Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NCAA Tournament Discussion
Bookmark and Share
dan10 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Drexel
NCAA Tournament Discussion
Figured we should have 1 thread for anything tournament related.

Wyoming and Indiana was a real set back in time. Brutal on offense from both sides. They are physical teams, but neither could shoot a lick and it made it a tough watch.

In the NIT Towson plays tonight against Wake. Wake is an 8 point favorite. Hope that the good Towson shows up and shows well for the CAA.

In the CBI UNCW goes against VMI on Sunday
03-16-2022 11:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

RE: NCAA Tournament Discussion
i'm trying to get interested in this michigan-csu game. can't do it other than hoping michigan gets crushed. a 17-14 team getting an at large is a joke. it seems like there are more mediocre power conference teams getting in...and they're even more mediocre to just bad than they've been in past year.

i miss having multiple philly teams and a competitive caa team in the tournament. it's a shame the city is so far down.

real interest should be in the pa girls high school playoffs. our mechanicsburg wildcats made the 5a semifinal against cardinal o'hara. does anybody know if they have drexel recruits? dunmore has a future dragon and they got upset by jim thorpe last night.

jb's plymouth whitemarsh colonials are in the semis as well. they look like a strong contender to win the whole thing.
03-17-2022 11:38 AM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

Any time a mid like Colorado State has a chance to win, I can get excited. Glad they are playing well too, despite being the underdog. I am glad there is a push from talking heads about not allowing losing conference records in, however I doubt it ever gains traction with the NCAA or the conferences themselves. Everyone knew Michigan would get in, even if undeserving.

SDSU is fun to watch though, so tune in there.
03-17-2022 12:09 PM
DrachenFire Offline
2nd String

Became a big Medved fan when we were doing our great coach search. They're going to need their outside shooting to hold up and attack any time Dickinson is out because they have no answer for him.
03-17-2022 12:31 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

Missed lay up after a steal that leads to an open 3 for Michigan. Gotta play smart to win these games as a mid.
03-17-2022 12:40 PM
DrachenFire Offline
2nd String

Just couldn't handle the length on either end (killed in paint and at line) and the outside shooting dried up and that's all she wrote.
03-17-2022 01:25 PM
Advertisement

dan10 Offline
Heisman

Mountain west having a disaster. Boise off to a bad start against Memphis, down 13 with a couple to go in the half. Never like to see good mids falling to middling majors who are underperforming (Michigan, Memphis)
03-17-2022 01:30 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

Boise St down 19 at half. Oof
03-17-2022 01:44 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

For what it is worth, I would much rather us get a chance against a team like Illinois last season, than end up getting that higher seed but paired against an underperforming team that has the talent of a top seed. While playing a team like Michigan or Memphis is notable, as a 6 or 8 seed, thats a tough tough draw, knowing the team you are against has top 10 talent. All that hard work by those teams to get respect then get such bad matchups. Obviously in the end, you have to show up and play your game and show everyone your worth, but doesnt make it less frustrating. (And I dont have any reason to like CSU or Boise specifically, either). St Mary's falls into this same issue later on.

Going way back before someone notes we beat Memphis, Memphis then is nothing like Memphis now.
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2022 02:01 PM by dan10.)
03-17-2022 02:00 PM
Timer Offline
2nd String

I Root For: CAA
Well, THIS has been a fun day!!!!
03-17-2022 08:50 PM
J.B. Offline

Bruiser's days since leaving Drexel haven't been much better than when he was at Drexel. Seems like every bench he sits on, he makes sure that team performs below expectations.
03-17-2022 08:54 PM
Advertisement

Timer Offline
2nd String

I Root For: CAA
(03-17-2022 08:54 PM)J.B. Wrote:  Bruiser's days since leaving Drexel haven't been much better than when he was at Drexel. Seems like every bench he sits on, he makes sure that team performs below expectations.

