Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Game #15 Hofstra
Bookmark and Share
EvanJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hofstra and FSU
Game #15 Hofstra
Hofstra said Zach Cooks will not play. Before being injured, he led the CAA with 16.1 points, but he now hasn't played in 75 percent of games to qualify. He is fourth in the CAA with 4.0 assists. Teammate Aaron Estrada scored 30 today to take the CAA lead in scoring, and he leads in assists. Sub forward Kvonn Cramer missed today's game, while sub forward Jarrod Simmons returned from injury. He played 5 minutes in the first game on November 9 and hadn't played since. As usual, Hofstra doesn't use many players. Estrada, fifth year player Jalen Ray, Darlinstone Dubar, Omar Silverio (in place of Cooks), and Abayomi Iyiola will start if they are available. Hofstra has used ten players. Ray, Silverio, Cramer, and Caleb Burgess are the guys who played for them last season; Jaquan Carlos is a freshman; and Cooks, Estrada, Dubar, Iyiola, and Simmons are transfers. Iyiola is their only starting forward.

Hofstra has an extremly good assist/turnover of 1.59. Today they had more points off turnovers than Delaware 35 to 10. Hofstra shoots free throws very well, but doesn't attempt many. Hofstra's weaknesses are rebounding and defending threes.

https://static.caasports.com/custompages...M#team.ind has Hofstra's statistics.
01-15-2022 07:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Timer Offline
2nd String

I Root For: CAA
RE: Game #15 Hofstra
Thanks for the background Evan!
01-15-2022 08:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dan10 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Drexel
Short-handed this will be a tough one. Add to it the 2 day turn around from Boston and this will be a prayer. Hofstra has the best guard tandem and always has more ready to go. They dont turn it over and we dont try to force any. This will be a contest on how well we stay in front of our defender and dont get worn down with our lack of depth we will have. If we get crazy hot from 3 we can probably hang, but pulling a win may be a pretty big ask. I have little faith we can win against the best team in the conference on the road on one days rest with 7 players. Now go prove me wrong Dragons!

DU- 62
HU- 83
01-16-2022 09:07 AM
EvanJ Offline
1st String

Wynter passed Towson's Terry Nolan Jr. for second in assists per game, and his 4.77 are barely behind Hofstra's Aaron Estrada's 4.82. If the season was over now, Wynter would be second in the CAA for the fourth consecutive season behind a different player each season. He finished behind UNCW's Kai Toews, who went back to Japan during the following season; Hofstra's Desure Buie, who graduated after that; and Hofstra's Caleb Burgess, who averages 2.6 in 13.7 minutes this season. Wynter was 2.3 behind first as a freshman, then 0.8 behind, then 0.4 behind. Congratulations to him for passing 500 assists yesterday. He has 507, and at his average it will take him four games to pass UNCW's John Goldsberry's 530 for tenth in CAA history. He could pass VCU's Joey Rodriguez for the most by a CAA player in the 2010s and 2020s, and maybe pass George Mason's Curtis McCants for fifth. McCants has 594. If Wynter plays a fifth season, he should break Doug Wojcik's CAA record of 714. Wojcik played for Navy and got to pass to David Robinson, who has CAA records for points and rebounds.

I think you'll score over 62. Hofstra has so many scorers that they can have their leading scorer out, Darlinstone Dubar score 8 to decrease his average to 12.2, Abayomi Iyiola score 4 to decrease his average to 8.7, and still score 82. Hofstra shoots free throws .795, and their players who played yesterday shoot free throws .837.

Out of 358 teams, Hofstra is sixth in assist/turnover at 1.59 (the top team not in the ACC, Big Ten, or A10), eighth in free throw percentage at .795 (with the 14th fewest attempts per game), 38th with 16.2 assists, 20th with 10.2 turnovers, and 27th in two-point field goal percentage at .564. Hofstra likes to shoot threes, which they are shooting worse recently. Hofstra is shooting threes .360 nonconference and .284 in CAA games.

The CAA has 13 individual statistics. Hofstra and you have five leaders, and no other team has more than one.

Edit: https://gohofstra.com/news/2022/1/16/men...ntest.aspx is Hofstra's preview. https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/h...game18.pdf is Hofstra's Game Notes.

The game is at 4:00 P.M.

