Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Does Colorado State have what it takes to get into a P5 conference?
Bluedevil16 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Duke
Does Colorado State have what it takes to get into a P5 conference?
Good location and seems to have started putting money into their facilities. Would have to be the PAC or Big 12.
01-22-2022 05:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Gamenole Offline
All American

I Root For: S Carolina & Fla State
RE: Does Colorado State have what it takes to get into a P5 conference?
Demographics on their side, Colorado is a fast-growing state and has been for years. I don't think the PAC would have any interest though as long as they have the Buffaloes, but CSU makes a lot of sense to me if the Big XII does expand further after Texas & Oklahoma leave.
01-22-2022 06:56 PM
Renandpat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Central State
NO!!!
Now let's move on.
01-22-2022 07:01 PM
CarlSmithCenter Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ball So Hard U
(01-22-2022 06:56 PM)Gamenole Wrote:  Demographics on their side, Colorado is a fast-growing state and has been for years. I don't think the PAC would have any interest though as long as they have the Buffaloes, but CSU makes a lot of sense to me if the Big XII does expand further after Texas & Oklahoma leave.

The folks moving to Colorado from California aren’t likely going to have kids who play football, but, yes, CSU would easily fit into the new Big XII. Great college town, brand new football stadium, relatively short drive from the Denver Illuminati airport and plenty of craft beer and cannabis.
01-22-2022 07:09 PM
bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
(01-22-2022 07:09 PM)CarlSmithCenter Wrote:  
(01-22-2022 06:56 PM)Gamenole Wrote:  Demographics on their side, Colorado is a fast-growing state and has been for years. I don't think the PAC would have any interest though as long as they have the Buffaloes, but CSU makes a lot of sense to me if the Big XII does expand further after Texas & Oklahoma leave.

The folks moving to Colorado from California aren’t likely going to have kids who play football, but, yes, CSU would easily fit into the new Big XII. Great college town, brand new football stadium, relatively short drive from the Denver Illuminati airport and plenty of craft beer and cannabis.

Take note, Big 12.

04-cheers
01-22-2022 07:12 PM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course

The PAC has had closely paired schools for a long time. CSU and Colorado would work well. Add UNLV to sort of pair with Utah and you add a great destination city to the conference as well.
01-22-2022 07:31 PM
Advertisement

UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
I wonder where Colorado State would be today had Tom Jurich stayed there instead of going to Louisville.

Colorado State was supposed to be what Utah was in the first decade of the century but somehow they didn’t live to the expectations. If you’re a school president in the Big XII, there’s many things to like about Colorado State from academics to location to on campus facilities and a bridge to BYU.
01-22-2022 07:52 PM
Gamenole Offline
All American

I Root For: S Carolina & Fla State
(01-22-2022 07:31 PM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  

The PAC has had closely paired schools for a long time. CSU and Colorado would work well. Add UNLV to sort of pair with Utah and you add a great destination city to the conference as well.

That is a good point, their network is even structured that way isn't it? And I guess things are different now, Mizzou-A&M and Maryland-Rutgers to get into totally new markets was LAST big round of realignment.
01-22-2022 08:07 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
Institutionally a definite yes. Financially they are in a better position than anyone in G5 except maybe SMU. Were they are short is performance and fan enthusiasm.

Put another way if Basketball makes the tournament a couple times in the next few years and Football puts together some back to back 10 win seasons, then they would be on the short list for anyone looking at G5 schools. They would not be suffering any questions about the institution which schools like UNLV, Memphis or Boise State face.

But it doesn't matter if the autonomous conferences are not expanding, as they are the gatekeepers. Timing matters. Not only must you be acceptable academically, you have to be highly competitive at the exact moment when the power conferences are looking.
01-22-2022 08:11 PM
PicksUp Offline
1st String

I Root For: UTEP, Texas
Im not sure.

How would they rank compared to Boise St, San Diego St, SMU, Memphis or USF?
01-22-2022 08:32 PM
Big 12 fan too Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
No.

Only two conferences possibly have the brands needed to subsidize at the level needed for CSU- SEC and BIG. Maybe only the SEC. For example, if for some reason the SEC wanted USF tbe the second Florida school due to better expansion of the footprint, USF soon reaches parity with FSU. The SEC is the kingmaker in football. But they have no need to “buy low” like the other P5’s
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2022 08:42 PM by Big 12 fan too.)
01-22-2022 08:41 PM
Advertisement

Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
I feel like Colorado St is that program that probably should have gotten their crap together 2 decades ago and gotten themselves into a major conference but never worked up the gumption to actually do it.
01-22-2022 09:17 PM
Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
It depends on how many spots are left.

