Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Average Kenpom College Basketball Conference Rankings
Bookmark and Share
sstaedtler88 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty, Army
Had some free time so here are the Kenpom rankings per conference using the new conferences. I put ASUN in there only because Liberty was coming from there.

Average team rankings in Kenpom today for MBB conferences:

Mt. West #112.0
New AAC #138.6
New CUSA #141.4
New Sun Belt #200.6
MAC #207.5
ASUN #235.5

So basically, new Conference USA will rival the AAC in basketball and is far, far superior to the Sun Belt or the MAC. CUSA has moved up in basketball as Sam Houston just beat Stephen F. Austin, New Mexico State, and Grand Canyon in a row, which moved them up quite a bit.
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2022 03:43 PM by sstaedtler88.)
01-23-2022 03:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dawgonit Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: LaTech
RE: Average Kenpom College Basketball Conference Rankings
(01-23-2022 03:42 PM)sstaedtler88 Wrote:  Had some free time so here are the Kenpom rankings per conference using the new conferences. I put ASUN in there only because Liberty was coming from there.

Mt. West #112.0
New AAC #138.6
New CUSA #141.4
New Sun Belt #200.6
MAC #207.5
ASUN #235.5

So basically, new Conference USA will rival the AAC in basketball and is far, far superior to the Sun Belt or the MAC. CUSA has moved up in basketball as Sam Houston just beat Stephen F. Austin, New Mexico State, and Grand Canyon in a row, which moved them up quite a bit.

I think everyone sees and knows now that the new CUSA will be a very respectable conference in basketball. But will it be enough to get two bids?

The AAC took a big hit in basketball. I think that's the main take away.
01-23-2022 03:50 PM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
(01-23-2022 03:42 PM)sstaedtler88 Wrote:  Had some free time so here are the Kenpom rankings per conference using the new conferences. I put ASUN in there only because Liberty was coming from there.

Mt. West #112.0
New AAC #138.6
New CUSA #141.4
New Sun Belt #200.6
MAC #207.5
ASUN #235.5

Good work, how does this relate to the current Conference USA lineup? What is the current Conference USA average?

Because if any of the new leagues can get two bids that's good for mid-majors. As someone just said, I don't know if this will be enough to get anybody on board, except for maybe the mountain west, to retain multiple bids.

We have a slight chance this year, but we had a stellar 2018 and still only had one bid.

While the new CUSA will be good at basketball, the new Sun Belt should be equally impressive in football.
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2022 04:53 PM by rileylives.)
01-23-2022 04:52 PM
RustonBulldog Offline
2nd String

I Root For: LA Tech
(01-23-2022 03:50 PM)dawgonit Wrote:  

Mt. West #112.0
New AAC #138.6
New CUSA #141.4
New Sun Belt #200.6
MAC #207.5
ASUN #235.5

I think everyone sees and knows now that the new CUSA will be a very respectable conference in basketball. But will it be enough to get two bids?

The AAC took a big hit in basketball. I think that's the main take away.

Negative but I think it can be good enough to continue to produce teams that aren’t one and done in the dance.
01-23-2022 04:57 PM
topper1296 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU
(01-23-2022 04:52 PM)rileylives Wrote:  

Mt. West #112.0
New AAC #138.6
New CUSA #141.4
New Sun Belt #200.6
MAC #207.5
ASUN #235.5

Good work, how does this relate to the current Conference USA lineup? What is the current Conference USA average?

Because if any of the new leagues can get two bids that's good for mid-majors. As someone just said, I don't know if this will be enough to get anybody on board, except for maybe the mountain west, to retain multiple bids.

We have a slight chance this year, but we had a stellar 2018 and still only had one bid.

While the new CUSA will be good at basketball, the new Sun Belt should be equally impressive in football.

