Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NORTHERN ILLINOIS GAME
Bookmark and Share
Miggy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Eastern Michigan and Tem
NORTHERN ILLINOIS GAME
This up-coming Saturday, EMU faces NIU that last night beat KSU on the road, 65-63.

NIU had three players that scored in double-digits, and NIU shot 53.8 percent (7-13) on three’s, and committed 15-turnovers. KSU shot terrible from beyond the arc, concerting on but 20 percent (4-20) on three’s.

NIU now has 4-9 overall record, and is 1-1 in MAC play. It previously was thumped by Toledo, a team KSU had beaten.

NIU has averaged 64.8 ppg in MAC play.With such a low team scoring, not necessary to text about their players. NIU’s conference opponents have averaged 76 ppg,

As a team, NIU does a terrible job defending the rim as conference opponents have shot 53.2 percent on two’s.

EMU has a 7-7 overall record, and is tied with Akron for third in MAC play with a 2-1 MAC record. EMU has won 5 of it’s last 7 games. Only 5 MAC teams have lost less than two or more conference games.

EMU leads the MAC in scoring, averaging 65.5 ppg, and has a 10-point scoring margin over it’s conference opponents who average 75 ppg. EMU now has a killer offense as it’s spreading the court and leaving the middle open, thus opening driving lanes for perimeter and bigs alike.

While EMU recently beat a weak CMU team, CMU did beat Buffalo.

Since scoring on two’s is EMU’s strength, it would be wise for EMU not to be foolish like KSU was jacking-up three’s only to see them miss the target. Shooting two’s also allows EMU to get to the foul-line that they don’t do shooting three’s. And teams shoot a far higher equivalent percentage at the foul-line than they do on two’s and three’s.

Although EMU shot 35 percent on three’s in the CMU game, EMU is only shooting 30.9 percent on three’s thru 3 MAC games.

EMU has a very strong offense, and it’s interior defense is improving.

As EMU is shooting an astounding 63.8 percent on two’s ( highest in MAC play) in conference play, and is first in the MAC in number of two’s scored. EMU has a decided advantage shooting two’s over conference opponents who are shooting 48.5 percent on two’s. One can only hope that 2-point shooting percentage continues to decline as it did in the CMU game as CMU shot only 40 percent in two’s.

But EMU still needs to demonstrate improvement in stopping the three-ball. Basketball today is a math game. HC Heath needs to realize he can afford to give up a few more two’s, at the same time reducing the number of three’s made by opponents. If he had extended his perimeter defenders, he would have done just that, and CMU would have scored in the low-60’s not the high 60’s as they did. EMU has to stop allowing conference opponents to shoot 38.5 percent on three’s as they have.

It’s very important that EMU improve it’s three-point defense if it’s to beat teams like Toledo and Ohio.

EMU also needs to cut-down on fouling. The 18 fouls EMU committed in the CMU on it’s home-court is unacceptable. Ballard, Spottsville, and Golson each committing 3-fouls are far too many. They need to be told not to foul especially when EMU has a lead, and also shown how to play good defense without fouling. It can be done.

Unless EMU cleans up defending the three point line and excessive
Fouling, playing both Toledo and Ohio will be much closer scoring games than they should be.

EMU is doing a great job of winning the all-important turnover battle as EMU commits 5 less turnovers per game than it’s conference opponents (12.7 EMU turnovers per game compared to opponents 17.7 turnovers per game). EMU ileads to MAC in steals averaging 9 per game.
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2022 01:19 PM by Miggy.)
01-12-2022 03:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Miggy Offline
1st String

RE: NORTHERN ILLINOIS GAME
Northern Illinois scoring leader is 6’ PG Thornton. He’s averaging 14.5 ppg in conference play. He’s both a good 2 and 3-point shooter. Has a high turnover rate.

NIU’s second leading scorer is 6’7” F Okanu. He’s averaging 13.5 ppg. He’s a good inside inside scorer. And gets to to the foul-line a good bit. He doesn’t shoot three’s. He’s also a good shot-blocker.

