Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The SEC, the Big Ten, and no one else?
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
The SEC, the Big Ten, and no one else?
Interesting article from Matt Hayes and Saturday Down South.

There are a few points surrounding the college game that don't pertain to the expansion/realignment discussion, but most of the points do.

Long and short of the story...the ACC is in trouble. The SEC and the Big Ten are going to consider all options as it pertains to new members. The Alliance is effectively meaningless.
02-22-2022 06:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
RE: The SEC, the Big Ten, and no one else?
(02-22-2022 06:16 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Interesting article from Matt Hayes and Saturday Down South.

There are a few points surrounding the college game that don't pertain to the expansion/realignment discussion, but most of the points do.

Long and short of the story...the ACC is in trouble. The SEC and the Big Ten are going to consider all options as it pertains to new members. The Alliance is effectively meaningless.

Good article.
02-22-2022 09:32 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(02-22-2022 09:32 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(02-22-2022 06:16 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Interesting article from Matt Hayes and Saturday Down South.

Good article.

They are basically speaking of the Super 2 and the Tweener I've spoken of for a while now. The SEC and B1G consolidate brands and others form around the new B12.

I believe hoops will be considered however, even though the main thrust will be football.

If just football and the ACC's the target you are talking FSU, Clemson, Virginia Tech and Miami on just value. You are talking FSU, Clemson Virginia Tech, and North Carolina for most profitable. When Sankey said all options are on the table it makes me think of a 20 school defensive move which was developed in 1990 and later spoken of by Sherril.

These ideas have been around a long time. The time and money may finally be right to make it happen.

The question in my mind is would the Big Ten look West? If so 20 is the limit. If they look at Georgia Tech and Miami then the SEC "might" and I mean "might" look at going to 24 likely including NC State and Virginia.

What about Duke? I think we may also be headed for some all but football members.

What about Oklahoma State and Texas Tech? We'll have to see how this plays out.

I find it interesting that they discussed ND and dismissed it, that they discussed adding schools but dismissed 20 or 24 when really 18 doesn't do enough market wise or divisionally, and yet said more would be added. The SEC is already at 16.

I've suspected these guys of plagiarism as articles of theirs seem to lift ideas and even lift discussion of them. The wrap it up with an anonymous source attributed as an AD and package it as theirs.

I do think they are accurate in their premise. We are headed for a super 2. It doesn't take a crystal ball to know a $40 million dollar gap in revenue between the PAC 12, B12, & ACC with the SEC & B1G would produce it, now does it? How large do we go for the Big 10 and SEC? Just look at the available schools. 20 each is the floor. 24 is politically likely. But such contradictions are easily made when you draw from at least 3 sources and piece together something you call original. Oh, and these guys....aren't Southern.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2022 12:06 AM by JRsec.)
02-22-2022 09:46 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(02-22-2022 09:46 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(02-22-2022 09:32 PM)bullet Wrote:  

Good article.

They are basically speaking of the Super 2 and the Tweener I've spoken of for a while now. The SEC and B1G consolidate brands and others form around the new B12.

I believe hoops will be considered however, even though the main thrust will be football.

If just football and the ACC's the target you are talking FSU, Clemson, Virginia Tech and Miami on just value. You are talking FSU, Clemson Virginia Tech, and North Carolina for most profitable. When Sankey said all options are on the table it makes me think of a 20 school defensive move which was developed in 1990 and later spoken of by Sherril.

These ideas have been around a long time. The time and money may finally be right to make it happen.

The question in my mind is would the Big Ten look West? If so 20 is the limit. If they look at Georgia Tech and Miami then the SEC "might" and I mean "might" look at going to 24 likely including NC State and Virginia.

What about Duke? I think we may also be headed for some all but football members.

What about Oklahoma State and Texas Tech? We'll have to see how this plays out.

I find it interesting that they discussed ND and dismissed it, that they discussed adding schools but dismissed 20 or 24 when really 18 doesn't do enough market wise or divisionally, and yet said more would be added. The SEC is already at 16.

I've suspected these guys of plagiarism as articles of theirs seem to lift ideas and even lift discussion of them. The wrap it up with an anonymous source attributed as an AD and package it as theirs.

