WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Extension, Bates
WMU2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU
Extension, Bates
Heard from a few people that are in the know is Bartholomae is impressed with the job Bates has done with the team so far. So, prepare for Bates to get a 2-3 extension. Honestly I am not surprised by this news, we need some stability for this program even though we did lose to Saginaw Valley St.

Thoughts?
02-15-2022 10:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Broncos83 Offline
All American

RE: Extension, Bates
I like Coach Bates but just not sure this is the right move. All I can do is cross my fingers and hope for the best.
02-15-2022 10:36 PM
wmubroncopilot Offline
Heisman

I'm fine with this, I want to see what Bates can do with this impressive recruiting and letting him go now risks blowing that up.
02-16-2022 12:06 AM
ElFanatico Offline
1st String

I Root For: David Kool 3's
I'm on the fence. He's had two hapless seasons. The team is starting to get it going now. His recruiting class seems promising.
His existing contract runs through the end of next season right?

I'd say give him a one year extension now and kick this can to next year and see if the team actually progresses or whether we have another single digit win season, cut him loose and go outside the program for the next hire.
02-16-2022 12:23 AM
okgc Offline
Heisman

I am TOTALLY in agreement with contract extension for Clayton.
A vote of confidence from AD is especially needed to help staff finish out this years recruiting.

I hear coaching staffs from other programs and friends of recruits are using negative comments from Stampede to encourage players to not attend WMU.
02-16-2022 05:22 AM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
I would've liked to see more improvement this year. 2 years is probably fine w/ expectation at least at .500 the 2nd year of that extension.
02-16-2022 08:03 AM
Advertisement

okgc Offline
Heisman

I like the idea of 2-3 year extension contract like Tim Lester’s.

Include in contract X amount of wins gives Clayton another year.
02-16-2022 08:58 AM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-16-2022 05:22 AM)okgc Wrote:  I hear coaching staffs from other programs and friends of recruits are using negative comments from Stampede to encourage players to not attend WMU.

Pretty remarkable if coaching staffs are using comments from 4 or 5 bummed message board posters on the recruiting trail.

And the comments have been tame considering the W-L records over the past few years. No "Fire Bates" threads. No obnoxious ripping on individual players like we see on most other boards. Shoot, I can probably go to MSU's board right now and see harsher comments after their one upset loss last night.
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2022 09:10 AM by Motown Bronco.)
02-16-2022 09:10 AM
flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

These responses terrify me.

Bates hasn’t done anything for this program. His winning percentage over the last two years must be setting the low bar mark. Everyone wanting to “give him a chance” are just wishful thinking. Players love him sure…. But the same players are continuing to show no improvement. Sure… Wion a couple…. But did you watch them? WMU has NO offense. None. They turn the ball over like it’s their job and they live on the other team shooting worse than they do.

Bates needs to go.
02-18-2022 07:54 PM
wmubroncopilot Offline
Heisman

(02-16-2022 05:22 AM)okgc Wrote:  I am TOTALLY in agreement with contract extension for Clayton.
A vote of confidence from AD is especially needed to help staff finish out this years recruiting.

I hear coaching staffs from other programs and friends of recruits are using negative comments from Stampede to encourage players to not attend WMU.

LOL. If they need to reach that hard to recruit against WMU (instead of just, you know, pointing out our W-L record), I feel pretty good about the caliber of coaching we're up against.
02-18-2022 08:11 PM
Nacho Online
Heisman

(02-16-2022 05:22 AM)okgc Wrote:  I am TOTALLY in agreement with contract extension for Clayton.

Wow I am honored.
02-18-2022 08:32 PM
Advertisement

okgc Offline
Heisman

(02-18-2022 07:54 PM)flushtheherd Wrote:  These responses terrify me.

Bates hasn’t done anything for this program. His winning percentage over the last two years must be setting the low bar mark. Everyone wanting to “give him a chance” are just wishful thinking. Players love him sure…. But the same players are continuing to show no improvement. Sure… Wion a couple…. But did you watch them? WMU has NO offense. None. They turn the ball over like it’s their job and they live on the other team shooting worse than they do.

Bates needs to go.