I've been doing this all season using the NET which is what the NCAA uses. Current CUSA has a NET average of 175 and the new CUSA will be 139 for an improvement of 36 spots. Using this season's NET ranking applied to future memberships shows the MVC, AAC and CUSA all being about equal on the hardwood.

https://csnbbs.com/thread-937587-page-7.html
01-23-2022 05:33 PM
Eagle in the gym Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss

Mt. West #112.0
New AAC #138.6
New CUSA #141.4
New Sun Belt #200.6
MAC #207.5
ASUN #235.5

I don't think many of any would try to argue the CUSA 8.0 is a Greer top to bottom hoops league. It’s still a one-bid league, but will have solid games.
01-23-2022 06:18 PM
Advertisement

Dowless Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Charlotte
As we have seen for a couple of decades now that trying to predict how teams will do in a new conference doesn't really work out. It will be interesting to see if the new CUSA can be as competitive as the AAC, but I don't see it happening. They may get closer, but I don't think it will be that close.
01-23-2022 06:32 PM
topper1296 Offline
1st String

(01-23-2022 06:18 PM)Eagle in the gym Wrote:  

Mt. West #112.0
New AAC #138.6
New CUSA #141.4
New Sun Belt #200.6
MAC #207.5
ASUN #235.5

I don't think many of any would try to argue the CUSA 8.0 is a Greer top to bottom hoops league. It’s still a one-bid league, but will have solid games.

It may be, but who is more likely to advance in March and earn NCAA tourney credits? The one bid with the higher seed or the lower seed.
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2022 07:10 PM by topper1296.)
01-23-2022 06:39 PM
bit_9 Offline

I Root For: ODU
Doesn't help that ODU's teams about ready for a coaching retirement and has checked out completely. Sitting at 220 is really bad and not the norm.
01-23-2022 07:18 PM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

(01-23-2022 05:33 PM)topper1296 Wrote:  
(01-23-2022 04:52 PM)rileylives Wrote:  

Mt. West #112.0
New AAC #138.6
New CUSA #141.4
New Sun Belt #200.6
MAC #207.5
ASUN #235.5

I've been doing this all season using the NET which is what the NCAA uses. Current CUSA has a NET average of 175 and the new CUSA will be 139 for an improvement of 36 spots. Using this season's NET ranking applied to future memberships shows the MVC, AAC and CUSA all being about equal on the hardwood.

https://csnbbs.com/thread-937587-page-7.html

Thank you. We are certainly not playing to expectations this year. We are not normally this bad. In most years, Marshall typically plays more to that 130 NET average.
01-23-2022 08:10 PM
MT FAN Offline
All American

I Root For: Middle Tennesse
Marshall, ODU, and Southern Miss are all getting started a year earlier for the crappy basketball in the Sun Belt.
01-23-2022 08:10 PM
Advertisement

WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

(01-23-2022 08:10 PM)MT FAN Wrote:  Marshall, ODU, and Southern Miss are all getting started a year earlier for the crappy basketball in the Sun Belt.

100%, will all suck for Sun Belt.
01-24-2022 09:14 AM
whupemall Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Jax State
(01-23-2022 04:52 PM)rileylives Wrote:  While the new CUSA will be good at basketball, the new Sun Belt should be equally impressive in football.

I compared the Sagarin football and NET rankings for MBB about a week ago, and what you said summarizes my findings pretty nicely. (I won't share the numbers, since they're already a week out of date and rankings are changing constantly, but the summary is still valid, with the important caveat that this season's rankings aren't necessarily what we'll see in 2023-2024.)

The new AAC drops A LOT in hoops, but remains the top league, followed closely by the new CUSA. The Sun Belt didn't help themselves at all in the latest expansion.

The AAC should be strong enough to get 2 bids (and sometimes 3) on a regular basis. Despite its solid top-to-bottom average, the new CUSA will probably remain a single-bid league. The top isn't anywhere near strong enough to garner multiple bids consistently. The new SBC is decidedly single-bid, based on this season's numbers.

In football, the new AAC maintains a narrow lead over the new Sun Belt. The new CUSA brings up the rear, but isn't too far behind. It's a crappy way to compare conferences, but if you average Sagarin's "predictor" scores, the AAC is about a point better than the SBC, and CUSA is about a field goal behind the SBC.

Bottom line in football: bowl games between the three leagues should be consistently competitive. It will all boil down to individual game match-ups.
01-24-2022 09:35 AM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

(01-24-2022 09:35 AM)whupemall Wrote:  
(01-23-2022 04:52 PM)rileylives Wrote:  While the new CUSA will be good at basketball, the new Sun Belt should be equally impressive in football.

I compared the Sagarin football and NET rankings for MBB about a week ago, and what you said summarizes my findings pretty nicely. (I won't share the numbers, since they're already a week out of date and rankings are changing constantly, but the summary is still valid, with the important caveat that this season's rankings aren't necessarily what we'll see in 2023-2024.)

