Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Eastern Michigan 2022 Men's Basketball Verbal Commits
Bookmark and Share
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
Eastern Michigan 2022 Men's Basketball Verbal Commits
1. Jalin Billingsley 6'8 225 transfer from Georgetown. As a freshman he played in 30 games averaged 2.1 pts and 1.8 rebounds.
2. Tyson Acuff 6'4 190 transfer from Duquesne Played two seasons and in 48 games (30 last year) averaged 5.0 ppg overall and 5.7 ppg last year
3. Orlando Lovejoy 6'2 Romulus Summit
4. Legend Geeter 6'7 Providence Transfer
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2022 12:13 PM by emu79.)
03-23-2022 11:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
RE: Eastern Michigan 2022 Men's Basketball Verbal Commits
Unless a very solid player signs with us at the next signing period, I wonder if Stan doesn’t sign anyone hoping to nab players in the transfer portal who may not find a P5 spot.
03-30-2022 11:25 AM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

(03-30-2022 11:25 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  Unless a very solid player signs with us at the next signing period, I wonder if Stan doesn’t sign anyone hoping to nab players in the transfer portal who may not find a P5 spot.
He needs players to fill the roster but hopefully he can avoid taking anyone that not be able to help the team. No reaches.

When does the signing period start?
03-30-2022 02:47 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(03-30-2022 11:25 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  Unless a very solid player signs with us at the next signing period, I wonder if Stan doesn’t sign anyone hoping to nab players in the transfer portal who may not find a P5 spot.

Luckey, think you have the process reversed.

Teams are going full bore trying to get quality game-ready transfers. Then the remaining scholarships in April will go to H.S. and JUCO recruits.

I saw a Twitter quote from a h.s. athlete saying all of these transfers are killing it for the high school athletes.

Who wants to wait two or three years for a h.s. player to hit his peak when one might find one already ready to be a key performer for your team.

In the 'olden days' most prime recruits signed in November. Then some late qualifier or Plan B recruits and a few JUCOs signed in April. A team might hold a scholarship for a transfer or a JUCO who qualified late. Now, prime high school recruits still sign in November but the spring signing period has flipped and is dominated by transfers.

I think ONE reason the transfers are so big is the BONUS (Covid) year. Now players are transferring with more years of eligibility. In the olden days, you might get a player with two or only one year of eligibility. An EMU coach told me: Take a perimeter player with two years (after sitting out one) but a big man with one year (after sitting out one). Wouldn't take a SG, sit one, play one.
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2022 04:44 PM by emu steve.)
03-30-2022 04:32 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-30-2022 02:47 PM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  
He needs players to fill the roster but hopefully he can avoid taking anyone that not be able to help the team. No reaches.

When does the signing period start?

April 13 and lasts for about a month.
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2022 06:17 PM by emu79.)
03-30-2022 06:17 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

Somehow picking through the leftovers doesn't seem like a winning recruiting strategy.
03-30-2022 06:18 PM
Advertisement

Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

(03-30-2022 06:18 PM)emu79 Wrote:  

Somehow picking through the leftovers doesn't seem like a winning recruiting strategy.

‘79 depends if you’re picking from a money tree with dollar bills or $100 dollar bills. My point is that’s it’s wise to leave a few scholarships in your pocket at the end of the recruiting cycle.
03-30-2022 09:09 PM
emussuperfan Offline
Heisman

That's how we got Earl.07-coffee3
03-31-2022 07:31 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-31-2022 07:31 AM)emussuperfan Wrote:  

Those come once in a blue moon.
03-31-2022 07:55 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

The MAC basketball
Rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic
03-31-2022 07:56 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(03-31-2022 07:31 AM)emussuperfan Wrote:  

I've read the story many times of how we got Earl.

The only schools who were serious about Earl were EMU and Kent. I remember the (gist) quote from Ben Braun, "one of us is going to get a player or be the laughing stock."

Looks like both were right. EMU got Earl. Had great success and Gary Waters got noticed and hired by Kent.

So the story came together where in the 90s both EMU and Kent won.
03-31-2022 08:52 AM
Advertisement

Miggy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Eastern Michigan and Tem
I attended a NJ County v. County All-star game and struck up a conversation with a player who was going to play in the game. I was there to watch another player that I have worked with and recommended to EMU. He scored 22-points in 18 minutes and was named MVP of the game.

In warm-ups, the other player I had spoken to swished every jumper he took. Playing for the opposing all-star team, he scored 13-points in 16 minutes, and shot 5-5 from the field, including making 3-three’s. One rarely see’s such a pure shooter. He would have been named MVP but for his teaming losing the game.

He’s an under the radar 6”1” senior HS player from a small school. Is terrific at shooting off his dribble and creating separation from his opponent. He’s quick and has some hops. He shot 55 percent on all fga’s and 43 percent on three’s. He also averaged 7-rebounds per game, 2 steals per game, and one block (mostly at the rim) per game. Although a shooter, a highlight video shows him making some great passes. Seems like a natural PG.

His outstanding skill-set and high bb IQ should allow him to adjust playing against far better college competition. I’m now working with him to improve his game.

His slight build (similar to Noah) and having played against lesser HS completion may put college scouts off. He needs to get stronger. I recommended him to EMU. He would be a great addition and could play immediately.

Regardless of whether EMU offers him a scholarship, I’m looking forward to following his bb career.

Hoping he gets to work out with Noah in NJ so Noah can see his skill-set. Noah needs to work on scoring more at the hoop and at the foul-line.
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2022 09:28 PM by Miggy.)
04-04-2022 05:14 AM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

Ok, I am so bored waiting for news on EMU basketball recruits, I ended up commenting on the educational part of the university (thanks for the distraction, Steve.)

