Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Possible Expansion in Florida?
Bookmark and Share
rtist Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NMSU & UAA
Possible Expansion in Florida?
This will be a bit of an unusual thread, but I've not seen the idea explored until now. With that in mind, take this with a grain of salt.

With regard to C-USA, I've been a proponent in expansion in Texas or in an untapped area (Arkansas or Missouri) but I suspect we may need to go to 12 to achieve stability. Others have suggested expansion in Georgia via Kennesaw State; if we went to 12, I could get on board with that idea.

However, there is another State in the C-USA footprint with an enormous population that would justify another school being included. That state is Florida. It's population is booming, which means more potential viewership if we were to expand there.

Now, on other threads, we talked about Florida A&M making a move. Personally, I can't see them doing that now that they are comfortably in the SWAC. Bethune-Cookman is also comfortable in the SWAC and would not likely covet a move. However, there is another school in Florida that plays football at the FCS level that we have not talked about yet. That school is a private institution (meaning they may have the money to upgrade) and would be based in Central Florida. I'm referring to Stetson University.

They currently are members of the Pioneer Football League for football and the ASUN for almost all their other sports (women's rowing competes in the MAAC). Granted, the facilities need improvement, but Orlando isn't far away for an interim period of play. If Stetson wanted to play FBS football, I suspect they might be able to pull it off.

Does this make any sense, or am I as mad as a hatter for suggesting this?
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2022 07:20 PM by rtist.)
02-02-2022 04:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
RE: Possible Expansion in Florida?
(02-02-2022 04:19 AM)rtist Wrote:  This will be a bit of an unusual thread, but I've not seen it explored until now. With that in mind, take this idea with a grain of salt.

With regard to C-USA, I've been a proponent in expansion in Texas or in an untapped area (Arkansas or Missouri) but I suspect we may need to go to 12 to achieve stability. Others have suggested expansion in Georgia via Kennesaw State; if we went to 12, I could get on board with that idea.

However, there is another State in the C-USA footprint with an enormous population that would justify another school being included. That State is Florida. It's population is booming, which means more potential viewership if we were to expand there.

Now, on other threads, we talked about Florida A&M making a move. Personally, I can't see them doing that now that they are comfortably in the SWAC. Bethune-Cookman is also comfortable in the SWAC and would not likely cover a move. However, there is another school in Florida that plays football at the FCS level that we have not talked about yet. That school is a private institution (meaning they may have the money to upgrade) and would be based in Central Florida. I'm referring to Stetson University.

They currently are members of the Pioneer Football League for football and the ASUN for almost all their other sports (women's rowing competes in the MAAC). Granted, the facilities need improvement, but Orlando isn't far away for an interim period of play. If Stetson wanted to play FBS football, I suspect they might be able to pull it off.

Does this make any sense, or am I as mad as a hatter for suggesting this?

Stetson football is in the Pioneer league which is fcs but a non scholarship league. They have an enrollment of only 3k. As an olympic sports affiliate, maybe but I just don't see them ever going fbs.
02-02-2022 08:08 AM
inutech Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
I don't believe I'd be interested in Stetson joining CUSA.

I wouldn't mind a Stetson hat, although I don't think I'd wear it very often.
02-02-2022 09:34 AM
Advertisement

whupemall Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Jax State
Stetson is a very good fit in the ASUN/Pioneer.

I don't see FBS in their future.

Honestly, the only Florida team I could see as a CUSA candidate would be FGCU, and that, of course, would require them adding football.

UWF could potentially be there someday as well, but they're still D-II. We're talking 10-15 years from now before they're ready for FBS.

UWF's conference mate Valdosta State is located in Georgia, but might as well be in Florida (only ~25 miles from the state line). Like UWF, they could someday be a candidate, but only years (even decades) from now.

Both UWF and VSU are often mentioned as candidates for the ASUN. UWF appeared to be all-in on an eventual move up to FCS (possibly continuing on to FBS) until Covid happened.

VSU really enjoys being a big fish in a tiny, ever-shrinking pond in D-II, and as yet, has publicly expressed very little interest in moving up to FCS, let alone FBS. I'd still rank them ahead of Stetson when it comes to CUSA chances. But in both cases, those chances are pretty close to zero.
02-02-2022 10:18 AM
rtist Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NMSU & UAA
(02-02-2022 10:18 AM)whupemall Wrote:  Stetson is a very good fit in the ASUN/Pioneer.

I don't see FBS in their future.