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=368971 will have statistics.
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2022 06:11 PM by EvanJ.)
01-16-2022 12:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dan10 Offline
Heisman

Hofstra is an 8 point favorite today
01-17-2022 08:19 AM
Advertisement

hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

i'm not going to be too doom and gloom here. we played our best game of the season on saturday. we're short...but not short the pieces we really need. hearing this fatigue stuff doesn't register as a 37 year old who runs almost 60 miles per week with 1 day off. if we can avoid getting into a track meet with them...i think we can get them frustrated enough to at least take bad shots if not turn the ball over. i'll take us by 5 because i have to.
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2022 01:37 PM by hiroshimacarp.)
01-17-2022 01:37 PM
DrachenFire Offline
2nd String

Hoping that we see the NU game Cam the rest of the way and we can keep Amari rolling and out of foul trouble and maybe we can get Mate to actually shoot and, most important - not turn the ball over, maybe we can steal this one.
01-17-2022 02:57 PM
EvanJ Offline
1st String

Both teams are halfway to dan10's prediction of Drexel scoring 62. Bell has 13 points and 3 assists. Wynter has 4 points, 2 rebounds, and 1 assist. Williams has 1 point, 7 rebounds, and the only block for either team. Jalen Ray and Aaron Estrada have 10, and Estrada has all 5 of Hofstra's assists.
01-17-2022 04:57 PM
DrachenFire Offline
2nd String

As someone who is tired of moral victories, that was a heck of an effort by only 7 guys on a tough road trip. Hopefully we start to replenish the ranks and play with the same intensity the rest of the way.
01-17-2022 05:54 PM
Advertisement

Timer Offline
2nd String

(01-17-2022 05:54 PM)DrachenFire Wrote:  As someone who is tired of moral victories, that was a heck of an effort by only 7 guys on a tough road trip. Hopefully we start to replenish the ranks and play with the same intensity the rest of the way.

...and in my opinion Wynter was fouled on the last basket.
01-17-2022 06:08 PM
EvanJ Offline
1st String

Hofstra won 71-68. In the first half, Drexel led by 7, Hofstra went up 2, Drexel went up 7, and it was 31-31 at halftime. The largest lead of the second half was 6 by Hofstra, but Drexel took the lead after that. You might have won if you hadn't called timeout to negate Darlinstone Dubar missing the first of a one-and-one, and he made both. Aaron Estrada was shooting free throws .952 before shooting a one-and-one on Hofstra's next possession. His first shot rolled on the rim, went in, and he made both. The game ended with Wynter's three to tie rimming out. Okros got the offensive rebound and had time to shoot, but shooting a two wouldn't have helped unless he got fouled, and he passed the ball to a guy behind the three-point lane too late to shoot. It was the second time in the last seven head-to-head games that ended with you down 3 and missing a three.

Hofstra alumnus, author, and blogger Jerry Beach likes the show It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. If you won, today would have been Saved by the Bell. Bell shot 13-17, made 10 of 11 twos, and led all players with 30 points, and led you with 5 assists. Wynter had 13 points, 7 rebounds, and 2 assists. Martin had 8 points and 8 rebounds. Williams shot 1-6 and free throws 2-3 to score 4. He led all players with 9 rebounds and 2 blocks. Okros had 6 points and 6 rebounds. Washington scored 5. Juric scored 2. For the second consecutive game, you used seven players. Hofstra was led by Aaron Estrada with 26 points, 8 assists, and 5 rebounds. He continued to shoot threes poorly as he missed all 4, and he had two threes reviewed and changed to twos. Jalen Ray is now a bench player who plays most of the time. He shot 8-14 and scored 18. Darlinstone Dubar scored 15. Abayomi Iyiola scored 3 and tied Williams with 9 rebounds, so they had similar statistics. You had 7 more rebounds. Hofstra committed only 5 turnovers, but you had 11 points off them, and Hofstra had 4 points off your 10 turnovers. I wonder how rare it is for a team to have at least double the turnovers and at least double the points off turnovers.

There were 23 lead changes, and nobody led by more than 3 in the last 9:19. Counting a three-point play as one score, from 6:57 to 0:48 all ten scores were lead changes.

The other afternoon game was a blowout. Elon got an offensive rebound and dunk with 2 seconds left to reach 90 and win 90-67 hosting JMU. Hunter McIntosh, Darius Burford, and Kris Wooten combined to make 17 of 27 threes and have 13 assists. The teams combined to not use 4 timeouts, there weren't fouls trying to come back in a close game, and that game ended 19 minutes after your game.
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2022 07:03 PM by EvanJ.)
01-17-2022 06:26 PM
Timer Offline
2nd String

(01-17-2022 06:26 PM)EvanJ Wrote:  Hofstra won 71-68. In the first half, Drexel led by 7, Hofstra went up 2, Drexel went up 7, and it was 31-31 at halftime. The largest lead of the second half was 6 by Hofstra, but Drexel took the lead after that. You might have won if you hadn't called timeout to negate Darlinstone Dubar missing the first of a one-and-one, and he made both. Aaron Estrada was shooting free throws .952 before shooting a one-and-one on Hofstra's next possession. His first shot rolled on the rim, went in, and he made both. The game ended with Wynter's three to tie rimming out. Okros got the offensive rebound and had time to shoot, but shooting a two wouldn't have helped unless he got fouled, and he passed the ball to a guy behind the three-point lane too late to shoot. It was the second time in the last seven head-to-head games that ended with you down 3 and missing a three.

