Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Monday Musings - Sweet 16 and Related/Unrelated Topics
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Online
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
Monday Musings - Sweet 16 and Related/Unrelated Topics
St Peters must have been guided by a higher spirit, the supernatural. They wouldn't be the best or 2nd or maybe 3rd best team of the MAC and are now a Sweet 16 team.

And yes, there are NO perfect brackets after the round of 32. If anyone had St. Peters in the Sweet 16 round, PM me your picks for the Sweet 16 round. Thanks!!

Read that 3 MSU players need to decide to come back for their super senior years, Gabe Brown, Marcus Bingham, and Bob W's great hope, Joey Hauser.

Great photos of Tom Izzo and Coach K before the game. Izzo had that look in his eye, "regardless of the outcome today, I will still have a job." Coach K coached like a man who had it all on the line. Izzo will have many returnees including Joey Hauser... It was fun watching Hauser and Banchero late in the game. One looked like a top of the lottery pick. Izzo did not look pleased with the other.

A little thought for those who like to follow both NBA and college ball. Read that probably 11 of the top 12 players who will be selected in the NBA draft were in the NCAA tourney. The only one not was a G Leaguer with the Ignite.

No foreign players supposedly in the lottery.

More thoughts later.

It is later. We posted about the great increase in number of D-I MBB schools over the last 1/4 century. Well as far as NBA draft picks, there have been tons of foreign players who compete for NBA jobs. So getting a draftee from your school, unless it is a basketball factory, is really special. The Wizards could field an all-International team with Porzingis, Hachimura, Bertrans (traded), Avdija, Echenique, Satoransky, ec.
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2022 05:00 PM by emu steve.)
03-21-2022 04:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU
RE: Monday Musings - Sweet 16 and Related/Unrelated Topics
(03-21-2022 04:47 PM)emu steve Wrote:  St Peters must have been guided by a higher spirit, the supernatural. They wouldn't be the best or 2nd or maybe 3rd best team of the MAC and are now a Sweet 16 team.

And yes, there are NO perfect brackets after the round of 32. If anyone had St. Peters in the Sweet 16 round, PM me your picks for the Sweet 16 round. Thanks!!

Read that 3 MSU players need to decide to come back for their super senior years, Gabe Brown, Marcus Bingham, and Bob W's great hope, Joey Hauser.

Great photos of Tom Izzo and Coach K before the game. Izzo had that look in his eye, "regardless of the outcome today, I will still have a job." Coach K coached like a man who had it all on the line. Izzo will have many returnees including Joey Hauser... It was fun watching Hauser and Banchero late in the game. One looked like a top of the lottery pick. Izzo did not look pleased with the other.

A little thought for those who like to follow both NBA and college ball. Read that probably 11 of the top 12 players who will be selected in the NBA draft were in the NCAA tourney. The only one not was a G Leaguer with the Ignite.

No foreign players supposedly in the lottery.

More thoughts later.

It is later. We posted about the great increase in number of D-I MBB schools over the last 1/4 century. Well as far as NBA draft picks, there have been tons of foreign players who compete for NBA jobs. So getting a draftee from your school, unless it is a basketball factory, is really special. The Wizards could field an all-International team with Porzingis, Hachimura, Bertrans (traded), Avdija, Echenique, Satoransky, ec.

I've been beating on Joey Hauser for far too long, he actually is a very fine role player or a competent backup for a P6 program.

Sans the "Welcher from Iowa", I would be rooting for the kid, he works his ass off!

I suspected, however, when I presented Bob with the $20K bet that Joey would be in the 2021-22 NBA season, he would shut up! Instead, he called it "easy money" and took the bet. Regrettably in Iowa, the term "easy money" means "one's mouth does not require the corresponding responsibility to live up to its statements". Could be an Iowa thing or just a weasel on our board.
03-21-2022 07:53 PM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

UofM to spend 41 Million on new scoreboards. Would be nice to get their used boards :-)

The rich are very rich indeed!
03-21-2022 10:01 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

(03-21-2022 10:01 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  UofM to spend 41 Million on new scoreboards. Would be nice to get their used boards :-)

https://regents.umich.edu/files/meetings...3-IX-7.pdf This is the request made by Warde Manuel, the Donald R. Shepherd Director of Intercollegiate Athletics. Endowed AD? Could EMU do similar, "Scott Weatherbee, Luckeyone, Vice President and Director of Intercollegiate Athletics. Lol.

I have a crazy idea of scoreboards.

I'd like a scoreboard, say w/out video attached to the away side stands so fans sitting on the home side could glance up and see necessary stuff like yard line, yards to go, clock, etc.

Probably easier done for new stadiums than a renovation.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2022 03:31 AM by emu steve.)
03-22-2022 03:23 AM
emu steve Online
Legend

Not a scoreboard but note on new housing at Westview. Old Westview closing this May.

