Exclamation Bowlsby: Six Highest Ranked Conference Champs Should Get Bids
01-28-2022 10:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

I Root For: UH
Bowlsby: Six Highest Ranked Conference Champs Should Get Bids
I don’t understand why he wouldn’t want an auto bid for the P5.

Sent from the Warp via the ruinous powers of Chaos!
01-28-2022 11:23 AM
bear2be2 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Baylor
RE: Bowlsby: Six Highest Ranked Conference Champs Should Get Bids
(01-28-2022 11:23 AM)Westhoff123 Wrote:  I don’t understand why he wouldn’t want an auto bid for the P5.

I can think of two motivations.

1) The six highest rated is the most fair system and best for the long-term health of college football.
2) This will highlight what we've all been saying for months now -- that the "new" Big 12 is a better league from top to bottom than both the ACC and PAC-12.

When the Big 12's champion gets in easily every year while the PAC-12's is battling it out with the AAC, Mountain West and Sun Belt for its spot, it will force everyone to acknowledge what we already know and end this silly Little 12 narrative once and for all.
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2022 11:40 AM by bear2be2.)
01-28-2022 11:39 AM
BraveKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
(01-28-2022 11:39 AM)bear2be2 Wrote:  
(01-28-2022 11:23 AM)Westhoff123 Wrote:  I don’t understand why he wouldn’t want an auto bid for the P5.

1) The six highest rated is the most fair system and best for the long-term health of college football.
2) This will highlight what we've all been saying for months now -- that the "new" Big 12 is a better league from top to bottom than both the ACC and PAC-12.

When the Big 12's champion gets in easily every year while the PAC-12's is battling it out with the AAC, Mountain West and Sun Belt for its spot, it will force everyone to acknowledge what we already know and end this silly Little 12 narrative once and for all.
I fully agree. The main conference pushing this autobids narrative is the Pac 12, as the year the playoff expansion was proposed, they were behind the AAC, Sun Belt, and I believe the MWC too.
01-28-2022 11:55 AM
parialex Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Houston, AAC/XII
Bowlsby has commented in the past that placing too much advantage to P5 conferences lands you in front of congressional committees.
01-28-2022 12:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TWCoog Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Houston
What I worry about is that it is the Big 12 battling it out for the last spot due to bias from a committee or some other manmade ranking system. My uneasiness is most likely due to being on the outside looking in for so many years. But after finally getting the golden ticket, I want whatever is best to keep that ticket and to me it is a auto bid for our new conference.
01-28-2022 12:32 PM
Advertisement

hiphopfroggy Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: TCU
(01-28-2022 12:32 PM)TWCoog Wrote:  What I worry about is that it is the Big 12 battling it out for the last spot due to bias from a committee or some other manmade ranking system. My uneasiness is most likely due to being on the outside looking in for so many years. But after finally getting the golden ticket, I want whatever is best to keep that ticket and to me it is a auto bid for our new conference.

lol you really are shell shocked. Don't worry, Bowlsby is unlikely to get what he wants but if he did it would be great for everyone including the Big 12.

The winner of the Big 12 Championship game is going to be ranked in the sixth highest conference champions 99.999999% of the time.

6 conference champions and 2 at large bids would be perfect in my opinion.
01-28-2022 12:49 PM
Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

(01-28-2022 11:55 AM)BraveKnight Wrote:  
(01-28-2022 11:39 AM)bear2be2 Wrote:  

I fully agree. The main conference pushing this autobids narrative is the Pac 12, as the year the playoff expansion was proposed, they were behind the AAC, Sun Belt, and I believe the MWC too.

It’s actually the B1G commissioner that has been adamant about the auto bid for the P5.

01-28-2022 12:57 PM
TWCoog Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Houston
(01-28-2022 12:49 PM)hiphopfroggy Wrote:  
(01-28-2022 12:32 PM)TWCoog Wrote:  What I worry about is that it is the Big 12 battling it out for the last spot due to bias from a committee or some other manmade ranking system. My uneasiness is most likely due to being on the outside looking in for so many years. But after finally getting the golden ticket, I want whatever is best to keep that ticket and to me it is a auto bid for our new conference.

lol you really are shell shocked. Don't worry, Bowlsby is unlikely to get what he wants but if he did it would be great for everyone including the Big 12.

The winner of the Big 12 Championship game is going to be ranked in the sixth highest conference champions 99.999999% of the time.

6 conference champions and 2 at large bids would be perfect in my opinion.

Yes I am 03-yes
01-28-2022 01:11 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Personally I am ok with either. It will be very rare that 2 G5 champs are ahead of any P5.
01-29-2022 08:32 AM
Pirate Rep Offline
1st String

I Root For: East Carolina
Interesting if not foretelling position for the Big 12 leadership to take? Clue to the possible future once OU & UT are gone?
01-29-2022 09:50 AM
Advertisement

bear2be2 Offline
Special Teams

(01-29-2022 09:50 AM)Pirate Rep Wrote:  Interesting if not foretelling position for the Big 12 leadership to take? Clue to the possible future once OU & UT are gone?

The "new" Big 12 just had three teams finish ahead of OU in the final AP poll. Oklahoma closed the year at No. 10.