NIU’s third leading scorer is SG Hankerson who is averaging 10-ppg.he’s a poor shooter.

NIU’s two other starters are are 6’5”G Hunter who averages 5.5 ppg and 6’8” Crump ( listed as a guard) who averages 6.5 ppg. Neither are good three-point shooters.
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2022 06:35 AM by Miggy.)
01-13-2022 06:22 AM
Miggy Offline
1st String

In it’s first three MAC games, EMU’s overall field goal percentage is 51.6 percent, the highest in conference play. If such percentage was for the season, EMU would be ranked no. 3 in the nation.

EMU has also averaged 85.3 ppg in conference play, the highest among MAC teams. If EMU’s scoring average was for the season, it would be the fifth highest scoring average in the nation.

Do believe EMU’s sudden increase in scoring and FG percentage is a combination of EMU playing poor competition and going to a more spread offense without low-post player. Will see if EMU can maintain it’s big shooting percentage going forward.

EMU’s steals per conference game is 9 per game, most among MAC teams. If such stat was for the season, such would be the 33 most steals per game in the nation.

EMU is also committing 5 less turnovers than it’s opponentsth per game in MAC play. If that wSfor the season that would be the 16 best turnover margin in the nation.

EMU making so many steals and having a positive turnover margin is mostly on individual player’s effort. Time for ENU to play a systematic pressure defense to insure that steals and forced opponent turnovers continues.
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2022 07:17 AM by Miggy.)
01-13-2022 06:59 AM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
Miggy having more conversations with himself. Dear lord. Most words per win in the history of organized athletics. Blah blah blah blah blah blah.
01-13-2022 07:30 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
(01-13-2022 07:30 AM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  Miggy having more conversations with himself. Dear lord. Most words per win in the history of organized athletics. Blah blah blah blah blah blah.

The posts blows hot and cold but in the end it's all lukewarm.
01-13-2022 09:04 AM
alum93 Offline
2nd String

(01-13-2022 07:30 AM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  Miggy having more conversations with himself. Dear lord. Most words per win in the history of organized athletics. Blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Amen. Apparently he thinks we don't know how to look up stats, assuming one cares about such things.
01-13-2022 09:18 AM
Advertisement

Miggy Offline
1st String

Read post on Temple’s men bb message board by a poster who said that on Jan.6th, 2021, during the insurrection at the US Capitol, the poster was on the Maryland shore in the flight path between Dover and Washington,DC.

He further said that two fully armed A-10 fighter jets took off from nearby and started circling his neighborhood. Those fighter jets were part of the National Guard. Mark Meadows, the President’s Chief of Staff wrote the day before that the National Guard would be mobilized to protect the protesters.

Wonder what the fighter jets potential mission was? Wonder if such was part of a much larger mobilization of the National Guard and the military elsewhere that we have yet fully learned of. Will the 1-6 Commission even learn or report to the public the full extent of what occurred that day?
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2022 01:33 PM by Miggy.)
01-13-2022 09:35 AM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

BobW,
Every Miggy post adds value and information in my opinion. If it is too much information or expressed with too many words/posts for you, you don’t have to read them. He is not offending anyone with providing his viewpoint and information. Conversely, I find your posts in critiquing Miggy as purposefully offensive to another member of this forum. I am asking you to stop doing this going forward. I believe it is the right thing to do to be respectful to one another, and will allow those of us who enjoy Miggy’s informative posts to continue to enjoy them.
01-13-2022 01:48 PM
Miggy Offline
1st String

(01-13-2022 01:48 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  

BobW,
Every Miggy post adds value and information in my opinion. If it is too much information or expressed with too many words/posts for you, you don’t have to read them. He is not offending anyone with providing his viewpoint and information. Conversely, I find your posts in critiquing Miggy as purposefully offensive to another member of this forum. I am asking you to stop doing this going forward. I believe it is the right thing to do to be respectful to one another, and will allow those of us who enjoy Miggy’s informative posts to continue to enjoy them.

