Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Who Gets the Access Bowl?
sfink16 Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
I'm guessing UL gets with SDST's loss. Or it still could go to UTSA. I don't think Houston can get it because they didn't win the conference. Is that correct? They actually could end up being higher ranked than either team.
12-04-2021 08:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FormerShasta Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: The Coogs
RE: Who Gets the Access Bowl?
(12-04-2021 08:13 PM)sfink16 Wrote:  I'm guessing UL gets with SDST's loss. Or it still could go to UTSA. I don't think Houston can get it because they didn't win the conference. Is that correct? They actually could end up being higher ranked than either team.

Cincy. They ain't giving access past the playoff.
12-04-2021 08:14 PM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
(12-04-2021 08:14 PM)FormerShasta Wrote:  
(12-04-2021 08:13 PM)sfink16 Wrote:  I'm guessing UL gets with SDST's loss. Or it still could go to UTSA. I don't think Houston can get it because they didn't win the conference. Is that correct? They actually could end up being higher ranked than either team.

Correct...the CFP games are considered NY6 games.

BYU is the only non-P5 team that has a chance, but I doubt they would get selected (unless the Fiesta Bowl thinks they can draw some fans).
12-04-2021 08:16 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
BYU can get chosen as an at large but they don’t get the access game since they are not in a G5 conference.
12-04-2021 08:18 PM
Advertisement

Cubanbull1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
No one gets a NY6 bowl bid. UC gets into CFP as the G5 highest rated champ.
12-04-2021 08:19 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(12-04-2021 08:19 PM)Cubanbull1 Wrote:  No one gets a NY6 bowl bid. UC gets into CFP as the G5 highest rated champ.

This. The Access goes to the highest ranked G5 champ. that is Cincy who hopefully won't take it .
12-04-2021 08:21 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army

No one.
Cincinnati is going to the playoff
12-04-2021 08:24 PM
Advertisement

slhNavy91 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Navy
The CFP SemiFinal slot IS an NY6 slot.
Cincinnati getting the CFP SemiFinal IS the highest ranked champion of a non-contract-bowl conference getting an NY6 slot. BLock checked.

Not sure why this is so hard to understand...
12-04-2021 08:28 PM
sfink16 Offline
All American

So two G5 teams are never going to make the NY6 if that's the case. If both Houston and UC were undefeated, I wonder if they both would have been in a NY6 game.
12-04-2021 08:30 PM
Cubanbull1 Offline
Heisman

(12-04-2021 08:30 PM)sfink16 Wrote:  

So two G5 teams are never going to make the NY6 if that's the case. If both Houston and UC were undefeated, I wonder if they both would have been in a NY6 game.

Doubtful. The second would have to get an at large invite and that would be long shot at best.
12-04-2021 08:32 PM
Advertisement

slhNavy91 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Navy

Well, they couldn't have both been undefeated - they just played.

Other threads included theorizing about Houston winning getting the NY6 slot alloted to the highest ranked champion of a non-contract-bowl conference and Cincinnati still being ranked high enough to get an at-large bid...highly unlikely this year, with the last at-large bid probably being gone at #8/#9.
With this year's rankings, and IF the SemiFinals were Rose and Sugar, so that Cotton/Peach/Fiesta were all in play for six "at-large" spots...if Houston had won to take the non-contract-bowl-conference champion slot...hmmmm...assuming a Michigan win also and therefore Bama/Michigan/UGA/ND in the semis...Houston would get one slot; Utah gets an at-large makeup for the Rose; Baylor gets an at-large makeup for the Sugar; ACC champ gets Orange is ACC champ vs next-highest B10/SEC, so Ohio State;...three at-large slots left for upset victim one-loss Cincinnati to stay ahead of BigXII runner-up by inches 2-loss Oklahoma State (who was already poised to pass them if they both won), two-loss Michigan State (who had been ranked ahead of them in previous committee rankings), and two-loss BYU (who has wins over PAC champ Utah, four other PAC teams, and BigXII champ Baylor)....and I see Cincinnati ranked #11 or #12 and NOT getting an NY6 slot.