The new AAC drops A LOT in hoops, but remains the top league, followed closely by the new CUSA. The Sun Belt didn't help themselves at all in the latest expansion.

The AAC should be strong enough to get 2 bids (and sometimes 3) on a regular basis. Despite its solid top-to-bottom average, the new CUSA will probably remain a single-bid league. The top isn't anywhere near strong enough to garner multiple bids consistently. The new SBC is decidedly single-bid, based on this season's numbers.

In football, the new AAC maintains a narrow lead over the new Sun Belt. The new CUSA brings up the rear, but isn't too far behind. It's a crappy way to compare conferences, but if you average Sagarin's "predictor" scores, the AAC is about a point better than the SBC, and CUSA is about a field goal behind the SBC.

Bottom line in football: bowl games between the three leagues should be consistently competitive. It will all boil down to individual game match-ups.

Well said, I'm kind of tired debating conferences. We're all G5, we're all trying to take down the big boys, and when the rubber meets the road, I still root for the top G5 team in the ny6 lineup.
01-24-2022 09:52 AM
JSUCleburneslim Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Jax State
The G5 should worry as a group about how it is going to move forward as. College football become a semi pro developmental league G5 schools cannot keep up and should formulate a collective plan on how to move forward.
01-25-2022 08:40 PM
BlazintheAtl1 Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
The new AAC will have traditionally strong programs in Memphis and Witchita St along with a rejuvenated UAB and an ascending UNT. If Temple can rebound and SMU continues to be strong then that's 5 Top 100 programs. I think the AAC can get two bid out of those 5. The only programs im really concerned about are UTSA and USF. We will need those two to get in the top 200.
01-26-2022 12:11 AM
Advertisement

JCMiner Offline
All American

I Root For: UTEP
(01-24-2022 09:35 AM)whupemall Wrote:  

I think the MW will be the top G5 league. CUSA has a good chance to constantly have half of their teams in the top 100. It will lack a premier top 25 team.
01-26-2022 06:09 AM
ESE84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice then UH

New Orleans BowlDonators
(01-26-2022 12:11 AM)BlazintheAtl1 Wrote:  The new AAC will have traditionally strong programs in Memphis and Witchita St along with a rejuvenated UAB and an ascending UNT. If Temple can rebound and SMU continues to be strong then that's 5 Top 100 programs. I think the AAC can get two bid out of those 5. The only programs im really concerned about are UTSA and USF. We will need those two to get in the top 200.

I’d like to hear more about what was really happening in back room discussions during 2021 amongst ESPN, the AAC, the MWC and North Texas/Rice/UTSA. Neither UTSA basketball nor Rice football seem to meet the P6 mantra of the AAC.
01-26-2022 08:26 AM
Engblazr Offline
Special Teams

(01-26-2022 12:11 AM)BlazintheAtl1 Wrote:  The new AAC will have traditionally strong programs in Memphis and Witchita St along with a rejuvenated UAB and an ascending UNT. If Temple can rebound and SMU continues to be strong then that's 5 Top 100 programs. I think the AAC can get two bid out of those 5. The only programs im really concerned about are UTSA and USF. We will need those two to get in the top 200.

USF is, if I’m recalling right, 203 in NET now. They have a lot less work than UTSA
01-26-2022 08:31 AM
Engblazr Offline
Special Teams

(01-26-2022 08:26 AM)ESE84 Wrote:  

I’d like to hear more about what was really happening in back room discussions during 2021 amongst ESPN, the AAC, the MWC and North Texas/Rice/UTSA. Neither UTSA basketball nor Rice football seem to meet the P6 mantra of the AAC.

I’m going to assume it all boiled down to who was ready to drop some big bucks to grow athletics. UAB basketball was strong in the 1980-2006 range and then fell off until last season. Football was trash until returning in 2017. Much as I love UAB, they haven’t been some G5 powerhouse. But they’ve been investing money and building facilities and showing what they can do, and I think that’s what they see in the rest. Rice is very very rich. I mean apart from this season, UTSA wasn’t an AAC “P6” football program either. That’s been ONE great season. But they showed willingness to invest. Them and ESPN determined who they could show on national TV and coupled with school investment, could be competitive. Of course that’s just my thoughts on it
01-26-2022 08:40 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.