Thanks Ramy. Terrific attribute you have in always taking the high road.

Enjoy chronicling Heath’s first season as EMU’s HC. He’s done an extraordinary job assembling and melding a good roster in such a short period of time.

It’s been a wild and unpredictable ride so far. Winning 5 out of it’s last 7 games provides some confidence going forward. Four overtime win at home over FIU was special. As is EMU presently tied for third place in MAC play.

Going to scout in New Jersey some prospective HS bb players this weekend.

In order to move forward next season, EMU will need to land some veteran transfer shooting guards and/or SF to replace Monty, Spottsville, and N.Scott. Randle being able to play will be a huge addition.
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2022 04:05 PM by Miggy.)
01-13-2022 03:59 PM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

BobW,

Agree - Miggy keep the great information flowing into this forum. Bob W is probably upset because his CMU team got it’s $ss kicked.
01-13-2022 04:02 PM
Miggy Offline
1st String

Given the lull, here’s two bb stories you may find interesting.

I met with a high-major college coach who was recruiting Monty. I asked him if it was ok if a player of his could shoot three’s off his dribble. He answered that he “preferred” they not, as it’s a lower percentage shot than a catch and shoot three. Sure his players listened to his preference, but came away skeptical if that was good for a player’s development.

Was in the Bahamas to watch Temple play. Would up staying at a Bed and Breakfast, and struck-up a conversation with another guest who was hosting a family re-union. I said that I coached HS bb. The host said that a family member was the coach of the Bahama national team, and he would be attending the re-union that night. At the party, he introduced him. After speaking for awhile he told me that the then Houston Rocket’s James Harden was flying in, and would be engaging in a private work-out the next day at the arena. He then invited me to attend. I was thrilled with the invitation.

I immediately called my son and told him. Being a New Yorker he was skeptical of my account. He asked me to send him a photo. The next day, I arrived early, then three black Cadillacs arrived, Harden emerged with Eric Gordon who’s from the Bahamas, along with six trainers, and they proceeded to a methodical hard workout for over an hour with hardly a break.

I asked one of the trainers what fingers Harden released the ball with. Harden heard me, walked over, and said his index and middle finger. I previously asked J Williams from Duke and ESPN the same question, and he said his middle finger.

Harden continued his work-out and after hitting twenty three’s in a row, turned to me and flexed his muscles. I did the same. Realized then he’s still a kid at heart. Could see his love for the game.

On the way out he posed for a picture with me that I immediately forwarded it to my son to establish my credibility.

As Harden and Gordon walked-out of the arena. The Temple bus arrived for their work-out. Monty seeing Harden, his favorite NBA player, dashed from the bus and ran up to him to greet him. Quite a trip!

My room was surely worth the $89 dollars per night I paid.
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2022 06:55 PM by Miggy.)
01-13-2022 04:52 PM
Advertisement

Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

(01-13-2022 04:52 PM)Miggy Wrote:  Given the lull, here’s two bb stories you may find interesting.

I met with a high-major college coach who was recruiting Monty. I asked him if it was ok if a player of his could shoot three’s off his dribble. He answered that he “preferred” they not, as it’s a lower percentage shot than a catch and shoot three. Sure his players listened to his preference, but came away skeptical if that was good for a player’s development.

Was in the Bahamas to watch Temple play. Would up staying at a Bed and Breakfast, and struck-up a conversation with another guest who was hosting a family re-union. I said that I coached HS bb. The host said that a family member was the coach of the Bahama national team, and he would be attending the re-union that night. At the party, he introduced him. After speaking for awhile he told me that the then Houston Rocket’s James Harden was flying in, and would be engaging in a private work-out the next day at the arena. He then invited me to attend. I was thrilled with the invitation.

I immediately called my son and told him. Being a New Yorker he was skeptical of my account. He asked me to send him a photo. The next day, I arrived early, then three black Cadillacs arrived, Harden emerged with Eric Gordon who’s from the Bahamas, along with six trainers, and they proceeded to a methodical hard workout for over an hour with hardly a break.

