Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Fire Patrick Ewing and Jack DeGioia
Bookmark and Share
VCE Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tradition
Fire Patrick Ewing and Jack DeGioia
Horrible coach who can’t do more than shout rebound and then throw his players under the bus in post game pressers. And what a horrible decision by the admin in the first place after witnessing the Mullin experiment at ST Johns.

For the first time in what seems like five years, he did some student outreach today. Too little and too late.
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2022 01:01 AM by VCE.)
02-04-2022 11:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
RE: Since DFWHoya won’t allow such on Hoyatalk, Fire Patrick Ewing
(02-04-2022 11:10 PM)VCE Wrote:  Horrible coach who can’t do more than shout rebound and then throw his players under the bus in post game pressers. And what a horrible decision by the admin in the first place after witnessing the Mullin experiment at ST Johns.

For the first time in what seems like five years, he did some student outreach today. Too little and too late.

I'll be curious to see if Big Pat survives after this season. It has been a disaster.

If Ewing is blaming his players when, in fact, he should be looking in the mirror ... bad (I saw Kevin Stallings do that a good bit when he coached at Vanderbilt).

This is Ewing's fifth season. He likely will be dismissed.

As a casual fan of Georgetown and a long-time fan of Memphis, I can say the Ewing and Penny Hardaway experiments have not been successful. However, I think Hardaway (now in Season 4) will get at least one more season.
02-05-2022 09:08 AM
stever20 Online
Legend

I Root For: Sports
what i'm afraid is going to happen is they'll pick up a few wins here and the Georgetown Admin just chalk this year up to COVID.
02-05-2022 11:31 AM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
I think the writing is on the wall that Ewing and Georgetown will make a mutual separation after the season concludes. Even with some unexpected wins late, ticket sales are as bad as they were under Craig Esherick, if not worse. Ewing has a worse coaching record than Esherick, owning a .329 winning percentage in BE play over five years. It is very unfortunate because Georgetown loves Ewing, and Ewing loves Georgetown, and both love the Thompson Family. However, both parties are suffering. It would be in the best interest for both to step away. Ewing will always be held in high regard at Georgetown - that will never go anywhere. He should really go back to the NBA and be an assistant, which is what he excelled at.

Georgetown, not unlike Marquette, Houston (prior to Sampson's hire), or other past high-level programs that have fallen with the wrong coaching hires, is simply one hire away from returning itself to a perennial top-25 program annually. Georgetown remains an elite basketball brand, located in a rich recruiting area that can also recruit nationally, and has a strong and passionate fan base. With the right coach, it can quickly return to prominence. Just like Marquette and Houston, who both gambled on coaches that had been pushed out from other schools, Georgetown would be wise to consider a Chris Mack or a Sean Miller, two coaches that excelled previously at other Jesuit schools, and let them take the Hoyas into a new era for basketball.

I just hope whenever Ewing and Georgetown separate, it is not on bad terms.
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2022 12:20 PM by GoldenWarrior11.)
02-05-2022 12:19 PM
stever20 Online
Legend

(02-05-2022 12:19 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  I think the writing is on the wall that Ewing and Georgetown will make a mutual separation after the season concludes. Even with some unexpected wins late, ticket sales are as bad as they were under Craig Esherick, if not worse. Ewing has a worse coaching record than Esherick, owning a .329 winning percentage in BE play over five years. It is very unfortunate because Georgetown loves Ewing, and Ewing loves Georgetown, and both love the Thompson Family. However, both parties are suffering. It would be in the best interest for both to step away. Ewing will always be held in high regard at Georgetown - that will never go anywhere. He should really go back to the NBA and be an assistant, which is what he excelled at.

Georgetown, not unlike Marquette, Houston (prior to Sampson's hire), or other past high-level programs that have fallen with the wrong coaching hires, is simply one hire away from returning itself to a perennial top-25 program annually. Georgetown remains an elite basketball brand, located in a rich recruiting area that can also recruit nationally, and has a strong and passionate fan base. With the right coach, it can quickly return to prominence. Just like Marquette and Houston, who both gambled on coaches that had been pushed out from other schools, Georgetown would be wise to consider a Chris Mack or a Sean Miller, two coaches that excelled previously at other Jesuit schools, and let them take the Hoyas into a new era for basketball.

I thought it was interesting on the Chris Mack twitter page he says he's retired. Now how many times have we seen a guy say they're retired come back? a lot. But it's still interesting.
02-05-2022 12:39 PM
VCE Offline
1st String

(02-05-2022 09:08 AM)bill dazzle Wrote:  
(02-04-2022 11:10 PM)VCE Wrote:  Horrible coach who can’t do more than shout rebound and then throw his players under the bus in post game pressers. And what a horrible decision by the admin in the first place after witnessing the Mullin experiment at ST Johns.