Curious what the design will be like. Now, Westview is very low density. Correct? The plan is to greatly increase the number of housing units.

https://www.emich.edu/residencelife/uppe...stview.php
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2022 03:52 AM by emu steve.)
03-22-2022 03:50 AM
emussuperfan Offline
Heisman

(03-21-2022 10:01 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  UofM to spend 41 Million on new scoreboards. Would be nice to get their used boards :-)

How can they afford it? I'll tell you, almost 90% of all grant and research money goes to them. They are the biggest giver of scholarships in the state. So their alumni can afford to give to athletics. Any time there is a fight in government about higher education funding they will fight for that 90% and the other 10 state schools have to fight over that 10%. They will not fight for higher funding for other schools. The government knows that they only have to meet UofM wants then it's done. They almost refuse to share their athletics funds by playing other state schools and when they do it's barely a break even for those state schools. There is no real advantage to playing UofM in sports. We get more real money from playing out of state. My rant for the day. Now let the attacks begin.07-coffee3
03-22-2022 06:32 AM
Advertisement

emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
(03-22-2022 06:32 AM)emussuperfan Wrote:  

How can they afford it? I'll tell you, almost 90% of all grant and research money goes to them. They are the biggest giver of scholarships in the state. So their alumni can afford to give to athletics. Any time there is a fight in government about higher education funding they will fight for that 90% and the other 10 state schools have to fight over that 10%. They will not fight for higher funding for other schools. The government knows that they only have to meet UofM wants then it's done. They almost refuse to share their athletics funds by playing other state schools and when they do it's barely a break even for those state schools. There is no real advantage to playing UofM in sports. We get more real money from playing out of state. My rant for the day. Now let the attacks begin.07-coffee3

Under Ranger Rick the governor they were talking about privatizing UM. I think that is a good idea to free up funds for the other instate colleges. A large percentage of UM students come from New England and the East Coast and generate large revenues with out of state tuition
03-22-2022 07:38 AM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan
I’m always amazed at how much attention/angst is given to UM on this forum. Sounds like a lot of jealousy, envy, whatever else you want to call it.

I couldn’t care less about them. I’d advise you all to do the same. It only hurts the heart.
03-22-2022 05:18 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(03-22-2022 05:18 PM)holybovine Wrote:  I’m always amazed at how much attention/angst is given to UM on this forum. Sounds like a lot of jealousy, envy, whatever else you want to call it.

I couldn’t care less about them. I’d advise you all to do the same. It only hurts the heart.

Cow, I would agree. They play in a different league and level.

One mile from my domicile, yet the last U-M game I have attended is over 10 years old while I annually renew my EMU season tickets. It's a different market, appealing to another fan and I accept that.
03-22-2022 07:20 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

03-23-2022 04:10 PM
EdifiedVoyage6 Offline
2nd String

We will face San Jose State in 2026 for a 1987 Bowl Rematch

https://sjsuspartans.com/news/2022/3/23/...tball.aspx
03-24-2022 09:42 AM
Advertisement

emu steve Online
Legend

03-24-2022 02:37 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(03-24-2022 02:37 PM)emu steve Wrote:  https://twitter.com/ShepMatt/status/1507...RHORixaZ3Q

Cool stuff! Shep doing the Tigers games and Justin Rose doing our ESPN+ games open some doors for EMU exposure.
03-24-2022 05:10 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

Man, I have forgotten to give St. Peters some love (though they cost me some green last night).

Trivia question: Which Jesuit university was expected to advance to the Elite Eight? Everyone would have picked Gonzaga.

Amazing a very small school of over 3K. Located on 30 acres in Jersey City. By comparison, MSU is over 5,000 acres.* Has a 3K gym which looks like a h.s. gym but otherwise presentable.

https://www.saintpeters.edu/about/facts-stats/

Guess we're all Peacocks. It would be nice if we'd schedule them next year. Don't schedule for their first home game. Doesn't matter if they'll be good, bad or between.

* BTW, decades ago I was a guest student one summer at MSU. I had courses on opposite corners of the campus. 20 minute walk What a comparison. MSU is more like a city than a university. By comparison, I believe UDM is 75 acres so it is 2.5 x St. Peters.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2022 01:28 PM by emu steve.)
03-26-2022 01:18 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

Meanwhile headed south to Memphis.... trouble brewing.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket...violations
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2022 06:33 AM by emu steve.)
03-26-2022 03:27 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

I've always (well, not always) thought that fans 'over think' things. Find relationships where things which just simply happen by chance. Sometimes things happen which are counterintuitive.

