Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Transfers for 2022
Bookmark and Share
Etsuwins Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ETSU
Transfers for 2022
Matt Nunez & Isacc Farah are transferring.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2022 03:59 PM by Etsuwins.)
03-07-2022 03:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: Transfers for 2022
(03-07-2022 03:58 PM)Etsuwins Wrote:  Matt Nunez & Isacc Farah are transferring.

Suprised :Pikachuface: 04-jawdrop

Verbal commits reported it and both guys retweeted it.

So it begins..

Coach Oliver wants to talk to you in his office..... Bring your playbook.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2022 04:15 PM by RodShaw2.)
03-07-2022 04:10 PM
DaBuc Brass Offline
2nd String

Neither one was going to contribute. Big off-season for Oliver. [/size]
03-07-2022 04:15 PM
posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

It would really be nice if he flat out took back his comments when he signed him:

“Matt will bring tremendous size and low-post scoring to our roster the first day he steps foot on campus,” said Oliver."

Oliver announces signing of Nunez

.........but of course that ain't gonna happen. Interesting to keep seeing that article calling him 7 ft. Also interesting that that guy was 1st team All-State. Kinda hard to believe.
==========================

And altho he wasn't quite as glowing on Farah:

“Isaac has as much upside as any player in our program, and we are so excited to work with him and see how great he can become,” said Oliver."

Oliver announces signing of Farah

...........it'd be nice to walk that back, too. The point of those steps would be to re-establish credibility, which for the moment he needs some of. (Very) late in the season, after it was clear that no true recovery was on the horizon, he lowered (a lot) his assessment of his first recruiting class. And hey - we all know the extremely difficult situation he was in, and in his words, partially paraphrasing, "I took what I could get." It's almost been like he's been in a slllloooow confessional lately. I have a feeling he's expressed his honesty more clearly directly to the players, which of course is admirable, but it'd be better if he was a tad more public on those things. And I know...........likely wishful thinking.
03-07-2022 04:34 PM
Buc'ed_Up Offline
1st String

This never made it to verbal commits but it appears 7'0 C Jimmy Bell, Jr. received an offer from us in late december. Transferred to Moberly Area Community College from Saint Louis

https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/jimmy-bell-jr

(This post was last modified: 03-07-2022 05:04 PM by Buc'ed_Up.)
03-07-2022 05:04 PM
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

Totally expected. It can be a win/win situation. Coach Oliver has made his mark as a recruiter so I think we may be on the verge of a great recruiting season. Go Bucs!
03-07-2022 05:23 PM
Advertisement

RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-07-2022 05:04 PM)Buced_Up Wrote:  This never made it to verbal commits but it appears 7'0 C Jimmy Bell, Jr. received an offer from us in late december. Transferred to Moberly Area Community College from Saint Louis

https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/jimmy-bell-jr

Seems to be listed as 6'10 most places but the 270 pounds is interesting
03-07-2022 05:25 PM
JW2265 Offline
Water Engineer

ETSU G Brandon Hall has entered the transfer portal. https://verbalcommits.com/players/brando...il-chicago
03-07-2022 06:04 PM
shampoo Offline
All American

I Root For: blue and gold
(03-07-2022 03:58 PM)Etsuwins Wrote:  Matt Nunez & Isacc Farah are transferring.

Farah will wind up DII. Nunez is young and big enough, with some prior recruitment to note, that he can potentially land a spot to develop at another DI school.
03-07-2022 06:08 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-07-2022 06:04 PM)JW2265 Wrote:  ETSU G Brandon Hall has entered the transfer portal. https://verbalcommits.com/players/brando...il-chicago

Well, I can't say I (and I doubt anybody else is) surprised at the 3 who have left.
Now we wait to see if more bolt.
I want to keep
King
Seymour
Yasser
Tipler (transfer, he just got here doubt he would leave)
Strothers (Oliver has spoken highly of him probably wants to keep hin)

We have 3 signed, I doubt he would run them off at this point.
I am excited by Gregory and Shaw, Ilic is a family friend of Oliver
so I doubt he would pull a scholarship this late) so I would guess
all are still coming.

leaves Weber and Charles, I am on the fence honestly I would like to see one
or the other leave to give us another building block.
Weber, we have seen him for 3 years, He is what he is, a role player, if he is a key
contributor that probably is bad news for us next year. (Unless he really really improves)
Charles didn't get to see him much because of injuries, he looked really raw but
athletic, a potential upside there but if he leaves you can't miss what you didn't really have.
But I probably would pick Charles over Weber if I had to. See what he has.

