Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The future that I don't like...
Bookmark and Share
BucDoctor Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa, ETSU
The future that I don't like...
3 of Virginia Tech's starters are from Wofford, 2 of Wake's starters are from ETSU...

The transfer portal is of the devil.
03-10-2022 07:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

frankenheimer Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Purdue, ETSU
RE: The future that I don't like...
As a fan of college basketball, I do not like the transfer portal. One reason I like the college game is watching the same student-athletes (SAs) grow up, get better and graduate. I like getting to know them and am sad when they leave. The portal could completely change the college game's character in a few years, where the teams are put together like travel ball teams. I'm not sure if I'll continue to watch IF that happens.

HOWEVER, I see more and more that college basketball is a business. And pre-portal, the power was weighted heavily toward the coach, athletic department, school and NCAA. The SA signs a 4-year letter of intent in exchange for a one-year-at-a-time scholarship. And the NBA essentially colluded with the NCAA to force SAs to go to college whether they really wanted to or not. And if things didn't work out, the SA had to ask permission to leave and was restricted on his/her next destination. I like that the portal gives the SA a little leverage.

On balance, I believe more in giving SAs a little more freedom than my enjoyment. I think we are going through an over-correction with the portal. There will be a balancing where there won't be as many SAs jumping ship and it will not change the game as much as feared. Who knows, it may even stabilize the game, giving mid-major coaches better access to players and improving the quality of the mid-major game and giving those coaches a reason to stay.
03-10-2022 09:25 PM
Buc66 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
(03-10-2022 07:24 PM)BucDoctor Wrote:  3 of Virginia Tech's starters are from Wofford, 2 of Wake's starters are from ETSU...

The transfer portal is of the devil.

Agree. Rod is always accusing me of “complaining” about such things, after I’ve come in from barking at the moon. Schools are losing control of their athletic programs where coaches’ contracts, loaded with loopholes, are negotiated by outside agents that end up meaning little or nothing when the coach goes for $$$ greener pastures and taking star players. And now the Portal is neutralizing athletic grants leaving the schools-donors-student fees who are footing the BILLS for them holding the bag. And, are agents now lurking in this Portal “advising” these young athletes?
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2022 08:43 AM by Buc66.)
03-11-2022 08:06 AM
Flippmb Offline
Special Teams

(03-11-2022 08:06 AM)Buc66 Wrote:  
(03-10-2022 07:24 PM)BucDoctor Wrote:  ...The transfer portal is of the devil.

i fully agree...And, are agents now lurking in this Portal “advising” these young athletes?

Players are allowed representation in securing NIL contracts, so there is little doubt agents are combing the portal.

Combine the NIL rule with the portal, and college athletics are rushing headlong into a wild, wild west phase. Hang on to your hats.
03-11-2022 08:43 AM
Buc66 Offline
All American

Hell yea — go Portal and all those former ETSU employees and players now at Wake Forest, likely getting their chance at March Madness. . Let’s celebrate. Go Wake Forest. How many of you folks on here have been going over to Winston Salem “from Johnson City” to support WF? Who needs tickets for next season? Forbes can joke all he wants about needing more tickets for the Johnson City folks, and he can kiss my a$$. Sour grapes - you bet in that ETSU Athletics GOT SCREWED in various ways in all of this irregardless of this fog of sweet, touchy feely sound bites.

https://www.johnsoncitypress.com/sports/...79d8b.html
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2022 12:07 PM by Buc66.)
03-11-2022 12:05 PM
Advertisement

RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-11-2022 12:05 PM)Buc66 Wrote:  Hell yea — go Portal and all those former ETSU employees and players now at Wake Forest, likely getting their chance at March Madness. . Let’s celebrate. Go Wake Forest. How many of you folks on here have been going over to Winston Salem “from Johnson City” to support WF? Who needs tickets for next season? Forbes can joke all he wants about needing more tickets for the Johnson City folks, and he can kiss my a$$. Sour grapes - you bet in that ETSU Athletics GOT SCREWED in various ways in all of this irregardless of this fog of sweet, touchy feely sound bites.

https://www.johnsoncitypress.com/sports/...79d8b.html

ETSU didn't get screwed, they paid Forbes and those other guys to do a job and they did it really well. As for the players leaving ETSU after being given the opportunity to go to college being disloyal.. Ask Corely about that (and 3 young men this year). ETSU knows every coach they hire that has success is going to move on,
and every coach they hire knows if they aren't successful ETSU will fire them.

I am still pissed my favorite barista quit and got a job as nurse when she graduated. Nobody has been able to to make my latte correctly since. How dare she better herself? My needs should come first, I don't care if she did a great job and earned her paycheck, Me first.
/s

but seriously, How did ETSU get screwed? Forbes did what they hired him to do and earned every penny he made at ETSU.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2022 12:18 PM by RodShaw2.)
03-11-2022 12:15 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Not a huge fan of the portal but I understand why it was created.

