Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Miggy’s basketball stories
Bookmark and Share
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
Miggy’s basketball stories
Here you go, Miggy. Use this thread to post your stories. Ramy and I and others who choose to read them - great. Those who do not can skip over it. I’ll share a Larry Bird story shortly.
01-14-2022 08:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
RE: Miggy’s basketball stories
A proverb: The one who has knowledge uses words with restraint.
01-14-2022 08:47 AM
Miggy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Eastern Michigan and Tem
(01-14-2022 08:08 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  Here you go, Miggy. Use this thread to post your stories. Ramy and I and others who choose to read them - great. Those who do not can skip over it. I’ll share a Larry Bird story shortly.

Tell your Larry Bird story.
01-14-2022 11:46 AM
KPJ Offline
1st String

I like storytelling....
My understanding is that Charles Woodson isn't big on signing autographs when he's at charity events.
I met him at one in 2014 and shared with him that my wife is allowed to have one celebrity crush and he is hers.
So it would really help me out if you could sign this to her for me.
He looked at me... Smiled... Laughed... Said that was a new one... and gave me his autograph.

Also....
I recently got to sit courtside at the Bucks/Rockets game. It was a pretty cool experience.
Even made a video about it. https://www.tiktok.com/@3namez/video/704..._webapp=v1
01-14-2022 11:57 AM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

(01-14-2022 11:57 AM)KPJ Wrote:  I like storytelling....
My understanding is that Charles Woodson isn't big on signing autographs when he's at charity events.
I met him at one in 2014 and shared with him that my wife is allowed to have one celebrity crush and he is hers.
So it would really help me out if you could sign this to her for me.
He looked at me... Smiled... Laughed... Said that was a new one... and gave me his autograph.

Also....
I recently got to sit courtside at the Bucks/Rockets game. It was a pretty cool experience.
Even made a video about it. https://www.tiktok.com/@3namez/video/704..._webapp=v1

That’s awesome!!
01-14-2022 12:00 PM
Advertisement

Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

Pull up a chair, slip off your shoes, pour yourself a drink. It's Storytime with Miggy.
01-14-2022 12:40 PM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

(01-14-2022 12:40 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  Pull up a chair, slip off your shoes, pour yourself a drink. It's Storytime with Miggy.

Go away!
01-14-2022 01:52 PM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(01-14-2022 01:52 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  
(01-14-2022 12:40 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  Pull up a chair, slip off your shoes, pour yourself a drink. It's Storytime with Miggy.

Go away!

03-lmfao
01-14-2022 04:29 PM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

Miggy,

Bob W must really love our posts because he keeps coming back for more!
01-14-2022 05:06 PM
Advertisement

Miggy Offline
1st String

(01-14-2022 05:06 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  Miggy,

Agree. Can’t restrain himself from reading my posts. Seems like a man crush.
01-14-2022 06:45 PM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan
I once had intercourse with the wife of a current D1 head coach. Before she was married, of course.

That’s it. Short story, I know. (That’s what she said).
01-14-2022 07:28 PM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

(01-14-2022 06:45 PM)Miggy Wrote:  
(01-14-2022 05:06 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  Miggy,

Agree. Can’t restrain himself from reading my posts. Seems like a man crush.

Bob sees a Miggy post…

03-cloud9
01-14-2022 07:29 PM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

Ok my Larry Bird story:

Back in the late 80s or early 90s, Larry wrote an autobiography book that he titled “Drive”. Larry was my favorite NBA player. Some of my best memories when I was a teenager were coming home after church and watching Larry vs Magic when the Celtics and Lakers squared off. I was a big fan of magic, but an even bigger fan of Bird. Those games were so evenly matched. To me this was one of the very few NBA matchups that had an atmosphere similar to a college rivalry. Back in the day, if you came 2 hours before the game, you could make your way a few feet from the court and watch the players warm up. So after Larry’s book came out towards the end of his career, I decided to purchase tickets and get him to sign his book Drive. So when the Celtics pulled into Auburn Hills to play the Celtics, I was there a few hours before tipoff. Larry came out and did his pregame shooting warmup and stretching exercises. Interestingly enough, isiah Thomas did come over and talk to Bird but no other Piston ventured over to the megastar Celtic. Everyone knows these teams hated each other. When Larry got done with his warmups, he exited the court and walked towards the locker room. I was close by and called out to him with his book in my hand. He walked over to me and was about ready to sign his book for me. However, all of a sudden at the time Bird got to me a teenager autograph seeker converged on me at the same time. The kid stuck his paper out to Larry and asked him to sign it. The kid had a piece of paper but no pen. So Larry took my felt pen marker, signed the kids paper and proceeded to hand the paper and pen back to the teenager. The kid took off with my pen and left Bord and I standing there with Bird holding Drive but no writing utensil. So Bird in his French lick twang, handed the book back to me and said “You ain’t got no pen”

