Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Monday Madness (Special Antonio Brown, ETC. Edition)
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Online
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
Monday Madness (Special Antonio Brown, ETC. Edition)
I've read several well written articles indicating that AB was a tea kettle ready to blow and has been for many years. A litany of issues.

One even said, "back to his early years with the Steelers.

Now this Twitter guy says, back to his early years with the Chips.

https://twitter.com/JasonBarczy/status/1...63462?s=20

We should be enjoying the successful back end of the MAC bowl season. Three of the last four bowl games were MAC wins... but we have Covid, AB, etc. etc. And bad weather across the country.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2022 10:01 AM by emu steve.)
01-03-2022 11:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dansplaining Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU - DCFC
RE: Monday Madness (Special Antonio Brown edition)
(01-03-2022 11:00 AM)emu steve Wrote:  I've read several well written articles indicating that AB was a tea kettle ready to blow and has been for many years. A litany of issues.

One even said, "back to his early years with the Steelers.

Now this Twitter guy says, back to his early years with the Chips.

https://twitter.com/JasonBarczy/status/1...63462?s=20

We should be enjoying the successful back end of the MAC bowl season. Three of the last four bowl games were MAC wins...

From the Ringer:

Brown, having removed his jersey and helmet and pads and gloves, trying to rile up the fans as he left Sunday’s game against the Jets. In the third quarter, the former All-Pro and defending Super Bowl champion threw a tantrum for reasons that remain unknown, and decided to throw away his clothing and career. He left the sideline and never returned. After the game, he was spotted waiting for a ride home from the stadium. He later released a song and was filmed bragging that his “Netflix series” would benefit from his self-ejection. After the game, head coach Bruce Arians quickly said that Brown was no longer a member of the team.

Despite his superb talents, Brown has always been a headache for his teams. The Steelers traded Brown after the wide receiver skipped practices and got into altercations with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. They sent him to the Raiders, where he refused to play unless he was allowed to practice with his preferred helmet, severely damaged his foot by failing to wear proper footwear during a cryotherapy session, and attempted to fight general manager Mike Mayock. And earlier this season, Brown was suspended for three games for giving the Buccaneers a fraudulent COVID-19 vaccine card. Brown has also repeatedly been known to not pay employees, including the personal chef who alerted the league to his fake vax card.

But Brown is more than a jerk who stiffs employees and likes getting into fights with his teammates and management: He’s consistently been a legitimate danger to the people around him. In 2018, he nearly killed a toddler when throwing furniture out of the 14th floor of his condo. In 2020, Brown pleaded no contest to felony burglary with battery. And multiple women have said that Brown has committed violence against them. In 2019, police investigated Brown for a domestic violence incident involving the mother of his child. Also in 2019, Brown’s former trainer said he raped her, although he wasn’t prosecuted due to the statute of limitations. The two settled out of court in early 2021. That same year another woman said Brown fired her after she rejected his unwanted sexual advances, and that Brown threatened her via text message after she detailed her experience to Sports Illustrated.

There is a major difference between being a distraction around the practice facility and being a bad person. Brown is both, but teams pretended he was merely the first rather than reckon with his biggest sins. The Buccaneers are done with Brown not because he’s an awful person, but because he hurt Tampa Bay’s chances of winning on Sunday, depriving them of his services without giving them time to prepare. But don’t just take my word for it—listen to Arians. Just last week, Arians said that he was proud of Brown, and that “the only thing I care about is this football team and what’s best for us.”

This was a fitting end for one version of Brown—the erratic, over-the-top dumb*** who always found one-of-a-kind ways to be a nuisance. But merely viewing him in that light is a generous way to think about a man who multiple women have said committed sexual misconduct. An actual fitting end for Brown’s career would have been for the league and its teams to blacklist him as soon as it became clear what he did off the field. Brown’s career is likely over; it’s unfair that it’s ending because of his goofy antics rather than his legitimate sins.
01-03-2022 11:03 AM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
It’s sad that ABs mental issues inhibit him from dealing with situations that make him anxious . Kudos to Tom Brady for trying to explain to the media that AB needs help. Do you really think this is normal behavior or a temper tantrum ? Absolutely not! AB needs help medically and the rigorous social situations created from football or other interactions have been too much for him to handle.
01-03-2022 01:38 PM
dansplaining Offline
All American

(01-03-2022 01:38 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  It’s sad that ABs mental issues inhibit him from dealing with situations that make him anxious . Kudos to Tom Brady for trying to explain to the media that AB needs help. Do you really think this is normal behavior or a temper tantrum ? Absolutely not! AB needs help medically and the rigorous social situations created from football or other interactions have been too much for him to handle.

mental issues dont explain:

