Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Expansion Thought
Retrosports Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Southern Indiana
Expansion Thought
While I am pretty sure Lindenwood’s announcement today will be they are going D-1 and joining the OVC, that only gets the conference to 10 with 6 football schools. There has been talk of OVC trying to get Ark. Pine Bluff which would be a travel partner for Little Rock and an HBCU for Tennessee St. Could the league convince Kentucky St (another HBCU) to move up to D-1 and maybe make it more appealing? They kicked the tires last year about joining MEAC, and this would get the conference to 12 with 8 FB schools.
02-23-2022 07:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
RE: Expansion Thought
Chicago State badly needs a conference home, and that would bring a big market into the OVC. They don't have football, but they are essentially an HBCU.
03-16-2022 08:28 AM
Retrosports Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Southern Indiana
RE: Expansion Thought
(03-16-2022 08:28 AM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  Chicago State badly needs a conference home, and that would bring a big market into the OVC. They don't have football, but they are essentially an HBCU.

As bad as Chicago State is, I believe this could be a good move for the OVC. My thought would be to waive their entrance fee and admit them for a trial period of 4-5 years. In that time, make significant improvements in their teams or investments into the athletic programs with the savings they should see in travel at minimum. In the timeframe, have them work on bringing back baseball or investing in football to start it up. At the end of the trial run, have them show what they have done something to improve and possibly admit them full time. You can also give wiggle room if football was implemented to be non-scholarship to start but have a timeline to be scholarship in a certain amount of time and offer another trial run.

The recruiting pool of Chicago could help the conference as a whole. This is why MVC is constantly adding a lackluster Chicago school to their conference to keep a presence.
03-16-2022 11:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.