grow the SBC’ plan that got us where we are today.
04-09-2022 06:38 AM

User(s) browsing this thread:

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.