Some mid majors will profit from the portal, the ones who have established themselves. It will keep them from losing too many but when they do (either from a star moving up to P5 or prospect that didn't pan out and needs to be replaced)
They can catch some of the falling P5 "failures" who are moving down looking for playing time as well attract the players who turned out to have been under recruited and are now looking to move up. Can also help with regular recruiting.
ETSU needs to find that sweet spot.
03-11-2022 12:35 PM
frankenheimer Offline
2nd String

(03-11-2022 08:06 AM)Buc66 Wrote:  ... Schools are losing control of their athletic programs where coaches’ contracts, loaded with loopholes, are negotiated by outside agents that end up meaning little or nothing when the coach goes for $$$ greener pastures and taking star players. And now the Portal is neutralizing athletic grants leaving the schools-donors-student fees who are footing the BILLS for them holding the bag. And, are agents now lurking in this Portal “advising” these young athletes?

I really don't consider schools the "victims" of the predatory coaches, agents, and players. The NCAA and the schools lay out the rules to this game and the schools hold the purse strings. They make the rules and can choose to play the game or not.
03-11-2022 01:11 PM
squeak Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Are the Brewer brothers heading to another school to finish out their eligibility? If so, this is where this portal stuff gets silly.
03-11-2022 02:47 PM
Advertisement

posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ETSU
(03-11-2022 02:47 PM)squeak Wrote:  Are the Brewer brothers heading to another school to finish out their eligibility? If so, this is where this portal stuff gets silly.

Yes. Or at least they're "running it up the flagpole" to see what offers they can get.
03-11-2022 03:04 PM
Buc66 Offline
All American

(03-11-2022 03:04 PM)posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Wrote:  
(03-11-2022 02:47 PM)squeak Wrote:  Are the Brewer brothers heading to another school to finish out their eligibility? If so, this is where this portal stuff gets silly.

Yes. Or at least they're "running it up the flagpole" to see what offers they can get.

They need to head on over to Wake Forest so these WF Johnson City fans can see them play another season. Again - any of you folks on here part of that Johnson City entourage? Does this outfit charter a bus or something for the trips? Hell, if Forbes likes these folks so much, bring WF to Freedom Hall so they will have one less trip to make.
03-11-2022 03:21 PM
Buc'ed_Up Offline
1st String

I wouldn't lose sleep over the brewer bro's putting their name in the portal. They've both expressed interest in going pro. It's typical for grad transfers to test the waters in the portal world. They are moving on and I appreciate their time here in our program. Best of luck to them!
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2022 12:21 AM by Buc'ed_Up.)
03-12-2022 12:20 AM
seagrove10 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
Brown from Citadel has entered portal and schools expressing interest (according to Charleston paper) are Wake, Iowa St, Virginia tech, Ole Miss and Loyola Chicago.
03-12-2022 11:46 AM
Advertisement

BaseballPops Offline
2nd String

(03-12-2022 11:46 AM)seagrove10 Wrote:  Brown from Citadel has entered portal and schools expressing interest (according to Charleston paper) are Wake, Iowa St, Virginia tech, Ole Miss and Loyola Chicago.

Dude is a stud on the college hardwood.
03-14-2022 08:00 PM
squeak Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(03-14-2022 08:00 PM)BaseballPops Wrote:  
(03-12-2022 11:46 AM)seagrove10 Wrote:  Brown from Citadel has entered portal and schools expressing interest (according to Charleston paper) are Wake, Iowa St, Virginia tech, Ole Miss and Loyola Chicago.

Dude is a stud on the college hardwood.

He could definitly get in the head of an opponent. I loved watching him play at the Citadel.
03-14-2022 08:17 PM
prosec34 Offline
2nd String

I have to say, Buc66, I enjoy your grit and disgust as stated.
03-16-2022 02:03 PM
Buc66 Offline
All American

(03-16-2022 02:03 PM)prosec34 Wrote:  I have to say, Buc66, I enjoy your grit and disgust as stated.

OK -fill me in.
03-16-2022 05:33 PM
Advertisement

frankenheimer Offline
2nd String

(03-16-2022 05:33 PM)Buc66 Wrote:  
(03-16-2022 02:03 PM)prosec34 Wrote:  I have to say, Buc66, I enjoy your grit and disgust as stated.

OK -fill me in.
Hey, you got a compliment on a message board - don't question it, just say "thank you!"
03-17-2022 05:39 AM
Buc66 Offline
All American

(03-17-2022 05:39 AM)frankenheimer Wrote:  
(03-16-2022 05:33 PM)Buc66 Wrote:  

OK -fill me in.
Hey, you got a compliment on a message board - don't question it, just say "thank you!"

Appreciate the heads up. In today’s world — scorn can come dressed as a compliment. Except for Rod — he offers insults straight up with no disguises.
03-17-2022 11:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.