Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Let's Talk Smoke
Bookmark and Share
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
OT: Let's Talk Smoke
So this weekend I'm gonna start prepping for New Years.

NYE I'm planning on smoking a pork shoulder. It'll be my third one. I'm still dialing in/finding a rub I like to use. Anyone use any homemade rubs (I'm looking at the App Staters) they like?

I'm also going to experiment in the upcoming weeks with a smoked Pimento Cheese recipe I got this past week and cold smoke my cheese.

Anyone else here like to smoke anything on a grill or a good cigar?
12-17-2021 11:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fanof49ASU Online
Heisman

I Root For: stAte
RE: OT: Let's Talk Smoke
(12-17-2021 11:32 AM)gdunn Wrote:  So this weekend I'm gonna start prepping for New Years.

NYE I'm planning on smoking a pork shoulder. It'll be my third one. I'm still dialing in/finding a rub I like to use. Anyone use any homemade rubs (I'm looking at the App Staters) they like?

I'm also going to experiment in the upcoming weeks with a smoked Pimento Cheese recipe I got this past week and cold smoke my cheese.

I got this at the Dollar Tree and was very surprised. Well worth it!!!

Attached File(s)
.jpeg  A42EAB0B-F626-4667-9FCC-DAA5C5AF22A9.jpeg (Size: 1.9 MB / Downloads: 48)
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2021 11:39 AM by Fanof49ASU.)
12-17-2021 11:38 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(12-17-2021 11:38 AM)Fanof49ASU Wrote:  
(12-17-2021 11:32 AM)gdunn Wrote:  So this weekend I'm gonna start prepping for New Years.

I got this at the Dollar Tree and was very surprised. Well worth it!!!
I actually have a rub I came up with. I was shooting for Carolina style, but ended up with Memphis, 03-lmfao
12-17-2021 11:41 AM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama

Pretty much anything from Oliva works for me.
12-17-2021 01:05 PM
sdcritter Offline
All American

I make my rubs. I’m too cheap to buy something pre-made. Fridge is full of a variety of smoked cheese. I give a bunch away as gifts at Christmas. Been smoking all my life. Did a 50 pound pig at Thanksgiving for the family. Going to do a ribeye roast, whole chicken and some turkey breasts this weekend to carry us through the holidays.
12-17-2021 01:22 PM
sdcritter Offline
All American

A word of advice on your cheese. Use fruit woods and when you’re done, rest it on wire racks for 2 hours then wrap it in plastic wrap. Store that in the fridge for at least 5 days to let the smoke mellow and permeate the cheese.
12-17-2021 01:32 PM
Advertisement

gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(12-17-2021 01:32 PM)sdcritter Wrote:  A word of advice on your cheese. Use fruit woods and when you’re done, rest it on wire racks for 2 hours then wrap it in plastic wrap. Store that in the fridge for at least 5 days to let the smoke mellow and permeate the cheese.

I've heard those all are musts except for the 2 hour rest time.
12-17-2021 01:49 PM
southcharlotteapp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian

Rub
2 tbsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp cumin
2 tbsp chili powder
2 tbsp pepper
1 tbsp cayenne
1/4 cup of paprika

this makes enough for many shoulders, so you can lower the quantities if needed.

spray the shoulder three or four times with apple cider vinegar during cooking.

once you pull the shoulder, spray the chopped Q with the vinegar and add very little of the rub with red pepper flakes. Mix it up and serve.
12-17-2021 01:54 PM
AppYosef Offline
2nd String

I Root For: App State
You can never go wrong with my man Malcolm Reeds - Killer Hogs (The BBQ Rub) stuff. Go here to check out his products and go here to watch his YouTube videos.

Trust big people that cook!

Edit- my wood preference is Cherry and a mix of hickory and cherry is great on pork.
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2021 02:04 PM by AppYosef.)
12-17-2021 02:02 PM
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

(12-17-2021 01:54 PM)southcharlotteapp Wrote:  

Rub
2 tbsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp cumin
2 tbsp chili powder
2 tbsp pepper
1 tbsp cayenne
1/4 cup of paprika

this makes enough for many shoulders, so you can lower the quantities if needed.

once you pull the shoulder, spray the chopped Q with the vinegar and add very little of the rub with red pepper flakes. Mix it up and serve.
What’s th opinion of mustard before adding the rub? Also gonna smoke my first turkey next week. Was planing on cherry pellets. Any opinions?
12-17-2021 02:03 PM
AppYosef Offline
2nd String

Mustard helps rubs stick to the meat and you don’t taste it. I’ve found you don’t really need to do it. Used to do it before I knew what I was doing.

Cherry (IMO) is good on everything. Cherry is my favorite wood to smoke with.