Hofstra alumnus, author, and blogger Jerry Beach likes the show It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. If you won, today would have been Saved by the Bell. Bell shot 13-17, made 10 of 11 twos, and led all players with 30 points, and led you with 5 assists. Wynter had 13 points, 7 rebounds, and 2 assists. Martin had 8 points and 8 rebounds. Williams shot 1-6 and free throws 2-3 to score 4. He led all players with 9 rebounds and 2 blocks. Okros had 6 points and 6 rebounds. Washington scored 5. Juric scored 2. For the second consecutive game, you used seven player. Hofstra was led by Aaron Estrada with 26 points, 8 assists, and 5 rebounds. He continued to shoot threes poorly as he missed all 4, and he had two threes reviewed and changed to twos. Jalen Ray is now a bench player who plays most of the time. He shot 8-14 and scored 18. Darlinstone Dubar scored 15. Abayomi Iyiola scored 3 and tied Williams with 9 rebounds, so they had similar statistics. You had 7 more rebounds. Hofstra committed only 5 turnovers, but you had 11 points off them, and Hofstra had 4 points off your 10 turnovers. I wonder how rare it is for a team to have at least double the turnovers and at least double the points off turnovers.

There were 23 lead changes, and nobody led by more than 3 in the last 9:19. Counting a three-point play as one score, from 6:57 to 0:48 all ten scores were lead changes.

The other afternoon game was a blowout. Elon got an offensive rebound and dunk with 2 seconds left to reach 90 and win 90-67. Hunter McIntosh, Darius Burford, and Kris Wooten combined to make 17 of 27 threes and have 13 assists. The teams combined to not use 4 timeouts, there weren't fouls trying to come back in a close game, and that game ended 19 minutes after your game.

Good summary Evan. It was a heck of a game to watch.
01-17-2022 06:28 PM
EvanJ Offline
1st String

(01-17-2022 06:28 PM)Timer Wrote:  Good summary Evan. It was a heck of a game to watch.
Your welcome.

The analytics tab has statistics including efficiency, game score, and net points. Net points is not the plus/minus while the player is on the court, and today it added to 17.2 for the teams combined. In all three of those, Bell was player of the game, Estrada was second, Ray was third, and Dubar was fourth.

https://drexeldragons.com/news/2022/1/17...71-68.aspx is titled "Hoftra Edges Drexel in Hempstead, 71-68." They misspelled Hofstra. https://drexeldragons.com/sports/mens-ba...score/9218 is the box score.
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2022 07:04 PM by EvanJ.)
01-17-2022 06:58 PM
Advertisement

dan10 Offline
Heisman

With only 7 guys, if there was ever a time for a moral victory this was it. I know we lost, but this was a great result in a really tough spot. I was surprised that Hofstra was not able to get out and run much more against us, keeping the score in check all game long.
01-18-2022 07:23 AM
hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

really good game on both sides and well played. hofstra proved they can play in the half court. if you would have told me fast break points would be 2-2...i would've said we win by double digits.

any ideas how we could have taken away that midrange game? 3-2 zone was one idea i had. usually you'll allow midrange jumpers but when they're killing you with it you have to adjust.
01-18-2022 10:07 AM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

You do, but with how good Hofstra typically is from 3. I am willing to concede bad shots (mid range jumpers) instead of giving up 3's or buckets at the rim. To me that is a worthwhile tradeoff. If they keep making them, you tip your hat and move on. With that said, stay in front of your man, and move your feet. If they keep hitting contested shots, there is not much you can do.
01-18-2022 10:18 AM
DrachenFire Offline
2nd String

(01-17-2022 06:08 PM)Timer Wrote:  
(01-17-2022 05:54 PM)DrachenFire Wrote:  As someone who is tired of moral victories, that was a heck of an effort by only 7 guys on a tough road trip. Hopefully we start to replenish the ranks and play with the same intensity the rest of the way.

...and in my opinion Wynter was fouled on the last basket.

Thought maybe he got hit but couldn't really tell with the quality of the stream
01-18-2022 10:27 AM
EvanJ Offline
1st String

(01-18-2022 10:18 AM)dan10 Wrote:  You do, but with how good Hofstra typically is from 3. I am willing to concede bad shots (mid range jumpers) instead of giving up 3's or buckets at the rim. To me that is a worthwhile tradeoff. If they keep making them, you tip your hat and move on. With that said, stay in front of your man, and move your feet. If they keep hitting contested shots, there is not much you can do.
Hofstra is in a slump shooting threes. Hofstra is shooting threes .360 nonconference and .280 in CAA games.
01-18-2022 12:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.