Bates has already SIGNED the BEST incoming recruit class in WMU basketball history including the highest rated recruit ever for WMU basketball. Two players both in the running for Michigan Mr Basketball Last I saw 62nd best in USA with only those two players. Almost every program higher has signed 3 or more.

If JH 4 star rating had not dropped for not signing with P5 program class would be rated even higher.

Clayton needs a vote of confidence from AD to finish out this recruiting.
02-19-2022 11:46 AM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
(02-19-2022 11:46 AM)okgc Wrote:  

Bates needs to go.

Bates has already SIGNED the BEST incoming recruit class in WMU basketball history including the highest rated recruit ever for WMU basketball. Two players both in the running for Michigan Mr Basketball Last I saw 62nd best in USA with only those two players. Almost every program higher has signed 3 or more.

If JH 4 star rating had not dropped for not signing with P5 program class would be rated even higher.

If the recruiting is great, I expect better results. His results have been abysmal so far and the glacial pace of improvement in this team this season has been maddening. In fairness to Bates, the covid restrictions had to have hampered him some - BUT other teams were dealing with the same things.

I'm open to a two year extension but we need to see progress. If we blow it all up, then we are taking two steps backwards and have to start all over. Rome wasn't built in a day. While everybody says he is a good man I want to know if he truly is HC material. Plenty of examples of guys who were great assistants but bombed out as a HC. While recruiting is the lifeblood of your program, having great recruits playing for a mediocre coach does not a great program make. Give him enough time to show us.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2022 02:35 PM by MileHighBronco.)
02-19-2022 02:33 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-19-2022 11:46 AM)okgc Wrote:  

Bates needs to go.

That's great and gives hope, and I'm impressed (and curious) how he pulled that off.

Feels like Fleck 2013. Probably the worst football season in program history, loses to a bad FCS team, then hauls in one of our highest rated classes. Except Fleck was Fleck, a special brand of charisma/car salesman.
02-22-2022 09:48 PM
okgc Offline
Heisman

Many posting here have very very short memories.

Steve Hawkins in his 16th year at WMU only won TWO MAC games.
02-23-2022 06:27 PM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
(02-23-2022 06:27 PM)okgc Wrote:  Many posting here have very very short memories.

Steve Hawkins in his 16th year at WMU only won TWO MAC games.

Program was heading downward at end of Hawkins' tenure.

Hopefully it's now hit bottom (can't get worse).

Especially after COVID season Bates needs couple more years to try to dig out-rebuild.
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2022 09:27 AM by MajorHoople.)
02-24-2022 08:18 AM
Advertisement

ElFanatico Offline
1st String

I Root For: David Kool 3's
I think this team is showing late season progress. They don't look nearly as listless as they did in December and January. I'm still thinking you give him a 1 year extension to prove out this progress and show what his recruits can do.
02-27-2022 12:19 PM
wmutkelaw Offline

I Root For: WMU and VALPO
(02-15-2022 10:09 PM)WMU2013 Wrote:  Heard from a few people that are in the know is Bartholomae is impressed with the job Bates has done with the team so far. So, prepare for Bates to get a 2-3 extension. Honestly I am not surprised by this news, we need some stability for this program even though we did lose to Saginaw Valley St.

Thoughts?

Question your sources. Lol. Actually, more than likely there was some fire to your rumor’s smoke…then the Toledo homecourt beat down…on 2/22/22 happened. Timing is everything.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2022 01:48 PM by wmutkelaw.)
03-07-2022 01:47 PM
Liam9903 Offline
Field Marshal

I Root For: WesternMichigan
(02-15-2022 10:09 PM)WMU2013 Wrote:  Heard from a few people that are in the know is Bartholomae is impressed with the job Bates has done with the team so far. So, prepare for Bates to get a 2-3 extension. Honestly I am not surprised by this news, we need some stability for this program even though we did lose to Saginaw Valley St.

Thoughts?

I think your sources are inflating their insider knowledge
03-07-2022 02:58 PM
WMU2013 Offline
All American

(03-07-2022 02:58 PM)Liam9903 Wrote:  

Thoughts?

I think your sources are inflating their insider knowledge

Yep. Pretty bad.
03-07-2022 03:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.