Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Any chance we see the Cincinnati-Louisville series revived?
Bookmark and Share
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Any chance we see the Cincinnati-Louisville series revived?
With the Bearcats no longer having the taint of G5 status, do you think there’s any chance that the Keg of Nails series returns? That’s definitely a rivalry I miss and I think both schools could use a regional OOC opponent as they are both geographic outliers in their conferences.
12-23-2021 07:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
RE: Any chance we see the Cincinnati-Louisville series revived?
(12-23-2021 07:41 AM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  With the Bearcats no longer having the taint of G5 status, do you think there’s any chance that the Keg of Nails series returns? That’s definitely a rivalry I miss and I think both schools could use a regional OOC opponent as they are both geographic outliers in their conferences.

In football? Not much chance of the series resuming on a regular basis. UL doesn't have much space on their OOC schedule. Their main rivalry, mandated by the State legislature, is UK.

Just not much space for UC there.
12-23-2021 08:10 AM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
The problem is Louisville already has an OOC rival game in UK, plus they have to make room for Notre Dame every few years. If you take a look at the other ACC schools that have an OOC rival, the format is typically FCS, G5, Notre Dame and Rival.

The other thing to consider is it is not clear how many conference games the BXII will play. If it is nine, then I expect UC's OOC schedule format will be FCS, G5 and P5. Miami U. will be the G5 game every year-- do we want to lock in to Louisville every year as well for the P5 game? That does not create any new scheduling opportunities other than the FCS opponent.

My guess is we might play them in a two game series here or there, but I think for a variety of reasons every year is not going to be in the cards unless we are back in a conference together again.
12-23-2021 08:11 AM
Advertisement

Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
It would be nice to see Cincinnati in that 2nd P5 slot in the years they don’t play ND.
12-23-2021 10:54 AM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(12-23-2021 10:54 AM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  It would be nice to see Cincinnati in that 2nd P5 slot in the years they don’t play ND.

It would. We'll also have to see how this how Alliance thing works out. They might obligated to schedule some B10/PAC12 schools as well.

I am very curious to see how UC works out its future scheduling going forward. Will the Alliance shut us out completely? Will the BXII schools have to form their own OOC alliance with the SEC (and will the SEC agree)?
12-23-2021 10:59 AM
Advertisement

UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
It was great playing DaVille when we were members of the same conferences for many decades. Two urban/metro schools that could compete in both football and hoops within about a 90 minute drive of each other. With the step up in weight class to the B12 I'm not as concerned about renewing this rivalry. Certainly, I would welcome an occasional home and home series.
12-23-2021 07:30 PM
goodknightfl Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Don't see it coming back yearly.
12-24-2021 07:56 AM
Advertisement

Rob3338 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: uc
(12-23-2021 07:41 AM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  With the Bearcats no longer having the taint of G5 status, do you think there’s any chance that the Keg of Nails series returns? That’s definitely a rivalry I miss and I think both schools could use a regional OOC opponent as they are both geographic outliers in their conferences.

I especially miss the UC - UL basketball games. They were the highlight of the season.
12-26-2021 05:08 AM
CYOWA Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Iowa State
(12-24-2021 07:56 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  Don't see it coming back yearly.

Damn. The Keg of Nails is one of the most badass traveling trophies in existence.

[Image: 0521dd3e57a6c7d827c49e8dd6065792_400x400.png]

Hopefully the Big 12 goes back to 8 conference game schedule to preserve and/or restore rivalries such as Bedlam, the Holy War, Backyard Brawl, Telephone Trophy...
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2022 10:15 AM by CYOWA.)
01-13-2022 10:15 AM
natibeast2.0 Offline
Banned

I Root For: -
(01-13-2022 10:15 AM)CYOWA Wrote:  
(12-24-2021 07:56 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  Don't see it coming back yearly.

Damn. The Keg of Nails is one of the most badass traveling trophies in existence.

[Image: 0521dd3e57a6c7d827c49e8dd6065792_400x400.png]

Hopefully the Big 12 goes back to 8 conference game schedule to preserve and/or restore rivalries such as Bedlam, the Holy War, Backyard Brawl, Telephone Trophy...

Yes, it would be awesome as the Keg of Nails was legit. If 8 games meant renewing the rivalry I'm all for it, but agree that more than likely it will be scheduled here and there but not yearly. Now that we are in the Big 12, it isn't as big of a risk for Louisville to play us.

Our only other real football rivalry is Miami (OH) for the victory bell, but they got stuck in the MAC and until/if they beat us, it's become just a W in most peoples minds.

Basketball of course has Xavier which is one of the best.
01-13-2022 01:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.