I'll be curious to see if Big Pat survives after this season. It has been a disaster.

If Ewing is blaming his players when, in fact, he should be looking in the mirror ... bad (I saw Kevin Stallings do that a good bit when he coached at Vanderbilt).

This is Ewing's fifth season. He likely will be dismissed.

As a casual fan of Georgetown and a long-time fan of Memphis, I can say the Ewing and Penny Hardaway experiments have not been successful. However, I think Hardaway (now in Season 4) will get at least one more season.

Ewing has been laying blame upon the team/players for weeks now. They’re just not executing.... l think it was a couple games ago where he called out by name an underclassman.

It is year five, but he’s on a six year contract and, well he’s Patrick effing Ewing.

I think we could share a whiskey or more of woe is me given the state of our programs. But you’d have to pick one, haha
02-05-2022 11:43 PM
Advertisement

VCE Offline
1st String

(02-05-2022 11:31 AM)stever20 Wrote:  what i'm afraid is going to happen is they'll pick up a few wins here and the Georgetown Admin just chalk this year up to COVID.

You’re from the DMV, no? You understand how GU operates. Half of our fanbase is already using the Wuhan Flu as an excuse. If they fire Ewing, the strong tendency will be to hire Ronny or cuse grad Orr. Keep it in the family!
02-05-2022 11:46 PM
VCE Offline
1st String

(02-05-2022 12:19 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  I think the writing is on the wall that Ewing and Georgetown will make a mutual separation after the season concludes. Even with some unexpected wins late, ticket sales are as bad as they were under Craig Esherick, if not worse. Ewing has a worse coaching record than Esherick, owning a .329 winning percentage in BE play over five years. It is very unfortunate because Georgetown loves Ewing, and Ewing loves Georgetown, and both love the Thompson Family. However, both parties are suffering. It would be in the best interest for both to step away. Ewing will always be held in high regard at Georgetown - that will never go anywhere. He should really go back to the NBA and be an assistant, which is what he excelled at.

Mack or Pitino would be interesting candidates, but I’m not certain that the university has held to Catholic virtues like forgiveness for the past several decades.
02-05-2022 11:50 PM
stever20 Online
Legend

Another dismal showing today. Now #203 in KP within range of being worst Big East team since the split at 211(2016 St John's). And actually since 2006- worst KP teams:
183 2008 Rutgers
183 2014 DePaul
183 2016 DePaul
183 2017 DePaul
197 2011 DePaul
206 2009 DePaul
208 2007 Rutgers
211 2016 St John's
02-06-2022 03:34 PM
VCE Offline
1st String

Another stellar coaching job. The defenders blame covid and the high number of games leading to fatigue, but it’s not like other teams haven’t had the same issue. And if our players are so fatigued, what are we doing pressing with under a minute down 19?
02-06-2022 04:24 PM
stever20 Online
Legend

1 thing that would be really bad is if Maryland got a new coach who fixed things quickly a la Shaka Smart and what he did at Marquette. DMV area is prime for the taking.
02-06-2022 04:36 PM
Advertisement

VCE Offline
1st String

Ewing as quoted in the Post.

Quote: “We just have to keep working,” Ewing said. “We have to keep them positive, show them the mistakes that they make. They can’t get into their feelings when we show it to them, and we have to make a change. We’re only going to win when everybody in that room decides whatever we’re doing right now is not working.”

Zero accountability on his part.
02-06-2022 06:18 PM
stever20 Online
Legend

(02-06-2022 06:18 PM)VCE Wrote:  Ewing as quoted in the Post.

Quote: “We just have to keep working,” Ewing said. “We have to keep them positive, show them the mistakes that they make. They can’t get into their feelings when we show it to them, and we have to make a change. We’re only going to win when everybody in that room decides whatever we’re doing right now is not working.”

sounds like a guy who thinks he's totally untouchable.
02-06-2022 06:48 PM
VCE Offline
1st String

(02-06-2022 06:48 PM)stever20 Wrote:  

I agree. And the sad thing is that it might be the case. I’ve talked to two people who in the past have had inside information and they gave conflicting answers.
02-06-2022 07:19 PM
VCE Offline
1st String

I find it odd that my email inbox gets at least one email a week from state U from whom I’ve purchased tickets a couple times. They are positive, not annoying encounters.

Georgetown is rotten to the core. And that extends to its enablers on the internet.
02-07-2022 03:15 AM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

(02-06-2022 04:36 PM)stever20 Wrote:  1 thing that would be really bad is if Maryland got a new coach who fixed things quickly a la Shaka Smart and what he did at Marquette. DMV area is prime for the taking.

The new name being floated for Maryland is Andy Enfield, who is originally from that area. That would be a strong hire for them, IMO.
02-07-2022 10:35 AM
Advertisement

GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

(02-06-2022 07:19 PM)VCE Wrote:  

I agree. And the sad thing is that it might be the case. I’ve talked to two people who in the past have had inside information and they gave conflicting answers.

