Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Who has the biggest right to complain? AAC edition
Bookmark and Share
Eagle in the gym Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
Who has the biggest right to complain? AAC edition
1. ECU: they now have UNCC as the only rival in close proximity. Life comes as you fast.
2. Memphis: how did they not get to move up with the others?
3. SMU: head and shoulders above their new Texas conference mates. Like ECU, now forced to be rivals with nobodies.
02-07-2022 09:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

sdcritter Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
RE: Who has the biggest right to complain? AAC edition
Screw Memphis. They deserve every indignity they receive.
02-07-2022 09:25 PM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
Id say Memphis. NCAA basketball championship appearance in the last 15 years, NY6 appearance a few years ago.
02-07-2022 09:26 PM
Reggie Favre Offline
All American

I would like to play Memphis and ECU and wouldnt mind spanking SMU again. But I have zero sympathy for any of them. Hope they have fun with those garbage programs joining them from their former conference and I look forward to watching them all become a CUSA caliber team again.

[Image: 5dd2538059817497a20c74d1366ec1c0.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2022 09:43 PM by Reggie Favre.)
02-07-2022 09:39 PM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
Memphis without a doubt.

Multiple Top 25 finishes in football, a Cotton Bowl bid, one of the historically best basketball programs in college basketball.

And now they're exchanging their peer rivals Houston, UCF, and Cincinnati for North Texas, Florida Atlantic, and UNC-Charlotte... whom Memphis has very little history with and probably doesn't want a history with.
02-07-2022 10:20 PM
HerdFanGuest Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Marshall
Memphis is definitely taking the biggest hit here
02-07-2022 10:27 PM
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(02-07-2022 09:26 PM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  Id say Memphis. NCAA basketball championship appearance in the last 15 years, NY6 appearance a few years ago.

Officially they’ve not been to the Final Four since 1973.
02-07-2022 10:28 PM
GEAUX UL Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: LOUISIANA
(02-07-2022 09:03 PM)Eagle in the gym Wrote:  1. ECU: they now have UNCC as the only rival in close proximity. Life comes as you fast.
3. SMU: head and shoulders above their new Texas conference mates. Like ECU, now forced to be rivals with nobodies.

It is funny that a Southern Miss fan mentions these school when I've always felt like y'all have more right to complain than anyone. From the 90's to the 2010's C-USA was one hell of a conference and y'all were arguably the best football school in it. And every damn time y'all got left behind over some other crappy school in a bigger market.

We got left behind too, but at least the Sun Belt never fell too far and eventually started to improve. It must eat y'all up inside knowing y'all used to be in a conference with Louisville, Cincinnati, Memphis, TCU, Houston, etc.
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2022 10:30 PM by GEAUX UL.)
02-07-2022 10:29 PM
Porcine Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas, SBC
I wonder what Wichita State is thinking.
02-07-2022 10:38 PM
Porcine Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas, SBC
(02-07-2022 10:29 PM)GEAUX UL Wrote:  
(02-07-2022 09:03 PM)Eagle in the gym Wrote:  1. ECU: they now have UNCC as the only rival in close proximity. Life comes as you fast.

It is funny that a Southern Miss fan mentions these school when I've always felt like y'all have more right to complain than anyone. From the 90's to the 2010's C-USA was one hell of a conference and y'all were arguably the best football school in it. And every damn time y'all got left behind over some other crappy school in a bigger market.

We got left behind too, but at least the Sun Belt never fell too far and eventually started to improve. It must eat y'all up inside knowing y'all used to be in a conference with Louisville, Cincinnati, Memphis, TCU, Houston, etc.
Those schools always had one foot out the door.
02-07-2022 10:41 PM
Reggie Favre Offline
All American

(02-07-2022 10:29 PM)GEAUX UL Wrote:  

No it doesnt. It sux more that we didnt move with them to the AAC and get the benefits of that. Long hall may work out best for us. Its not a good time to be in the AAC right now. Id rather be in the SBC than the AAC.

And to be honest, USM looked down at ALL those schools when CUSA was formed. Was nothing exciting about being in a conference with ANY of them. However, as soon as we started to develop a rivalry with any of them, one (or more) would leave.

What sucked, was when the Metro split up and we werent playing Florida St, Virginia Tech, and South Carolina. Having a history with UL, Memphis, Cincy and Tulane from the Metro was good for us in CUSA but none were near our class/level of success in football at the time. Nor were they when they left CUSA for the AAC. My, how things have changed. Give us another year or two though.

* Im speaking from a football angle. Had one hell of a basketball conference.
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2022 11:23 PM by Reggie Favre.)
02-07-2022 11:19 PM
Advertisement

HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

They made their bed. They can lie in it.

More power to the few and far between who eventually reach the ever-moving finish line, but there's going to be a lot of schools in the coming years regretting how much money & effort they wasted chasing a mirage.
02-07-2022 11:27 PM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
(02-07-2022 10:38 PM)Porcine Wrote:  I wonder what Wichita State is thinking.

There is probably some form of regret that they left the MVC.

In basketball, the new AAC is going to fall so far back from where it was. It's not an ideal situation for Memphis, Wichita State, Temple, and SMU.

Reality is going to set in hard when UTSA, FAU, Charlotte, and Rice begin to drop the NET ratings like a rock across the AAC.
02-08-2022 12:03 AM
TheMackAttack Offline
2nd String

I Root For: App State
Honestly, I think Temple has the biggest right to complain. Memphis is at least centrally located and can take solace in the fact that they are the next man up, so to speak. Temple is on an island geographically with no natural rivals, no culturally similar institutions, and no history whatsoever with any conference mates. Temple joined a league with Rutgers, UConn, Louisville, and Cincinnati which is a relatively compact little division of urban schools and all but Rutgers have a solid basketball tradition. Now they have ECU as the closest school in their division. Yikes.
02-08-2022 01:19 AM
Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison Dukes
ECU/Memphis fans can't be excited about the recent AAC developments

I think Memphis believes they will be on the next bus to the Big12 but for how long can they hold on?

toss up
02-08-2022 07:32 AM
FairwayEagle Offline
1st String

ECU finally got what they wanted for years in 2013 and now they’re getting it good and hard. They always had one eye out for the Big East when they were in CUSA, practically begging for a move. They didn’t even pretend otherwise.
02-08-2022 07:37 AM
Advertisement

gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
Imagine those schools going to the AAC is going to be the next UCF and Cin... Sorry I started laughing and couldn't finish my sentence.. I'm not saying USM will ever be either of those... But...
02-08-2022 08:13 AM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
Memphis and SMU. SMU is a former SWC team and the only one that is now left behind.
02-08-2022 10:25 AM
hotrod2001 Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State

Memphis has been told openly that their facilities are inadequate for a jump to a P5 conference.
02-08-2022 10:45 AM
usm99 Offline
Heisman

(02-08-2022 07:32 AM)Purplehazed Wrote:  ECU/Memphis fans can't be excited about the recent AAC developments

I think Memphis believes they will be on the next bus to the Big12 but for how long can they hold on?

toss up

Toss up to me too. The one positive if there is one for Memphis is at least they are gaining a past/close rival in UAB. They had some fierce basketball games in their CUSA days together. ECU lost (or will lose) Cincinnati and UCF who were their biggest and most well known opponents and picks up Charlotte and FAU among others....as well as they are picking up CUSA-Texas (Rice, UNT, UTSA) which will probably eliminate quite a few road trips for their fans
02-08-2022 10:59 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.