Honestly, the only Florida team I could see as a CUSA candidate would be FGCU, and that, of course, would require them adding football.

UWF could potentially be there someday as well, but they're still D-II. We're talking 10-15 years from now before they're ready for FBS.

UWF's conference mate Valdosta State is located in Georgia, but might as well be in Florida (only ~25 miles from the state line). Like UWF, they could someday be a candidate, but only years (even decades) from now.

Both UWF and VSU are often mentioned as candidates for the ASUN. UWF appeared to be all-in on an eventual move up to FCS (possibly continuing on to FBS) until Covid happened.

VSU really enjoys being a big fish in a tiny, ever-shrinking pond in D-II, and as yet, has publicly expressed very little interest in moving up to FCS, let alone FBS. I'd still rank them ahead of Stetson when it comes to CUSA chances. But in both cases, those chances are pretty close to zero.

This is why I didn't suggest West Florida or Valdosta State.

I thought that Stetson could be the school like Vanderbilt, Tulane, Northwestern, or Wake Forest: a smaller private school that could punch above its weight. Maybe that is possible on paper, but I grant that Stetson has issues. Still thought it deserved its own thread, though.
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2022 06:27 PM by rtist.)
02-02-2022 11:23 AM
Advertisement

SlyFox Online
1st String

I Root For: Liberty
Stetson is barely able to survive at Pioneer League level. And honestly I could see them following the path of nearby ASUN rival Jacksonville by dropping football altogether.

FGCU is really the only school in the Sunshine State worthy of any consideration and that would be as a travel partner for FIU. They have consistently downplayed football as a possibility even after the heady days of Dunk City.
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2022 12:16 PM by SlyFox.)
02-02-2022 11:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
eku05 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: EKU & U of L
Stetson is likely to stay exactly where they are, but there are much greater chances of them eventually dropping football altogether than there are chances of them going FBS. Even among teams in the non-scholarship Pioneer League they'd be among the lesser likely to do something like that.
02-02-2022 12:03 PM
Advertisement

JJOHN368 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Kennesaw State/ Liberty
Very interesting discussion topic. This is a very educated group on the makeup and dynamics of college football, that are on these boards so I am excited to see the responses to what I chime in on this topic. As we all know, Florida is a very lucrative football market, but all the big schools are already either in Power 5 Conferences or Group of 5, so they are obviously not going to CUSA (Central Florida will be an interesting anomaly to watch going to Big 12). That being said, West Florida is definitely the best school out of the bunch if CUSA decides to look into Florida. They have had some great success in DII football and show a lot of promise. However, I do not see them having the ability (on the multiple fronts it takes to make that leap), to go form DII to FBS. Therefore, I really think WFU (if they are wanting to move out of DII), should make a push for the ASUN vacancies. I believe that it would strengthen the ASUN conference significantly, allow WFU to make the gradual improvements and advancements to their athletic department/football program for sustainable growth, and allow them to build their recruiting base by playing a a very competitive conference with both very old/established programs (like EKU and UCA) and FCS powers like Kennesaw State (I am not trying to be biased). I think WFU has a lot of similarities in their football programs potential to North Alabama. I know there are some other KSU fans who bash UNA hard, but I have been a huge proponent of UNA'S program (both joining the Big South and ASUN) and the process UNA took for growth. Both UNA and WFU have had great runs of success in DII. Both seem to want to grow their football and athletic programs (obviously UNA does). UNA moved up to FCS to build financial and infrastructural stability to their athletics and will make the next move once they achieve that full stability. WFU should take that same process. Lastly, Valdosta does not have any intentions or ability to make an instant move from DII to FBS. They do love being a fig fish in a shrinking pond as another poster put it. Yes they are a traditional powerhouse, but i just do not see either party (CUSA or VSU) using that strategy.
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2022 11:34 AM by JJOHN368.)
02-11-2022 11:17 AM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
They would have to go FCS first. You can’t jump from D2 to FBS
02-11-2022 07:39 PM
Advertisement

SlyFox Online
1st String

I Root For: Liberty
The Florida Panhandle is also not where the population is focused in the Sunshine State.
02-12-2022 09:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
(02-11-2022 07:39 PM)THUNDERStruck73 Wrote:  They would have to go FCS first. You can’t jump from D2 to FBS

I believe that's a 4 year process too. Only 2 years for fcs to fbs.

It's odd but I think going from no football to fbs like Charlotte did is easier.
02-12-2022 10:16 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.