Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

B1G considering eliminating divisions
Bookmark and Share
indianasniff Online
All American

I Root For: Toledo
B1G considering eliminating divisions
https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state...181570748/

So if the MAC eliminated divisions, what would your three schools be for your team

Michigan schools have each other for two.
Toledo has BG and I could see wanting an EMU and an Ohio school maybe?
Buffalo?
Miami would start with Ohio and Ball State I suppose

Fan bases.....go
01-27-2022 08:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
RE: B1G considering eliminating divisions
CMU, EMU, NIU
01-27-2022 08:59 AM
emu steve Online
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(01-27-2022 08:46 AM)indianasniff Wrote:  https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state...181570748/

So if the MAC eliminated divisions, what would your three schools be for your team

Buffalo?

Fan bases.....go

The problem the B1G has is unbalanced (competitively) divisions. One division is much, much stronger than the other. One division has OSU, UofM, MSU,PSU, etc. and the other has...

The MAC tends to have that problem, but to a modest degree. Remember, Kent State was the FAVORITE in the MACC even though the MAC West was the stronger division.

As such no reason for the MAC to do anything. I'm not a big fan of making changes simply because there is a normal cyclical competitive balance shift.
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2022 09:07 AM by emu steve.)
01-27-2022 09:07 AM
Bronco'14 Online
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
I like the division format. I can see why the Big 10 (At least the usual powers) may want to go away w/ it.

Personally I think the Big 10 is best moving, say, Ohio St & Michigan St to the West. You could still have the rivalry games every year, just have it be the protected games. I don't understand the obsession w/ having rivals be in the same division as long as the game is played every year.

I would like to see Toledo as Western's other protected game than NIU. I consider Toledo more a rival than NIU. (Seems like our casual fan-base is much more familiar w/ Toledo as well)
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2022 09:49 AM by Bronco'14.)
01-27-2022 09:47 AM
kreed5120 Online
1st String

I Root For: Akron
(01-27-2022 09:07 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(01-27-2022 08:46 AM)indianasniff Wrote:  https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state...181570748/

Buffalo?

Fan bases.....go

The problem the B1G has is unbalanced (competitively) divisions. One division is much, much stronger than the other. One division has OSU, UofM, MSU,PSU, etc. and the other has...

The MAC tends to have that problem, but to a modest degree. Remember, Kent State was the FAVORITE in the MACC even though the MAC West was the stronger division.

As such no reason for the MAC to do anything. I'm not a big fan of making changes simply because there is a normal cyclical competitive balance shift.

To add onto this the B1G problem is related to all 3 of its blue bloods (UM, OSU, and Penn St) being in the same division. While the West has been better in the MAC over the last 10 or so years, it's not like the West schools have significantly more resources at their disposal to create a perpetuity disadvantage. 5 years from now its very possible that the MAC East will be better than the MAC West. That kind of reality isn't going to happen with the B1G.
01-27-2022 09:48 AM
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Divisions are good and the MAC should keep them.

If Bowling Green were to pick three schools to play every year, it would probably be, in rough order of preference: Toledo, Kent State, Miami, Ohio, Akron, and Buffalo. Whether Miami or Ohio would want an annual Bowling Green game is unclear to me, though.
01-27-2022 11:54 AM
Advertisement

Schaefer Beer Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
If they eliminate divisions are they going to have the top 2 teams play in the conference championship game? I very much doubt they would do away with a money making machine like the Big 10 Championship game.
01-27-2022 01:14 PM
goldenflash13 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Kent State
For the 3 schools for Kent to play, I'd pick Akron, BG, and OU.
01-27-2022 05:58 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
BG, NIU, EMU, MIAMI, WMU
01-27-2022 06:31 PM
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
Yes, please get rid of divisions.
01-27-2022 06:37 PM
GRBRONCO Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU
For WMUs 3 I'd pick CMU, NIU, and either Toledo or Ball St
01-27-2022 06:41 PM
Advertisement

bobcat_backer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: OHIO
Miami, Akron, Kent State (with strong consideration given to Buffalo in place of either Akron or Kent State)
01-27-2022 07:29 PM
OhioBobcatJohn Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio
Ohio would pick Miami, Kent State and Akron
01-27-2022 07:30 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Toledo: BG, Miami, WMU with NIU a close 4th. For some reason the MAC refuses to schedule UT vs Miami. MU has always recruited Toledo for both sports and (private schools) for regular students. Lots of local connections and name recognition. For basketball biggest draws are usually BG, Buffalo, Kent and OU
01-28-2022 01:48 AM
epasnoopy Online
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
I mentioned getting rid of divisions a few months ago but someone pointed to some NCAA language that required it to have a championship game.

