Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Gymnastics
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Gymnastics
Had two interesting battle with Ohio St. this weekend. Losing at #16 Ohio State Friday by only 0.200 points. Came home Sunday and found the 0.200 points plus some but watched Ohio St. score 197.500 to beat them by a full point. Judging from the Ohio St. reaction that might have been their highest score ever. It was the best team score I ever saw at Kent. Boy those fans were obnoxious. Got there early and made sure they had all the prime seats. Crowd was around 2000 with at least 500 Buckeye fans. Weird year. Kent doing well enough that they would be number 25 in the country any of the last five years. For some reason that score is only good for 41 this year. With only 2 meets left it’s going to be tough to get to 36th and get an NCAA bid. Hard to believe the whole collegiate scene got that much better in one year. Might be time to modify the scoring system when the 41st team in the country is averaging almost 9.8 out of 10. Kent used to toss a T-shirt into the crowd for any score above 9.5. They changed it to 9.7 this year because the cost of T-shirts was out of control.
03-07-2022 12:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
RE: Gymnastics
(03-07-2022 12:48 PM)burden Wrote:  Kent used to toss a T-shirt into the crowd for any score above 9.5. They changed it to 9.7 this year because the cost of T-shirts was out of control.
Gheeez, next they’ll expect these gymnasts to shovel snow at the MACC. 03-lmfao
03-07-2022 01:46 PM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I got a little off topic and forgot one of the things I wanted to point out. I saw the new AD for the first time as he was there to honor Rudy Bachna who along with his first wife started the Kent women's program in 1959. Rudy who passed away about a year ago always would stop and chat and I was surprised to find out he went to Lincoln High School in Cleveland at the same time as my mother back in the early 40s. I know his wife was the main coach but he was an Olympic and World Championship international judge among other things. Jeff Kurtz read through all that and they introduced someone who I assumed was his daughter but it was never made clear. It really was a pretty lame presentation by the AD for the guy who started the first women’s gymnastics program at a time when women’s sports was a big zero (except for tennis, golf and Wilma Rudolph). If he had done a better job he might have taught the Ohio St. fans they weren’t first in everything.
03-07-2022 06:59 PM
Older and Older Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kent State
(03-08-2022 08:36 AM)Older and Older Wrote:  
(03-07-2022 06:59 PM)burden Wrote:  I got a little off topic and forgot one of the things I wanted to point out. I saw the new AD for the first time as he was there to honor Rudy Bachna who along with his first wife started the Kent women's program in 1959. Rudy who passed away about a year ago always would stop and chat and I was surprised to find out he went to Lincoln High School in Cleveland at the same time as my mother back in the early 40s. I know his wife was the main coach but he was an Olympic and World Championship international judge among other things. Jeff Kurtz read through all that and they introduced someone who I assumed was his daughter but it was never made clear. It really was a pretty lame presentation by the AD for the guy who started the first women’s gymnastics program at a time when women’s sports was a big zero (except for tennis, golf and Wilma Rudolph). If he had done a better job he might have taught the Ohio St. fans they weren’t first in everything.

Confirming , it was Rudy’s second wife Lynn. Did you notice she came over to greet Jeff with a hug. That was awkward for AD I’m sure. Jeff needs to be full time not just for Gymnastics, Wrestling, Track.
03-08-2022 09:49 AM
JimJoyce Offline
1st String

I Root For: KT ST
Kent State never EVER gets those types of ceremonies right. I think the last decent one was in 2003 when they retired the four jerseys at halftime. No one in that building has any feel, and it’s been that way for years. This spring marks the 20 and 10-year anniversary (respectively) of the Elite Eight and College World Series teams. Both once-in-a-generation events and maybe once-in-history events for the school. Will be interesting to see how they manage to screw those up.
03-08-2022 12:59 PM
Advertisement

Older and Older Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kent State
(03-08-2022 12:59 PM)JimJoyce Wrote:  Kent State never EVER gets those types of ceremonies right. I think the last decent one was in 2003 when they retired the four jerseys at halftime. No one in that building has any feel, and it’s been that way for years. This spring marks the 20 and 10-year anniversary (respectively) of the Elite Eight and College World Series teams. Both once-in-a-generation events and maybe once-in-history events for the school. Will be interesting to see how they manage to screw those up.

Amen Jim. They have an Asst AD in charge of event (party) planning.
Not sure what the problem is ? But you are right , they have no feel for doing things in a classy manner.
03-08-2022 10:21 PM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Yeah a video tribute would have been the way to go. Besides chatting with Rudy I also remember cussing him out when he used to have to climb a ladder and hang the flash cards to give you the team scores back in the day where the meets were actually in the gymnastics room. He was at least 1 rotation (if not 2) behind. Now Kent has progressed to posting the scores on the side scoreboards and after a year or so they finally taught the students to only use the best 5 scores out of the first six.
03-09-2022 12:23 PM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Well the gymnastics team won the regular season title today beating WMU.
Team had its 3rd highest score ever with a 196.850. Don’t know if that’s good enough to move us up from 41st to at least 36th but will know by tomorrow morning. Only meet left are the MAC Championships.
03-13-2022 04:49 PM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Finished 5th in the MAC Tournament. Had 2 falls on the bars costing them 0.8 to 0.9 points. Would have been enough to move them to the top of the heap. I bet they haven’t had two falls all year on the bars. Missed the NCAAs even though we had our highest season RQS score in 5 years. Looks like every team had their highest score in 5 years. That’s one thing I love about gymnastics. Scoring is so consistent.
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2022 05:42 PM by burden.)
03-19-2022 05:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.