Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Steelers after Big Ben
Erictelevision Offline
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
The Steelers after Big Ben
If, as suspected, Big Ben retires, how will the QB situation shake out? Will they be the Packers (great to great) or Dolphins, (great to 20 years in wilderness)
01-26-2022 09:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Phlipper33 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Texas A&M
RE: The Steelers after Big Ben
I could see them going after a QB in the offseason, depending on who all becomes available. Russel Wilson would be a logical target, I'm not sure how the ownership and/or fans would feel if they went after a 'controversial' QB like Rodgers or Watson.

I think it's more likely they trade up in the draft and take a QB in the first round this year though. Don't think there's any ways they go with Mason Rudolph next year.
01-26-2022 01:18 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
Tough competition for QB's this year:

Carolina
Denver
Detroit
Pittsburgh

Does NYG stick with Jones?
Will Brady and/or Rogers return.
Does New Orleans go with a different direction
What does Houston do?
Where does Wilson end up at?
01-26-2022 04:56 PM
Erictelevision Offline
All American

Big Ben officially done
01-27-2022 01:54 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
I think the Stillas will go after Trubiski or Winston and focus on the rest of the holes via FA and the draft, then look at 23 or 24 for the next franchise QB.
01-28-2022 07:22 AM
Erictelevision Offline
All American

Panther: So, the Patriot’s approach?
01-29-2022 03:08 PM
Advertisement

PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
(01-26-2022 04:56 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  Tough competition for QB's this year:

Carolina
Denver
Detroit
Pittsburgh

Does NYG stick with Jones?
Will Brady and/or Rogers return.
Does New Orleans go with a different direction
What does Houston do?
Where does Wilson end up at?

The Deshaun Watson thing is looming huge over a lot of decisions... and with his image hurt.... who will bite?
01-30-2022 12:07 AM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(01-28-2022 07:22 AM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  I think the Stillas will go after Trubiski or Winston and focus on the rest of the holes via FA and the draft, then look at 23 or 24 for the next franchise QB.

Why not Jimmy G?
01-31-2022 09:13 PM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(01-31-2022 09:13 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(01-28-2022 07:22 AM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  I think the Stillas will go after Trubiski or Winston and focus on the rest of the holes via FA and the draft, then look at 23 or 24 for the next franchise QB.

Why not Jimmy G?

If there are enough interested teams, the 49ers will be able to get a 1st round pick for Jimmy G to partly make up for the two they traded away to move up to pick Trey Lance.

Steelers might well be interested in trading for Garoppolo. Broncos should be interested. Texans and Saints are also possibilities.
02-01-2022 04:13 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators
The Stillas would be moronic to trade anything more than a 5th rounder for Jimmy G. Frankly, I don't see him being much better than what we already have.
02-03-2022 08:49 AM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(02-03-2022 08:49 AM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  The Stillas would be moronic to trade anything more than a 5th rounder for Jimmy G. Frankly, I don't see him being much better than what we already have.

Jimmy G is easily better than Haskins and Rudolph. The fact Dobbs hasn't seen the field is telling in itself. I just can't see Pittsburgh willfully rolling out QB's in 2022 that would guarantee a losing season.
02-03-2022 09:26 AM
Advertisement

SoCalBobcat78 Online
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU
I would look at a player like Marcus Mariota to be my starter next season. Mariota will be a free agent and is 28 years old. The Steelers would be a good fit for him. The Steelers could draft a quarterback in the first or second round and take their time developing him.
02-03-2022 09:37 AM
e-parade Offline
All American

I Root For: UMass
(02-01-2022 04:13 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

Why not Jimmy G?

If there are enough interested teams, the 49ers will be able to get a 1st round pick for Jimmy G to partly make up for the two they traded away to move up to pick Trey Lance.

Steelers might well be interested in trading for Garoppolo. Broncos should be interested. Texans and Saints are also possibilities.

Jimmy G only has 1 year left on his contract, and it comes with a cap hit of almost $27 million. That would make it harder to demand a 1st round pick out of a trade.