Anyway, I think EMU really needs a shooting guard and a small forward to compliment Noah. Don’t need stars but do need them to be solid. Can’t wait to fill this in…hoping to fill these in…

PG 6-2 Noah / 6-3 Luka
SG NEEDED / 6-4 Rice
SF NEEDED / NEEDED
PF 6-6 Golson / NEEDED
C 6-8 Jihad / 6-10 Randle / 6-8 Ballard
04-18-2022 09:00 PM
Miggy Offline
1st String

Randle will be a work in progress. One thing he does exceptionally well is block shoots. Very few players can do that.
04-18-2022 09:34 PM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

(04-18-2022 09:34 PM)Miggy Wrote:  Randle will be a work in progress. One thing he does exceptionally well is block shoots. Very few players can do that.

I would like to see the center position played “by committee” of all three (to borrow a term from Steve). I have a feeling they will foul a lot- especially how undersized they are. But might be an upgrade given how much more quick/athletic they are. Jihad would need to work on his 3 pointer and hope you are right about Randle’s shot blocking.
04-18-2022 10:53 PM
Miggy Offline
1st String

(04-18-2022 10:53 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  
(04-18-2022 09:34 PM)Miggy Wrote:  Randle will be a work in progress. One thing he does exceptionally well is block shoots. Very few players can do that.

I would like to see the center position played “by committee” of all three (to borrow a term from Steve). I have a feeling they will foul a lot- especially how undersized they are. But might be an upgrade given how much more quick/athletic they are. Jihad would need to work on his 3 pointer and hope you are right about Randle’s shot blocking.

With Nije. Okongo, N.Scott, and Binelli having departed, we’ll not know who should play till EMU signs more and hopefully better bigs. Njie was EMU’s best interior defender.

Randle, Jihad and Ballard will be in the mix to play inside. Agree that Jihad should continue to develop his three-point shot, and improves his court awareness on defense.

Hopefully, they and the new bigs won’t stray far from the hoop, only to be unable to be unable to retreat in time to defend the hoop. Also don’t want to inside defenders commit as high a foul rate as the departed players did last season. N. Scott was EMU’s only interior defender who didn’t commit excessively fouls.

Regardless of the size and limitations of EMU’s inside defenders, they need to be taught to stay between their man and the hoop, and force their opponent take jump-shots without committing dumb touch shooting fouls.

And when their opponent’s attempt to go around them, they must give ground and not let their opponent get an uncontested shot at the rim as often occurred last season.

Even though extremely thin, Randle was among the nation’s best shot-blockers. Just hope he does so without knocking the ball out of bounds.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2022 05:11 AM by Miggy.)
04-19-2022 04:58 AM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

MyBB EMU MBB Off-Season Thoughts
I think this thread is mistitled... Should be: EMU MBB Off Season Thoughts?

I haven't seen a verbal listed here.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2022 06:46 AM by emu steve.)
04-19-2022 06:45 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-19-2022 05:26 AM)Miggy Wrote:  An update on EMU former players Monty Scott and D.Spottsville who are both playing in Puerta Rico.

In his first game, Scott played 27 minutes and took but four shots. He played 18 minutes in his second game and scored 12-points on 66.7 percent (6-9) shooting on two’s. Thru two games, Scott is shooting 63 percent (7-11) on two’s. Scott had a terrific training camp and Is playing with intensity. After the game, his HC encouraged him to be more aggressive and to shoot more going forward.

He played better than two other players (Jordan Tucker and Tremont Waters). Both had previously been drafted in the first round of the NBA draft.

In three games, Spottsville has averaged 7 minutes per game, and has yet to take a field goal attempt. He’s shot 1-2 at the foul-line.

And yet with all that talent we didn't make the MAC tourney. Murphy had some talented individuals but didn't make the tourney. Talented individuals who don't play team ball remain talented individuals but necessarily winners. Good luck to Monty and Spotts on their professional pursuits.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2022 07:09 AM by emu79.)
04-19-2022 06:48 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-19-2022 06:45 AM)emu steve Wrote:  I think this thread is mistitled... Should be: EMU MBB Off Season Thoughts?

I haven't seen a verbal listed here.

Yeah it's been hijacked. There's no verbal listed because no one has heard of one. Yet. Patience.
04-19-2022 06:49 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-19-2022 07:45 AM)Miggy Wrote:  
(04-19-2022 06:48 AM)emu79 Wrote:  
(04-19-2022 05:26 AM)Miggy Wrote:  An update on EMU former players Monty Scott and D.Spottsville who are both playing in Puerta Rico.

In his first game, Scott played 27 minutes and took but four shots. He played 18 minutes in his second game and scored 12-points on 66.7 percent (6-9) shooting on two’s. Thru two games, Scott is shooting 63 percent (7-11) on two’s. Scott had a terrific training camp and Is playing with intensity. After the game, his HC encouraged him to be more aggressive and to shoot more going forward.

He played better than two other players (Jordan Tucker and Tremont Waters). Both had previously been drafted in the first round of the NBA draft.

In three games, Spottsville has averaged 7 minutes per game, and has yet to take a field goal attempt. He’s shot 1-2 at the foul-line.

And yet with all that talent we didn't make the MAC tourney. Murphy had some talented individuals but didn't make the tourney. Talented individuals who don't play team ball remain talented individuals but necessarily winners. Good luck to Monty and Spotts on their professional pursuits.

Spottsville had his best season.

EMU’s woes were related to Covid, injuries, lack of good front court players, Golson not playing SF, Scott not shooting enough, Rice not playing more, McBride shooting but 20 percent on three’s, not stopping opponents three-ball. Conference foes shooting 51.5 percent on two’s and 37. 3 percent on three’s, doomed EMU’s MAC tournament hopes.

In short we weren't a good team overall.
04-19-2022 08:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.