He’s consistently been a legitimate danger to the people around him. In 2018, he nearly killed a toddler when throwing furniture out of the 14th floor of his condo. In 2020, Brown pleaded no contest to felony burglary with battery. And multiple women have said that Brown has committed violence against them. In 2019, police investigated Brown for a domestic violence incident involving the mother of his child. Also in 2019, Brown’s former trainer said he raped her, although he wasn’t prosecuted due to the statute of limitations. The two settled out of court in early 2021. That same year another woman said Brown fired her after she rejected his unwanted sexual advances, and that Brown threatened her via text message after she detailed her experience to Sports Illustrated.
01-03-2022 02:18 PM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

(01-03-2022 02:18 PM)dansplaining Wrote:  
(01-03-2022 01:38 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  It’s sad that ABs mental issues inhibit him from dealing with situations that make him anxious . Kudos to Tom Brady for trying to explain to the media that AB needs help. Do you really think this is normal behavior or a temper tantrum ? Absolutely not! AB needs help medically and the rigorous social situations created from football or other interactions have been too much for him to handle.

He’s consistently been a legitimate danger to the people around him. In 2018, he nearly killed a toddler when throwing furniture out of the 14th floor of his condo. In 2020, Brown pleaded no contest to felony burglary with battery. And multiple women have said that Brown has committed violence against them. In 2019, police investigated Brown for a domestic violence incident involving the mother of his child. Also in 2019, Brown’s former trainer said he raped her, although he wasn’t prosecuted due to the statute of limitations. The two settled out of court in early 2021. That same year another woman said Brown fired her after she rejected his unwanted sexual advances, and that Brown threatened her via text message after she detailed her experience to Sports Illustrated.

I’m not condoning anything he’s done, just stating the guy obviously has mental issues. He should never play for another team because he’s proven the mental illness has never been under control.
01-03-2022 03:42 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

(01-03-2022 02:18 PM)dansplaining Wrote:  

DP, mental issues can come in as many flavors as Baskin-Robins ice cream.

One could be neurotic, psychotic, psychopathic, etc. and each is very, very different than the other.

Neurotics aren't usually very aggressive, anti-social, etc. etc. whereas that might be the hallmark of a psychopath.

The question you might be raising is: should the 'psychopath' be considered mental ill or a 'common criminal?'

Or a psychologist might see that behavior and say 'psychopath' whereas the legal system says criminal behavior.

I believe many years ago Michigan had a state hospital, Iona State Hospital (or the Criminally Insane) much like St. Elizabeth's Hospital in D.C. which housed John Hinkley, Reagan's would be assassin.

"The patients committed to this hospital were insane felons, criminal sexual psychopaths, insane convicts from other prisons, patients transferred from other state institutions that had developed dangerous or homicidal tendencies and persons charged with a crime but acquitted on the grounds of insanity. " Wikipedia
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2022 04:43 PM by emu steve.)
01-03-2022 04:40 PM
Advertisement

emu steve Online
Legend

RE: Monday Madness (Special Antonio Brown, ETC. Edition)
01-04-2022 10:02 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
How many people really care about Brown?
01-04-2022 12:26 PM
Ken Barna Offline
All American

Dear emu79,
Apparently no one. Even the Central Board has just three comments about him. Unfortunately, someone who needed help a long time ago, but never got it.
01-04-2022 12:33 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

(01-04-2022 12:33 PM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear emu79,
Apparently no one. Even the Central Board has just three comments about him. Unfortunately, someone who needed help a long time ago, but never got it.

Actually it might have been the biggest sports story of Sunday.

I saw on Twitter CMU alums trying to distance themselves from what AB was all about...

It has nothing to do with stats, wins and losses, but the broader issue of how many teams in the NFL took on a troubled soul trying to win FB games. The ole sold their soul to the devil.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/20...l-chances/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf...?gnt-cfr=1
01-04-2022 01:09 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

Okay, it is Misery Week in Ann Arbor.

https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/status/1...00775?s=20
01-05-2022 12:40 AM
Advertisement

dansplaining Offline
All American

(01-05-2022 12:40 AM)emu steve Wrote:  Okay, it is Misery Week in Ann Arbor.

hey now - rutgers has a good basketball program
01-05-2022 08:07 AM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

May the losing continue.
01-06-2022 07:51 AM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

Yeah it is pretty bad.

My current hometown was drunk with emotion when it beat OSU for the first time in forever. Let's face it, OSU did not have a defense this year and the game was played in weather that favored Blue, nothing like Florida where the $EC plays. They join the list of MSU, Washington, Notre Dame, and yes OSU who got CREAMED by southern teams playing in CFP southern sites. Honestly U-M was not that good.

The MBB team is another matter. Beilein was a great coach and left the cupboard full for Howard. Supposedly Juwan had the best recruiting class incoming this year, but it appears as though there are huge problems at the Chrisler Center.
01-06-2022 07:16 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

(01-06-2022 07:16 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  

Yeah it is pretty bad.