Edit *
With turkey you need to brine.
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2021 02:12 PM by AppYosef.)
12-17-2021 02:10 PM
Advertisement

southcharlotteapp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian
(12-17-2021 02:03 PM)Thegoldstandard Wrote:  

Rub
2 tbsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp cumin
2 tbsp chili powder
2 tbsp pepper
1 tbsp cayenne
1/4 cup of paprika

What’s th opinion of mustard before adding the rub? Also gonna smoke my first turkey next week. Was planing on cherry pellets. Any opinions?

I do the mustard. It's more to help the rub stick than flavor. Do the rub the night before and put it on heavy. IMO the key good Q is the bark. Good bark comes from heavy smoke the first 5 or 6 hours. I do heavy hickory smoke at a little higher temp than recommended to get a heavy black bark. Its hard to over cook Q especially with the fat side up. Take all the bark, chop it up, and toss it back in with the Q.

Applewood or Cherry for most birds. I like fruitwoods and light herbie flavors for turkey. Spatchcock the turkey so it smokes/cooks evenly and quickly.

What time should I come by?
12-17-2021 02:20 PM
FairwayEagle Offline
1st String

(12-17-2021 01:22 PM)sdcritter Wrote:  I make my rubs. I’m too cheap to buy something pre-made. Fridge is full of a variety of smoked cheese. I give a bunch away as gifts at Christmas. Been smoking all my life. Did a 50 pound pig at Thanksgiving for the family. Going to do a ribeye roast, whole chicken and some turkey breasts this weekend to carry us through the holidays.

What smoker do you have? I have one that is about worn out and I'm looking around.
12-17-2021 02:30 PM
sdcritter Offline
All American

When the weather is right I’m using an open pit I built in my backyard. But most of the time I’m lazy and use a Pit Boss 1150 pellet smoker supplemented with a smoke tube if I want to boost the smoke flavor. And I usually do. LOL.
12-17-2021 02:38 PM
FairwayEagle Offline
1st String

(12-17-2021 02:38 PM)sdcritter Wrote:  When the weather is right I’m using an open pit I built in my backyard. But most of the time I’m lazy and use a Pit Boss 1150 pellet smoker supplemented with a smoke tube if I want to boost the smoke flavor. And I usually do. LOL.

Sounds like you have it figured out!
12-17-2021 02:41 PM
Nickleback rules Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Louisiana
(12-17-2021 01:05 PM)Usajags Wrote:  

Pretty much anything from Oliva works for me.

Perdomo works as well.

Z
12-17-2021 03:25 PM
Advertisement

BamaCajun Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Leggy Red Heads

Rub
2 tbsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp cumin
2 tbsp chili powder
2 tbsp pepper
1 tbsp cayenne
1/4 cup of paprika

I make my own pork rub also. Similar to what you have listed above.

But, for best results, brine your pork overnight. Keep the brine simple. For one shoulder I use a cup of sugar, a cup of salt, and a few cloves. Boil this in a small amount of water, let cool a bit, then add enough cold water to cover the shoulder. This will make a noticeable difference. As noted above, spraying during cooking with a spray of your liking helps much also.

As for cigars, a few years back there was an intern named Monica that new quite a bit about cigars. Not sure what ever happened to her?
12-17-2021 04:07 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(12-17-2021 04:07 PM)BamaCajun Wrote:  

Rub
2 tbsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp cumin
2 tbsp chili powder
2 tbsp pepper
1 tbsp cayenne
1/4 cup of paprika

I make my own pork rub also. Similar to what you have listed above.

But, for best results, brine your pork overnight. Keep the brine simple. For one shoulder I use a cup of sugar, a cup of salt, and a few cloves. Boil this in a small amount of water, let cool a bit, then add enough cold water to cover the shoulder. This will make a noticeable difference. As noted above, spraying during cooking with a spray of your liking helps much also.

As for cigars, a few years back there was an intern named Monica that new quite a bit about cigars. Not sure what ever happened to her?

As for cee-gars, try an Ashton . . . Product of the Dominican Republic, an excellent smoke . . .

As for Monica, she’s doing just fine . ..
12-17-2021 04:30 PM
gsoappfan Offline
Water Engineer

This is my go-to rub. I've used it for several years and never had a complaint:
https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/s...ub-recipe/

The website has a wealth of information on smoking/grilling and explains the science behind cooking.

For the cigar, I enjoy Rocky Patel - Decade.

Get a nice bourbon to top it all off!
12-17-2021 04:55 PM
sdcritter Offline
All American

We could get into a war over injecting or not. That usually stirs a debate. What we should be concerned about is the price of brisket right now.

Since you’re new to smoking do yourself a favor. If you like bologna smoke a stick of that. Thick slice, onion, toasted sour dough, mustard.
12-17-2021 05:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.