True story - I have the book but no autograph. I was devastated :-)
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2022 01:13 PM by Luckeyone.)
01-15-2022 01:12 PM
Advertisement

RamyEMU Offline
All American

(01-15-2022 01:12 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  Ok my Larry Bird story:

Back in the late 80s or early 90s, Larry wrote an autobiography book that he titled “Drive”. Larry was my favorite NBA player. Some of my best memories when I was a teenager were coming home after church and watching Larry vs Magic when the Celtics and Lakers squared off. I was a big fan of magic, but an even bigger fan of Bird. Those games were so evenly matched. To me this was one of the very few NBA matchups that had an atmosphere similar to a college rivalry. Back in the day, if you came 2 hours before the game, you could make your way a few feet from the court and watch the players warm up. So after Larry’s book came out towards the end of his career, I decided to purchase tickets and get him to sign his book Drive. So when the Celtics pulled into Auburn Hills to play the Celtics, I was there a few hours before tipoff. Larry came out and did his pregame shooting warmup and stretching exercises. Interestingly enough, isiah Thomas did come over and talk to Bird but no other Piston ventured over to the megastar Celtic. Everyone knows these teams hated each other. When Larry got done with his warmups, he exited the court and walked towards the locker room. I was close by and called out to him with his book in my hand. He walked over to me and was about ready to sign his book for me. However, all of a sudden at the time Bird got to me a teenager autograph seeker converged on me at the same time. The kid stuck his paper out to Larry and asked him to sign it. The kid had a piece of paper but no pen. So Larry took my felt pen marker, signed the kids paper and proceeded to hand the paper and pen back to the teenager. The kid took off with my pen and left Bord and I standing there with Bird holding Drive but no writing utensil. So Bird in his French lick twang, handed the book back to me and said “You ain’t got no pen”

Oh my goodness, that would be a hilarious story if it wasn’t so tragic! Unfortunately, I am literally laughing out loud (I do sympathize, though)
01-15-2022 01:29 PM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

(01-14-2022 07:28 PM)holybovine Wrote:  I once had intercourse with the wife of a current D1 head coach. Before she was married, of course.

Did that really happen? Or just a fictional setup for the punchline? Funny either way!
01-15-2022 01:30 PM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

So when I was probably 10 or so during the Pistons “Bad Boy” era, I was at the auto show with my family. My sister and I noticed John “Spider Man” Salley walking by. He had 2 large Pepsi cups, one in each hand. He walked to a seat off to the side, sat down, and proceeded to drink both Pepsis. I had to wait until he finished, but got an autograph afterwards. It felt a little surreal that I just met a “Bad Boy”. It also felt a little surreal that someone would be able to drink two large pops- as a ten year old, I would be lucky if my parents bought me ONE SMALL pop. I guess if you are rich and really tall, that’s how you drink pop!!
01-15-2022 01:45 PM
Miggy Offline
1st String

(01-15-2022 01:29 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  
(01-15-2022 01:12 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  Ok my Larry Bird story:

Oh my goodness, that would be a hilarious story if it wasn’t so tragic! Unfortunately, I am literally laughing out loud (I do sympathize, though)

That’s awful.

I was on the field at a SF giants pre-season game in Arizona. I was then look coaching an American Legion baseball team at the time.

I approached sinker ball pitcher and starter Bill Swift. He was surrounded by reporters. I had read an article that his father had taught him how to throw a sinker. I asked him if that was true.

The minute I mentioned his dad, he stopped talking to reporters and he gave me his undivided attention and started talking to me. He said that was true and he had watery eyes as he started to talk about his dad.

I then handed him a ball and asked if I could trace how he gripped the ball. Even though reporters were yelling out questions, he said “Sure” and he held the ball as I traced his fingers. He handed the ball back to me. Seemed to really liked the opportunity to speak about his dad.
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2022 02:21 PM by Miggy.)
01-15-2022 02:20 PM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

(01-15-2022 01:30 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  
(01-14-2022 07:28 PM)holybovine Wrote:  I once had intercourse with the wife of a current D1 head coach. Before she was married, of course.

Did that really happen? Or just a fictional setup for the punchline? Funny either way!

True story.
01-15-2022 03:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.