Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
RE: College Football Playoffs- Coming to a Theater Near You
(12-20-2021 11:37 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  Thought this is a different idea:

Cinemark Theaters

If you got into a way-back machine and went back to 1964, you would find the T.A.M.I show (Teenage Awards Music International). A rock and roll show shown in theaters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T.A.M.I._Show

It featured:
The Barbarians
The Beach Boys
Chuck Berry
James Brown and the Famous Flames
Marvin Gaye (with backing vocals by the Blossoms)
Gerry & the Pacemakers
Lesley Gore
Jan and Dean
Billy J. Kramer and the Dakotas
The Miracles
The Rolling Stones
The Supremes
The house band, known collectively as the Wrecking Crew, was under the musical direction of Jack Nitzsche and included drummer Hal Blaine, electric bass player Jimmy Bond, guitarists Tommy Tedesco and Glen Campbell, upright bassist Lyle Ritz, pianist Leon Russell, saxophonist Plas Johnson and others.
T.A.M.I. Show's executive producer was Bill Sargent. Sargent held patents in cable television and is considered the father of modern pay-per-view. He was the developer of Electronovision and its associated videotape technologies.

BTW the entire show or individual performances can be seen on Youtube

Essentially it was pay-per-view rock and roll, which didn't see long term success. Pay-per-view college football playoffs in theaters will meet with the same fate.
12-21-2021 05:30 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(12-21-2021 05:30 AM)XLance Wrote:  
(12-20-2021 11:37 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  Thought this is a different idea:

Cinemark Theaters

If you got into a way-back machine and went back to 1964, you would find the T.A.M.I show (Teenage Awards Music International). A rock and roll show shown in theaters...

Essentially it was pay-per-view rock and roll, which didn't see long term success. Pay-per-view college football playoffs in theaters will meet with the same fate.

Yeah, I tend to think this is only a pandemic thing - not long term.
12-21-2021 09:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
I can see the appeal now.

Instead of watching the games at home, on my own TV, with refreshments of my choice purchased at supermarket prices, or at a sports bar with 20 of my closest friends with refreshments that cost a bit more, I could go to a local theater where the refreshments probably don't include the beverages of my choice or meats like Buffalo wings and cost twice as much as they would at a bar and four times what they would cost at home.

And for this I will pay an exorbitant price for my theater seat. But the picture will be larger, so there's that.

What's not to like?
12-21-2021 09:20 AM
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(12-21-2021 09:20 AM)ken d Wrote:  I can see the appeal now.

Instead of watching the games at home, on my own TV, with refreshments of my choice purchased at supermarket prices, or at a sports bar with 20 of my closest friends with refreshments that cost a bit more, I could go to a local theater where the refreshments probably don't include the beverages of my choice or meats like Buffalo wings and cost twice as much as they would at a bar and four times what they would cost at home.

And for this I will pay an exorbitant price for my theater seat. But the picture will be larger, so there's that.

What's not to like?

I saw Ghostbusters Afterlife at a Regal RPX ... think IMAX-ish. The theater was a ghost town despite being a 20 theater plex on the busiest strip of commercial real estate for 100s of miles in any direction. Only 5 people in my entire theater on debut night for the night showing. The food and drink was ludicrously overpriced and mediocre. There was nearly 30 minutes of commercials. But the actual movie in an IMAX-ish setting was quite nice. 11.1 sound. Giant screen. Dead quiet since it was so empty. I checked the other smaller non-RPX theaters ... I don't think I'd ever watch a movie in there again. The experience at my home is actually better until you get to something IMAX-ish.
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2021 01:23 PM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
12-21-2021 10:21 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Theaters have to retrench...it is so easy to watch movies at home. A lot of folks only go to movies once or twice a year now or not at all.
12-21-2021 12:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
(12-21-2021 10:21 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  I saw Ghostbusters Afterlife at a Regal RPX ... think IMAX-ish. The theater was a ghost town despite being a 20 theater plex on the busiest strip of commercial real estate for 100s of miles in any direction. Only 5 people in my entire theater on debut night for the night showing. The food and drink was ludicrously overpriced and mediocre. There was nearly 30 minutes of commercials. But the actual movie in an IMAX-ish setting was quite nice. 11.1 sound. Giant screen. Dead quiet since it was so empty. I checked the other smaller non-RPX theaters ... I don't think I'd ever watch a movie in there again. The experience at my home is actually better until you get to something IMAX-ish.

I recently took two of my granddaughters, 7 & 8, to see Ghostbusters Afterlife. Much the same experience as you. I hadn’t been to the movie theater since 2013. I had to look it up because the last film I had seen was White House Down.

As the movie was ending I told my granddaughter “sit back down we’ll wait for everyone else to get out”. My 7 year old granddaughter said, “Pops, we’re the only ones in here” 03-lmfao

It was $27.03 for one adult and two kids to see a matinee on a Tuesday afternoon.
12-21-2021 01:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.