My current hometown was drunk with emotion when it beat OSU for the first time in forever. Let's face it, OSU did not have a defense this year and the game was played in weather that favored Blue, nothing like Florida where the $EC plays. They join the list of MSU, Washington, Notre Dame, and yes OSU who got CREAMED by southern teams playing in CFP southern sites. Honestly U-M was not that good.

The MBB team is another matter. Beilein was a great coach and left the cupboard full for Howard. Supposedly Juwan had the best recruiting class incoming this year, but it appears as though there are huge problems at the Chrisler Center.

I looked at UofM's schedule/record and was almost shocked. Is there a good win in there?

There is a LESSON here, I think. How good of a coach is Howard? Is he winning with Beilein's team? And a bunch of other questions.

Which begs the question: How long does it take to properly evaluate a new coach? One season? Two? Three?

A classic case, closer to home, is our own Stan Heath who won at Kent with someone else players.

Or even closer yet, Mr. Milton Barnes, won with the Braun/Waters team which he inherited was loaded with all of our favorites, e.g., Boykins, Dial, etc.

We all know the scenario. The HC wins big and moves on to the next big job, either a high major or NBA. If the successor is lucky the cupboard is still full and the new coach wins with his predecessor's talent. It takes maybe two years to determine if the new guy can recruit and reload a team.
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2022 01:19 PM by emu steve.)
01-07-2022 01:18 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(01-07-2022 01:18 PM)emu steve Wrote:  

Yeah it is pretty bad.

I looked at UofM's schedule/record and was almost shocked. Is there a good win in there?

There is a LESSON here, I think. How good of a coach is Howard? Is he winning with Beilein's team? And a bunch of other questions.

Which begs the question: How long does it take to properly evaluate a new coach? One season? Two? Three?

A classic case, closer to home, is our own Stan Heath who won at Kent with someone else players.

Or even closer yet, Mr. Milton Barnes, won with the Braun/Waters team which he inherited was loaded with all of our favorites, e.g., Boykins, Dial, etc.

We all know the scenario. The HC wins big and moves on to the next big job, either a high major or NBA. If the successor is lucky the cupboard is still full and the new coach wins with his predecessor's talent. It takes maybe two years to determine if the new guy can recruit and reload a team.

Good observation Steve. Tom Izzo took over a successful MSU program and actually elevated it. Lloyd Carr inherited the Bo-Mo U-M culture, won a National Championship, then went on a consistent slide downward that precipitated a 17 year run without a conference title. He pouted when his input understandably was not considered when his successor was chosen and left a "scorched earth" in Ann Arbor. Unfortunately, EMU was willing to listen to Lloyd and that is what got us Ron English. Damn you Mr. Carr!
01-07-2022 05:52 PM
Advertisement

emu steve Online
Legend

(01-07-2022 05:52 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  

Yeah it is pretty bad.

Good observation Steve. Tom Izzo took over a successful MSU program and actually elevated it. Lloyd Carr inherited the Bo-Mo U-M culture, won a National Championship, then went on a consistent slide downward that precipitated a 17 year run without a conference title. He pouted when his input understandably was not considered when his successor was chosen and left a "scorched earth" in Ann Arbor. Unfortunately, EMU was willing to listen to Lloyd and that is what got us Ron English. Damn you Mr. Carr!

Heath will earn his salary at EMU. he did not inherit a full cupboard.
01-07-2022 06:09 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(01-07-2022 06:09 PM)emu steve Wrote:  

Yeah it is pretty bad.

I was never a Stan guy, but the ONLY successful program on an upward trajectory he ever inherited was at Kent and he did quite well with it. At Arkansas and USF, he took over less than stellar cultures like the one he assumed at EMU and his results while unremarkable, were not tragic.

So far, I have been very happy with what I have seen from him.
01-07-2022 06:51 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

(01-07-2022 06:51 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  
(01-07-2022 06:09 PM)emu steve Wrote:  
(01-06-2022 07:16 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  Yeah it is pretty bad.

I was never a Stan guy, but the ONLY successful program on an upward trajectory he ever inherited was at Kent and he did quite well with it. At Arkansas and USF, he took over less than stellar cultures like the one he assumed at EMU and his results while unremarkable, were not tragic.

So far, I have been very happy with what I have seen from him.

Yes, he caught lightning in a bottle at Kent.

BTW, I think he beat us in the Virgin Islands when he was at Arkansas. Probably beat the snot out of us while his one season at Kent.

Stan did not inherit a full cupboard at EMU but I believe he is a very good fit for us.
01-07-2022 06:59 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

This is fascinating. OSU (OREGON State U.) demolished the old section of their stadium. Looks like the have the press box side which was very, very old and they built new sections around the field.

And then then finally decided to demo the old section and will re-build

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reser_Stad..._pano2.jpg

https://twitter.com/BeaverFootball/statu...90023?s=20
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2022 06:37 AM by emu steve.)
01-08-2022 06:26 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.