I do think they are accurate in their premise. We are headed for a super 2. It doesn't take a crystal ball to know a $40 million dollar gap in revenue between the PAC 12, B12, & ACC with the SEC & B1G would produce it, now does it? How large do we go for the Big 10 and SEC? Just look at the available schools. 20 each is the floor. 24 is politically likely. But such contradictions are easily made when you draw from at least 3 sources and piece together something you call original. Oh, and these guys....aren't Southern.

If that scenario develops JR, and Miami, FSU, Clemson and Virginia Tech head to the SEC and the B1G looks west then we will end up with 4 conferences not three.

An east coast league of GT, Carolina, NC State, Wake Forest, Duke, UVa, Syracuse, Pitt, Boston College, Louisville and Notre Dame could easily form and not affect the Big 12 and PAC leftovers.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2022 06:09 PM by XLance.)
02-23-2022 12:35 PM
PeteTheChop Offline
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
(02-23-2022 12:35 PM)XLance Wrote:  If that scenario develops JR, and Miami, FSU, Clemson and Virginia Tech head to the SEC and the B1G looks west then we will end up with 4 conferences not three.

An east coast league of GT, Carolina, NC State, Wake Forest, Duke, Syracuse, Pitt, Boston College, Louisville and Notre Dame could easily form and not affect the Big 12 and PAC leftovers.

1. So UNC would decline invites from both B1G and the SEC to remain in a depleted ACC (that certainly would generate way less media dollars than either of those two conferences)?

2. Would Notre Dame continue with the "affiliate membership" it currently enjoys knowing home-and-homes with the Canes, FSU, Clemson and VPI would no longer be part of the rotation?
02-23-2022 01:58 PM
b2b Offline
Heisman

I Root For: My Family + ECU
The ACC schools still don't understand the importance of football. They remind me so much of the old Big East but they can't see it.
02-23-2022 02:01 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(02-23-2022 02:01 PM)b2b Wrote:  The ACC schools still don't understand the importance of football. They remind me so much of the old Big East but they can't see it.

You are what you eat!
02-23-2022 02:03 PM
b2b Offline
Heisman

(02-23-2022 02:03 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(02-23-2022 02:01 PM)b2b Wrote:  The ACC schools still don't understand the importance of football. They remind me so much of the old Big East but they can't see it.

You are what you eat!

Half Big East, half Old ACC, one non-FB member, split north/south, split public/private, split elite academic/Louisville. Don't dare point out all the conflicts of interests though. 03-shhhh
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2022 02:26 PM by b2b.)
02-23-2022 02:25 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-23-2022 01:58 PM)PeteTheChop Wrote:  
(02-23-2022 12:35 PM)XLance Wrote:  If that scenario develops JR, and Miami, FSU, Clemson and Virginia Tech head to the SEC and the B1G looks west then we will end up with 4 conferences not three.

An east coast league of GT, Carolina, NC State, Wake Forest, Duke, Syracuse, Pitt, Boston College, Louisville and Notre Dame could easily form and not affect the Big 12 and PAC leftovers.

1. So UNC would decline invites from both B1G and the SEC to remain in a depleted ACC (that certainly would generate way less media dollars than either of those two conferences)?

2. Would Notre Dame continue with the "affiliate membership" it currently enjoys knowing home-and-homes with the Canes, FSU, Clemson and VPI would no longer be part of the rotation?

In that scenario Carolina didn't get an invitation from either the SEC or the B1G, so they made the best of the situation they found themselves in.

If those ten schools got 4-5 games a year with Notre Dame they would be happy. An 9 game conference schedule playing a round robin would leave room for at least one game with one of the big conferences and a few money games.
It wouldn't be the biggest of the big time, but it would be better than anyone else that is not in the SEC or B1G.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2022 06:10 PM by XLance.)
02-23-2022 05:11 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

If the B1G went west I think they go with Kansas, Colorado, Washington, Oregon, USC, and UCLA/Utah.
If it were me, I'm not sure that I would want to deal with a California state school and Utah would be my pick for #6.
02-23-2022 05:20 PM
Gamenole Offline
All American

I Root For: S Carolina & Fla State
(02-23-2022 02:25 PM)b2b Wrote:  

You are what you eat!

