UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AK's name getting traction?
Auburn_Blazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: Auburn & UAB
AK's name getting traction?
AK potentially getting traction at Georgia. Saw it mentioned in this article:

"Everyone wants to talk about Cleveland State head coach Dennis Gates and Xavier associate head coach Jonas Hayes at Georgia (and for good reason), but keep an eye on UAB head coach Andy Kennedy. The former Ole Miss head coach who is 46-14 in his two seasons at UAB, is a 2-time SEC Coach of the Year winner who spent 12-seasons coaching in the SEC. More names soon."

https://hoopdirt.com/daily-dirt-3-9-22/

Feels like it would be pretty surprising for him to move on, but I guess I could just be living in a dream world.
03-09-2022 10:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DuelingDragon Online
All American

I Root For: UAB
RE: AK's name getting traction?
Andy isn’t going to Georgia.
03-09-2022 10:41 AM
jcduncan13 Offline
All American

I doubt it but side note: Why is it so hard to win at Georgia? Seems like they’ve had some good coaches go there the past few years but just can’t win.
03-09-2022 10:42 AM
DuelingDragon Online
All American

Georgia is completely a football culture school and state. Plenty of elite prep players but ACC recruits it bigtime and pretty much every top basketball program recruits Atlanta. Georgia also has average facilities and support for MBB.
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2022 10:57 AM by DuelingDragon.)
03-09-2022 10:50 AM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
If Florida makes a move, I could see AK looking harder at that one over Georgia.
03-09-2022 11:12 AM
BlazeOn Offline
Bench Warmer

(03-09-2022 10:38 AM)BlazinBham Wrote:  He’s only getting 600k from us, I think. We aren’t joining a much better league regarding bids once the Big 12 3 move on. A rebuilding job in SEC is more attractive.

My bad, it’s $725k

Meanwhile, Oates and Pearl are getting 5-6 times as much - as are many other D1 head coaches. No matter how much AK may love UAB, if someone offers him a 500% raise to leave how does he turn that down? If AK is going to be here long term the powers that be had better come up with some more money.
03-09-2022 11:16 AM
Advertisement

Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
If AK gets you guys back into the tourney this year, might be time to get his salary up to a mil at least. Heading into the AAC your going to want him and not transitioning to another coach. And we all know how easy it is to make a bad hire and torpedo a program.
03-09-2022 11:22 AM
UABrandon Online
1st String

I Root For: UAB/Arizona
(03-09-2022 10:13 AM)Auburn_Blazer Wrote:  AK potentially getting traction at Georgia. Saw it mentioned in this article:

"Everyone wants to talk about Cleveland State head coach Dennis Gates and Xavier associate head coach Jonas Hayes at Georgia (and for good reason), but keep an eye on UAB head coach Andy Kennedy. The former Ole Miss head coach who is 46-14 in his two seasons at UAB, is a 2-time SEC Coach of the Year winner who spent 12-seasons coaching in the SEC. More names soon."

https://hoopdirt.com/daily-dirt-3-9-22/

Feels like it would be pretty surprising for him to move on, but I guess I could just be living in a dream world.

Ive seen a lot of UGA fans on reddit who want him not only for his success there but the fact he has a lot of connections in the ATL AAU scene
03-09-2022 11:27 AM
BlazerDave Jr Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UaB
Am I the only one who saw Andy’s return to the southside as his final coaching destination?
03-09-2022 11:45 AM
DuelingDragon Online
All American

A Georgia Reditter goober makes a goober post and another Georgia Goober makes a goober blog post about it and now we are talking about AK being gone, being goobers ourselves, on the Eve of our biggest basketball opportunity in half a decade.

Goobers gonna Goober I guess.
03-09-2022 11:49 AM
Blazer4Life14 Offline
One of “Kent’s People”

I Root For: UAB, Pro Sports
(03-09-2022 11:45 AM)BlazerDave Jr Wrote:  Am I the only one who saw Andy’s return to the southside as his final coaching destination?