A year ago, I was personally convinced that Marquette would fire Wojo. However, a vocal group of MU fans on our boards became very defensive and abrasive to anyone that floated such an idea.

"The school cannot afford his buyout."

"He made three (not two, as officially recognized) NCAA Tournaments."

"He was left nothing from Buzz - it takes five years to judge a coach's impact on a program."

"We are in COVID. All universities are being hit hard by financial losses. We aren't adding to that by buying out Wojo and hiring a new staff."

"Who can we get that is better."

"We have a strong recruiting class coming in. If we fire him, we lose that class."

Whatever the defensive response was, that was a strong pushback that the university would not, or could not, fire Wojo. A remarkable sense of apathy had set in, not to mention a complete lack of awareness of what could, or should, have been done.

At the end of the day, the on-court results are one component. However, look no further than what the attendance and fan support metrics say (or don't say) about a program: fans are not showing up to Hoyas games anymore (because of the low levels the program have reached). The ones that do come aren't speaking positively about the direction of the program. And, the ones that give money to the program and school are likely not pleased that Georgetown has become the dumpster fire of the Big East.

To the Hoya fans that believe no change will occur - have faith in the process and trust for financially responsible decisions to be made. When Basketball is competing at a high level, Georgetown reaps the rewards. When it doesn't, it is lost opportunity.

I'm confident that Georgetown will be looking at a new coach this Spring. And I continue to think there will be an amicable separation between the two parties.
02-07-2022 10:43 AM
VCE Offline
1st String

(02-07-2022 10:43 AM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  
(02-06-2022 07:19 PM)VCE Wrote:  

A year ago, I was personally convinced that Marquette would fire Wojo. However, a vocal group of MU fans on our boards became very defensive and abrasive to anyone that floated such an idea.

"The school cannot afford his buyout."

"He made three (not two, as officially recognized) NCAA Tournaments."

"He was left nothing from Buzz - it takes five years to judge a coach's impact on a program."

"We are in COVID. All universities are being hit hard by financial losses. We aren't adding to that by buying out Wojo and hiring a new staff."

"Who can we get that is better."

"We have a strong recruiting class coming in. If we fire him, we lose that class."

Whatever the defensive response was, that was a strong pushback that the university would not, or could not, fire Wojo. A remarkable sense of apathy had set in, not to mention a complete lack of awareness of what could, or should, have been done.

At the end of the day, the on-court results are one component. However, look no further than what the attendance and fan support metrics say (or don't say) about a program: fans are not showing up to Hoyas games anymore (because of the low levels the program have reached). The ones that do come aren't speaking positively about the direction of the program. And, the ones that give money to the program and school are likely not pleased that Georgetown has become the dumpster fire of the Big East.

To the Hoya fans that believe no change will occur - have faith in the process and trust for financially responsible decisions to be made. When Basketball is competing at a high level, Georgetown reaps the rewards. When it doesn't, it is lost opportunity.

I'm confident that Georgetown will be looking at a new coach this Spring. And I continue to think there will be an amicable separation between the two parties.

The Smart and Hurley experiments have certainly killed much of the pro Ewing, give it more time narrative. I’ve always liked Shaka and I’m glad he’s in the league. Hurley always belonged in the Big East and I’m happy he’s at a school I like to root against.
02-07-2022 10:54 AM
VCE Offline
1st String

Quote: In Ewing’s fifth season, the Hoyas are clearly the worst team in the Big East, suffering through one of the uglier winters in the program’s 115-year history. They may not win double-digit games for the first time since the 1971-72 season. They are 0-10 in conference play, dropping those 10 contests by an average of 13.5 points, and 6-15 overall. They are ranked 206 by KenPom. That would be the sixth-best ranking in the MAAC.

This year was always going to be a step back, even had Wahab returned and King produced. Georgetown was rebuilding with a top-20 recruiting class. But even more has been asked of the building blocks of that class, five-star guard Aminu Mohammed and four-star center Ryan Mutombo, and the duo have not lived up to expectations. Muhammed, in particular, has struggled in the Big East, averaging 12.4 points on 38.1 percent shooting. This team is last in the Big East in field-goal percentage, last in field -goal percentage defense and last in scoring margin.

https://nypost.com/2022/02/07/it-may-be-...ick-ewing/

Oof
02-07-2022 10:57 AM
bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC

Sounds like something Penny Hardaway would say. Neither Penny nor Big Pat want to take any blame. It's never their fault. Pathetic.

The disturbing thing for Georgetown is that Hardaway, compared to Ewing, has achieved Coach K level of success in terms of wins, attendance and recruiting. Both are mediocre (if that) game coaches and communicators/motivators.
02-07-2022 12:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.