Esoterically, that's not "P5" bias, that's existing NY6 Bowl contract bias.
In previous years, teams in the top 12 have missed out on NY6 bowl bids, not so much because the "G5" champ stole a bid, but because a contract-bowl compensation bid went to a conference #2 outside the top 12, or last year specifically, PAC12 champ was as low as #25.
12-04-2021 09:00 PM
sfink16 Offline
All American

(12-04-2021 09:00 PM)slhNavy91 Wrote:  

Well, they couldn't have both been undefeated - they just played.

Other threads included theorizing about Houston winning getting the NY6 slot alloted to the highest ranked champion of a non-contract-bowl conference and Cincinnati still being ranked high enough to get an at-large bid...highly unlikely this year, with the last at-large bid probably being gone at #8/#9.
With this year's rankings, and IF the SemiFinals were Rose and Sugar, so that Cotton/Peach/Fiesta were all in play for six "at-large" spots...if Houston had won to take the non-contract-bowl-conference champion slot...hmmmm...assuming a Michigan win also and therefore Bama/Michigan/UGA/ND in the semis...Houston would get one slot; Utah gets an at-large makeup for the Rose; Baylor gets an at-large makeup for the Sugar; ACC champ gets Orange is ACC champ vs next-highest B10/SEC, so Ohio State;...three at-large slots left for upset victim one-loss Cincinnati to stay ahead of BigXII runner-up by inches 2-loss Oklahoma State (who was already poised to pass them if they both won), two-loss Michigan State (who had been ranked ahead of them in previous committee rankings), and two-loss BYU (who has wins over PAC champ Utah, four other PAC teams, and BigXII champ Baylor)....and I see Cincinnati ranked #11 or #12 and NOT getting an NY6 slot.

Esoterically, that's not "P5" bias, that's existing NY6 Bowl contract bias.
In previous years, teams in the top 12 have missed out on NY6 bowl bids, not so much because the "G5" champ stole a bid, but because a contract-bowl compensation bid went to a conference #2 outside the top 12, or last year specifically, PAC12 champ was as low as #25.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. And yes, I meant to say both UC and Houston undefeated prior to the game today. We don't know where an undefeated Houston team would have been ranked prior to today's game. That said, I'm not certain UC doesn't get the nod over Oklahoma State since their only loss would have come to the only undefeated team left in Houston. That and the win of CFP bound ND, using that hypothetical scenario.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2021 09:18 PM by sfink16.)
12-04-2021 09:16 PM
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
Best chance for two Non-contract conference teams to make the NY6 would be to have two unbeaten from different conferences and a solid SOS.

Houston would have qualified this year for example if they won their games against Cincinnati and TxTech (but might not have made the playoffs).

UTSA didn’t have the SOS this year for an at large but could have swung the access spot at 13-0 if it had been a down year for the AAC. (Like it was for the MWC)

And yes the 12-1 Houston/Cincinnati combo had a small chance at an at-large but would have been a stretch.
12-05-2021 11:20 AM
Cubanbull1 Offline
Heisman

(12-05-2021 11:20 AM)owl at the moon Wrote:  Best chance for two Non-contract conference teams to make the NY6 would be to have two unbeaten from different conferences and a solid SOS.

Houston would have qualified this year for example if they won their games against Cincinnati and TxTech (but might not have made the playoffs).

UTSA didn’t have the SOS this year for an at large but could have swung the access spot at 13-0 if it had been a down year for the AAC. (Like it was for the MWC)

And yes the 12-1 Houston/Cincinnati combo had a small chance at an at-large but would have been a stretch.

Chances are slim to none. Reason is that after the highest ranked G5 conference champion. The NY6 bowl slots are chosen by P conference champions not in playoffs, their runner ups and then who ever the bowls wants to invite. They will go for bigger names teams with more fans to travel is all a money decision. This is why you won’t see two of those schools invited.
There would be a bigger chance of that happening in a 12 team playoff where the 6 at large at chosen based on ranks.
12-05-2021 11:33 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.