I'd be up for scrapping football divisions just like we did with basketball. The power in football is in the West division, just like power in basketball is on what used to be the East division.

Last season West was 15-4 vs. East division, including MAC Championship game.
01-28-2022 06:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(01-28-2022 06:03 AM)epasnoopy Wrote:  I mentioned getting rid of divisions a few months ago but someone pointed to some NCAA language that required it to have a championship game.

I thought they got rid of that requirement so that the Big 12 could keep holding a championship game.
01-28-2022 11:57 AM
Advertisement

epasnoopy Online
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(01-28-2022 11:57 AM)Schadenfreude Wrote:  
(01-28-2022 06:03 AM)epasnoopy Wrote:  I mentioned getting rid of divisions a few months ago but someone pointed to some NCAA language that required it to have a championship game.

I thought they got rid of that requirement so that the Big 12 could keep holding a championship game.

The way the NCAA is losing power I'm not sure why they would even want to battle over something so trivial. You don't need divisions to figure out which two conference teams are the best teams and deserve to play in the championship game. Just go no divisions and the teams with the two best conference records get to play in the title game.
01-28-2022 06:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU
(01-27-2022 09:48 AM)kreed5120 Wrote:  

Buffalo?

Fan bases.....go

To add onto this the B1G problem is related to all 3 of its blue bloods (UM, OSU, and Penn St) being in the same division. While the West has been better in the MAC over the last 10 or so years, it's not like the West schools have significantly more resources at their disposal to create a perpetuity disadvantage. 5 years from now its very possible that the MAC East will be better than the MAC West. That kind of reality isn't going to happen with the B1G.

Cogent post Kreed, I would agree with everything you said, it pointed out the obvious differences in our conferences.

That stated, I don't think the best MAC team has won the conference championship since PJ Fleck and WMU. I'm not saying getting rid of the divisions will always correct this, but it would be a start.
01-28-2022 07:05 PM
kreed5120 Online
1st String

I Root For: Akron
(01-28-2022 07:05 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  
(01-27-2022 09:48 AM)kreed5120 Wrote:  

Buffalo?

Fan bases.....go

Cogent post Kreed, I would agree with everything you said, it pointed out the obvious differences in our conferences.

That stated, I don't think the best MAC team has won the conference championship since PJ Fleck and WMU. I'm not saying getting rid of the divisions will always correct this, but it would be a start.

Logically speaking nothing outside of round robin would guarantee that. Pods naturally would preserve rivalries and let's say the MAC does 3 4 team pods. In said scenario I'd say Akron, Kent, Ohio, and Miami would make tons of sense from a preserving rivalry stand point. Now let's look back at the past 10 years. Akron and Kent have probably been the 2 worst programs over that stretch and Miami was pretty up and down. In said pod system Ohio would have had a huge advantage over everyone else in the MAC.
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2022 09:46 PM by kreed5120.)
01-28-2022 09:21 PM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
Sounds by the article that Pig10 vs G5 games are at risk? 8 games against Big10 opponents, the rest from ACC+Pac-12?

"If this comes to fruition, the Big Ten would likely have standings for all 14 of its members, making each team play eight of its 12 games against Big Ten opponents. Since the Big Ten formed an alliance with the ACC and Pac-12 in terms of scheduling for the future, games against out of a conference opponents could come strictly from those conferences to flesh out the other four games, or at least a handful of them on the schedule."
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2022 11:40 AM by NIUfilmmaker.)
01-29-2022 11:40 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.