Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Kent State vs. Akron
fallsdog Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State
Kent State vs. Akron
The Flashes host the Zips tonight at 8PM Eastern Standard in a game that will be broadcast on the CBS Sports Network.

Go Flashes!
01-14-2022 06:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

AlphaFlash Online
All American

I Root For: Kent St. & UNC
RE: Kent State vs. Akron
Similar situation we were in 2 years ago, Kent slumping, Akron contending. Akron stunk the gym up. Anything can happen in a rivalry game.
01-14-2022 02:10 PM
ksur1 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: kent state
Just hope Gio his back. If so, maybe Carry won’t do his Harlem Globe Trotter dribbling act.
01-14-2022 02:15 PM
luckyflash Offline
1st String

I Root For: GOLDEN FLASHES
This has to be the least anticipated Kent Zippy game I can remember. Just no buzz, no students, it will be probably the smallest attendance in quite a while.

With that being said the zips still suck and GO FLASHES!!!
01-14-2022 05:38 PM
goldenflash13 Offline
Water Engineer

Up 3 at half. Off to a good start.
01-14-2022 09:02 PM
Muskrat Offline
1st String

Amazing what can happen if you just shoot half ways decently. 46% so far compared to all those sub 40% games. It's not rocket science. As one of my coaches always screamed, "Just put the ball in the damn hole!"
01-14-2022 10:07 PM
Advertisement

fallsdog Offline
All American

Add defense to the above. Nice win
01-14-2022 10:20 PM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
What a performance to have Carry dump 32 on them in a lower scoring game.
01-14-2022 10:28 PM
Older and Older Offline
Special Teams

Nice win. Now let’s see which team shows up Tue. Consistency….
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2022 10:32 PM by Older and Older.)
01-14-2022 10:31 PM
anti-zip Offline
All American

I Root For: kent state!
Nice win. Finally a decent atmosphere at a game. Seemed like the team fed off that a bit. Coming out knocking down threes certainly helped too. And Carry playing incredible didn't hurt.
01-14-2022 10:39 PM
FlashintheFan Offline
Water Engineer

Kent State vs. Akron
There is a replay on ESPN+ at 7:00 pm tomorrow Saturday. Worth watching. This a a completely different team when they come ready to play. And there has been too many games this year when they don't play together. Hopefully this gets them on track.

Sent from my SM-G955U using CSNbbs mobile app
01-14-2022 11:53 PM
Advertisement

pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
anyone know why they started the bench (w carry)?
01-15-2022 02:33 AM
Older and Older Offline
Special Teams

(01-14-2022 10:39 PM)anti-zip Wrote:  Nice win. Finally a decent atmosphere at a game. Seemed like the team fed off that a bit. Coming out knocking down threes certainly helped too. And Carry playing incredible didn't hurt.

Attendance 1791 and that is tickets sold not fannies in seats
Many season ticket holders not in building.
Has to be lowest attendance for this rivalry in sometime
01-15-2022 06:19 AM
Muskrat Offline
1st String

(01-14-2022 10:31 PM)Older and Older Wrote:  Nice win. Now let’s see which team shows up Tue. Consistency….

The hallmark symptom of a mediocre team or a mediocre player IS inconsistency. So, we'll just have to wait and see whether they are truly starting to gel as team or if they will continue to be up and down. I hope it's the former, of course, but we'll see.
01-15-2022 06:35 AM
AlphaFlash Online
All American

(01-15-2022 06:19 AM)Older and Older Wrote:  
(01-14-2022 10:39 PM)anti-zip Wrote:  Nice win. Finally a decent atmosphere at a game. Seemed like the team fed off that a bit. Coming out knocking down threes certainly helped too. And Carry playing incredible didn't hurt.

This was a bad night for this game. Students weren't even on campus yet. Just glad for the ones that showed up. (How can we make a Jeff Kurtz head cutout for the students to hold?) I can appreciate people bringing up low attendance, but I'm not criticize for it this year.
I've never had a team that changed my expectations so frequently. We hit threes tonight, which saved us. Still weak inside on offense, so that's probably going to be the way the season goes. I'm looking forward to seeing Odusipe over the next few years!
01-15-2022 09:06 AM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
I saw some real positives last night.
Garcia looks like he is really starting to shake the rust off and become a key factor inside.
VCD is doing some of the little things that will earn him more and more time.
Odisipe‘s game is still rough but he’s playing hard and contributing and will get better.
Akron has real guard issues.
Sendy took the whiny little b— to school last night. That’s not unexpected because people think he’s a great coach when he has an LCJ or DJ running the team. There would be a lot of great coaches if they have the best PG in the conference.
I hope Gio is on the mend and will get his game fully back soon.
Beck showed more of what was expected of home this year.
JH is JH. He’ll block some shots, rebound some, be a little too passive, miss some easy shots, get an occasional dunk, make a few soft touch jumpers. I don’t think that will change. Still, a net positive.
I love Jacobs’ game. Sometimes forces things too much, but plays with such intensity and can really make things happen. With him, Carry, and a 100% Gio, there are three guys who can create offense for the whole team and become a real problem for opposing defenses.
Don’t need to say much about Carry. He’s playing at a first team All MAC level. He took the game over last night at crunch time and Akron has no one to match him. He outscored their whole team in the last 9 minutes. And he plays unselfishly.

