Give me 10 conference games.

P2.
01-26-2022 03:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
RE: Big Ten Scheduling
Illinois fan: More games vs. the three money makers please.

Penn State fan: OK as long as the travel is reasonable and we still get to play Ohio State and Michigan every year.
01-26-2022 06:15 PM
Strut Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Sparty aka MSU
Big Ten Scheduling
I love the idea of pods of key rivals etc., then the most interesting match ups using B1G match ups plus Alliance teams in football and basketball.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
01-27-2022 04:34 PM
Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
I don’t see why they need to drop a conference game.
01-28-2022 06:07 PM
Advertisement

GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
(01-28-2022 06:07 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  I don’t see why they need to drop a conference game.

I agree. Dropping a Big Ten game for an Alliance game is dumb. The average Big Ten opponent is more valuable than the average Pac 12 and ACC opponent. For example, dropping a game against Iowa (or whoever you think is near the middle) for a game against Arizona State or NC State is not going to increase our revenues and make us more competitive with the SEC. Best case scenario, we expand our markets and get better inroads to recruiting grounds we aren't currently strong in while beating up on other Alliance members.

I don't want to remove divisions either. As a Penn State fan, I would be okay to drop annual games with Indiana but I'd rather keep the other five than replace one with a west school. If we switched to three locked opponents, I imagine Ohio State, Maryland, and Rutgers would be our locked opponents. These are our longest played opponents and I think PSU would be Maryland and Rutgers top choice.
01-29-2022 11:09 AM
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
With the distances, I imagine the teams at both ends of the conference would want to stay with divisions and the teams in the middle would be more open to removing divisions. I'd guess Purdue is the school that would want to get rid of divisions the most, their biggest rival is in the East anyway.
01-29-2022 12:57 PM
GE and MTS Offline

Purdue already plays Indiana annually. It's the only permanently locked cross-division game.
01-29-2022 03:42 PM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
I do not like idea of dropping conference games at all, but love idea of no divisions. I hate how few games seems we play against teams we used to play 3/4 the time (the question was who did you miss, not who was in the schedule). No divisions works better with more games though rather than less.

As for games vs. alliance, I don't get the conference fixation on. Most these games could be scheduled anyway.
01-29-2022 04:03 PM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
That said, even with 8 conference games, you could lock 3 teams and play the other 10 twice in four years.
01-29-2022 04:12 PM
Advertisement

Fighting Muskie Online

Whose going to put more butts in seats at Ross-Ade Stadium and more dollars in the athletic department coffers?

A) Ohio St
B) Washington St
C) Wake Forest

The answer you are looking for is A.
01-30-2022 08:35 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(01-30-2022 08:35 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Whose going to put more butts in seats at Ross-Ade Stadium and more dollars in the athletic department coffers?

A) Ohio St
B) Washington St
C) Wake Forest

To be fair, if you're going to use the least-interesting Pac-12 and ACC teams, you should do the same with the Big Ten:

A) Rutgers
B) Washington St
C) Wake Forest
02-03-2022 06:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cubucks Offline
All American

I Root For: tOSU/UNL/Ohio
(02-03-2022 06:46 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(01-30-2022 08:35 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Whose going to put more butts in seats at Ross-Ade Stadium and more dollars in the athletic department coffers?

A) Ohio St
B) Washington St
C) Wake Forest

To be fair, if you're going to use the least-interesting Pac-12 and ACC teams, you should do the same with the Big Ten:

A) Rutgers
B) Washington St
C) Wake Forest

I agree with you, Mark, a bit of cherry picking going on.

I wish tOSU had a permanent game against one of FSU, VT, NC State, Georgia Tech, Washington or USC. Out of the SEC I'd be ok with Texas A&M, Florida or Georgia.

For Nebraska give me, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, VT, Miami or North Carolina. Out of the SEC, Missouri, Texas A&M, Arkansas, LSU or Auburn.
02-03-2022 01:58 PM
Fighting Muskie Online

(02-03-2022 01:58 PM)cubucks Wrote:  

A) Ohio St
B) Washington St
C) Wake Forest

A) Rutgers
B) Washington St
C) Wake Forest

I wish tOSU had a permanent game against one of FSU, VT, NC State, Georgia Tech, Washington or USC. Out of the SEC I'd be ok with Texas A&M, Florida or Georgia.

For Nebraska give me, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, VT, Miami or North Carolina. Out of the SEC, Missouri, Texas A&M, Arkansas, LSU or Auburn.

Let’s be honest here—the better ACC and PAC 12 teams aren’t going to ever get paired with the weak Big 10 teams. The weak Big Teams are going to get the Wakes and Wazzous so if you’re Illinois, NW, Purdue, or Rutgers you really are exchanging a rotation that includes the top Big 10 teams from the other division for someone else’s little sister program. The Big 10 East schools are always going to have the Big 3 of Mich/Penn St/Ohio St every other year so Indiana, Rutgers, and Maryland won’t be hurt as much but if you’re Purdue, Illinois, Northwestern, or Minnesota this definitely means fewer visits from the Big 10 standard bearers.
02-03-2022 05:47 PM
mikeinsec127 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
(02-03-2022 05:47 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  

A) Ohio St
B) Washington St
C) Wake Forest

A) Rutgers
B) Washington St
C) Wake Forest

Let’s be honest here—the better ACC and PAC 12 teams aren’t going to ever get paired with the weak Big 10 teams. The weak Big Teams are going to get the Wakes and Wazzous so if you’re Illinois, NW, Purdue, or Rutgers you really are exchanging a rotation that includes the top Big 10 teams from the other division for someone else’s little sister program. The Big 10 East schools are always going to have the Big 3 of Mich/Penn St/Ohio St every other year so Indiana, Rutgers, and Maryland won’t be hurt as much but if you’re Purdue, Illinois, Northwestern, or Minnesota this definitely means fewer visits from the Big 10 standard bearers.

