Billy Gillispie
01-16-2022 01:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

YesCubanB Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NMSU
RE: Billy Gillispie
Can you or anyone explain if there really is “incentives” offered to students to attend games at GCU? I’ve heard it said a lot I just never knew if there was truth behind it. In my view if NMSU said they were gonna find a way to offer students perks to fill up the student section at football and basketball games I’d be like great. Whatever you gotta do. GCU has made attending games THE thing to do on campus. If you can get student engagement like that not only do you create an amazing game atmosphere but you start cultivating future life long fans and donors of the program.
01-16-2022 01:44 PM
PojoaquePosse Offline
Blowhard

(01-16-2022 01:44 PM)YesCubanB Wrote:  Can you or anyone explain if there really is “incentives” offered to students to attend games at GCU? I’ve heard it said a lot I just never knew if there was truth behind it. In my view if NMSU said they were gonna find a way to offer students perks to fill up the student section at football and basketball games I’d be like great. Whatever you gotta do. GCU has made attending games THE thing to do on campus. If you can get student engagement like that not only do you create an amazing game atmosphere but you start cultivating future life long fans and donors of the program.

I know the havoc leaders are a paid position. Not sure how much they get paid or how many there are. I’m thinking not many. Posters have also said kids get a free meal or food at the game.
01-16-2022 02:01 PM
Todor Online
Heisman

I Root For: New Mexico State
(01-16-2022 01:06 PM)Lopes87 Wrote:  https://twitter.com/GCU_Lopes/status/148...nWkJMpAAAA

HAHA

Oh Lord, Billy's hittin' the sauce again.
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2022 05:33 PM by Todor.)
01-16-2022 04:35 PM
DZ1 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: GCU
(01-16-2022 02:01 PM)PojoaquePosse Wrote:  
(01-16-2022 01:44 PM)YesCubanB Wrote:  Can you or anyone explain if there really is “incentives” offered to students to attend games at GCU? I’ve heard it said a lot I just never knew if there was truth behind it. In my view if NMSU said they were gonna find a way to offer students perks to fill up the student section at football and basketball games I’d be like great. Whatever you gotta do. GCU has made attending games THE thing to do on campus. If you can get student engagement like that not only do you create an amazing game atmosphere but you start cultivating future life long fans and donors of the program.

I know the havoc leaders are a paid position. Not sure how much they get paid or how many there are. I’m thinking not many. Posters have also said kids get a free meal or food at the game.
GCU does not "pay" a single student to attend games nor do they get class credit. I sense some jealousy (and ignorance) in Gillispie's remarks. The top tier Havoc leader positions are student-worker positions that students apply for. So if you consider a student-worker a "paid" position then, yes, the Havoc leaders get paid. Of course, all universities have student-worker positions. Not sure why other universities do not create similar positions.

How come so many students attend GCU athletic events? In my opinion, it has to do with focus. The university designs the whole atmosphere around the students. The game itself is not THE entertainment, it is part of the entertainment. Students (even non-basketball fans) go to the games because it is the place to be.

As I've stated in past posts, GCU is all about creating an atmosphere that is geared towards the college age student. GCU is purposely and unapologetically student-centric. It is not geared towards boosters or long-term season ticket holders. If us older fans had our way, the arena would not be so loud and there would be more of a focus on the game itself. However, it is not about us. It is about the students, and it seems to be working.
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2022 04:55 PM by DZ1.)
01-16-2022 04:53 PM
Advertisement

Todor Online
Heisman

(01-16-2022 04:53 PM)DZ1 Wrote:  

GCU does not "pay" a single student to attend games nor do they get class credit. I sense some jealousy (and ignorance) in Gillispie's remarks. The top tier Havoc leader positions are student-worker positions that students apply for. So if you consider a student-worker a "paid" position then, yes, the Havoc leaders get paid. Of course, all universities have student-worker positions. Not sure why other universities do not create similar positions.

How come so many students attend GCU athletic events? In my opinion, it has to do with focus. The university designs the whole atmosphere around the students. The game itself is not THE entertainment, it is part of the entertainment. Students (even non-basketball fans) go to the games because it is the place to be.

As I've stated in past posts, GCU is all about creating an atmosphere that is geared towards the college age student. GCU is purposely and unapologetically student-centric. It is not geared towards boosters or long-term season ticket holders. If us older fans had our way, the arena would not be so loud and there would be more of a focus on the game itself. However, it is not about us. It is about the students, and it seems to be working.