I asked one of the trainers what fingers Harden released the ball with. Harden heard me, walked over, and said his index and middle finger. I previously asked J Williams from Duke and ESPN the same question, and he said his middle finger.

Harden continued his work-out and after hitting twenty three’s in a row, turned to me and flexed his muscles. I did the same. Realized then he’s still a kid at heart. Could see his love for the game.

On the way out he posed for a picture with me that I immediately forwarded it to my son to establish my credibility.

As Harden and Gordon walked-out of the arena. The Temple bus arrived for their work-out. Monty seeing Harden, his favorite NBA player, dashed from the bus and ran up to him to greet him. Quite a trip!

My room was surely worth the $89 dollars per night I paid.

What an awesome experience, Miggy! Thanks for sharing with us!! I’m sure those that are jealous may respond negatively!!!

Finally the coach is absolutely right that shooting off the dribble is the most difficult shot;however, it’s also a basis for judging the skill level of the player. If we’re going to win the MAC, you need multiple players who can shoot off the dribble. When we beat Duke in 1996, we had three great guards who could shoot off the dribble at relatively high percentage: Tolbert, Boykins and Dial. This year’s squad I would only say Noah and Monty. I love Brice but, he’s more of a catch and realease guy just like Binelli - BTW, is he still on the team? All NBA guards have the ability to shoot over the top of defenders off the dribble. Again only Noah and Monty can do this
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2022 05:43 PM by Luckeyone.)
01-13-2022 05:35 PM
Miggy Offline
1st String

Here’s another story. I was coaching at St.Benedict’s Prep in Newark, NJ. The HC told me that Chris Mullin then HC at St.John’s was coming to visit the next day to scout some players.

Chris Mullin was my bb idol. I use to reside in California and had season tickets to Warrior games, initially paying $9 for a ticket per game for season tickets. Attended virtually every home game. Run TMC was the best.

I could never get over the fact he drove so slow to the hoop and almost always scored. Later incorporated and taught going slow with hesitation moves and change of direction moves. His jump shots were like lay-ups as it seemed he never missed.

Knowing Mullin was coming, I wore my GS Warrior championship t-shirt. No sooner than he entered the gym he spotted my shirt and gave me the thumbs-up. The HC walked me over and introduced me to him. He immediately asked to take a photo with me. I was estatic! I thought it was going to be the other way around.

I asked for his autograph that he graciously signed, “Chris Mullin, HOF,” for Hall of Fame.

We sat down and he asked what I coached. I said shooting and stealing the ball. He then told me that he played on the Dream Team with a player long arms named Scottie Pippin who was a terrific b-ball stealer.

We then discussed his playing for the GS Warriors. He loved playing with Tim Hardaway and Mitch Richmond. He said the team’s highest scoring nights were when they ran no plays. I pondered that for a long time. Finally made sense as opponents couldn’t prepare for that.

Also discussed the Bay Area and restaurants. Said he still had a home there. He said he was glad he wasn’t drafted by the Lakers as he was no fan of LA.

Told his Asst. Coach that St.Benedict’s Monty Scott’s father had played at St.John’s. They looked into Monty and later offered him a scholarship that he declined.

Nice finally meeting one of my bb idols and finding out he was such a regular nice guy.
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2022 09:22 PM by Miggy.)
01-13-2022 08:13 PM
Miggy Offline
1st String

EMU’s postponed game to be played at Ohio has been re-scheduled to be played at Ohio on February 3rd. So EMU will play Toledo at home on February 1st, followed by Ohio game on February 3rd at Ohio, followed by EMU playing at Kent State on the afternoon of February 5th.

As one can readily see, EMU will play three games over a period of five days.

The EMU-Buffalo game that was postponed has been re-scheduled for February 17th. Game will be played at EmU.