Half Big East, half Old ACC, one non-FB member, split north/south, split public/private, split elite academic/Louisville. Don't dare point out all the conflicts of interests though. 03-shhhh

Half this, split that...and the whole rotting mess sucks. Frankenconference can't die soon enough, and I don't think we're going to have to wait the 5,241 days to 6/30/36.
02-23-2022 09:40 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(02-23-2022 09:40 PM)Gamenole Wrote:  
(02-23-2022 02:25 PM)b2b Wrote:  

You are what you eat!

Half this, split that...and the whole rotting mess sucks. Frankenconference can't die soon enough, and I don't think we're going to have to wait the 5,241 days to 6/30/36.

No you won't. They'll light the spark that ignites the noxious fumes in the ACC outhouse and crap will fly everywhere when the B1G media revenue shows a 40 million advantage like the SEC's. And don't think for a second that's an accident. Networks want this to happen.
02-23-2022 09:45 PM
SouthEastAlaska Offline
1st String

I Root For: UW
Thank you for posting the article, interesting read. Pretty much parrots what JR has been saying on this site for years so good on ya JR.

They dropped my thought on the PAC and Big12 forming a super conference, that's actually one step further than I take it but the point still stands, The PAC/Big12 becomes the tweener conference and the ACC gets eaten by the SEC and B1G.
02-23-2022 11:19 PM
otown Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
This is all very interesting. Sorry to nit pick, but I cannot see SEC taking Miami. Small private school, no on campus stadium, no real following in the state of Florida....heck even Miami doesn't care about them, no real fan support in stadium. Only thing they have is their name from 1 to 2 generations ago
02-24-2022 07:36 AM
Thiefery Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: TEXAS
(02-24-2022 07:36 AM)otown Wrote:  This is all very interesting. Sorry to nit pick, but I cannot see SEC taking Miami. Small private school, no on campus stadium, no real following in the state of Florida....heck even Miami doesn't care about them, no real fan support in stadium. Only thing they have is their name from 1 to 2 generations ago

is there a huge following with Vanderbilt? Huge following with Mizzu? Miami has a good baseball program too. Not saying that the SEC would take them over FSU or anything but, they have a legitimate case if they are afforded to make one.
02-24-2022 09:00 AM
otown Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
(02-24-2022 09:00 AM)Thiefery Wrote:  
(02-24-2022 07:36 AM)otown Wrote:  This is all very interesting. Sorry to nit pick, but I cannot see SEC taking Miami. Small private school, no on campus stadium, no real following in the state of Florida....heck even Miami doesn't care about them, no real fan support in stadium. Only thing they have is their name from 1 to 2 generations ago

is there a huge following with Vanderbilt? Huge following with Mizzu? Miami has a good baseball program too. Not saying that the SEC would take them over FSU or anything but, they have a legitimate case if they are afforded to make one.

Absolutely not. You think the SEC wants Vandy even now? They are a moocher........... bring no monetary value to the SEC, but they have been with them since the beginning. If you put Vandy in any other conference.....there is no possible way they would be considered now days for the SEC.

So for all the boxes miami does NOT check, we have to use their baseball program as a plus to get into the SEC? Dream on.......
02-24-2022 09:10 AM
Advertisement

XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

Miami turned down the SEC once, you wonder if they have changed their minds?

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-...story.html
Miami Decides Against Joining the SEC : College football: School says it will still consider membership in Big East or ACC.
02-24-2022 09:11 AM
Gamenole Offline
All American

I Root For: S Carolina & Fla State
(02-24-2022 09:11 AM)XLance Wrote:  

Miami turned down the SEC once, you wonder if they have changed their minds?

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-...story.html
Miami Decides Against Joining the SEC : College football: School says it will still consider membership in Big East or ACC.

Like FSU, Miami made a terrible choice long ago and is still dealing with the consequences. I hope we can always continue the FSU-Miami series, but I think Miami is a better fit for the B1G and I hope that's where they end up.
02-24-2022 10:51 AM
b2b Offline
Heisman

Yeah maybe but they've still got a big brand name for TV and possibly the richest area of the country for football recruiting.
02-24-2022 11:27 AM
Wahoowa84 Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa
What I get out of this article is that the B1G is financially positioned to make a major move into southern universities. There are lots of recruits in Florida, Georgia, Carolinas and Virginia. There are also many universities that fit the B1G mold.

IMO, expansion still doesn’t make sense for the SEC. ESPN probably loses value by allowing ACC schools into the SEC.
02-24-2022 01:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.