Let’s hope the gears have finally clicked into place and we’ve weathered the worst stretch anyone involved with the program could have imagined. I do remember when the ‘02 team lost to a YSU team that won 4 games that season.

Let me ask this: if you could control the outcomes, and you have games with NIU, CMU, Toledo, and Akron and you will win two and lose two. Which two do you want to win? I’d rather be sitting here with wins over the two better teams.
01-15-2022 10:16 AM
Advertisement

anti-zip Offline
All American

(01-15-2022 06:19 AM)Older and Older Wrote:  

Yeah attendance wasn't great but it had the atmosphere of an actual college game. Unlike the previous games that felt like you were watching a practice. Of course, i's not a good sign if a team needs energy from the crowd to play with energy.
Hopefully last night wakes us up.
01-15-2022 11:59 AM
anti-zip Offline
All American

Here are some crazy stats. Last year Gio attempted 5 threes per game and hit 45%. Through 9 games this year he was attempting 5.2 per game and shooting 45%. That is absurdly good three point shooting. For perspective, Holt, who was a career threes leader until Walker was given the greenest of green lights, attempted 5.1 per game for his career and shot 36%. Different era, but Huffman attempted 4.2 per game for his career and hit 37.8%. So what Gio had been doing for the last year is historically next level.

Then he got COVID...

In the 4 games he's played since covid he's attempting 6.5 threes per game and shooting 11.5%. That's 3-26. Hopefully he finds his shot soon. It's brutal for a team that isn't a very good three point shooting team and lacks a pair scoring threat to have their best shooter go down like this.
01-15-2022 12:13 PM
Older and Older Offline
Special Teams

(01-15-2022 10:16 AM)axeme Wrote:  I saw some real positives last night.
Garcia looks like he is really starting to shake the rust off and become a key factor inside.
VCD is doing some of the little things that will earn him more and more time.
Odisipe‘s game is still rough but he’s playing hard and contributing and will get better.
Akron has real guard issues.
Sendy took the whiny little b— to school last night. That’s not unexpected because people think he’s a great coach when he has an LCJ or DJ running the team. There would be a lot of great coaches if they have the best PG in the conference.
I hope Gio is on the mend and will get his game fully back soon.
Beck showed more of what was expected of home this year.
JH is JH. He’ll block some shots, rebound some, be a little too passive, miss some easy shots, get an occasional dunk, make a few soft touch jumpers. I don’t think that will change. Still, a net positive.
I love Jacobs’ game. Sometimes forces things too much, but plays with such intensity and can really make things happen. With him, Carry, and a 100% Gio, there are three guys who can create offense for the whole team and become a real problem for opposing defenses.
Don’t need to say much about Carry. He’s playing at a first team All MAC level. He took the game over last night at crunch time and Akron has no one to match him. He outscored their whole team in the last 9 minutes. And he plays unselfishly.

Let’s hope the gears have finally clicked into place and we’ve weathered the worst stretch anyone involved with the program could have imagined. I do remember when the ‘02 team lost to a YSU team that won 4 games that season.

Let me ask this: if you could control the outcomes, and you have games with NIU, CMU, Toledo, and Akron and you will win two and lose two. Which two do you want to win? I’d rather be sitting here with wins over the two better teams.

Great comments. !! All I would add is CMU and NIU two of worst teams in D1 per RPI. Covid or not those losses were awful. Blame the players, fans, coaches , mop guys. I don’t care. KSU does not lose at home to them. No excuses.
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2022 12:19 PM by Older and Older.)
01-15-2022 12:18 PM
AlphaFlash Online
All American

Here's a fun flashback to 2015. Wish I could find video of the win at the JAR in 2008.
https://youtu.be/zBosbwK2cww
01-15-2022 10:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.