Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Article about UMass Pursuit of Conference Affiliation
Bookmark and Share
BeatWestern! Offline
All American

I Root For: Central Michigan
Article about UMass Pursuit of Conference Affiliation
Article by Fight Massachusetts utilizes FOIA request for emails between UMass and C-USA, MAC and SBC pursuant to potential conference affiliation.

https://247sports.com/college/massachuse...178191756/
12-13-2021 11:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
RE: Article about UMass Pursuit of Conference Affiliation
Just say NO to UMASS FB only. CUSA or MAC.
12-13-2021 03:48 PM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
(12-13-2021 03:48 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  Just say NO to UMASS FB only. CUSA or MAC.

The stance from any conference should be all or nothing. I understand they want to keep mbb in the A10 but fb alone does nothing for any conference at this point.
12-13-2021 04:04 PM
BlueRaiderBoy Offline
All American

I Root For: MTSU
All or nothing, to anybody. UMASS AND UCONN are in a similar boat. But there is no incentive for CUSA, Sun Belt or MAC to admit any FB only members. 05-nono
12-16-2021 08:46 AM
Advertisement

Milwaukee Offline
All American

I Root For: many teams
(12-16-2021 08:46 AM)BlueRaiderBoy Wrote:  All or nothing, to anybody. UMASS AND UCONN are in a similar boat. But there is no incentive for CUSA, Sun Belt or MAC to admit any FB only members.

I may be wrong, but I see a number of possible incentives:

1) Having a FB team from the heavily populated northeastern region could attract viewers from that and the middle atlantic region, and that could generate more viewership revenue.

2) UMass, as an FBS team, would give the CUSA 8 FBS teams before JSU and SHSU make the transition to FBS.

3) UMass is an R1 research university and a State Flagship university. It would be the only State Flagship school in the CUSA.

4) Adding UMass and UConn (FB only) would give the conference 2 State Flagship universities and a considerable presence in the heavily populated northeastern U.S.

Current CUSA R1 universities: FIU & UTEP (could double to four w/UMass,UConn)

Current CUSA R2 universities, LTU, NMSU, & MTSU

State Flagship universities: 0 (could rise to two with UMass and UConn)

Adding UMass and UConn might help the CUSA to get a deal with ESPN at the "going rate" (minimum of $2 million/school per year).

Since having "football only" members has worked out well for the American (Navy) and Mountain West (Hawaii) conferences, it could work out just as well for the CUSA.
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2021 11:07 AM by Milwaukee.)
12-17-2021 11:04 AM
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
IF, IF they pay the BIG BUCKS I say do it. Otherwise- no thanks.
12-17-2021 11:45 AM
inutech Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(12-17-2021 11:04 AM)Milwaukee Wrote:  
(12-16-2021 08:46 AM)BlueRaiderBoy Wrote:  All or nothing, to anybody. UMASS AND UCONN are in a similar boat. But there is no incentive for CUSA, Sun Belt or MAC to admit any FB only members.

I may be wrong, but I see a number of possible incentives:

1) Having a FB team from the heavily populated northeastern region could attract viewers from that and the middle atlantic region, and that could generate more viewership revenue.

2) UMass, as an FBS team, would give the CUSA 8 FBS teams before JSU and SHSU make the transition to FBS.

3) UMass is an R1 research university and a State Flagship university. It would be the only State Flagship school in the CUSA.

4) Adding UMass and UConn (FB only) would give the conference 2 State Flagship universities and a considerable presence in the heavily populated northeastern U.S.

Current CUSA R1 universities: FIU & UTEP (could double to four w/UMass,UConn)

Current CUSA R2 universities, LTU, NMSU, & MTSU

State Flagship universities: 0 (could rise to two with UMass and UConn)

Adding UMass and UConn might help the CUSA to get a deal with ESPN at the "going rate" (minimum of $2 million/school per year).

Since having "football only" members has worked out well for the American (Navy) and Mountain West (Hawaii) conferences, it could work out just as well for the CUSA.

Unless there is a clear "we will give you this much more money if you have these two terrible football teams in your conference" from tv and it's a LOT more money, none of these reasons remotely approaches outweighing the downsides of having those two terrible football teams in our conference.

And I don't think you get that kind of assurance for adding those two terrible teams to our conference.

So my very strong preference is that we not add these two terrible football teams to our conference (or anyone else, for that matter).
12-17-2021 02:18 PM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
UMASS pretty much signed their death warrant when they refused to go all sports and then left the MAC. Now, they are on a deserted island with horrible football and in a so so A-10. And no one wants them.
12-17-2021 09:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.