The Big 12 will be just fine competitively after OU and UT are gone.
01-29-2022 12:18 PM
GoldenFunk Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UCF
I think he is hedging against B12 loss of P5 status, and it is definitely the right move. With the loss of Nebraska, Texas, Texas AM and Oklahoma, the biggest brands have left B12. However, there is definitely still quality football here and the B12 champ should still be top 6 conference champ in most years. I could be wrong, but P5 seems driven more by brand status than actual football quality, so Big 12 status is taking a big hit after OUT exodus.
01-31-2022 02:32 PM
bear2be2 Offline
Special Teams

(01-31-2022 02:32 PM)GoldenFunk Wrote:  I think he is hedging against B12 loss of P5 status, and it is definitely the right move. With the loss of Nebraska, Texas, Texas AM and Oklahoma, the biggest brands have left B12. However, there is definitely still quality football here and the B12 champ should still be top 6 conference champ in most years. I could be wrong, but P5 seems driven more by brand status than actual football quality, so Big 12 status is taking a big hit after OUT exodus.

"Power 5," in the way many use it for the purpose of this discussion, is a media generated narrative that basically means nothing. What matters is that the Big 12 is an autonomy 5 conference and will remain so unless or until something happens legislatively to change that.

The Big 12 can't be removed as one of the five autonomous conferences because national pundits don't think it's good enough. This league's status as a P5 is pretty well cemented for the time being.
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2022 04:09 PM by bear2be2.)
01-31-2022 03:13 PM
CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa

Fully agree here. We want a system that unequivocally defines the Big 12 as a power conference. Otherwise, the media and recruits will start treating us like a barely superior version of the AAC.
01-31-2022 04:04 PM
bear2be2 Offline
Special Teams

(01-31-2022 04:04 PM)CitrusUCF Wrote:  

Fully agree here. We want a system that unequivocally defines the Big 12 as a power conference. Otherwise, the media and recruits will start treating us like a barely superior version of the AAC.
Then we need to win big out-of-conference games and playoff/bowl matchups. That's how you get respect.

With no name brands, this conference isn't going to trick anyone into thinking it's good. It's going to need to prove that it's good on the field. Fortunately, most of these team have already proven they're good on the field. They just need to continue to do so.
01-31-2022 04:13 PM
Advertisement

hiphopfroggy Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: TCU

ESPN already treats the Pac and Big 12 this way. There is nothing to worry about, get your programs throwing $$$$ bags at these recruits and they will come. Nobody is going to compete with the SEC so don't try to compare the Big 12 to the SEC. When you compare the Big 12 to the ACC and the Pac the idea of being marginalized is pretty funny.

Then consider what is left outside of the P5 and it is even more hilarious.

Y'all are big boys now, time to act like it and write your own narrative not parrot the SECs. Or just let the play on the field write the narrative, but c'mon man don't continue this narrative that belittles yourself and your new conference.
01-31-2022 04:16 PM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
If the Alliance needs our vote they can invite us to their little Alliance club. They don't want to because they intend to poach teams if needed.

I am happy with either the Top 6 champs or the P5 champs model. The core being we expand past 4-team format.
01-31-2022 04:27 PM
bear2be2 Offline
Special Teams

(01-31-2022 04:16 PM)hiphopfroggy Wrote:  

ESPN already treats the Pac and Big 12 this way. There is nothing to worry about, get your programs throwing $$$$ bags at these recruits and they will come. Nobody is going to compete with the SEC so don't try to compare the Big 12 to the SEC. When you compare the Big 12 to the ACC and the Pac the idea of being marginalized is pretty funny.

Y'all are big boys now, time to act like it and write your own narrative not parrot the SECs. Or just let the play on the field write the narrative, but c'mon man don't continue this narrative that belittles yourself and your new conference.

This. The "new" Big 12 is a good league, and we'll have ample opportunity to prove it on the field and court. That needs to be every member's priority.

We'll write the national narrative by how well we compete against good out-of-conference opponents when we have those opportunities. What pundits think in the meantime is meaningless.

The Big 12 won't be the SEC or the Big Ten. But there's no reason our top teams can't meet some of theirs on the field and win our share of games. And we should be every bit as good as the ACC and PAC-12 from top to bottom, if not better.

It's good that the Big 12 is now full of programs with chips on their shoulder. It's that edge that allows our programs to compete with and beat the blue bloods. But we don't need to feel sorry for ourselves or create grievance narratives that feed into erroneous national perceptions of this league's relative strength. Just let our on-field product speak for itself.
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2022 05:32 PM by bear2be2.)
01-31-2022 04:28 PM
Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

(01-31-2022 04:28 PM)bear2be2 Wrote:  
(01-31-2022 04:16 PM)hiphopfroggy Wrote:  

This. The "new" Big 12 is a good league, and we'll have ample opportunity to prove it on the field and court. That needs to be every member's priority.

We'll write the national narrative by how well we compete against good out-of-conference opponents when we have those opportunities. What pundits think in the meantime is meaningless.

The Big 12 won't be the SEC or the Big Ten. But there's no reason our top teams can't meet some of theirs on the field and win our share of games. And we should be every bit as good as the ACC and PAC-12 from top to bottom, if not better.

It's good that the Big 12 is now full of programs with chips on their shoulder. It's that edge that allows our programs to compete with and beat the blue bloods. But we don't need to feel sorry for ourselves or create grievance narratives that feed into erroneous national perceptions of this league's relative strength. Just let our on-field product will speak for itself.

Agreed!

01-31-2022 05:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.