Open TigerLinks

Led Zeppelin, Memphis Minnie, and the levee that broke
Bookmark and Share
Hernando Hills Tiger Offline
High score: 819 (credit)

I Root For: USA

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
Led Zeppelin, Memphis Minnie, and the levee that broke
How Led Zeppelin turned an obscure 1929 recording from Memphis Minnie into an epic rock monolith

The composer credits for When The Levee Breaks – the closing track on Led Zeppelin’s multi-platinum fourth album (the rune-y one with Stairway To Heaven on) – read, ‘Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones, John Bonham & Memphis Minnie’.

The musical and cultural bloodline of Louisiana-born, Delta-raised Lizzie Douglas (1897–1973), better known to history as Memphis Minnie, runs through the veins of every woman who’s ever picked up a guitar and rocked the blues.

A powerhouse singer, guitarist and songwriter whose raunch, skill and charisma challenged the male monopoly of down-home guitar blues, she was sufficiently formidable to best the majestic Big Bill Broonzy himself in blues contests held on his own Chicago turf. Bukka White rated her as “about the best thing goin’ in the woman line”.

It’s therefore bitterly ironic that the song with which this pioneer is most frequently associated in the rock era is one she neither sang nor wrote.

The original dates back to 1929, and Minnie’s first-ever recording session. She was already a veteran of almost two decades of performing in jukes, bars and tent shows, with jug bands and on street corners, when she and her partner, Kansas Joe McCoy – a fellow singer/songwriter/guitarist, eight years her junior, with whom she’d hooked up a few years earlier – were talent-spotted by a Columbia Records scout, and the duo were whisked off to New York to record.

From that session came Minnie’s first classic, Bumble Bee. It was a huge hit, upon which Muddy Waters based his Honey Bee, just as, a little later on, Minnie’s If You See My Rooster generated a song credited to Willie Dixon and associated with Howlin’ Wolf and the Rolling Stones.

The NY session also reaped McCoy’s composition, When The Levee Breaks, sung by him and garnished with Minnie’s deft, sparkling lead guitar. It was credited to ‘Joe & Minnie McCoy’, though they didn’t marry until the following year.

The South is prone to flooding – as, tragically, we saw just in 2005 – and, not surprisingly, there’s been a whole raft of blues songs written on the subject over the years, ranging from Charley Patton’s High Water Everywhere and Bessie Smith’s Backwater Blues to John Lee Hooker’s Tupelo and Randy Newman’s Louisiana 1927.

Lyrically, at least, the original When The Levee Breaks is a proud part of that canon, but the drama of the lyric and the subject matter is somewhat undercut by the musical setting: Joe McCoy’s rhythm guitar is almost-folky mid-tempo ragtime, while Minnie’s intricate, dancing lead tempers the deceptive jauntiness with melancholy minor-scale inflections. McCoy’s lead vocal is plain, almost matter-of-fact.

https://www.loudersound.com/features/led...fPU3izZa-0
03-30-2022 04:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
RE: Led Zeppelin, Memphis Minnie, and the levee that broke

03-30-2022 05:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!

03-30-2022 05:20 PM
Advertisement

Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Someone here used to post a photo of Robert Plant wearing a Memphis Tigers shirt. I'd love to get a copy of that.
03-31-2022 10:24 AM
Unionman76 Offline
Heisman

(03-31-2022 10:24 AM)Tiger87 Wrote:  Someone here used to post a photo of Robert Plant wearing a Memphis Tigers shirt. I'd love to get a copy of that.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/26247610307227690/
03-31-2022 10:37 AM
k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(03-31-2022 10:37 AM)Unionman76 Wrote:  
(03-31-2022 10:24 AM)Tiger87 Wrote:  Someone here used to post a photo of Robert Plant wearing a Memphis Tigers shirt. I'd love to get a copy of that.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/26247610307227690/

bad a$$
03-31-2022 11:20 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.