He's definitely better than what the Steelers have right now though (and other teams who could potentially trade for him).
02-03-2022 10:33 AM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators
(02-03-2022 09:26 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(02-03-2022 08:49 AM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  The Stillas would be moronic to trade anything more than a 5th rounder for Jimmy G. Frankly, I don't see him being much better than what we already have.

Jimmy G is easily better than Haskins and Rudolph. The fact Dobbs hasn't seen the field is telling in itself. I just can't see Pittsburgh willfully rolling out QB's in 2022 that would guarantee a losing season.

For $25m and loss of draft capital, Jimmy is worse than Mason and Haskins. If Jimmy was a FA and coming with a 5-10 min cap hit, I'd entertain the idea. Jimmy G wouldn't guarantee a winning season with this roster.
02-03-2022 01:59 PM
e-parade Offline
All American

(02-03-2022 01:59 PM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  
(02-03-2022 09:26 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  

For $25m and loss of draft capital, Jimmy is worse than Mason and Haskins. If Jimmy was a FA and coming with a 5-10 min cap hit, I'd entertain the idea. Jimmy G wouldn't guarantee a winning season with this roster.

Thanks to the single season and huge cap hit, it's actually possible for Jimmy G to get cut. The 49ers wouldn't take a giant cap hit for doing that, and it's not crazy to think other teams don't want to invest that much salary into him.

At that point he'd be an extremely desirable commodity and could come in with a $10-15 million cap hit instead. That would be worth it for the Steelers to look into, especially if it's the lower end.
02-03-2022 02:08 PM
Wedge Offline

(02-03-2022 10:33 AM)e-parade Wrote:  
(02-01-2022 04:13 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

Why not Jimmy G?

Jimmy G only has 1 year left on his contract, and it comes with a cap hit of almost $27 million. That would make it harder to demand a 1st round pick out of a trade.

He's definitely better than what the Steelers have right now though (and other teams who could potentially trade for him).

His 2022 cap hit makes it more difficult for the Steelers. But, it depends on the trade market. Denver and maybe a couple others have cap space and plenty of draft assets, but they might opt for other QB solutions.
02-04-2022 04:12 AM
Advertisement

ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators
The Stillas actually has a lot of cap space. The problem is the plethora of holes in the roster to field a competive team. At best we will see 2 new starters on the OLine and at worst 4 new starters. Then there's WR with the prospects of James Washington leaving and Juju likely leaving. We probably also need a RB to compliment Najee. Then on Defense, Alualu returning definitely helps the DL, but we definitely need another DL or two to help solidify the DL for not just next year, but years to come. Cam is a season or two from retiring. We probably need a #3 Edge guy to fill in plus a ILB or two. Finally in the secondary there's a strong likelihood the Stillas don't bring back Edmunds and Haden , thus creating two more holes that needs filled. Now tell me how trading a #1 for Jimmy G makes this team better. I just don't see it. We need as much draft capital as possible to fill our needs. I'm not against grapping the BPA at #20 regardless of the position. I have my favorites of course. It's going to take a couple of seasons of FA and the draft to fill these holes and potential holes to come.
02-04-2022 11:27 AM
Wedge Offline

That's another way to look at it, for any team.

Trading for Garoppolo, even though he's far from perfect, is a "win now" move, or for some teams a "we're tired of not making the playoffs" move. Denver and Washington are in the latter category. A team without that kind of motivation isn't going to spend much draft or player value to trade for a QB.
02-04-2022 01:20 PM
e-parade Offline
All American

And for the teams who can afford to not trade for a "win now" mentality they can just wait to see if no one trades for him and he gets released. The Steelers are a franchise that doesn't seem to make any rash decisions and are okay with not making the post season for a little bit while they restock. Having the extremely loyal fanbase that they do definitely helps out there as well. Those fans are going to go no matter what.

I suppose there's also an option of trading for him with a "we'll take on half his salary" or something (saw that in an ESPN post, specifically about the Steelers hypothetically offering a 2nd rounder and half the salary to get him).
02-04-2022 01:26 PM
Wedge Offline

There will be teams offering to trade for Garoppolo even if they have to take on his contract. Look at how many teams have only lousy QB options on their roster. Jimmy G would be an upgrade for half the NFL.
02-04-2022 01:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.