This is kinda my thought as well. I’m guessing he could’ve taken bigger opportunities than UAB while he was at ESPN, but he chose to come here. He continually talks about getting the program back to the “Bartow Standard”, so I don’t think he leaves until it’s back there, if ever, before retiring.
03-09-2022 11:52 AM
Advertisement

DuelingDragon Online
All American

Andy could make more doing TV and radio, if he wanted to, than more than half of the p5 basketball jobs. He could easily have an elite media analyst career if he wanted to do so.
03-09-2022 11:58 AM
BlazeOn Offline
Bench Warmer

Some of ya'll are very naive.
03-09-2022 12:17 PM
randy22263 Offline
1st String

I Root For: uab
(03-09-2022 12:17 PM)BlazeOn Wrote:  Some of ya'll are very naive.

That's a nice way of putting it.
03-09-2022 12:30 PM
DuelingDragon Online
All American

Not at all. Georgia is a mediocre job and has been since the 1980s when they failed to capitalize on having Dominique Wilkins and then a surprise Final Four team.

Andy can make a lot more money than current job at almost any power 5 job. If it was all about money he would have taken one of many of those opportunities available to him after leaving Ole Miss. If it was all about money, he could easily be making p5 coaching job money doing TV also. He could have his own radio show and TV show on SEC Network by now and without a doubt could be positioning himself to be one of the lead analysts. There will be a void coming in the next few years with a passing of torch from Vitale, Raftery, Kellogg to a new generation, and AK could easily be in that mix if he wanted to do so.

Fact is, UAB can’t compete salary wise with any major program. It has to be about more than money. I think it is, or AK wouldn’t even be here in the first place.
03-09-2022 01:18 PM
BlazerDave Offline
1st String

(03-09-2022 01:18 PM)DuelingDragon Wrote:  Not at all. Georgia is a mediocre job and has been since the 1980s when they failed to capitalize on having Dominique Wilkins and then a surprise Final Four team.

Andy can make a lot more money than current job at almost any power 5 job. If it was all about money he would have taken one of many of those opportunities available to him after leaving Ole Miss. If it was all about money, he could easily be making p5 coaching job money doing TV also. He could have his own radio show and TV show on SEC Network by now and without a doubt could be positioning himself to be one of the lead analysts. There will be a void coming in the next few years with a passing of torch from Vitale, Raftery, Kellogg to a new generation, and AK could easily be in that mix if he wanted to do so.

Fact is, UAB can’t compete salary wise with any major program. It has to be about more than money. I think it is, or AK wouldn’t even be here in the first place.

Exactly.
03-09-2022 01:41 PM
Advertisement

bftb Offline
Go Blazers!

(03-09-2022 01:18 PM)DuelingDragon Wrote:  Not at all. Georgia is a mediocre job and has been since the 1980s when they failed to capitalize on having Dominique Wilkins and then a surprise Final Four team.

I agree. I am amazed at how many people are completely driven by money, as if that is the only factor in life, and assume that's the case for everyone else. We have been hearing it for years with Coach Clark, as we have with Andy. There's no way AK comes here to begin with (paid less than Ehsan at first) if it was about money. Even back to Coach Bartow, he had plenty of opportunities to leave--including to Kentucky, for exponentially more money--but he knew there were some things worth more than money.

None of these guys are hurting for money right now. They could make MORE--and likely. much more--but they are happy where they are and certainly already wealthier than they could have ever dreamed.
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2022 01:50 PM by bftb.)
03-09-2022 01:47 PM
BlazerFromMD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, USNA
(03-09-2022 01:47 PM)bftb Wrote:  

I agree. I am amazed at how many people are completely driven by money, as if that is the only factor in life, and assume that's the case for everyone else. We have been hearing it for years with Coach Clark, as we have with Andy. There's no way AK comes here to begin with (paid less than Ehsan at first) if it was about money. Even back to Coach Bartow, he had plenty of opportunities to leave--including to Kentucky, for exponentially more money--but he knew there were some things worth more than money.

None of these guys are hurting for money right now. They could make MORE--and likely. much more--but they are happy where they are and certainly already wealthier than they could have ever dreamed.

+1
03-09-2022 02:32 PM
UABFRENCHY Online
Heisman

Donators
(03-09-2022 02:32 PM)BlazerFromMD Wrote:  
(03-09-2022 01:47 PM)bftb Wrote:  

+1
CLARK AND kENNEDY WILL never get fire a UAB (95 % accurate )
03-09-2022 02:54 PM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I don't think AK would be a good fit for UGA.
03-09-2022 03:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.