Great example, St. Peters (yes, that school) didn't play a game in 4 weeks because of Covid, yes that infectious disease. One might expect that the team would be as rusty as all hell and would take a while to get back into game form. WRONG. They reset and started a big win streak and later went on another big win streak to end the regular season and their conference tourney run.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket.../_/id/2612

One other thing I noticed, the MAAC (that conference) didn't have bottom feeding. Worst conference records were 7 - 13. Every game counted. No nights off.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/standings
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2022 06:34 AM by emu steve.)
03-27-2022 06:33 AM
Advertisement

Miggy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Eastern Michigan and Tem
(03-26-2022 01:18 PM)emu steve Wrote:  Man, I have forgotten to give St. Peters some love (though they cost me some green last night).

Trivia question: Which Jesuit university was expected to advance to the Elite Eight? Everyone would have picked Gonzaga.

Amazing a very small school of over 3K. Located on 30 acres in Jersey City. By comparison, MSU is over 5,000 acres.* Has a 3K gym which looks like a h.s. gym but otherwise presentable.

Guess we're all Peacocks. It would be nice if we'd schedule them next year. Don't schedule for their first home game. Doesn't matter if they'll be good, bad or between.

* BTW, decades ago I was a guest student one summer at MSU. I had courses on opposite corners of the campus. 20 minute walk What a comparison. MSU is more like a city than a university. By comparison, I believe UDM is 75 acres so it is 2.5 x St. Peters.

NJ bb fans are going nuts over the Peacocks.

I got to meet and spend an afternoon with St.Peter’s HC Holloway when he was an Asst.Coach at Seton Hall recruiting a player I coached. Great person. Wouldn’t be surprised if becomes the HC at Seton Hall next season.

As an aside, I later went to watch a scrimmage at SH. After the scrimmage, I went up to Coach Holloway and told him I was very impressed with a new freshman, number 23, who I assumed was a scholarship player. He seemed surprised by my comment, fully expecting me to referring to a new 4-star guard SH had recruited. He then had to look at his roster sheet to see who I was talking about. After doing so, he said his name was Shavar Reynolds and that he was a walk-on.

I then went up to Shavar and told him how good I thought he was. He received a full-scholarship the following season, and he made the winning shot against St.John’s. He had a nice college career at SH., including shooting 47.8 percent on three’s his junior year.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2022 07:47 AM by Miggy.)
03-27-2022 07:21 AM
emu steve Online
Legend

(03-27-2022 07:21 AM)Miggy Wrote:  
(03-26-2022 01:18 PM)emu steve Wrote:  Man, I have forgotten to give St. Peters some love (though they cost me some green last night).

I got to meet and spend an afternoon with St.Peter’s HC Holloway when he was an Asst.Coach at Seton Hall recruiting a player I coached. Great person. Wouldn’t be surprised if becomes the HC at Seton Hall next season.

It would be impossible for St. Peters to keep him. His salary at St. Peters is a little over 250K per year.

Yeah, got to be happy for St. Peters fans, N.J. folks, etc. etc.

https://nypost.com/2022/03/27/saint-pete...rediction/

I always (?) said, if one lives long enough they will see a pandemic, European war, stock market crash and a surprise from the sports world, N.Y. Jets, N.Y. Mets, and now now St. Peters all out of Metro N.Y. (1960s were the Jets Super Bowl and Mets World Series).
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2022 07:39 AM by emu steve.)
03-27-2022 07:36 AM
emu steve Online
Legend

BTW, St. Peters doesn't have the deep bench of rich alumni to give huge sums of money. Too bad. Would be nice if they could drop some big millions on the school which isn't a wine and cheese school (like Georgetown).

In another thread I listed some at Howard. Here is Georgetown. Most people would have NO idea how many rich and famous people are GU alums. List is longer than a NBA player's arm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ge...ity_alumni

Now why can't G'town win in hoops? Lol.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2022 07:50 AM by emu steve.)
03-27-2022 07:48 AM
emu steve Online
Legend

(03-27-2022 07:21 AM)Miggy Wrote:  

As an aside, I later went to watch a scrimmage at SH. After the scrimmage, I went up to Coach Holloway and told him I was very impressed with a new freshman, number 23, who I assumed was a scholarship player. He seemed surprised by my comment, fully expecting me to referring to a new 4-star guard SH had recruited. He then had to look at his roster sheet to see who I was talking about. After doing so, he said his name was Shavar Reynolds and that he was a walk-on.

I then went up to Shavar and told him how good I thought he was. He received a full-scholarship the following season, and he made the winning shot against St.John’s. He had a nice college career at SH., including shooting 47.8 percent on three’s his junior year.

Here is a photo of their redone 3K arena (gym).

Next season I suspect their first home game will be like a pit. Kind of like a belated thank you, thank you, thank you... (I think St. Peters returns all of their players next year).

https://twitter.com/SPUAthletics/status/...19/photo/2
03-27-2022 11:47 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.