As of right now, EMU will play a full MAC schedule.
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2022 03:57 AM by Miggy.)
01-13-2022 09:41 PM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

(01-13-2022 09:41 PM)Miggy Wrote:  EMU’s postponed game to be played at Ohio has been re-scheduled to be played at Ohio on February 3rd. So EMU will play Toledo at home on February 1st, followed by Ohio game on February 3rd at Ohio, followed by EMU playing at Kent State on the afternoon of February 5th.

As one can readily see, EMU will play three games over a period of five days.

The EMU-Buffalo game that was postponed has not as yet been re-scheduled.

Love the basketball stories!!

EMU plays Buffalo on Feb 17
01-13-2022 10:35 PM
KPJ Offline
1st String

I have a story about almost walking into a bathroom stall that was occupied by Rev. Jesse Jackson. I’ll save that story for another thread though. LoL
01-13-2022 11:10 PM
Advertisement

Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

BobW,
I'm being nice. Every sports forum out there would take issue with his posts. At the very least, they'd make fun of the bloated excess of them. Everyone here has played and followed sports their entire lives. Any reasonable person knows these chapter length posts are unnecessary and frankly, ridiculous. It detracts from the natural give and take of conversations. There is no sharing of ideas, it is just a blast of rote data. Quit being so polite.
01-14-2022 07:50 AM
Miggy Offline
1st String

We still don’t know how good EMU can be as even though EMU’s offense has improved in conference play, but EMU has not played any top-tier team.

EMU’s interior defense with N.Scott and Njie both defended the rim
well playing CMU, but CMU played with a depleted roster. But, the fact remains that EMU has learned to score well when it plays a spread offense, and top tier teams are likely to face a difficult challenge to thwart EMU’s offense that can strike from anywhere on the court.

EMU is a far better team than their 7-7 overall record of 7-7 indicates (other MAC teams with a similar record can’t say that), as EMU lost 4 of of it’s 7 games (N Kentucky, San Diego, Valpo, and Ball State) because EMU made no effort to defend the defend the three-point line. In last two games, Ball State shot 40 percent (10-25) on three’s, CMU 50 percent (8-16) on three’s. That’s easily correctable. That’s easily correctable.

EMU plays tomorrow at NIU, a team that lacks a good offense, but it did play defense well in non-conference play as it held opponents to scoring less than 70-points per game. Also, it’s coming off a win over KSU that it limited KSU to scoring but 64-points.

Hope the above is succinct enough.
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2022 11:39 AM by Miggy.)
01-14-2022 11:07 AM
Miggy Offline
1st String

KSU is a 1-point favorite playing at home against Akron tonight. If KSU beats Akron, and EMU beats NIU tomorrow, EMU will have a 3-1 MAC record.
, and stand by itself in 3rd place.
01-14-2022 02:30 PM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

(01-14-2022 07:50 AM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  

BobW,
I'm being nice. Every sports forum out there would take issue with his posts. At the very least, they'd make fun of the bloated excess of them. Everyone here has played and followed sports their entire lives. Any reasonable person knows these chapter length posts are unnecessary and frankly, ridiculous. It detracts from the natural give and take of conversations. There is no sharing of ideas, it is just a blast of rote data. Quit being so polite.

I see your point of how it detracts from the give and take of conversation as other posters may find it difficult to navigate the threads with long posts. That is a valid argument that we should all consider. (kudos to Luckey for creating the stories thread! Very apt/constructive idea)

But when you put things in terms of “Miggy is talking to himself” or “blah blah blah blah blah” that does not seem like you are “being nice”. (Or when you call Super’ the “village idiot in a safari hat”, for that matter). That stuff rubs me the wrong way. I am actually very impressed with your wit and humor. But I don’t enjoy it because you are so mean to everyone.

And I am not “being polite”, I genuinely enjoy Miggy’s stats. I don’t have the time to compile them myself given my job and raising 3 kids. (Also I am realizing now that I advised posters to ignore you in another thread when you were lumping it on George Gervin. I apologize if that was disrespectful- it certainly wasn’t “polite”).
01-14-2022 05:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.