Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Who Cuts Down The Nets In Cleveland next March?
Bookmark and Share
Basketball Jones Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
Who Cuts Down The Nets In Cleveland next March?
With the MAC Season opening today, which team(s) do you think have the best chance of cutting down the Nets in Cleveland in March based on non-conference play, roster makeup, coaching, etc? With that said, while I think Toledo’s Starting 5 is the most balanced in the league, their lack of (current) depth could be its ultimate downfall like late last season when it appeared they ran out of gas such as their road loss at lowly CMU, MAC Tournament loss to OU and NIT loss to Richmond. The X factor might be the availability of 6-10 AJ Edu who is working to get back to play in February after missing better parts of the last 3 seasons with various knee injuries. If available, Edu would provide much needed depth in the interior, especially his defense and rebounding skills. I also like OU a lot, but they seem to have the same depth issues that Toledo has. You also cannot count out Buffalo with players like Williams and Mballa who provide unique matchup problems for everyone. Another factor in who wins the Tournament is which team(s) can manage COVID the best and have everybody available to play throughout the regular and post seasons! Hopefully we can have a full season!
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2021 02:25 PM by Basketball Jones.)
12-28-2021 02:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

kreed5120 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Akron
RE: Who Cuts Down The Nets In Cleveland next March?
You can go ahead and eliminate WMU, NIU, CMU, EMU, and Ball State from the conversation. I don't think there is really any great team remaining among the remaining 7. Any of them can win it depending on health and how they progress throughout the season.
12-28-2021 03:52 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
(12-28-2021 03:52 PM)kreed5120 Wrote:  You can go ahead and eliminate WMU, NIU, CMU, EMU, and Ball State from the conversation. I don't think there is really any great team remaining among the remaining 7. Any of them can win it depending on health and how they progress throughout the season.

Might as well eliminate Toledo and BG as they have 2 of the 3 largest droughts among teams who have reached the dance.

I dont think EMU is eliminated... by chance id go

20% Ohio (4:1)
18% UB (114:25)
16% UT (21:4)
12% Akron (22:3)
10% Kent (9:1)
8% BG (23:2)
8% Miami (23:2)
5% EMU (18:1)
2% Ball State (49:1)
<1% NIU (150:1)
<1% WMU (350:1)
<1% CMU (500:1)
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2021 05:13 PM by UofToledoFans.)
12-28-2021 04:47 PM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
All I know is it won't be my team. 03-banghead 03-hissyfit
12-28-2021 05:13 PM
Eagle66 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio
Despite the perplexing loss to Canisius, I would still pick UB. I agree the top is closely bunched together, but I think UB has the highest ceiling of any team in the conference.

Edit: Well this didn’t age well
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2021 06:36 PM by Eagle66.)
12-29-2021 01:54 PM
Advertisement

MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
(12-28-2021 04:47 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  ...

WHAT is this???

Also, 41:9 would be better.
12-29-2021 04:28 PM
GoBullsGo Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Buffalo Bulls
I don’t see this UB squad doing anything this year. Poorly coached and no cohesion in the roster. Just a few good players trying to do it on their own and not much else. Oats squads played like a team and were bulldogs on defense. They’ve completely abandoned that identity.
12-29-2021 06:30 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
(12-29-2021 04:28 PM)MidnightBlueGold Wrote:  
(12-28-2021 04:47 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  ...

WHAT is this???

Also, 41:9 would be better.

Couldn't figure out what 4.56:1 is, ha.
12-29-2021 09:27 PM
Miggy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Eastern Michigan and Tem
(12-28-2021 02:05 PM)Basketball Jones Wrote:  With the MAC Season opening today, which team(s) do you think have the best chance of cutting down the Nets in Cleveland in March based on non-conference play, roster makeup, coaching, etc? With that said, while I think Toledo’s Starting 5 is the most balanced in the league, their lack of (current) depth could be its ultimate downfall like late last season when it appeared they ran out of gas such as their road loss at lowly CMU, MAC Tournament loss to OU and NIT loss to Richmond. The X factor might be the availability of 6-10 AJ Edu who is working to get back to play in February after missing better parts of the last 3 seasons with various knee injuries. If available, Edu would provide much needed depth in the interior, especially his defense and rebounding skills. I also like OU a lot, but they seem to have the same depth issues that Toledo has. You also cannot count out Buffalo with players like Williams and Mballa who provide unique matchup problems for everyone. Another factor in who wins the Tournament is which team(s) can manage COVID the best and have everybody available to play throughout the regular and post seasons! Hopefully we can have a full season!

I agree that Buffalo, Ohio, and Toledo have a lack of depth. Do believe that Toledo is the best of the three given that they have a terrific offensive system.

The only other MAC team that matches those teams few outstanding talented players is EMU.

Don’t be misled by EMU’s 5-6 record in conference play as EMU should have had a 8-3 non-conference record, and didn’t because it squandered leads in the second-half in three of those games (N.Kentucky, UC Diego, and Valpo), by failing to defend the three-point line.

Should also be noted that EMU played the third strongest non-conference schedule of any team in the MAC, and did outscore Indiana 41-32 in the second-half.

EMU does have in six players, the deepest and most athletic talent of any Oppenheimer in in the MAC. The six players are MScott, Farrakhan, McBride, Golson, N.Scott, and Spottsville.

EMU may well open MAC play with a 3-0 record. If so. we’ll have to see what happens from then on in MAC play.

EMU’s HC Stan Heath has been experimenting playing both big and small ball. Playing big has not worked, and has kept EMU’s scoring down. Believe that if Heath commits to playing small ball and unleashes EMU’s potent offense and defense, EMU will be a formidable MAC opponent.

He will also need to devise a defense that can effectively challenge Toledo’s potent offense.
(This post was last modified: 12-30-2021 04:11 PM by Miggy.)
12-30-2021 03:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.