The three new guys all have to be transfers, JUCOS, have experience, We don't need more freshmen, we need guys with a track record to look at and can contribute right away.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2022 06:20 PM by RodShaw2.)
03-07-2022 06:18 PM
Heisman

Unlike with several of Forbes's "you're-not-gonna-play-much-but-I'm-not-gonna-tell-ya-that" kids, I'm pretty much fine with losing Nunez and Farah. Back in the fall, there were plenty of (experienced) guards available so Hall and Strothers were (at least temporarily) expendable. It was a simple matter of "math".

I would *not* feel good about losing Strothers and/or Hall. And apparently Hall has thrown in the towel. Not sure he was happy down South, anyway. Dudes both can play. As always, it's just the unending search for quality bigs. Do you trade out a potential FOY-type player for a solid, serviceable 6'8 or 6'9" guy? That's what Oliver's been facing, and he knows it.
03-07-2022 06:53 PM
Advertisement

Buc66 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
(03-07-2022 06:18 PM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  
(03-07-2022 06:04 PM)JW2265 Wrote:  ETSU G Brandon Hall has entered the transfer portal. https://verbalcommits.com/players/brando...il-chicago

Well, I can't say I (and I doubt anybody else is) surprised at the 3 who have left.
I want to keep
King
Seymour
Yasser

all are still coming.

Weber, we have seen him for 3 years, He is what he is, a role player, if he is a key
contributor that probably is bad news for us next year. (Unless he really really improves)
Charles didn't get to see him much because of injuries, he looked really raw but
athletic, a potential upside there but if he leaves you can't miss what you didn't really have.

The three new guys all have to be transfers, JUCOS, have experience, We don't need more freshmen, we need guys with a track record to look at and can contribute right away.

How does this sound good “contribute right away” style ball actually work in reality as these transfer players come in from another system and adapt overnight to a new system in order to “contribute right away” AND WIN unless the receiving coach really has little or no system and it’s just free for all - street ball hoping for the best? Perhaps everybody will start playing portal ball and the games will more resemble pick up games down at the Y. Where is this college game headed?
03-07-2022 06:55 PM
Heisman

Here's what Hall said when he signed in the early-signing time frame:

“I chose ETSU because it was important to me to feel comfortable and I believe everyone there has my best interest at heart,” said Hall. “I love the program, the way it operates and the facilities. This was honestly a match made in heaven!

Of course he signed with shay, so..............
I predict he gets grabbed by a 'good' school, and makes an impact.
03-07-2022 06:59 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-07-2022 06:55 PM)Buc66 Wrote:  How does this sound good “contribute right away” style ball actually work in reality as these transfer players come in from another system and adapt overnight to a new system in order to “contribute right away” AND WIN unless the receiving coach really has little or no system and it’s just free for all - street ball hoping for the best? Perhaps everybody will start playing portal ball and the games will more resemble pick up games down at the Y. Where is this college game headed?

Congrats, it didn't take you long to find something else to complain about.
I would rather have a player who has played college ball, understands how it works, how it is different than high school, who good has fundamentals over a kid from high school, I think the transfer could pick things up faster, would already understand college ball and just need to learn the coaches terms and style.
Even if they haven't played a system they have probably learned parts of it, even if it was to defend against.
They aren't learning a new language for heaven's sake, it is new terms and new ways of doing things. Like putting the ball in the basketball.