Truth be told, I doubt GCU is doing one single thing that other schools don't also do.
01-16-2022 05:36 PM
PojoaquePosse Offline
Blowhard

GCU can do that because money is no object. They don’t need paying fans.
01-16-2022 06:01 PM
DZ1 Offline
2nd String

(01-16-2022 06:01 PM)PojoaquePosse Wrote:  

Perhaps that is true to a point. Although, I do think GCU has more paying fans then anyone else in the WAC except NMSU. I gave a lengthy explanation of that in a previous post. GCU is definitely not losing money on their home games.
01-16-2022 06:31 PM
chrisattsu Offline
Mom's Favorite

I Root For: Tarleton / TXST
Kudos the Havoc for filling the arena. The atmosphere is what makes College sports what it is. If you guys are creating a fun environment and the fans enjoy it, you're doing it right.
01-16-2022 09:37 PM
Advertisement

Todor Online
Heisman

(01-16-2022 06:31 PM)DZ1 Wrote:  
(01-16-2022 06:01 PM)PojoaquePosse Wrote:  

Perhaps that is true to a point. Although, I do think GCU has more paying fans then anyone else in the WAC except NMSU. I gave a lengthy explanation of that in a previous post. GCU is definitely not losing money on their home games.

There is no limit of schools with enough money to support a great home basketball atmosphere, but for some reason don't. There's a lot of very rich schools that spend hundreds of millions on athletics that play in mostly empty, dead arenas. Money isn't the key. Drive is the key. And GCU is more driven than most.

I'd ask any critic of GCU basketball attendance--do their students look and act they are there because they have to be or are just doing it it for "course credit?" Come on...
01-17-2022 06:01 AM
TexanFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tarleton
(01-16-2022 09:37 PM)chrisattsu Wrote:  Kudos the Havoc for filling the arena. The atmosphere is what makes College sports what it is. If you guys are creating a fun environment and the fans enjoy it, you're doing it right.

This!!!!!!
01-17-2022 09:50 AM
SammyH Offline
Banned

I Root For: Sam Houston St
GCU isn’t a real school exactly so I’d imagine those “fans” are just people payed by the university. In fact, I’d bet most big GCU fans who attend games didn’t even go there. I mean c’mon. Nobody ACTUALLY fills up an arena to watch WAC basketball.
01-17-2022 11:14 AM
DZ1 Offline
2nd String

(01-17-2022 11:14 AM)SammyH Wrote:  GCU isn’t a real school exactly so I’d imagine those “fans” are just people payed by the university. In fact, I’d bet most big GCU fans who attend games didn’t even go there. I mean c’mon. Nobody ACTUALLY fills up an arena to watch WAC basketball.
You got me. This "big" GCU fan did not go to GCU. Guilty as charged! Not sure what you are implying though. Are you complimenting GCU on their ability to get buy-in from fans who did not even attend the university? If yes, I agree with you.

Oh, and GCU does fill up an arena to watch WAC basketball games as evidenced by every home game this season. It is being done. Why it is not being done elsewhere is the question we should be asking.
01-17-2022 03:54 PM
Advertisement

TallTexan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: SFA, UT

[/quote]

Student worker jobs are jobs, so yes I would consider that paid. It's a good idea though, if the athletic dept/school can afford it. I've even suggested having paid Purple Haze leaders at SFA.

I think you're right though on making the students the focus. For most other athletic departments, it's about making the donors happy. And not only do the student athletes appreciate a great crowd, they're also college students so they probably appreciate the rest of the atmosphere as well, even if they're on the court.
01-18-2022 01:56 PM
wisdomgymrat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tarleton State
Whatever they are doing, they are doing it the right way for their students and campus. Congrats to them. It is very impressive to see. Good luck the rest of the way.
01-18-2022 02:07 PM
KINGALLISON Offline
2nd String

I Root For: New Mexico St
GCU basketball is just propaganda.
01-20-2022 01:58 PM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
(01-20-2022 01:58 PM)KINGALLISON Wrote:  GCU basketball is just propaganda.

Propaganda or otherwise, I'd gladly add GCU if they came our way.
01-21-2022 02:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.