Quite enjoying Jay Bilas' predictions blow up on him. I guess mid-majors really CAN compete with royalty.
03-17-2022 09:16 PM
hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

i listened to a podcast from last year with bruiser and dwayne killings who played for bruiser at umass and is the head coach a albany now. they were talking about black coaches getting fired too quickly and not getting as much slack as their white counterparts. i'm completely supportive of that...but bruiser made comments that he only had 2 losing seasons and he was let go.

he had a decade and a half to build our program. that was plenty of slack. it doesn't help his colleagues when he's not realistic about it being time to go.
03-17-2022 09:28 PM
jcohen42 Offline
Special Teams

It's also not only that they lost, but the way they lost. The program completely bottomed out. The team was losing to USciences and Alaska-Anchorage, and attendance steadily bled away until it got under the thousand-fan mark, which it has yet to recover from.

Once a program gets to that point, you have to move on. Simple as that.
03-17-2022 11:53 PM
JonP Offline
2nd String

(03-17-2022 09:28 PM)hiroshimacarp Wrote:  i listened to a podcast from last year with bruiser and dwayne killings who played for bruiser at umass and is the head coach a albany now. they were talking about black coaches getting fired too quickly and not getting as much slack as their white counterparts. i'm completely supportive of that...but bruiser made comments that he only had 2 losing seasons and he was let go.

Too bad. He's probably right in broad strokes, but his last four seasons were pretty bad in total.

I know he's just an assistant now and has to defer to Cal, but I found his body language so odd in last night's game. He was just like lounging on the sideline.
03-18-2022 08:45 AM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

Tough blow for him. Couldnt get us to the NCAA. Went to Indiana and never danced. Now finally makes it at Kentucky and get bounced in round one.

Games were outstanding yesterday. True mid majors went 5-7. I am quite sure the NCAA isnt happy about that success. The good news is Either St Peters or Murray State are guaranteed in the sweet sixteen. This tournament even after 1 day, is showing why the power conferences want a break. They are sick and tired of smaller programs taking money they think is theirs. I am loving watching the success of the smaller guys.
03-18-2022 11:43 AM
Advertisement

J.B. Offline

(03-18-2022 11:43 AM)dan10 Wrote:  Tough blow for him. Couldnt get us to the NCAA. Went to Indiana and never danced. Now finally makes it at Kentucky and get bounced in round one.

Games were outstanding yesterday. True mid majors went 5-7. I am quite sure the NCAA isnt happy about that success. The good news is Either St Peters or Murray State are guaranteed in the sweet sixteen. This tournament even after 1 day, is showing why the power conferences want a break. They are sick and tired of smaller programs taking money they think is theirs. I am loving watching the success of the smaller guys.

I just don't see how anything will change with the NCAA Tournament. The money is controlled by the TV Networks, not the Power 5 schools. Having 15-20 mid majors in the tournament makes for good television, at least at the start. Having 64 teams all from 8 or 9 conferences does not.

Personally, I would like to see a split, and a separate mid-major tournament where mid-majors schools would have the opportunity to shoot for a national championship, just like in football. But from a money standpoint, that's not going to maximize revenue for mid majors the way that the current format does.
03-18-2022 11:57 AM
J.B. Offline

While everyone is focusing their attention on the Men's NCAA Tournament, let's not forget that the women's tournament is also happening now. And there's an exciting one brewing in South Carolina right now....
At Halftime
South Carolina 44, Howard 4. Yep, not a typo.
03-18-2022 01:57 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

Beyond your 6-11 seeds, first round will continue to be much ado about nothing. Womens game is still working on distributing talent. and is decades behind the men. So you will get a first round where 1-2 top 5 seed falls. And of that 1-2 teams, it is doubtful to be a top 4 seed. The top 8 teams in womens wont break a sweat until the regional finals. Just how it is and that lack of disparity in talent currently. But 8 teams that are viable is far better than the 2-3 it has been the previous decade or so.
03-18-2022 02:16 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

Painter looks better for Delaware. Doesnt look as soft. Clearly he is motivated. Villanova really struggling on offense. 9 minutes in and 8 points
03-18-2022 02:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.