I'd say for Rutgers, we'd much rather keep annual games against the four top tier teams in the East, over playing any of the ACC, B12 or PAC schools. Those four bring fan interest and put fans in the seats. Other than those four, probably only Wisky out of the West moves the needle for fans. If you are talking about trading a game vs Neb for say one of the former BE ACC schools, that is a trade that most Rutgers fans would make.
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2022 09:00 PM by mikeinsec127.)
02-07-2022 08:59 PM
Advertisement

GE and MTS Offline

(02-07-2022 08:59 PM)mikeinsec127 Wrote:  

A) Ohio St
B) Washington St
C) Wake Forest

A) Rutgers
B) Washington St
C) Wake Forest

I'd say for Rutgers, we'd much rather keep annual games against the four top tier teams in the East, over playing any of the ACC, B12 or PAC schools. Those four bring fan interest and put fans in the seats. Other than those four, probably only Wisky out of the West moves the needle for fans. If you are talking about trading a game vs Neb for say one of the former BE ACC schools, that is a trade that most Rutgers fans would make.

What is Rutgers' opinion on Maryland and vice versa? I interpret you guys being rivals by circumstance rather than anything natural. You both think of Penn State as your number one rival in the conference but Maryland/Rutgers is next due to proximity and coming into the conference together. If the B10 went divisionless, I assume Rutgers and Maryland would want PSU and each other to be two of the locked annual opponents. Am I off base?
02-08-2022 06:40 AM
Transic_nyc Offline
1st String

I Root For: Return To Stability

A) Ohio St
B) Washington St
C) Wake Forest

A) Rutgers
B) Washington St
C) Wake Forest

I wouldn't mind taking a break from the Ohio State/Michigan teams once in a while. A little diversity in the schedule can be good as long as the teams are interesting. The only problem is a lot of programs in the ACC consider us to be beneath them. However, I think we should figure out a way to have a Utah or Arizona State visit New Jersey one year to have them get a taste of the culture, just like when Arkansas paid a visit. I would love to see Pitt back on the schedule for at least one season but not a permanent thing. Besides, I don't think the B1G big programs want to visit New Jersey more than they have to. Hence, the move to divisionless play.
02-08-2022 12:21 PM
mikeinsec127 Offline
1st String

(02-08-2022 06:40 AM)GE and MTS Wrote:  
(02-03-2022 06:46 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  To be fair, if you're going to use the least-interesting Pac-12 and ACC teams, you should do the same with the Big Ten:

A) Rutgers
B) Washington St
C) Wake Forest

What is Rutgers' opinion on Maryland and vice versa? I interpret you guys being rivals by circumstance rather than anything natural. You both think of Penn State as your number one rival in the conference but Maryland/Rutgers is next due to proximity and coming into the conference together. If the B10 went divisionless, I assume Rutgers and Maryland would want PSU and each other to be two of the locked annual opponents. Am I off base?

I personally think that RU and Md end up being each other's biggest rival some day and I'm good with that. Most, if not all RU and Md fans who have heard me say that think I'm nuts. We have next to no history with each other prior to joining the BIG. Both fan bases see PSU as their biggest rival in conference. PSU sees us both only as opponents. Right now any rivalry we have with each other is out of circumstance, based on proximity, joining at the same time and going after the same recruits. Still these things can't be forced, otherwise we end up with some fake rivalry trophy game forced on us by the conference like Neb/Wisky.
02-09-2022 09:52 PM
megadrone Offline
1st String

(02-09-2022 09:52 PM)mikeinsec127 Wrote:  
(02-08-2022 06:40 AM)GE and MTS Wrote:  
(02-03-2022 01:58 PM)cubucks Wrote:  I agree with you, Mark, a bit of cherry picking going on.

I personally think that RU and Md end up being each other's biggest rival some day and I'm good with that. Most, if not all RU and Md fans who have heard me say that think I'm nuts. We have next to no history with each other prior to joining the BIG. Both fan bases see PSU as their biggest rival in conference. PSU sees us both only as opponents. Right now any rivalry we have with each other is out of circumstance, based on proximity, joining at the same time and going after the same recruits. Still these things can't be forced, otherwise we end up with some fake rivalry trophy game forced on us by the conference like Neb/Wisky.

We stopped playing our rival in 1980 and no school has replaced Princeton in football, and Seton Hall is our rival in basketball.

The Big East didn't do anything to cultivate a rivalry although we had one developing with Connecticut in the BE 2.0 era (we had also played them a lot before the 1A/1AA split). During BE 1.0 we were mediocre to horrible, so nothing really developed there.

The "rival" would be Penn State because we have a history with Penn State, going back to our Eastern 8/Atlantic 10 days, and in basketball and other sports, sure. In football, it's too lopsided.

Maryland feels a little forced.
08-30-2022 04:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.