But hey it is raining in Johnson City, there should be plenty of clouds for you to go yell at. 03-lmfao03-lmfao

EDIT: Also if Oliver is going out trying to find players who can contribute right away,, I bet,, just bet he is looking for players of a certain style, that would BE a good fit for his system
maybe they played in something similar. He isn't going out looking for a "Big" he is looking for the best Big he can find that fits his system.
He didn't have that luxury last year. Hopefully he can find 1 or 2 and is right.
Same with the other positions. King came in right away and contributed because King is his type of player.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2022 07:15 PM by RodShaw2.)
03-07-2022 07:06 PM
Buc66 Offline
All American

(03-07-2022 07:06 PM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  
(03-07-2022 06:55 PM)Buc66 Wrote:  How does this sound good “contribute right away” style ball actually work in reality as these transfer players come in from another system and adapt overnight to a new system in order to “contribute right away” AND WIN unless the receiving coach really has little or no system and it’s just free for all - street ball hoping for the best? Perhaps everybody will start playing portal ball and the games will more resemble pick up games down at the Y. Where is this college game headed?

Congrats, it didn't take you long to find something else to complain about.
I would rather have a player who has played college ball, understands how it works, how it is different than high school, who good has fundamentals over a kid from high school, I think the transfer could pick things up faster, would already understand college ball and just need to learn the coaches terms and style.
Even if they haven't played a system they have probably learned parts of it, even if it was to defend against.
They aren't learning a new language for heaven's sake, it is new terms and new ways of doing things. Like putting the ball in the basketball.

But hey it is raining in Johnson City, there should be plenty of clouds for you to go yell at. 03-lmfao03-lmfao

EDIT: Also if Oliver is going out trying to find players who can contribute right away,, I bet,, just bet he is looking for players of a certain style, that would BE a good fit for his system
maybe they played in something similar. He isn't going out looking for a "Big" he is looking for the best Big he can find that fits his system.
He didn't have that luxury last year. Hopefully he can find 1 or 2 and is right.
Same with the other positions. King came in right away and contributed because King is his type of player.

Go to dictionary - you’ll find that the word complain has no relationship to the word question. I stand by my questions — and after your snarky opening, you attempted to answer my QUESTIONS. And, I actually found your opinionated responses reasonable.
03-07-2022 07:39 PM
frankenheimer Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Purdue, ETSU
(03-07-2022 06:18 PM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  Well, I can't say I (and I doubt anybody else is) surprised at the 3 who have left.
I want to keep
King
Seymour
Yasser

all are still coming.

I pretty much agree with this assessment. Not too disturbed by those entering the portal. King, Yasser, and Seymour are good players on whom to build a foundation this coming year. Weber does go after the ball, but he can be a foul magnet, and he was snake-bit as far as injury goes; not sure if this was a bad year or he's just one of those guys that gets hurt a lot. Charles showed a couple nice flashes the few times he got on the floor, but I recall one time he was completely lost on defense; on balance, I think he, too, can be a contributor.

In today's world, I'm thinking that half of your incoming players should be freshmen and half transfers on average. It doesn't make sense to put all your energy in either group. You will have players you've put energy into developing who leave - why "restock" exclusively with freshmen that again you'll put energy into developing. It is beneficial to have some that stay at one school for their entire eligibility, so getting one or two freshmen each year builds a foundation.
03-09-2022 05:58 AM
Advertisement

bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

(03-07-2022 06:18 PM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  

I want to keep
King
Seymour
Yasser

all are still coming.

I agree with this assessment. It will be exciting to see the players we bring in.
03-09-2022 07:21 AM
Flippmb Offline
Special Teams

(03-07-2022 06:53 PM)posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Wrote:  I would *not* feel good about losing Strothers and/or Hall. And apparently Hall has thrown in the towel. Not sure he was happy down South, anyway. Dudes both can play.

I've only seen Strothers in the warmup line before games, but his athleticism is readily apparent. I'm looking forward to seeing him play.
03-09-2022 10:18 AM
squeak Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Is anybody coming up with any NIL money to go shopping within the portal?
03-09-2022 12:13 PM
Meanmike0001 Offline
Special Teams

They all may develop in to good players. But if they weren't good enough to play for a mediocre team, I'm sure they can be replaced. Best of luck to all of them. No hard feelings at all. Life is too short to be unhappy.
03-09-2022 01:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.