The number could be anywhere from 0 (no further expansion) to 32+ (if all P5 go to 20 and no conference is eliminated, plus backfills).

Assuming SEC is done at 16 (though Kansas, UNC, Duke, NC state, UVA, VT, FSU, Clemson, and ND could all be on the table, or even say Michigan/Ohio State if they go to 24):

If the Big 10 goes to 16 with say Kansas/ND

then the Big 12 would need 5 spots to get to 16. I could easily see CSU, Memphis, USF, SMU and SDSU being the 5.

If the PAC wanted to expand I think CSU is a shoo in for a spot somewhere, since that would mean 7-9 total spots.
01-23-2022 12:01 AM
AuzGrams Offline
1st String

I Root For: Utah, UVU, UNC bb
No. Their football program has been trash in the Mountain West.
01-23-2022 12:09 AM
TroyTBoy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Troy The Boy
(01-22-2022 05:34 PM)Bluedevil16 Wrote:  Good location and seems to have started putting money into their facilities. Would have to be the PAC or Big 12.

If Colorado State moves conferences, it will likely be the following conferences.

American Athletic: 50% Chance
Pac 12: 25%
Big 12: 25%
01-23-2022 12:14 AM
46566 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Gonzaga
I'd say yes. I'd think they get into the Pac 12. It adds a rivalry game to the conference schedule plus it frees up ooc scheduling for both Colorado and Colorado State to schedule other schools. Assuming the PAC 12 goes to 14 and wanted 1 outlier per division then it's either Colorado State or Utah State to the Pac 12 south.
PAC 14 North
Washington State
Washington
Oregon
Oregon State
California
Stanford
Boise State (or Hawaii all sports to work week zero)

PAC 14 South
USC
UCLA
Arizona
Arizona State
Colorado
Utah
Utah State or Colorado State

It would make traveling easier kinda with at least a solid pair of teams. I'd think Boise State might be the best other option available unless they go with Fresno State or San Jose to the North.
01-23-2022 01:32 AM
Advertisement

joeben69 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: sdsu, ucsd, usd
(01-23-2022 01:32 AM)46566 Wrote:  I'd say yes. I'd think they get into the Pac 12. It adds a rivalry game to the conference schedule plus it frees up ooc scheduling for both Colorado and Colorado State to schedule other schools. Assuming the PAC 12 goes to 14 and wanted 1 outlier per division then it's either Colorado State or Utah State to the Pac 12 south.
PAC 14 North
Washington State
Washington
Oregon
Oregon State
California
Stanford
Boise State (or Hawaii all sports to work week zero)

PAC 14 South
USC
UCLA
Arizona
Arizona State
Colorado
Utah
Utah State or Colorado State

It would make traveling easier kinda with at least a solid pair of teams. I'd think Boise State might be the best other option available unless they go with Fresno State or San Jose to the North.

PAC 16 in this scenario would be able to include

PAC 16 North
Boise State
Hawaii

PAC 16 South
Utah State
Colorado State

The PAC has had a history of pairing schools from the same state...same region (Cal/Stanford,UCLA/USC)...and adjacent states (UT/CO)...the above scenario would fit into the PAC pairing scheme...
01-23-2022 02:15 AM
AuzGrams Offline
1st String

I Root For: Utah, UVU, UNC bb
If the PAC wanted to add MWC schools. I think they’d add Boise State, San Diego State, UNLV & New Mexico or Fresno State before they add Utah State or Colorado State.
01-23-2022 02:52 AM
All4One Offline
Banned

I Root For: Genuine & Unprivileged
Do they have an $80 million budget, and are they okay being a taxable for-profit institution?
01-23-2022 03:09 AM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

One question for CSU was will the XII ever look west for members. That is no longer a question as they've added BYU. CSU can now fill a geographic hole for the XII just like Cincinnati does between WVU and the great plains schools.

CSU I think fits in well culturally too with ISU, KSU, OSU as a land grant school. There is chemistry and the same could be said for Memphis in a basketball conference with the XII schools. Those would be my 2 picks for the XII.

Others in contention:

-Boise St has credibility issues and is even further away than BYU.

-SMU might have some issues getting into the XII as they already have 4 Texas universities.

-USF would have to dominate the AAC to become back in the conversation. I place the chances of that at 25%.

-SDSU/UNLV could get into the PAC if the B1G takes the California schools.
01-23-2022 04:08 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.